Royal Caribbean with an Infant

Doctor_Who

I have some questions for those who have done cruises with infants on RCI:

1) Stroller - It 23" too wide? What about 21.5"? My umbrella is 19.5" but makes airport travel a lot harder since the car seat can't attach to it.

2) Excursions - Is there a lot of options (we will probably be doing Eastern Caribbean)?

3) Baby Slash Zone - We will definitely be going on a ship that has one but anyone have any experiences with it? Any pictures?

4) Crib - I have a very portable travel playard. Is it worth bringing or better to just request a crib?

5) Laundry - I know there are no self serve laundry facilities so what do you do???? I highly doubt I can get through a week without laundry lol.

6) Water - Is the ship water okay to make formula with?

Thanks!!

Edited by Doctor_Who
Edit to Add

Just make sure you are going on an Oasis class or Freedom class ship, as these are the only 5 ships with an "infant only water facility". Some ships have "baby pools" or "splash areas" but non-potty trained kids are not allowed.

As for the ship's water, the only thing I might worry about is the chlorine. To get around this, either get your water from a water dispenser at the buffet or bar, or use a Brita type filtered water bottle or pitcher. The drink dispensers at the dining venues use charcoal filters to remove the chlorine, and the Brita will work similarly. Or you can just fill a pitcher with water from the sink, and let it sit open for a couple hours and the chlorine will dissipate naturally. You may want to ask your pediatrician whether or not a 0.5ppm chlorine level would be detrimental to an infant (I'm not a doctor, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express). Typically, the "cold" water in your cabin is lukewarm as the water is constantly recirculated.

For stroller width, I contacted the special needs access department (on NCL, but I am assuming They all have one) and they were able to tell me the usable width of the cabin doors. We used the crib they provided but brought our own sheets for it. We did make it through the week without doing laundry. Fortunately baby clothes are small :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The water is just as good as your water at home, and probably better! If fine for formula. Get your child used to room temp...no way to "warm" things very well...you could immerse a bottle in hot water from your sink...

Yeah...RCI needs to get with the program on laundry....but they will do laundry for you.,..for a cost!

Just request a P&P...RCI doesn't do "cribs"...they will provide sheets, so you don't need to worry about washing them!

We have had a lot of success with attaching the car seat to our rolling carry on luggage with a mommy hook. The mommy hook isn't expensive, so it might be worth buying and trying ahead of time just to see if it works with your specific car seat.

Also, please note that on all the ships I've sailed (not RC) the laundry carts are frequently in the hallway. You can't roll a stroller past a laundry cart, so you might want to scout out the hallway first prior to deciding which direction to take to the elevator, or before loading all your stuff on the stroller, only to have to take it off a few feet away so you can pass a laundry cart.

You can find info about excursions on the location board, or when you narrow down your destinations parents on the family board may also be able to help you. I started my search for excursions by looking at the ship tour options, and then trying to duplicate those excursions as private tours, so we could return to the ship immediately if necessary, plus we didn't have to worry about our toddler ruining anyone else's excursion. Private excursions are generally cheaper than the trip ones, and much more manageable for a family. Tripadvisor will also have information about less well known attractions that might appeal to young children.

Edited by kitkat343

Stroller: We used an umbrella stroller for everything. We loved the Chicco Echo. If you have a Chicco car seat you can purchase the Chicco Liteway, which is an umbrella stroller that has a top that folds down and holds a car seat. The Echo stroller is $99 and the Liteway is $179. But I have to say they are amazing strollers.

http://www.target.com/p/chicco-liteway-plus-stroller/-/Ahttp://

15210011#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=chicco+stroller

Excursions: Once the cruise is booked, I searched for ones that listed all ages. There are only particular ones that allow infants. However, there is no charge for them. Finally! The other option is using the ships daycare services and going on an excursion without the baby, if your comfortable with that.

Baby Splash Zone: It was amazing. Our son had a great time!

Crib: They provide a Graco pack and play. My theory was the less junk I have to bring along the better. I would just request one. Do remember to bring the play yard sheets for it, they do not have sheets to fit it. If you are staying at a hotel before or after the cruise, just make sure they provide one as well. They're very easy to find. We had them remove the coffee table in our room to make room for the crib.

Laundry: You can make a homemade version of doing laundry. Take a gallon zip lock bag and add some detergent and mix it together really well. Rinse and hang it up to dry. You can find one time use packets of detergent at Target (up & up brand). We also bought disposable bibs to use for meals. The were strong and decreased our clean up. I found them at Target, but here is what they were.

http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Disposable-Bibs-24-Pack/dp/B000G3BC80

http://www.target.com/p/tide-detergent-travel-size-original-scent-1-load/-/A-13970895#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=laundry+detergent

Water: Not sure. I have seen some people bring already mixed formula.

