Rise in Tips ?

Josy1953

.............."please mark excellent, good is not good enough" Employment on cruise ships is highly valued.David.

Thats why they do it, bigger stations = more tips.

By all means look at the table you are assigned on the first day of the cruise.

Ask to have it changed if you need to, but a request to the Maitre D' does not mean a change is going to happen.

Cruising is a great vacation.

Long may it continue

This has been a great thread and I have followed it with much interest as I am sure many others have.

In our case we booked a cruise in early February before the rise in the tips was announced, I am annoyed that P&O did not say that anyone who had booked previous to the announcement of the tips rising to £5 pppd could pay the original price of £3.95 pppd. To me it shows a lack of respect and is poor customer service.

So I intend when we cruise in July to ensure we only pay the £3.95 pp and after that fair enough £5.

all passengers are potentially paying a gratuity that P&O is contracted to pay to the employee anyway .

P&O are not contracted to pay the employee any tips or make up any shortfall.

P&O pay the crew a salarary, however small it is and nothing else.

There are recommended gratuties / guidelines for gratuties, and if the waiter/ steward receives them from the passengers, well then its great.

If not, well tough, as there is no comeback on P&O.

which is a shame.

But it is a system that has been in place for yonks and is perharps due an overhaul.

It was in place when a waiter served the same passengers for breakfast lunch and dinner. A time when first seating meant first seating for all meals. So the "Personal" service was there.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn is a model

In our case we booked a cruise in early February before the rise in the tips was announced, I am annoyed that P&O did not say that anyone who had booked previous to the announcement of the tips rising to £5 pppd could pay the original price of £3.95 pppd. To me it shows a lack of respect and is poor customer service.

So I intend when we cruise in July to ensure we only pay the £3.95 pp and after that fair enough £5.

Thats a fair point for anyone not happy with the price increase since making their booking, and is an option that I hadn't thought of. I assume you could visit the reception desk onboard and reduce the auto tip to whatever amount you choose? As you say, you could then pay the £5 fee on any future cruise.

Edited by Big Stevie

Thats a fair point for anyone not happy with the price increase since making their booking, and is an option that I hadn't thought of. I assume you could visit the reception desk onboard and reduce the auto tip to whatever amount you choose? As you say, you could then pay the £5 fee on any future cruise.

Well I cant see why not surely if some people are taking them off altogether then having people pay a set amount is better than nothing. Yes I shall be visiting the reception desk and reducing ours.

Also during our last cruise on Ventura we paid the full auto tips and tipped the cabin steward, after reading the posts in this topic we will now not be doing tipping the cabin steward.

Well I cant see why not surely if some people are taking them off altogether then having people pay a set amount is better than nothing. Yes I shall be visiting the reception desk and reducing ours.

Also during our last cruise on Ventura we paid the full auto tips and tipped the cabin steward, after reading the posts in this topic we will now not be doing tipping the cabin steward.

I guess different people auto tip for completely different reasons, with each person having their own belief as to what happens to them. Perhaps most mistakingly believe they get evenly distributed amongst all staff. At least those who read this thread will have a better insight into the auto tipping process.

Personally this thread is swaying me from my initial stance of removing the auto tips, to now seriously considering leaving them on.

Edited by Big Stevie

[quote=P&O Lynn Knickers;45918 P&O are not contracted to pay the employee any tips or make up any shortfall.

On Cunard, I am told, they are contractually obliged to make up the shortfall to an agreed minimum. Is this not the same on P&O?

As for moving table at dinner, a friend of mine goes to the Maitre d' and says the people on our table are not socially acceptable to us and he is moved immediately. He says it never fails.

I am a first time cruiser in July on Azura. I think I am now more confused than ever regarding tips. I was going to leave on my auto tips but now it seems people have said they are tipping on top of this to the waiter staff on the last night and you may be the only one on a full table not doing it. Do the staff look for a tip on top of their auto tips almost hand out type of thing. Or can I safely avoid embarrassment and leave on my auto tips and that is it. Do I need to tip any other staff anywhere else, if auto tips only covers some staff. Also it seems some tables in the MDR are not as nice as others and not in such a desirable position as others can someone expand on this for me.

