What month for the Rhine?

2pbears

We are beginning to do research for a European river cruise and have decided that we would like to do a Rhine cruise (Amsterdam to Basel). We have narrowed down the cruise lines but have not really reached a final decision.

My question for those of you who have cruised this area or are familiar with this area is what month of the year would you choose for this cruise, and why? As always, we will appreciate your valued input.

We are beginning to do research for a European river cruise and have decided that we would like to do a Rhine cruise (Amsterdam to Basel). We have narrowed down the cruise lines but have not really reached a final decision.

My question for those of you who have cruised this area or are familiar with this area is what month of the year would you choose for this cruise, and why? As always, we will appreciate your valued input.

We've done 6 river cruises and are doing this one in late August, 2015. We like to travel in the spring, May-June, and the fall, late Aug-Oct. We like those times because the weather is usually gorgeous. It isn't as hot as it is in July and August but it's still beautifully clear most of the time; it isn't as crowded as summer when the kids are out of school and it's a little cheaper than summer, which is prime travel time.

Thank you Hydrokitty. We tend to be Fall cruisers as well but I was kind of wondering how late in the season we could push it without the weather being to chilly to comfortably sit up on deck.

Don't go too late if you want to sit up top. It gets dark early in the late fall, early winter. We like to travel in the month of Sept. or early Oct.

We sailed the Rhine in July and had perfect weather and really didn't think the crowds were bad. The major plus we found was staying light till close to 10 at night. This allowed us to go for walks along the Rhine or bike rides even after dinner.

Very interesting. I hadn't even taken the daylight factor into account. Well, we have commitments each year for July (lots of family birthdays) and early August (an annual trip with old friends) so maybe we should consider late August or early September? Will we miss the summer heat but be ahead of the Fall chill during that time frame?

I was on the Viking Rhine cruise last November 17th to 24th. The weather was great. We were never cold.

I don't like cold weather so I wouldn't have gone then if I even thought it may be cold..

I see you are from Vancouver Island. Can I ask what is considered cold up there? There might be a gap between what you call cold and what I call cold (we tend to be wimps here in our neck of the woods) :D

My husband and I were on a Viking Rhine cruise in mid-Nov. 2013. It was too cold to sit up on the top deck. (We're from Minnesota and are used to cold-- we actually did sit up top once for about an hour, but we were pretty well frozen when we came back down.)

I see you are from Vancouver Island. Can I ask what is considered cold up there? There might be a gap between what you call cold and what I call cold (we tend to be wimps here in our neck of the woods) :D

Hey 2pbears.... Where is East Bay??? San Francisco or??????? Your profile is confusing to this small town girl!

Very interesting. I hadn't even taken the daylight factor into account. Well, we have commitments each year for July (lots of family birthdays) and early August (an annual trip with old friends) so maybe we should consider late August or early September? Will we miss the summer heat but be ahead of the Fall chill during that time frame?

Late August or early Sept. should be perfect...that's when we went on our first river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest. Days were wonderfully comfortable for sightseeing in capris and short sleeves with cooler evenings. On our "sea" day it was warm enough on deck for shorts.

My husband and I were on a Viking Rhine cruise in mid-Nov. 2013. It was too cold to sit up on the top deck. (We're from Minnesota and are used to cold. We actually did sit up top once for about an hour, but we were pretty well frozen when we came back down.)

Kiyomi and I are going this year in late November and I had not even thought about the short days and now I wish it were earlier because we are both SoCal girls. I lived in Pirmasens, Germany for 2-1/2 years when I was only 18 and froze the entire time and it was either snowing or raining constantly. You would think I had remembered that. :eek: Well, it has been 58 years. :o

To compensate, I am taking some special stuff: ;)

All-wool socks,

Wool cap, gloves, and scarves,

Heavy Silk long underwear. Winter Silks carries them in 3 weights: light, medium, and heavy. They also have long & short-sleeved silk tops and camisoles. Silk is very warm.

Little packages of warmers to put into shoes and gloves. You can buy these at Sports Chalet. Skiers use them.

A UV, brimmed hat suitable for sun, rain, or snow and I can wear it over my wool cap.

Umbrella & raincoat.

I will carry all of these rain & snow accessories in my backpack when going ashore and plan to do morning & afternoon shorex come rain or shine or snow.

BTW, After 37 Ocean cruises, this is my first River Cruise :cool:

Edited by Di Princess

Hello 2pbears,

great info and advice from the other CC members as usual! :):):)

Have you had a look at the sticky by hostjazzbeau yet?

