Tunisia aftermath

babs135

I suppose the perceived risk also depends where you are. To us Europeans (esp Brits) Tunisia doesn't seem all that exotic or mysteriously dangerous compared to other parts of the world viewing it...even with the recent events there has been little news of 'Do not go to Tunisia' or even Morocco.

Until the 2011 fallout it was pretty much in the top cheap places to go for UK families and since most of us travel to the coastal towns and resorts instead of cities there are many that have not cancelled their holiday. Some might even say it is safer that before because of heightened security.

Tunisia is stunning. However people should do what they feel comfortable with on holiday.

Good perspective and you're right your proximity vs across the pond probably makes a big difference. We are so comfortable with the Caribbean while that is a bit less familiar to many Europeans.

I do understand that.

I was only trying to suggest that people should understand the difference between actual risk and perceived risk. (And not pass off the second one as a fact.)

I am a traveler by nature (in a family of travelers) and my philosophy is that there are far worse ways to go than while doing something I love. :) Anyone who knows me knows that is more than just bravado.

This really is a great thread. You see, I'm in your camp and my husband is in the other. I have to respect his trepidation as he was the one working at Ground Zero on 9-11 and the days after.

As previously mentioned, we lost 3 friends in the tower that day. I watched on TV while he was forced to be near the site where our friends perished. We both went to the wakes and funerals but for my husband, it was even more traumatic.

IF something happened to me while traveling, I would hope that people would remember that I went out having fun, not cowering in a corner.

To all those booked to the Med, have a wonderful time! I hope I'll be back soon.

First I would like to offer my condolences to any relatives & friends of the victims who are reading this board.

After this tragedy I wanted to read and see if the cruise lines should have even stopped there. A few days later my opinion was that with all the money the cruise lines make they should already be researching for any terrorist and dangerous activity in countries that they stop at. If they have been they are not doing enough. I am Canadian and our travel advisory for Tunisia says "travel with a high level of extreme caution (regional areas)". However I don't know if it said that before the killings.

Anyway some things that should have raised concern and red flags are: 1) Norwegian Cruise Lines stopped going to Tunisia I believe a year ago. 2) I found an article giving the number of citizens of Tunisia that had left to train for fighting in Syria...they have the highest number. If I found this stat why couldn't the cruise lines? 3) In 2011 there was a revolution. Someone important was just killed in the ladt month and now they think this attack was revenge.

The real important info can be found by following @CruiseLaw on Twitter. Jim Walker is his name. He wrote an article recently where he stated that he thought it was just a matter of when a terrorist attack would happen in Tunisia, Egypt. His article is on yahoo.com.

So unfortunately I now will not go on any Mediterrerian cruises for awhile. Even though I feel fairly safe by going to ports in Europe or UK, I am now realizing or believe that the cruise lines are not doing enough to monitor dangerous countries and they are practically doing nothing on security.

I used to think the theory of "if it's your time, etc" but after reading some of these articles I feel not enough is being done. I will still fly because I believe the airlines, TSA are trying to keep up.

I have a friend that travels a lot and she always says that us North Americans are fed a lot of fear-monging compared to people in the UK or Europe. I ask her a lot if Turkey is safe. She says the Brits and Europeans think so.

I am glad we have this board to get ideas and opinions!

I do understand that.

I was only trying to suggest that people should understand the difference between actual risk and perceived risk. (And not pass off the second one as a fact.)

I am a traveler by nature (in a family of travelers) and my philosophy is that there are far worse ways to go than while doing something I love. :) Anyone who knows me knows that is more than just bravado.

I am a traveler too from a long line of travelers. I understand the difference between perceived risk and actual risk.

Can you help other cruisers with the actual risk factor for traveling to certain areas, in terms of the sleeper cells (waiting to be activated) and radicals leaving their home countries to join the ranks of jihadists. All of the information needed to make an estimate of risk factors seems to be in flux.

Since you seem to have a method for estimating true risk factors. can you share it?

Thanks.

Kate

First I would like to offer my condolences to any relatives & friends of the victims who are reading this board.

After this tragedy I wanted to read and see if the cruise lines should have even stopped there. A few days later my opinion was that with all the money the cruise lines make they should already be researching for any terrorist and dangerous activity in countries that they stop at. If they have been they are not doing enough. I am Canadian and our travel advisory for Tunisia says "travel with a high level of extreme caution (regional areas)". However I don't know if it said that before the killings.

Anyway some things that should have raised concern and red flags are: 1) Norwegian Cruise Lines stopped going to Tunisia I believe a year ago. 2) I found an article giving the number of citizens of Tunisia that had left to train for fighting in Syria...they have the highest number. If I found this stat why couldn't the cruise lines? 3) In 2011 there was a revolution. Someone important was just killed in the ladt month and now they think this attack was revenge.

The real important info can be found by following @CruiseLaw on Twitter. Jim Walker is his name. He wrote an article recently where he stated that he thought it was just a matter of when a terrorist attack would happen in Tunisia, Egypt. His article is on yahoo.com.

So unfortunately I now will not go on any Mediterrerian cruises for awhile. Even though I feel fairly safe by going to ports in Europe or UK, I am now realizing or believe that the cruise lines are not doing enough to monitor dangerous countries and they are practically doing nothing on security.