I have some photos, but I can't figure out how to add them to the post. Sorry...

Edited by Sophie123

Thanks!

I'm actually thinking of getting the Phil and Teds Traveller instead of using their playard. We are doing a hotel for a night or two before plus it's smaller that a pack and play. It's really light and can actually fit in my suitcase so not something crazy to travel with.

Good idea about the homemade laundry. Probably won't get as clean as a washer but it's something!

I'd love to see pictures of the Baby Splash Zone if you have any because I'm struggling to find any online.

Thanks!

I'm actually thinking of getting the Phil and Teds Traveller instead of using their playard. We are doing a hotel for a night or two before plus it's smaller that a pack and play. It's really light and can actually fit in my suitcase so not something crazy to travel with.

Good idea about the homemade laundry. Probably won't get as clean as a washer but it's something!

I'd love to see pictures of the Baby Splash Zone if you have any because I'm struggling to find any online.

Here's one that someone posted on CC a while back, I just googled "baby splash zone oasis of the seas" to find some views.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fboards.cruisecritic.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D906586&ei=8eH9VIG8K4ypgwTW_IKIDQ&bvm=bv.87611401,d.eXY&psig=AFQjCNEurVea4nLJJea0KTReVP5Yo_SHIQ&ust=1426010972046681

It is pretty much a small area 1-2" deep with some water jets pointing up. It has a separate water system from the rest of the pools and splash areas, since it is required to have a quicker turn over time for filtration/chlorination, as well as a UV sterilizer for the water. There should be a crewmember assigned to the infant only area full time.

I don't know how old your infant will be on your cruise, but what worked well for DD on our first cruise with our DGS was an inflatable wading pool. It fit neatly between two lounge chairs so his parents could get some time at the pool and was better for a not-yet-walker.

A bonus was being able to put it in the shower and using it to bathe him.

Thanks for the splash zone pics :)

Baby will be between 6 and 12 months. I was thinking about bringing the inflatable bath so that's a good idea about using it was a pool. Where'd you dump the water after (since dumping it into the pool defeats the purpose of keeping them out of the pool lol)?

On another thread, people were talking about bringing bottled water, by wrapping it in brown paper (think cutting a brown grocery bag) and putting a luggage tag on it. Some have just put a tag on the case of water. We're packing two brown cardboard boxes full of DS's stuff including a half case of water.... I'll let you know how it goes.

We took our citi mini stroller by baby jogger on the Freedom class and Oasis class ships (Disney Fantasy too) and it just fit through the stateroom doorways. (Note that I doubt the newer citi mini GT probably would fit because the wheels are larger).

I agree that taking your own fitted crib sheet for the pack n play is a good idea as they will just use a normal sheet. The first couple of cruises we took our own pack n play because we lived near the port and didn't have to worry about airline luggage fees. That being said, the pack n plays we saw on the cruise line looked fine and the only real advantage to bringing our own pack n play was the ability to put our son down for a nap on embarkation day. (Our experience has been that it is unlikely that the pack n play will be set up in your stateroom upon arrival).

Oh, and be sure to bring a few water toys for your little one. Splashing in the couple of inches of water is fun for a while, but the toys will make the fun last longer. He/she will surely make a couple friends in the splash area that way too. On that note, when we sailed on the Liberty there were a couple of designated times where a staff member from the Royal Babies/Tots program would bring water toys to the splash area. Not sure if they still do it, but you should inquire with the nursery staff when you board.

Edited by elephant98

• 2 months later...
Just a quick update: Cruised in May and Freedom of the Seas provided a fitted sheet for the Pack n Plays! Same quality as the white sheets on the actual beds.

RCI now has fitted p-n-play sheets ? I usually bring my own (not white) so they won't get lost or taken by the cabin steward...I'll bring my own for this September cruise just in case ROS doesn't have them...thanks for the possibility...about time RCI got them.

I used our regular stroller- it fit in the closet, excursions depend on what you like, but probably not a ton (not sure on this, we tend to stay onboard or get off and walk around but we've cruised a ton and done the ports- we go for the relaxing getaway). Splash zone- tiny but adequate, bring a few small toys (balls etc). It does have some small 'fountain' features, crib- they will provide a pack n play, bring your own sheets (although i bring my own pack n play just because he's used to it and I live close to the port), laundry- i do it when i get home... 4 cruises with the little guy and no problems. I have rinsed a few things in the shower. 6. You can bring water if you're concerned... My kiddo was ebf so not sure but our besties brought water to mix. Also just fyi the 5 ships with the baby splash zone also have a music class, art class, and play time. Oasis class has an AWESOME play room depending on if your baby is crawling for little guys.

