Cunard washed my husband's Armani Tux

PunkiC

Well, actually at what point was there confusion between "press" and "wash"? In what world would any on board laundry or dry cleaning service confuse a tux with a washable item? These people are hired, trained, and working hard to do a good job. Obviously something went very wrong and Cunard should have stepped up immediately and simply restored the tux or given reimbursement during the cruise. There are people on board who have the authority to over ride the "you will have to contact Cunard" clause. They should have stepped up.

I don't know if this is relevant to Cunard ?? - but I was recently on Sea Princess and was told that they no longer do "dry cleaning" for environmental reasons. Everything is washed.

Barry

Hi Barry. Good on Sea Princess for being straight forward. The clothes that I sent out for dry-cleaning on the Caribbean Princess back in 2011 looked like they had been washed and pressed. Just to mention that one of the 'perks' when booking a suite on that ship included dry cleaning at no charge, so being the punter that I am, I sent several garments for dry cleaning near the end of the voyage. Packed those nice clean garments, and only after arriving home, found that they had been ruined; even my local dry pricey cleaner could not restore them.

This is contrary to my experience of dry cleaning on board QM2 - which as always been excellent in the past - but has this changed recently? I'd appreciate reports regarding dry cleaning on QM2 from recent passengers, please. Thanks. - Salacia

We live just up the hiss from Cunard offices in Seattle. We will see what transpires.

Hi PunkiC Ive found a couple of tuxedos online with Armani so at least it may be replaceable with your insurance.

I just googled Armarni, US , and did a search on their site for "Tuxedo"

good luck but I would definitely pursue it. Let us know what happens.

The clothes that I sent out for dry-cleaning on the Caribbean Princess back in 2011 looked like they had been washed and pressed.

If garments have been dry cleaned in the normal way, i.e. using a solvent they will retain a smell of the chemical for a time.

It may be that they are using methods other than genuine dry cleaning and still calling it dry cleaning.

David.

If garments have been dry cleaned in the normal way, i.e. using a solvent they will retain a smell of the chemical for a time.

It may be that they are using methods other than genuine dry cleaning and still calling it dry cleaning.

David.

Hi David, yes that's what I think is happening on that ship - I don't know how many other ships are using the same method. -S.

Having anyone, anywhere, launder a suit or sportscoat - let alone a tux - is not only inexcusable but jaw-droppingly stupid.

My husband loves his Armani tux (I managed to find it for him on sale, 44L, a number of years ago). Replacing it would be difficult and costly. We are doing a TA on the QM2 soon, and after previously reading positive posts about sending clothes for pressing, that had been my plan. Now I'll pack my steamer after all.

Thanks for posting your experience, and my condolences on the loss of the tux. Sadly once a wool suit is laundered, nothing can be done to restore it.

Having anyone, anywhere, launder a suit or sportscoat - let alone a tux - is not only inexcusable but jaw-droppingly stupid.

My husband loves his Armani tux (I managed to find it for him on sale, 44L, a number of years ago). Replacing it would be difficult and costly. We are doing a TA on the QM2 soon, and after previously reading positive posts about sending clothes for pressing, that had been my plan. Now I'll pack my steamer after all.

Thanks for posting your experience, and my condolences on the loss of the tux. Sadly once a wool suit is laundered, nothing can be done to restore it.

good idea, steamers do the job , well they should

Course a couple of good weights might do the trick... :)

We are doing a TA on the QM2 soon, and after previously reading positive posts about sending clothes for pressing, that had been my plan. Now I'll pack my steamer after all.

We have never found that necessary. Just close bathroom door and the shower curtain and turn the shower on as hot as it will go. Soon you you wil have plenty of steam (for the clothes that you hang in the back of the shower). We've used that method on my tuxedo and other clothes many times and it always does the job. If you do absolutely need to press something, you can always use one of the irons in the laundry room.

Bob

Hello all, I am currently on QE and posted in the Live blog about the fact that they were no longer dry cleaning delicates, sequins, etc. I had a little time to

read CC and came across this thread so I thought I would update you here.

As late as 8 Mar, and right this minute confirmed with our steward, NO DRY CLEANING is being accepted ON BOARD. In March 8 DP it states: "Upon review of our dry cleaning operation we have taken the decision, until further notice, to no longer accept items of clothing for dry cleaning on board. For delicate items we will be arranging for dry cleaning to be available in key ports where the service can be offered." This was a change from the previous statement in that now NOTHING can be dry cleaned on board versus things other than delicates.

We will wait to dry clean DH suits and tux upon arrival home.

Hello all, I am currently on QE and posted in the Live blog about the fact that they were no longer dry cleaning delicates, sequins, etc. I had a little time to

read CC and came across this thread so I thought I would update you here.

As late as 8 Mar, and right this minute confirmed with our steward, NO DRY CLEANING is being accepted ON BOARD. In March 8 DP it states: "Upon review of our dry cleaning operation we have taken the decision, until further notice, to no longer accept items of clothing for dry cleaning on board. For delicate items we will be arranging for dry cleaning to be available in key ports where the service can be offered." This was a change from the previous statement in that now NOTHING can be dry cleaned on board versus things other than delicates.

