Splendida in Tunisia today

Host Jacquelyn

MSC CRUISES CANCELS ALL REMAINING SUMMER 2015 CALLS IN TUNISIA

Four ships will begin to sail amended itineraries with immediate effect

Geneva, 19 March 2015 – In the wake of Thursday’s (18 March) terror attack at the Bordo National Museum, in Tunis, MSC Cruises has decided to suspend all remaining Tunisian calls in the 2015 summer programme in the interests of guest and crewmember safety.

Itineraries affected by the change will impact four of MSC Cruises’ 12 ships as follows:

• MSC Splendida will call at Valletta, in Malta

• MSC Fantasia will call at Palma de Mallorca, Mallorca

• MSC Preziosa will call at Cagliari, in Sardinia

• MSC Divina will call at Valletta a day earlier and head directly to Corfu, Greece

Tunis has long featured on MSC Cruises itineraries, and the city’s extensive range of cultural offerings have proved very popular with visitors.

MSC Cruises Executive Chairman Pierfrancesco Vago said: “Sadly, the murderous actions of the people behind this devastating attack will have far-reaching and profoundly damaging effects on democratic Tunisia and its faltering economy. Tunisia can little afford to be considered a no-go zone at this time, but regrettably that is how tourists will now see it.”

The safety and security of guests and crewmembers is MSC Cruises’ number one priority at all times, and the events that took place this week preclude the possibility of MSC Cruises calling in Tunisia for the foreseeable future.

MSC Cruises remains in continuous contact with relevant government ministries and international bodies, and does not consider additional itinerary changes to be necessary at this time.

Mr Vago added: “Tunis is a key destination for MSC Cruises, and we hope to be able to restore it to itineraries in due course. But until we receive the necessary reassurances that the security situation has returned to normal, we have to take our guests to alternative Mediterranean destinations.”

He concluded: “I want to personally thank the Tunisian authorities for the way they have addressed this exceptionally challenging situation, and for enabling us to implement our own response plan effectively.”

http://www.msccruises.co.za/za_en/About-MSC-Cruises/News/Official-Statement-Tunis.aspx

It sucks that it is so easy for the terrorists to win. Their sole purpose of these targeted attacks was to disrupt tourism to Tunisia, and since cruises are being canceled, they have succeeded. I wish it could be handled differently instead of handing them exactly what they want, but I can't think of how.

My condolences to all affected by this act of terror.

I was JUST saying this EXACT same thing to my husband this morning! They absolutely won and accomplished their goal. It has really got me angry (and of course saddened) at the same time. It's been on my mind all day.

I think you have to keep in mind that this couple were hiding from men with guns dressed in military garb. For all they knew, the building was now crawling with gunmen going from room to room killing everyone. If Tunisian police or military personnel entered the room where they were hiding, how would they know these were "good guys"? I would have been terrified and continued hiding.

Exactly this, plus not likely speaking the same language. Maybe the cruise line reps coming into the building spoke in a language they recognized, and it made them feel safe enough to come out.

Regardless, it was still not a good job by security forces sweeping the building for people. If an average, untrained couple could elude them, so could co-conspirators. It sure doesn't instill confidence in their security.

When terrorist groups start to put their time, money and energy into finding a cure for a deadly disease, when they start to be innovative with ideas and products that benefit other's lives other than their own, when they build universities and support education, when they protect the antiquities of their region, and celebrate life instead of death, then they will win.

So well said.

I don't really get why that Spanish couple had to be found by MSC employees instead of some kind of authority from Tunisia :confused: Anyway, they are safe and that's what it counts. Unfortunately another elderly Spanish couple died :( They attacked an Spanish speaking group it seems.

On the other hand the Costa ship is now crossing the Mediterranean sea and will reach Mallorca by tomorrow. I guess press will be waiting to interview passengers.

Maybe they needed to be told everything was OK in Spanish - if they didnt know what was being said by anyone else they would have stayed in hiding.

