Views while sailing Alaska

presjade

Wish I could convince my DH that dinner isn't important and just hang out to see everything, but he loves chit chatting with everyone in the MDR and won't miss the shows. :(

Wish I could convince my DH that dinner isn't important and just hang out to see everything, but he loves chit chatting with everyone in the MDR and won't miss the shows. :(

Then this is a choice of yours.

I do what I want on cruises, and have split up numerous times.

Especially in Alaska- the meals in the dining room, simply take up way more time then I want to invest. But most people won't consider otherwise. Your "wish" is disturbing to me, frankly. Why agree to do something you don't want to? How often are you going to get to Alaska?

This is solid nonstop scenic sailing through evening. So doesn't matter what time you choose.

Thanks. I was afraid of that. Maybe we will delay it until the last night. Thinking that may be the only evening where this isn't a lot to see while we go from Hubbard to Seward. I expect the route is a little farther from land. Am I wrong about that?

I am hoping to skip the dining room a few nights as well in order to watch the scenery but my family is big on the dining room. Maybe I can get a table lined up near the window. Too bad we have my time dining or I would send in a request for a specific table. Not sure i can do that with MTD.

Thanks. I was afraid of that. Maybe we will delay it until the last night. Thinking that may be the only evening where this isn't a lot to see while we go from Hubbard to Seward. I expect the route is a little farther from land. Am I wrong about that?

I am hoping to skip the dining room a few nights as well in order to watch the scenery but my family is big on the dining room. Maybe I can get a table lined up near the window. Too bad we have my time dining or I would send in a request for a specific table. Not sure i can do that with MTD.

You have have to agree to wait for any window seat with my time dining. But- if you think about it, everyone wants a window seat. :) I find, little time is spent looking out of windows during dining, so, alternatively- spending a lessor time in the dining room- rather than a wait for a specific table type would be an advantage.

The last sea day, does have starboard side scenery, depends on the ship cpt, how coastal they sail.

Then this is a choice of yours.

I do what I want on cruises, and have split up numerous times.

Especially in Alaska- the meals in the dining room, simply take up way more time then I want to invest. But most people won't consider otherwise. Your "wish" is disturbing to me, frankly. Why agree to do something you don't want to? How often are you going to get to Alaska?

LOL - this will be our 4th time to Alaska and we were just up there last Aug/Sept. Too many cruises to count, so I have no complaints. In a couple of years I'm going up by myself for the Iditarod - looking forward to that! I guess I should have said I wish dinner wasn't as important to him as it is. Dinner in the MDR lost it's attraction to me long ago - not just in Alaska.

I think that I could piece together from the other posts where to be at what times, but I just cannot chance it. You have been very gracious with your time BudgetQueen. So I hope that you will be able to address my specific itinerary. Who knows if i will ever make it back to Alaska? So, I have to make this one count. Below is my itinerary. I am hoping to print off your suggestions.

Day 1 Vancouver - Depart 4:30

Day 2 Cruising Inside Package

Day 3 Ketchikan 7-3

Day 4 Icy Strait Points 10-8

Day 5 Juneau 7-8:30

Day 6 Skagway 7-4

Day 7 Hubbard Glacier

Day 8 Seward

I think that I could piece together from the other posts where to be at what times, but I just cannot chance it. You have been very gracious with your time BudgetQueen. So I hope that you will be able to address my specific itinerary. Who knows if i will ever make it back to Alaska? So, I have to make this one count. Below is my itinerary. I am hoping to print off your suggestions.

Day 1 Vancouver - Depart 4:30

Day 2 Cruising Inside Package

Day 3 Ketchikan 7-3

Day 4 Icy Strait Points 10-8

Day 5 Juneau 7-8:30

Day 6 Skagway 7-4

Day 7 Hubbard Glacier

Day 8 Seward

Day 2- extremely early, same with Ketchikan, but more important- IF transiting Snow Pass- will be in the evening- sorry- you can NOT count on a time, it can be beneficial to be out an hour earlier anyway- if they happen to give a "time". Very early into Hoonah, possible wildlife, early and late in/out Juneau possible humpbacks, enjoy the scenery leaving Skagway- nonstop with humpbacks good chance.

Hubbard is forward viewing. There is a sea lion haul out on the starboard side, that may be referred to with the narrative.