We will wait to dry clean DH suits and tux upon arrival home.

Wow, that is a serious change! Any reason for this sudden change? Does it apply to the other Cunard ships? Sorry for all the questions, but I see I change in the dress code upcoming if there is no dry cleaning available on board. :eek:

Wow, that is a serious change! Any reason for this sudden change? Does it apply to the other Cunard ships? Sorry for all the questions, but I see I change in the dress code upcoming if there is no dry cleaning available on board. :eek:

My thoughts on reading as to articles that are dry cleaned would be not an issue for folks on a cruise up to about 14 days but I would think those on long segments and a World Cruise would have some concerns.

Guess it depends on the items in many men's shirts and pants these days are not needing an iron , just a wash and dry while a jacket does not get dry cleaned for awhile unless it has been a long time or a spill happened.

Certainly many women's dresses are dry cleaned prior to a trip and perhaps during .

It is a good question to send to Cunard Head Office or even their Facebook account as to reason for and options.

Certainly if offering a port option then the responsibility for on time and quality of dry-cleaning rest with them as they would have approved the company prior,,, least one assumes so

Cheers

Two years ago on Queen Victoria, I suffered a bout of norovirus and was confined to my cabin for two days. As part of that, Cunard offers to do laundry for guests for free while they are quarantined. The clothing, as I understand it, would be washed in very, very hot water.

I separately put a new sport jacket in a clearly marked Dry Clean bag with a Dry Clean form attached.

It was only several days after the items were returned that I noticed the jacket lining was showing at the end of the sleeves and the cloth was puckered. When I put on the jacket, it was clear that it also had shrunk.

I notified the front desk who sent someone to examine it and he declared that the jacket must have been washed in hot water and then pressed.

They asked how much I paid for the jacket and I replied $300. This amount was immediately put on my onboard account. Since the cruise was almost over, I purchased various items in the clothing store--mostly nice-to-haves, but nothing really needed.

This was all done sensitively by Cunard and I fully understood how staff made an error in washing the jacket when they did the other clothes.

You are very lucky to have had such a painless replacement experience. We bought this particular tropical-weight tux (amazing for dancing) on sale for $2,135.00, which is also what it would cost to find are placement, IF we could find a replacement.

We went to a black-tie dinner dance tonight and he wore his Nieman Marcus tux with a very, very subtle silver stripe. Nice, but not as cool as his original Armani. He also has another Arman tux, but the fabric is quite a bit heavier and it has pleated pants which he doesn't particularly like.

We are still waiting to hear from Cunard on a resolution.

I really find the constant name dropping, money or oneupmanship that seems to be inherent in your posts/threads, very tiresome. It is not necessary in convivial posting that is shared by many.

Sorry if I offend, but I find reading some of what you write almost unbelievable; I would never say how much anything has cost. Perhaps this is just my English reserve.

I really find the constant name dropping, money or oneupmanship that seems to be inherent in your posts/threads, very tiresome. It is not necessary in convivial posting that is shared by many.

Sorry if I offend, but I find reading some of what you write almost unbelievable; I would never say how much anything has cost. Perhaps this is just my English reserve.

At last someone saying what I was a bit too timid to.

The point has been made that a tux was ruined. End of story.

We didn't need to be told the maker or the price. Or the others in the wardrobe.

And no Lady L it's not just us Brits who cringe at this, or I hope it isn't.

David.

You right. It tacky nouveau riche to talk about price paid for clothes to everyone "This cost $2500 you know".

Real quality bespoke. Not come ready to wear sizes like 43L. But OP not know that. Maybe one day.

Meantime Cunard should immediately give OP true cost of making original suit (without price inflating silly label) in sweat shop. $99.99 ought to cover it (including $99 donated to charity of choice).

Cheers.

Edited by sfb

Have we, perhaps, reached a sufficient number of posts registering disapprobation on the matter of using trade names and such to allow the thread to run its course and die a peaceful death?

I'm sure the OP "heard the message" the first time. One or two "I agrees" are fine, but instead things start to get personal and overly snarky.

Yes, I myself did use the "A" name in my first post on this thread, though in my defense it was on an "I feel your pain" basis because, in both cases, the loss was more an issue if it being a DH favorite. In future I'll send my condolences in a private note, which would also have been an excellent way of correcting an adult rather than resorting to public shaming.

But then, this is the internet...the last vestige of setting up stocks in the public square. ;)

It's a little cringe worthy but what I find remarkable is that she makes suits for him. She made every stitch of clothing in an entire wedding. That takes talent and tenacity that is worth remarking upon.

There is a big difference between an Armani tux and one from the local mens shop. I can see where that would be worth the mention because otherwise the responses would have been to let it go and just move on.

There are many things that I would be devastated over losing....first, some would be very hard to replace, and yes, I would be upset having to put out the money to replace them. Which is why I would never trust a ships laundry for women's wear because they can't possibly be expected to know how to deal with all fabrics. Ruining a tux that was sent for pressing is mind boggling.