[quote name=P&O Lynn Knickers;45918

As for moving table at dinner' date=' a friend of mine goes to the Maitre d' and says the people on our table are not socially acceptable to us and he is moved immediately. He says it never fails.[/quote]

Yes we have done this a few times (the people were defo unacceptable)

David.

I am a first time cruiser in July on Azura. I think I am now more confused than ever regarding tips. I was going to leave on my auto tips but now it seems people have said they are tipping on top of this to the waiter staff on the last night and you may be the only one on a full table not doing it. Do the staff look for a tip on top of their auto tips almost hand out type of thing. Or can I safely avoid embarrassment and leave on my auto tips and that is it. Do I need to tip any other staff anywhere else, if auto tips only covers some staff. Also it seems some tables in the MDR are not as nice as others and not in such a desirable position as others can someone expand on this for me.

I'm a cruise virgin myself, but here's my take on it...

I will no doubt now be leaving auto tips on, but I seriously doubt that I will be tipping anyone in addition to this. Nor will I feel obliged to do so regardless of what other people on my table are doing (although I'm on freedom dining). I accept if others are tipping on the last night might make me/you feel obliged to do the same, but maybe these tippers removed auto tips? Regardless, I won't allow what others do to influence myself. If I don't want to tip extra (and I doubt I will) then I won't do so. Others can do as they please. Maybe some of them doi it to feel self important, or richer than others on the table. However, I don't have such insecurities.

Rant over :)

Edited by Big Stevie

I will no doubt now be leaving auto tips on, but I seriously doubt that I will be tipping anyone in addition to this. Nor will I feel obliged to do so regardless of what other people on my table are doing (although I'm on freedom dining). I accept if others are tipping on the last night might make me/you feel obliged to do the same, but maybe these tippers removed auto tips? Regardless, I won't allow what others do to influence myself. If I don't want to tip extra (and I doubt I will) then I won't do so. Others can do as they please. Maybe some of them doi it to feel self important, or richer than others on the table. However, I don't have such insecurities.

I'm in pretty much the same position as you, Stevie. I may if I feel inclined tip others such as porters at the terminal, or room service for example, but do not expect to be tipping extra to those who will already benefit from my auto gratuities (which I will be leaving on unless I get abysmal service).

I have already laid out a heck of a lot of money (for me) on cruising solo in a balcony cabin, five ship booked excursions, renewed passport, coach connection, blah blah blah. This leaves me having to moderate my further spending once the holiday is underway. I'm allowing myself a guide budget per day, and the auto grats, which together should leave me with a credit card bill I'm happy to manage.

I'm not going to be lured into throwing money about willy nilly and will certainly not be spending my much deserved holiday feeling like I'm being milked for cash. If there is any "pressure" such as continuous upselling or being pestered for stuff I'm not interested in, I will be instructing them to get off my back in no uncertain terms. If others don't like that, quite frankly I couldn't care less. My holiday, my decisions, and the only face I am obliged to put a smile on is my own. I'm going on this cruise for my benefit, not theirs.

First you will enjoy the cruise. leave auto tips on or prepay them and forget about it. Nobody will expect more and the staff know you have paid.

As for dinning if you are not on Freedom dining and do not like the table you are given, the time or the table company simply ask to be moved.

hope it helps j

Well said Stevie I am right there with you

I was going to leave on my auto tips but now it seems people have said they are tipping on top of this to the waiter staff on the last night and you may be the only one on a full table not doing it. .

But you have no way of knowing if they have left the tips in place.

If you would feel uneasy with this just go to the Pursers desk and ask for the gratuities to be reduced by, say, £20. Put that amount in the envelope and hand it in alongside all the others.

Don't believe everything you hear on board or here. Particularly in regard to tips.

David.

please please do not worry about this at all whatsoever.

leave the auto tips on, go on the cruise and enjoy yourself-you will-lots.