I used to think the theory of "if it's your time, etc" but after reading some of these articles I feel not enough is being done. I will still fly because I believe the airlines, TSA are trying to keep up.

I have a friend that travels a lot and she always says that us North Americans are fed a lot of fear-monging compared to people in the UK or Europe. I ask her a lot if Turkey is safe. She says the Brits and Europeans think so.

I am glad we have this board to get ideas and opinions!

Should the cruise lines not sail into NYC? Think 9-11

Should they not send shore excursion buses from Honfleur to Paris? Think Jewish Deli and the newspapers attacks.

Should they not sail into and out of Boston, MA? Think Marathon Bombing.........

You get the point.

Edited by sail7seas

I am a traveler too from a long line of travelers. I understand the difference between perceived risk and actual risk.

Can you help other cruisers with the actual risk factor for traveling to certain areas, in terms of the sleeper cells (waiting to be activated) and radicals leaving their home countries to join the ranks of jihadists. All of the information needed to make an estimate of risk factors seems to be in flux.

Since you seem to have a method for estimating true risk factors. can you share it?

Thanks.

Kate

Sorry, I can't claim to have any algorithm; if such a thing is even possible, it would be way beyond me. There's a difference between understanding a concept and being expert enough to create such a framework.

The newspaper was attacked because they wanted to kill those wom "mocked" the prophet. The kosher market because the wanted to kill Jews. The museum was attacked because they wanted to kill western tourists.

Tourists in Tunisia are targets. Bringing more there is like bringing bait. I don't think that is the situation in Paris, or anywhere else in the EU.

I ask her a lot if Turkey is safe. She says the Brits and Europeans think so.

Well if you read on Cruiselawnewsdotcom and believe everything that´s on that page you can´t go anywhere in the caribbean since Jim finds risks in everything.. Jim seem to have a thorn in the side to the cruise industry. :rolleyes:

I have been in Turkey twice and both times I said "I won´t go back here!", but not because I felt unsafe. The reason is that the Turks are very pushy and annoying and tries to sell their crap to the tourists..

I just can´t stand pushy people.

I have been to Alanya and Marmaris, both are big tourist destinations. Istanbul might be different.

Edited by Extra Kim

The newspaper was attacked because they wanted to kill those wom "mocked" the prophet. The kosher market because the wanted to kill Jews. The museum was attacked because they wanted to kill western tourists.

Tourists in Tunisia are targets. Bringing more there is like bringing bait. I don't think that is the situation in Paris, or anywhere else in the EU.

Who (how many 'who') do they want to kill next?

Is there anyone specifically not on their kill list but for they themselves?

Edited by sail7seas

Everyone has to make their own choices.

A few months ago, one of my co-workers who knows that I'm doing a Med cruise later this year asked me if I was going to go through with it, considering all of the things going on in Europe and the Middle East. I told her, of course I'm going, there are risks everywhere.

Here in Toronto two men were just convicted of trying to bomb a Via train running between Canada and the US, it isn't the first such case. Terrorism can happen anywhere there is a person who thinks that harming other people can improve their otherwise pointless life. Doing something positive is too hard, so they resort to violence and blame it on a religion. All we can do is go about our lives and keep an eye out to try and avoid trouble.

Who (how many 'who') do they want to kill next?

Is there anyone specifically not on their kill list but for they themselves?

If that's what you really are worried about, the is no where you can go.

I think cruise lines are prudent to avoid certain ports.

About time.

Princess Cruises cancels Tunisia call in wake of attack

CRUISE LOG

Gene Sloan, USA TODAY 6:12 a.m. EDT March 24, 2015

Princess Cruises is joining the list of cruise lines canceling calls in Tunisia in the wake of Wednesday's terrorist attack.

The California-based company tells USA TODAY that a June 1 visit to the Tunisian capital of Tunis scheduled for the 3,080-passenger Emerald Princess will be replaced by a stop in Naples, Italy.

Half a dozen other calls in Tunis scheduled for later in the year also "are being evaluated," Princess added in a statement sent to USA TODAY. "The safety and security of our guests and crew is our foremost priority."

Seventeen cruisers from Costa Cruises and MSC Cruises ships visiting Tunis for the day were killed in Wednesday's attack, which took place at the city's Bardo National Museum. More than 20 other cruisers were wounded.

Princess is joining six other lines -- Holland America, Costa, MSC, Star Clippers, Hapag-Lloyd Cruises and Aida Cruises -- in canceling upcoming calls in Tunisia. Some of the lines have canceled all future visits to the country while others only have dropped calls taking place in the next few months.

If that's what you really are worried about, the is no where you can go.

I think cruise lines are prudent to avoid certain ports.

Of course, they have to avoid certain ports. I don't think many disagree with that.

Does anyone believe there is a city on earth that is immune from terrorist attack? Doesn't mean people will not or should not travel but most of us are aware we are all targets. You could be in your own home and the attack could be next door, I get it. You could be half away around the world and learn the attack was in your home city. But none of us can truly feel 'attack proof' in today's world.

I'm not saying I won't travel and most certainly am not telling anyone else what to do. But I am a realist and make informed, educated choices.... as do most of us.

Go?

Don't Go?

This City?

That City?

Each of us makes that choice. None of us are wrong in our choice, IMO