For those cruising with Princess, there is/was a book by their long time naturalist Rachel Cartwright, The Alaska Cruise Companion, a naturalist's guide to the Inside Passage. It is published by Princess Cruises, available in the shop onboard. It has a large map. It ddvides the route into Waypoints, and tells you what to look for at each point. On our 2013 cruise the captain/naturalist would tell us what waypoint we were approaching. I don't think they correlate with mile posts.

http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-Companion-Naturalists-Alaskas/dp/1889467367/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433111063&sr=1-1&keywords=Rachel+Cartwright+++The+Alaska+Cruise+Companion

Reviewer on Amazon said it cost more on Amazon and was missing the map. I can't tell you what it cost onboard, as my sister purchased it. EM

Budget Queebpn, if you can answer one more request:

Sailing on the Legend, aft balcony, leaving June 9th

Tue Seattle, WA 4:00 PM

Wed Fun Day At Sea

Thu Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord (on the small excursion as well)

Fri Skagway, AK 7:00 AM 9:00 PM

Sat Juneau, AK 7:00 AM 3:00 PM

Sun Ketchikan, AK 7:00 AM 1:00 PM

Mon Victoria, Bc, Canada 7:30 PM 11:59 PM

Tue Seattle, WA 7:00 AM

Many thanks in advance

Budget Queebpn, if you can answer one more request:

Sailing on the Legend, aft balcony, leaving June 9th

Tue Seattle, WA 4:00 PM

Wed Fun Day At Sea

Thu Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord (on the small excursion as well)

Fri Skagway, AK 7:00 AM 9:00 PM

Sat Juneau, AK 7:00 AM 3:00 PM

Sun Ketchikan, AK 7:00 AM 1:00 PM

Mon Victoria, Bc, Canada 7:30 PM 11:59 PM

Tue Seattle, WA 7:00 AM

Many thanks in advance

Very early/late Tracy Arm, after Juneau- through dark, through dark from Skagway, hours after Ketchikan (until open ocean), several hours before Victoria

Hubbard Glacier viewing is forward. same as above with Glacier Bay, except, staying out after you leave Glacier Bay, until dusk, is all scenic sailing and also goes past Point Adolphus which is a humpback feeding area.

Same with Juneau. Since you may have a later Ketchikan port day? Being out from dawn, may give you a chance for Snow Pass. Ask the naturalist, or inquire at guest services to ask the bridge.

Last sailing day- keep an eye out for when you get to the Queen Charlottes. Seeing land, then stay out, rest of daylight. This is a jackpot for close up scenic viewing and good chance of orcas. And depending on the schedule, I have gone through the Seymour Narrows during daylight. A few trips, I could see Vancouver off in the distance.

Thanks for this info!

I'm delighted there is the interest for some, considering, taking advantage of sailing Alaska. :) I am always greatly rewarded, with this added bonus, that you can get sailing Alaska.

It should, now be very easy for anyone who may want some scenery and wildlife viewing, to now, know when they should be out looking. :) Just plug in the timeframes, and follow, the route for your sailing. With key being, where you are coming from and where you are going. Difference will be the round trip Seattle sailings with the humpback migration, only being in May.

Overall, few take full advantage. Knowing areas can greatly enhance a trip. So, bundle up, never be without your binoculars, and leave some of ship activities for your Caribbean trips. :)

Can i repeat what others have said. Your posts have been very helpful in palnning our cruise we are on the Hal noordam in June. Going from Vancouver to Tracey arm and Juneau. 1pm to 10 pm. Next day Skagway the following day cruise day then Ketchikan we have balcony VB on the 5th deck. Would love to hear some advice from you.

thanks

vin

check out the book I posted earlier. It's a Milepost guide for sights along the coast, from lighthouses to wildlife. You can get a used edition on amazon for $8

http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-Handbook-Mile---Mile/dp/0979491576/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1426896549&sr=1-1&keywords=upton%2C+alaska

Thanks so much mapleleaves. Just placed my order. Made sure I got one with the fold-out map!

Can i repeat what others have said. Your posts have been very helpful in palnning our cruise we are on the Hal noordam in June. Going from Vancouver to Tracey arm and Juneau. 1pm to 10 pm. Next day Skagway the following day cruise day then Ketchikan we have balcony VB on the 5th deck. Would love to hear some advice from you.

thanks

vin

The biggest issue with this itinerary, is the "necessity" to purchase the add on HAL tour for Tracy Arm. This is a significant element of scenery.

Glacier Bay- before dawn- your wildlife opportunity and scenery are superb.

First glacier viewing and commentary matches up with port side. it is of significant benefit to not just do your viewing from your balcony.

you will have a ship naturalist onboard to find out if Snow Pass is a scenic option for you.

Your last sailing day from afternoon, through dark with a good opportunity for orcas. (can't be insistent on giving your meals a priority)

On an itinerary out of Vancouver, other than your glacier day(s) and sailing by my home and have me wave to you.... the highlight is going thru Seymour Narrows on north Vancouver Island. I really don't feel it matters what side of the ship you are on, particularly on a 7 day return but it really is spectacular. While the time of going thru the narrows is dictated by the tidal currents sometimes you can hit it during the early evening northbound and in the late afternoon southbound....and if you are really lucky you get to see it both coming and going. A few years ago I got a pad of paper out and a tidal chart and calculated when peoples' ship would go thru the narrows but it took a fair amount of gray matter, I am a little out of practice and really don't want to start it again. However, there are places in the narrows where you feel like you can reach out and touch the high walls of the narrows. Here are a few links for you:

http://www.professionalmariner.com/December-January-2010/BC-pilot-boat-navigates-rocky-waters-and-narrow-passages-during-cruise-season/

BudgetQueen....would you mind giving me an idea of what I will be able to see?