On the last night you can just get up from the table and say goodbye to all, and the waiters if you can find them.

Before auto came in, I never used to tip whilst sat at the table and in full view of everyone (always strikes me a bit of lady bountiful!) I would say my goodbyes to the table mates, then find the waiters ,and say goodbye ,whilst handing the envelope over.

Now as I leave auto on I just say goobye.

If others wish to make a show /performance of the envelope, that is up to them.You do not have to follow suit.

Please come back when you have done your cruise and let us know if you are hooked.

please please do not worry about this at all whatsoever.

leave the auto tips on, go on the cruise and enjoy yourself-you will-lots.

On the last night you can just get up from the table and say goodbye to all, and the waiters if you can find them.

Before auto came in, I never used to tip whilst sat at the table and in full view of everyone (always strikes me a bit of lady bountiful!) I would say my goodbyes to the table mates, then find the waiters ,and say goodbye ,whilst handing the envelope over.

Now as I leave auto on I just say goobye.

If others wish to make a show /performance of the envelope, that is up to them.You do not have to follow suit.

Please come back when you have done your cruise and let us know if you are hooked.

Excellent advice exactly what I will do. I will come back and let you know how it goes.

Before auto tips were introduced we would take a pack of thank you cards on board and I would personalise a little thank you to the different staff we tipped and insert our cash tips into the envelope. Now with auto tips I am still happy to hand over a little personal thank you card to individual staff and of course no one else knows the contents of the envelope and I hope that the sentiment is appreciated.

We always leave tips on. On our last cruise by chance I was walking through the reception area to find a queue snaking all round the atrium and beyond. I could see an officer handing out forms so asked someone what they were for, he said 'removal of tips'. If hundreds removed them b4 the increase, I can't see how anyone will gain by increasing them as it wil just encourage even more to stop them.

Include them in cruise price as an add on is the only way to ensure equal pay for all.

I have to say that I believe in the auto tipping system .. well I did until a recent cruise. Speaking to a cabin steward .. not ours but a lad we had known from before .. he was saying his biggest worry was the Q&A form .. if 3 out of his 20 cabins mark him down as less than excellent he loses his bonus (our tips from the pool) from ALL his passengers. He was saying that some folk are really awful and try as he does to go beyond passenger expectations' date=' if they mark him down he loses out terribly.

So, I guess at least if you cancel auto tips and give an envelop at the end of a cruise you can be content that at least your tip has been received.[/quote']

We were told the same thing. We removed our auto tips and tipped the usual suspects at the end of the cruise.

There's been a wide range of views in this thread, but at the end of the day it's entirely down to the individual as to what they do.

As much as I'd prefer the cost to be included in the base fare, I don't want to deprive a hard working crew of cash either. I'll compromise by reducing the gratuity level to what it was at the time I booked. I think that's fair. I was expecting it to be £3.95 per day, so that's what I'll pay.

I'll continue to reward any exceptional service with cash tips, just like I would if the gratuities were included.

I'm not particularly bothered by what other people do. I won't be influenced by people handing over envelopes in the dining room, any more than I'll be influenced by people here saying that they won't tip. I'll make up my own mind and do what I feel is fair and right. What others decide is their own business.

We were told the same thing. We removed our auto tips and tipped the usual suspects at the end of the cruise.

Sorry this is wrong. The tips are not taken away with a poor score. They cannot be.

The score is all to do with the Bonus. The bonus and the tip are separate.

Hi All

Do not know how P&O works but on some cruise lines so no reason P&O is any different but if auto tip removed room steward can not keep cash tip at end of cruise but has to hand it in to pool, auto tip left in place they keep the cash tip.

Again some room stewards are under contract where they have a guaranteed amount, this is not wages paid by cruise line, but the amount of auto tip they get if a short fall then cruise line pays the difference,

On turn around days you will see room stewards paying other crew to help them get cabins ready,

Just do an internet search for folks that used to be room stewards and read their storries

yours Shogun

Edited by Shogun