First time cruising

Hi

I am hoping some people will be able to help me I have just booked a 7 night cruise on adventure of the sea leaving San Juan 14th May 2016 travelling to the South Caribbean. There are 4 couples travelling together and we are all first time cruisers, we have the basic drinks package included along with my time dining but will need lots of hints and tips to get the best out of this holiday

Hi

I am hoping some people will be able to help me I have just booked a 7 night cruise on adventure of the sea leaving San Juan 14th May 2016 travelling to the South Caribbean. There are 4 couples travelling together and we are all first time cruisers, we have the basic drinks package included along with my time dining but will need lots of hints and tips to get the best out of this holiday

Hard to give you random tips as it depends what you like or enjoy. I'd suggest you just keep looking at threads on cruise critic that interest you or if you think about something specific then post that question.

Have a great cruise :) :) :)

Your best bet is to find the roll call for your cruise and start there. There will be experiened cruisers there that ca help you, plus they are traveling on your actual cruise. So you can get tips and maybe connect with other cruisers on your cruise. I have participated in some roll calls far in advance where we've actually met for lunches prior to the cruise (for some of us living in thesame general area). If you don't see a roll call for your particular cruise because it's too far out, start one yourself. You'll be surprised how many responses you might get, even this far in advance. Our recent TA roll call stated a year and half before the actual cruise.

Relax...it's a VACATION! There is no big mystery to it! Pack for the weather in your ports...and then, do what you want, when you want. Folks will tell you you MUST do this or that...but in reality...you need only do what YOU want to do!

Hi

Since your cruise is over a year away, I think you will learn all need to know gradually and naturally just by coming to the board on a regular basis. No need to take a crash course.

You'll enjoy it. I've only been on two (#3 in a few weeks) but we've had a good time.

I'm not saying people around here don't have legitimate complaints about certain things, but my guess is some of it comes from comparing one cruise to many others. For those of us newer to cruising, you'll find lots to do because it's all new.

Each bar, each club, each show, each performer, each meal - it's all new to you.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Wonderful World of Cruising! :)

Our best hint would be to not try doing everything together.

LuLu

Wise words!

People traveling together tend to do what others want to do instead of what they would really like to do. Our groups go our separate ways, we meet up at dinner and share our experiences of the day.

We love this cruise, I am going on her next month, it will be my second time and I have her booked for next year. If I can answer any questions when I get back I would be happy to.

We love the adult only pool. It is nice and quiet.

Edited by BonnieSte

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Sounds like you're going to have a vacation worth remembering for a long time.

As others have suggested, check your cruise Roll Call here, along with the Ports of Call section for tips on fun things to do. :)

Thank you all for your help I think I will do as suggested keep logging onto the forum and check hints and tips hopefully I will find all the answers on this friendly forum

If you are looking for information regarding the ports you will be visiting Cruise on down to the “Ports Of Call” section and then select Caribbean and then the ports your have questions about. A lot of good information.

Sounds like you're on the right path. You will find lots of "critics" and complainers on the boards. Don't let them scare you away. You will have a great time cruising and will find a lot of very helpful people on these boards as well. My best recommendation is to do your research and figure out what you might like to do. Then ask particular questions to get specific answers. Since we don't know you and you might not like what others do it's hard to give suggestions or recommendations.

yes the port of calls is a very good place to obtain a lot of information. Also go to Roll Calls, RCCL and there might be a thread already for you sailing date. Post on it and other cruisers will help you out. When are you going and what are your ports. Also hotels in PR are very expensive. You should book it now because they go fast. I suggest The Sheraton Convention Center next to the port. Tax rides can get very expensive in PR. And of course always travel the day before the cruise. if you are going to St Kitts, recommend Thenfordgrey Tour-St Kitts. which takes you to the fort and the island and cheaper, http://www.thenfordgreytours.com If you are going to St Marteen then Bernard Tours is awesome. Takes you places the cruise ship does not and takes you to the famous airport to see the planes land. 4 or 5 hours 45.00 free water, rum punch, soda and beer, We do this all the time, Leaves at 9am so you still have time to visit the town.

Let me know if I can help further.

Here are just a few general tips for enjoying your cruise, in no particular order:

1. Don't worry too much about reports you may read about the food. There is plenty to eat on cruises. Some of it is very good; some of it is average. If you don't go in expecting super-premium, gourmet food for every meal, you'll be fine. (Some reports can be very critical.)

2. There will be lots of times when you have the opportunity to pose for pictures on the ship. You don't have to, if you're not interested, but on the other hand, you can pose as many times as you want without being obligated to buy.

3. I think most ships still have art auctions. If you're interested in art (or just want a few glass of cheap sparkling wine), go and enjoy. If you think it's a way to get some kind of unbelievable deal on fine art, don't be fooled. The art dealers want you to think you're getting a steal, but they're on there for the profit. Buy only if you like a piece and think the price is fair, but not because you think you're getting some great deal.

4. Don't feel you have to do everything. I've known some first-timing cruisers to try to do so many activities, shows, etc. that they are constantly running around and don't enjoy it as much.

5. Look at independent tours for your ports in addition to the ship-sponsored tours. There is some safety with ship-sponsored tours, in that if anything goes awry with getting you back to the ship on time, they will be responsible for either waiting for you or finding a way to get you back to the ship. On the other hand, private tours can often be less expensive and give you a more personal experience away from the crowds. I've done some of both in my cruises.

These are just a few general tips that came to mind for a first-timer. I'm sure others can add to the list.:)

Edited by Paul65