RCI now has fitted p-n-play sheets ? I usually bring my own (not white) so they won't get lost or taken by the cabin steward...I'll bring my own for this September cruise just in case ROS doesn't have them...thanks for the possibility...about time RCI got them.

Yup, elastic and all! The Freedom had them on our May cruise. However, the Brilliance did not have them when we went in February, so it's a good idea to bring some just in case. I brought my own mattress pad to go underneath to add some fluff. So few companies make fitted pack n play sheets, I think these were made specifically for RCCL because they matched the regular bed linen.

I would suggest that you take a look at the Royal website and ask the question about cribs/play yards The play yards that they will give you in the room have really small max height/wieght requirements. I think that the maximum height for the baby is only like 24 inches, which I am sure most 6-12 month old babies exceed. Our daughter is in like hte 50th percentile and she was 24 inches long probably around the 5 month age or so. She is not 15 months and is around 32 inches long.

We are considering bringing our pack and play. It is easy to setup and take down. We have the 4Moms brand and all you do is push the middle part down and it is setup. takes 30 secnds total. If we dont bring it we may just flip the couch around for her to sleep on.

On the water for the formula, I am sure it is perfectly fine, but you could fiter it using a brita type filter. Also if you need to warm the formula up I have found the easiest and fastest way to do it is to put it int a ziplock bag and put it under hot running water. You can heat up 5-6 oz within a minute. You could easliy fit a box of ziplock bags in your luggage, plus any leftover you can use to pack toiletries and what not.

The two RCCL ships we went on both had the standard size Graco PNP, if that helps. They were the same model and color. My son is 25lbs and 32 inches tall and he was totally fine it it, but he does use the same one at daycare, so he's familiar with sleeping in it. I think the limits are 35in/30lbs. That's a great idea about the couch! It would definitely save space.

Per the Royal Caribbean website. "

Play Yard's specifics:

For use by children unable to climb out, less than 24" tall, and less than 30 lbs. Mesh on four sides Sets up in less than one minute Strong and stable, yet lightweight Approx. dimensions 28"W x 38 7/8"L x 31-1/4"H Mattress/pad is 1" thick Sheets are provided Folds for storage and includes carrying bag with handle

Play Yard's should be reserved in advance so that we are sure we have enough onboard.

Please Note: Only one Play Yard per stateroom can be reserved in advance. Requests for additional units must be made onboard."

The actual limit on the play yard is probably 35 inches and 30 lbs. but RCCL has a different limit I'm sure for liability reasons. I was surprised by this which is why we might be bringing our own.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be sailing Grandeur with a 6 month old in 4 months, so this thread is quite helpful!

Where'd you dump the water after (since dumping it into the pool defeats the purpose of keeping them out of the pool lol)?

I am also curious where you dump the water...if on balcony? if near the pool?

Also, if I need to store milk, can I request a refrigerator ahead of time to be in our room? We are in a suite, so will have the horrible mini-fridge, but really, that's more like a cooler.

I will be sailing Grandeur with a 6 month old in 4 months, so this thread is quite helpful!

I am also curious where you dump the water...if on balcony? if near the pool?

Also, if I need to store milk, can I request a refrigerator ahead of time to be in our room? We are in a suite, so will have the horrible mini-fridge, but really, that's more like a cooler.

Every balcony usually has a deck drain in it, and the tub water can go down this, or you can use whatever you filled it with (bucket, scoop) and bail it back into your shower. On the pool deck, the pool showers are the best place to dump tub water.

Every balcony usually has a deck drain in it, and the tub water can go down this, or you can use whatever you filled it with (bucket, scoop) and bail it back into your shower. On the pool deck, the pool showers are the best place to dump tub water.

Thanks! I have never really noticed that all the balconies have deck drains, and if I did see one, I would have assumed that specific balcony just happened to have it.

Anyone know about storing breast milk? I am hoping to call Royal sometime this week, but those plans can easily change with a 2 month old in the house :)

Anyone know about storing breast milk? I am hoping to call Royal sometime this week, but those plans can easily change with a 2 month old in the house :)

You would need to contact special needs to have a medical refrigerator in your cabin. Since you are in a suite, you might want to confirm that with the concierge who will make certain that it is there for you.