As "cold" is subjective as we all know, let me give you some temperatures from my experience: the summer months vary from 20 to 35 Celsius in the afternoon, lower or higher than that is possible but unusual. Middle of August to middle of September is normally lower in temperatures. Into October it gets cooler and chillier with frost at night possible, but October sometimes has very bright days bringing the temperatures back up to 25 in the afternoon.

Spring is unsettled with larger variations.

The seasons each have their own appeal, the only month I would not travel is November, it is often dull and cold.

Early to middle of October is best for the autumn colours and wine festivals.

You might also like to have a look at public holidays that could get in the way of shopping experiences.

Christmas (market) cruises are magical, but temperatures are around freezing point.

Early Spring: flooding issues. The river is closed by the authorities at short notice in the affected river sections. Traffic can be halted for days.

Summer to autumn: low water issues. The captain decides on sailing or not sailing. Affects shorter sections of the river. The situation can change for the better within hours.

Daylight: sunset in Koblenz on 1 August 21:14, sunset on 31 August 20:17 (internet information).

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

Cool and grey today. River at a comfortable level for sailing.

I grew up in Manitoba and the weather was very cold like 40 below or so.

On Vancouver Island I don't think the weather ever goes below 40 Fahrenheit.

We don't need heavy coats and lined boots for winter... Mostly just a waterproof coat and a sweater.

I prefer river cruising in June/July mainly because it is still daylight after dinner. I've done the Rhine cruise twice, once in each direction, both in July. The weather was great ... plenty of sunshine.

Edited by rogerdawhip

Hey 2pbears.... Where is East Bay??? San Francisco or??????? Your profile is confusing to this small town girl!

Yes, East San Francisco Bay Area, California. We get warmer temperatures over here than they do in San Francisco.

We traveled the Rhine and Mosel from Basel to Amsterdam on the last regular cruise of the season before the Christmas cruises started. That was in November. Loved it! yes it was a bit nippy and damp weather wise, but the grape harvest was in and you can't beat the scenery, no matter what time of year you travel. The tourist crowds were not to be found, either.

As others stated, your own comfort level regarding the weather might be the best gauge to go by. September into October would be glorious for the colour, if not the temperature. Enjoy !

Hello 2pbears,

great info and advice from the other CC members as usual! :):):)

Have you had a look at the sticky by hostjazzbeau yet?

As "cold" is subjective as we all know, let me give you some temperatures from my experience: the summer months vary from 20 to 35 Celsius in the afternoon, lower or higher than that is possible but unusual. Middle of August to middle of September is normally lower in temperatures. Into October it gets cooler and chillier with frost at night possible, but October sometimes has very bright days bringing the temperatures back up to 25 in the afternoon.

Spring is unsettled with larger variations.

The seasons each have their own appeal, the only month I would not travel is November, it is often dull and cold.

Early to middle of October is best for the autumn colours and wine festivals.

You might also like to have a look at public holidays that could get in the way of shopping experiences.

Christmas (market) cruises are magical, but temperatures are around freezing point.

Early Spring: flooding issues. The river is closed by the authorities at short notice in the affected river sections. Traffic can be halted for days.

Summer to autumn: low water issues. The captain decides on sailing or not sailing. Affects shorter sections of the river. The situation can change for the better within hours.

Daylight: sunset in Koblenz on 1 August 21:14, sunset on 31 August 20:17 (internet information).

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

Cool and grey today. River at a comfortable level for sailing.

Notamermaid, Thank you for taking the time to post such great details. It is always helpful to hear information from "locals". You provide a great service here on CC.

My husband and I took this cruise from Amsterdam to Basel, leaving from Amsterdam on November 2nd and arriving in Basel on November 9th. The weather wasn't cold, and the fall colors were just beautiful all the way down the river. We just dressed in layers and were fine. Loved this trip! Would do it again in a heartbeat!

We have done a couple of our trips in November. I kind of enjoy wandering the towns after dark, although I do miss sitting in the Biergarten. We figure when it is cold we can always add a layer . . . when it is hot there is a limit to how many layers we can take off. :p

Another plus is the price differential . . . Allows us an ocean cruise to escape winter in NJ.

We cruised Amsterdam to Basel embarking 6th November last year. What a fabulous time we had. The best memories were the Autumn leaves which were everywhere. Walking through some of the parks and throwing them up in the air as we had done as kids a long time ago. After Basel we travelled through to Lyon where again we embarked another river cruise for a further seven days, 14 days in total and only used umbrella for one hour in Cochem. Weather was really great the whole time. I didn't need any extra warm undergarments just a good warm jacket which you are able to take off easily when going back inside as it is always toasty warm inside the ship and also in some of the attractions which you will visit. I say go in Autumn(Fall) The best!!!!!