Seattle, Washington----4:00 pm

Sun At Sea--------

Mon Ketchikan, Alaska7:00 am3:00 pm

Tue Juneau, Alaska/Cruise past Sawyer Glacier7:00 am1:30 pm

Tue Juneau, Alaska

Wed Skagway, Alaska7:00 am5:30 pm

Thu At Sea--------

Fri Victoria, British Columbia2:30 pm9:30 pm

Sat Seattle, Washington

Thanks so much for your time...much appreciated.

The biggest issue with this itinerary, is the "necessity" to purchase the add on HAL tour for Tracy Arm. This is a significant element of scenery.

Glacier Bay- before dawn- your wildlife opportunity and scenery are superb.

First glacier viewing and commentary matches up with port side. it is of significant benefit to not just do your viewing from your balcony.

you will have a ship naturalist onboard to find out if Snow Pass is a scenic option for you.

Your last sailing day from afternoon, through dark with a good opportunity for orcas. (can't be insistent on giving your meals a priority)

Thank you Budget Queen! really looking forward to it. :)

This book is frequently recommended. It points out sights and places of interest all along the cruise

http://www.alaskacruisehandbook.com/index.html

Thanks, I bought it used for a few dollars. The map is excellent and points out places along the cruise where you are likely to see humpback whales from the ship. It definitely has a different vibe than the typical tour book that lists ports and things to do.

BudgetQueen....would you mind giving me an idea of what I will be able to see?

Seattle, Washington----4:00 pm

Sun At Sea--------

Mon Ketchikan, Alaska7:00 am3:00 pm

Tue Juneau, Alaska/Cruise past Sawyer Glacier7:00 am1:30 pm

Tue Juneau, Alaska

Wed Skagway, Alaska7:00 am5:30 pm

Thu At Sea--------

Fri Victoria, British Columbia2:30 pm9:30 pm

Sat Seattle, Washington

Thanks so much for your time...much appreciated.

Late afternoon/Evening out of Ketchikan, (in the past NCL has transited Snow Pass) you may want to try asking at the purser's desk to contact the bridge, or listen to the noon report- which the cpt may or may not do. :) Check the ship map, GPS etc. When a "time is given", frankly you really need to add several hours on each side. It isn't Disneyland going through Small World. :) Scenery right from leaving Ketchikan- will go by the airport (interesting, as it's on an island that people have to take a ferry to), Totem Bight etc. scenery- through dark.

I will always, state- it's "necessary" to strongly consider the add on ship tour for Tracy Arm. it is grossly superior, and especially needed if you want the glacier viewing. Few cruiseships are successful at getting past Sawyer Island- giving only a distant fraction view.

Juneau scenery before and after- through dark.

Scenery through dark, leaving Skagway. I highly recommend seeing Steve Hites, who is a wonderful Alaska Folk singer, whom, in the past had a contract with NCL. This is near the end of the port day, really nice "Alaska" history program through song- if of interest.

I hope he is still doing this, but am surprised he didn't come on board my cruise last week.

If you are up, early, I mean prior to dawn, you have the possibility of a lot of scenery your first day, along with the possibility of orcas. Later it becomes open ocean. Early into Ketchikan, is scenic, departure, find out the timeframe for Snow Pass. This may involve skipping dinner, but is a wildlife jackpot with, in my case, always seeing humpbacks. Early into and out of Juneau, close up scenery, with more humpback possibilities.

Generally you are in Skagway, real early, but leaving is worthwhile down the Lynn Canal, and a look at Haines on the starboard side.

Glacier Bay, it is worthwhile for my wildlife priorities, to be up and out prior to dawn. The ship is stalled here early morning with good possibilities of seeing humpbacks and sea otters, along with sea birds. You can also catch the boarding from Bartlett Cove of the Rangers. From this point, it is about 3 hours to glacier viewing. You are on the wrong side, if you only want to stay in your cabin, with the commentary matching up what you are seeing, and the longer glacier views- usually. If open, this is the time to get out on deck.

It's then 3 hours back out, with wildlife, more plentiful the outer third, then the off loading of the rangers and more wildlife possibility through dusk.

Last sea day, has views on the starboard side. This varies, as I have sailed Princess where they were way off across the Gulf, last year on NCL, they were quite close.

Then your evening is scenery for several hours prior and after College Fjords.

I wanted to thank you again Budget Queen we returned last week from Alaska & we had an AMAZING vacation to say the least. I've taken warm weather cruises in the past but this is now our new favorite. We spotted whales, sea lions, eagles, sheep, dolphines etc my husband had permenant rings around his eyes from the binoculars. Even got to see a whale breech from our ship balcony. Between the ships naturalist Mark Harris & the wonderful info from you I printed & took with us I feel like we got to see so much of beautiful Alaska. We're already looking forward to going back..Thanks Again!!

Edited by presjade