When terrorist groups start to put their time, money and energy into finding a cure for a deadly disease, when they start to be innovative with ideas and products that benefit other's lives other than their own, when they build universities and support education, when they protect the antiquities of their region, and celebrate life instead of death, then they will win.
I absolutely agree. Although you quoted a single line of my message, I think it's apparent to everyone who read what I wrote that I was referring to this specific incident and not terrorism in general. I hope you didn't infer anything else, since I implied nothing else.

What I stated was that on this day, they set out to disrupt tourism, and they succeeded. Cruises have been canceled. Their actions had the exact effect they desired. To me, that's a big deal.

It's ridiculous that the authorities didn't think to thoroughly check the museum, especially when it was known that there were missing tourists! It shouldn't have taken MSC employees to find them really!
According to El País, they were hiding in a dark storage closet and they could hear shots, explosions, and people walking around talking in Arabic. And they were found by the police, not by cruise line representatives.

Miller 3000 - Prayers going up for you and your parents. My theory on this stuff is that the 'bad guys' want all of us to stay home. I refuse to live my life in fear of what could happen. So, we will be going on the Mediterranean cruise in Aug. 15'. And yes, it can happen anywhere. But, you can choose to live in fear or live your life! I'm also very impressed with how responsive the cruise line has been via their web page and twitter account. The cruise industry has a lot to lose and I'm sure that they are doing all that they can to keep everyone safe. Hug your parents for all of us!

I'm going on the MSC Splendida in 2 weeks time, my travel agent has confirmed Malta instead of Tunisia.

Valletta, Malta is one of my favorite cruise ports.

Tunis, Tunisia was the only cruise port that we left the ship to go into town but decided to turn around at the customs and immigration building. I just had some bad "vibes" about going into town.

Valletta, Malta is one of my favorite cruise ports.

Mine too. Tunis was interesting because it was the "exotic" stop on another continent during a Med Cruise. Apart from that, Malta is one of the most beautiful ports in the Med. When you arrive in Malta you feel like you travel through the set of a movie. But it's real. Just awesome.

BTW: The Splendida arrived in Barcelona 1 hour earlier as scheduled, although they started 14 hours later in Tunis. Heared nothing new from my parents. I hope everyone on the ships tries to go on.

Edited by Miller3000

I just logged into my booking and noticed I now have Palma de Mallorca instead of Tunis.

I still see Tunis on my itinerary as of last night on MSC site. I don't know what they define as "summer season" as we sail 9/26 on Divina and I didn't even notice Tunis on many other Divina sailings like ours that indicated Corfu, Greece like they said?

I still see Tunis on my itinerary as of last night on MSC site. I don't know what they define as "summer season" as we sail 9/26 on Divina and I didn't even notice Tunis on many other Divina sailings like ours that indicated Corfu, Greece like they said?

From the MSC Facebook page....

In the interest of guest and crew member safety, MSC Cruises has decided to suspend all remaining Tunisian calls in the 2015 summer programme.

Itineraries affected by the change will impact four of MSC Cruises’ 12 ships as follows:

• MSC Divina will call at Valletta a day earlier and head directly to Corfu, Greece

September is still the summer season so you don't need to worry.

From the MSC Facebook page....

In the interest of guest and crew member safety, MSC Cruises has decided to suspend all remaining Tunisian calls in the 2015 summer programme.

September is still the summer season so you don't need to worry.

I was able to verify Divina will be stopping in Corfú on 3 October (Saturday) from 12pm-6pm. I'm sad I won't be able to visit Tunisia but I understand safety is extremely important.

Here in Colombia we are really sad because of the 2 colombians that lost their lives in this incident. They were a mother and his 29 years old son, celebrating his master degree. May they rest in peace, all my prayers are with all those families.

Australia is sad also, as the son was an Australian resident, living and working in Sydney.

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously the person you spoke to didn't know what they were talking about. I know this was a while ago, but I was on the Splendida when the attacks occured. I was with my family in front of the Bardo Museum less than half an hour before gunmen opened fire. When our ship finally left port there were still 6 passengers missing or unaccounted for. This was announced at 10:15 am by the captain 4 hours after we were finally able to leave. Now all 6 have been accounted for. three were dead, and not yet identified, 2 were found hiding in the museum and one was injured.