Views while sailing Alaska

presjade

Sea days you are going through humpback migration routes. After Tracy Arm, stay out the entire time,until you get to Juneau- humpback feeding area, and close up scenery.

Be out leaving Skagway, Haines will be on your right, pretty much nonstop scenery, and humpbacks possible.

Thank you so much for the information. This, along with the book, is so very helpful.

I can't wait to see Alaska and am grateful for all the information found on these forums. :D

Let me first say that I have learned so much from your posts on Alaska. Im not sure how I would have planned this trip without your knowledge. So I cant thank you enough!

Would you please answer a few questions below since you were on the Sun last year plus good viewing times for my itinerary.

1. Where was your favorite spot on the SUN for viewing?

2. I know you said you skipped the shows, but do you remember if they had

1 or 2 shows nightly? Ive seen both.

3. I read where the Naturalist onboard was not so knowledgeable. Is there

any information that I should ask that may help me with my viewing

experience? ( Like times we enter Glacier and Hubbard Bays)

NCL Sun June 22 - June 29

1 VANCOUVER 4 PM /9:20 sunset

2 INSIDE PASS

3 KETCHIKAN (7 - 4) 4:04 / 9:32 sunrise/sunset

4 JUNEAU (10 - 8) 3:50 / 10:08

5 SKAGWAY (7 - 8) 3:44 / 10:24

6 GLACIER BAY 3:58 / 10:15

7 HUBBARD GLA ?

8 SEWARD 4:36 / 11:26

Again thank you so much for all the time and information you put into this board and for any information you can give me with the above.

Let me first say that I have learned so much from your posts on Alaska. Im not sure how I would have planned this trip without your knowledge. So I cant thank you enough!

Would you please answer a few questions below since you were on the Sun last year plus good viewing times for my itinerary.

1. Where was your favorite spot on the SUN for viewing?

2. I know you said you skipped the shows, but do you remember if they had

1 or 2 shows nightly? Ive seen both.

3. I read where the Naturalist onboard was not so knowledgeable. Is there

any information that I should ask that may help me with my viewing

experience? ( Like times we enter Glacier and Hubbard Bays)

NCL Sun June 22 - June 29

1 VANCOUVER 4 PM /9:20 sunset

2 INSIDE PASS

3 KETCHIKAN (7 - 4) 4:04 / 9:32 sunrise/sunset

4 JUNEAU (10 - 8) 3:50 / 10:08

5 SKAGWAY (7 - 8) 3:44 / 10:24

6 GLACIER BAY 3:58 / 10:15

7 HUBBARD GLA ?

8 SEWARD 4:36 / 11:26

Again thank you so much for all the time and information you put into this board and for any information you can give me with the above.

Wow, your kind words are overwhelming. :) My sincere thanks.

NCL does not have a ship naturalist on board. They may have a short term "lecturer" who, in my experience, have a book education background. They don't seen to have seasonal lecturer repeaters, and switch off. OK to sound way too smug, but I have to say, I've had more experience, in Alaska, than all of them. One last year, kept having to have to refer to his Fodor's Alaska book.

OK, so, my point is going to be, do your research in advance. Head to your library and take out Alaska travel books- yes, get Fodor's Alaska, which also has an Alaska Ports of Call book. :)

Glacier Bay, as I've already mentioned, will have about 4 people come on board. These people know Alaska and especially Glacier Bay would be considered experts.

On the Sun, there is nice forward viewing accessed through a forward lounge. This is a perfect place, if you have good weather and little wind.

Otherwise, I use the lower outer wrap around deck and go between the sides.

Hubbard glacier is forward viewing, with an afternoon arrival.

Another highlight I wish to mention is most ships do being Steve Hites on board in Skagway. He is a gifted Alaskan folk singer who does a great program on the history of Skagway. Usually scheduled for later in the day. Princess has brought on Libby Riddles in Juneau, in the past.

With your itinerary- the scenic areas -

up real early first sea day, a couple hours priority and maybe Snow Pass after. scenery through dark. From dawn- Juneau day, humpbacks possible. Scenery through dark after.

Skagway- Haines on right side within an hour of leaving. scenery through dark

Glacier Bay- I am up at least a 1/2 hour prior to dawn. Potential humpbacks on Icy Strait, ranger boarding around 6am, sea otter sightings and sea birds. About 3 hours before seeing Reid Glacier on port side. Scenery entire day.

