Fitness Classes

luv2cruz62

With my DH recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, we are now on a bit of a fitness kick....my question is this: I know we can use the fitness centre at any time during the open hours, but is there an extra charge for the zumba and yoga classes? Does anyone else know of any other classes that are offered on board? We are on the Caribbean Princess for 2 weeks!:p

With my DH recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, we are now on a bit of a fitness kick....my question is this: I know we can use the fitness centre at any time during the open hours, but is there an extra charge for the zumba and yoga classes? Does anyone else know of any other classes that are offered on board? We are on the Caribbean Princess for 2 weeks!:p

I can answer for the Zumba - there is no extra charge. The Zumba classes are done by the cruise director staff (not the fitness center). Watch the Patter, but typically, they are done every sea day.

Zumba, in my experience, has been no charge and is usually offered by a member of the Cruise Staff.

Yoga classes have required a fee.

Free classes I've personally enjoyed are the "Wake and Stretch" (harder than you think) along with the "Abs Workshop" (well, as far as enjoyment goes, my favorite part of the Abs Workshop is finishing).

Edited by beg3yrs

I'm booked on three Princess cruises this year and haven't sailed with them in a long time. I wondered what the opening hours were for the Fitness Center and whether that is fleet wide? I'm a very early riser and like to start the day with a workout.

Also do they tend to play music in the Center? Personally I hate that as it's often too loud and/or definitely not my taste in music.

And is there an open area with mats where one can do some stretching?

I'm booked on three Princess cruises this year and haven't sailed with them in a long time. I wondered what the opening hours were for the Fitness Center and whether that is fleet wide? I'm a very early riser and like to start the day with a workout.

Also do they tend to play music in the Center? Personally I hate that as it's often too loud and/or definitely not my taste in music.

And is there an open area with mats where one can do some stretching?

The fitness center hours are 6am-10pm

I personally like to go early because how the gym is set up it can get quite hot in there quickly. When classes aren't happening you can use that area for stretching.

I'm not sure about the music, always bring my own, but they also have TVs attached do the treadmills and steppers if you just bring your own headphones.

Zumba, in my experience, has been no charge and is usually offered by a member of the Cruise Staff.

Free classes I've personally enjoyed are the "Wake and Stretch" (harder than you think) along with the "Abs Workshop" (well, as far as enjoyment goes, my favorite part of the Abs Workshop is finishing).

How strenuous is the wake and stretch?

So did the two free classes make you feel better as the day kicked off? May have to give it a try myself...guess the worst would be get worn out and have to go nap on the balcony.

So did the two free classes make you feel better as the day kicked off? May have to give it a try myself...guess the worst would be get worn out and have to go nap on the balcony.

I noticed another poster had the experience where the Wake and Stretch class was followed by the ABS Workout class. That was not my experience as only one was offered each sea day and they alternated. But of course on different ships at different times with different instructors, that's what you get, differences.

Now, to answer your question, that's an absolute YES. They were very helpful. I typically followed the class with a three to five mile fast walk, then came the well-deserved nap on the balcony.

When you're on the ship for a long cruise, this must be done so you can fit through the doors when you finally disembark.

I noticed another poster had the experience where the Wake and Stretch class was followed by the ABS Workout class. That was not my experience as only one was offered each sea day and they alternated. But of course on different ships at different times with different instructors, that's what you get, differences.

Now, to answer your question, that's an absolute YES. They were very helpful. I typically followed the class with a three to five mile fast walk, then came the well-deserved nap on the balcony.

When you're on the ship for a long cruise, this must be done so you can fit through the doors when you finally disembark.

Looking forward to the well-deserved nap on the balcony....and yes...I do want to fit in the airline seat on the way home! lol :o

the hard part will be getting up that early...:(

Can anyone tell me please what the cost of the Pilates classes is? I pay £12.00 (about $18.00) per class here in the UK but it is with an excellent teacher with a maximum of 6 people. I would love to continue while onboard Coral on some of our many sea days next month during the Panama Canal cruise. Also, how may people are accepted into the classes and are the teachers well qualified to instruct Pilates?

Many thanks.

In my experience the free drop in stretch class and abs classes don't always make it onto the daily patter though they are offered every day ( or almost every day) for the early birds. They usually want a minimum number to show up for each class to be a go, but usually meet the minimum.

The fitness centre has copies of its class schedule that you can pick up (and sign up sheets for some kinds of classes)

LOL...totally agree. Also found that as I cruise more, I don't bother stuffing myself with food at every meal. That said the available junk food all day is a trouble spot for me.

I may try the free group classes followed by some cycle time and perhaps stairs and laps. On my last cruise I was new with the FitBit, which ultimately bit the dust during one recharge, I walked laps around the decks and used the stairs to go between each deck. Every morning and often in the evenings I would walk every deck at least once, some decks I did several times. Got to greet just about every room steward at one point on the cruise. I've been known to just do stairs, which can begin to get funny looks from crew members working cleaning the stairs until about the third of fourth lap then they get what's up.