I have learned a wealth of information from this thread. Thanks so much for posting all this valuable information.

We are looking at the following cruise July 4 - 11, 2015. Port side balcony.

Looking to see the most wildlife.

CRUISE ITINERARY:

Day 1: Vancouver

Day 2: Cruising Inside Passage

Day 3: Tracy Arm - Arrive: 10:00am & Depart: 10:30am

Day 3: Juneau - Arrive: 1:00pm & Depart: 10:00pm

Day 4: Skagway - Arrive: 7:00am & Depart: 9:00pm

Day 5: Glacier Bay - Arrive: 7:00am & Depart: 4:00pm

Day 6: Ketchikan - Arrive: 10:00am & Depart: 6:00pm

Day 7: Cruising Inside Passage

Day 8: Vancouver

I have learned a wealth of information from this thread. Thanks so much for posting all this valuable information.

We are looking at the following cruise July 4 - 11, 2015. Port side balcony.

Looking to see the most wildlife.

CRUISE ITINERARY:

Day 1: Vancouver

Day 2: Cruising Inside Passage

Day 3: Tracy Arm - Arrive: 10:00am & Depart: 10:30am

Day 3: Juneau - Arrive: 1:00pm & Depart: 10:00pm

Day 4: Skagway - Arrive: 7:00am & Depart: 9:00pm

Day 5: Glacier Bay - Arrive: 7:00am & Depart: 4:00pm

Day 6: Ketchikan - Arrive: 10:00am & Depart: 6:00pm

Day 7: Cruising Inside Passage

Day 8: Vancouver

It looks like your itinerary is one of the the "service stop" Tracy Arm. An add on ship tour is "necessary" in my opinion. You will not be seeing it with your cruise ship.

Same points as repeated above, wildlife is possible, VERY early your first sea day, all morning day 3, Day 5 you will be stalled out in Icy Strait for hours prior to Glacier bay entry. Wildlife potential, Rangers usually board around 6am. Sea otters and sea birds a given, sometimes humpbacks. Sea lions are frequently missed, but for those with an observant eye, can see them. Wide angle Binoculars are necessary for priority wildlife viewing.

Depending on the route, Snow Pass, which I've already mentioned frequently, is a possibility VERY early morning. Dependent on your cruise date.

Last sailing day, as soon as you see land, stay out, good chance of orca sightings.

BudgetQueen... I am wondering why we are not all placing an order for a book you have written?? You are so kind to take the time to share your knowledge. Thank you so very much!!

You're very welcome. :)

Sea days you are going through humpback migration routes. After Tracy Arm, stay out the entire time,until you get to Juneau- humpback feeding area, and close up scenery.

Be out leaving Skagway, Haines will be on your right, pretty much nonstop scenery, and humpbacks possible.

Thanks Budget Queen! This is also my itinerary .

I'm delighted there is the interest for some, considering, taking advantage of sailing Alaska. :) I am always greatly rewarded, with this added bonus, that you can get sailing Alaska.

It should, now be very easy for anyone who may want some scenery and wildlife viewing, to now, know when they should be out looking. :) Just plug in the timeframes, and follow, the route for your sailing. With key being, where you are coming from and where you are going. Difference will be the round trip Seattle sailings with the humpback migration, only being in May.

Overall, few take full advantage. Knowing areas can greatly enhance a trip. So, bundle up, never be without your binoculars, and leave some of ship activities for your Caribbean trips. :)

Budget Queen,

Thanks for so generously sharing your knowledge. Your response to LittleBug told me what I needed to know as well.

My Mom and I are hampered by backs, hips, and knees that won't let us stand at the ship's rail for hours. But I am going to figure out the best adaptive equipment and try to make it a trip you'd be proud of. I've learned so much from you on these boards. Thanks.

Vicki

One thing to keep in mind on the Coral Princess, there are some decks for viewing that span the width of the ship both fore and aft. Two years ago we had a balcony adjascent to an aft deck. We had extremely wide views from our balcony and even more from the rear deck that was two steps away. A few seconds from viewing the other side. If it is possible to relocate nearer to one of these decks it will pay big dividends for viewing access, and there were seldom people out there.

Budget Queen,

Thanks for so generously sharing your knowledge. Your response to LittleBug told me what I needed to know as well.

My Mom and I are hampered by backs, hips, and knees that won't let us stand at the ship's rail for hours. But I am going to figure out the best adaptive equipment and try to make it a trip you'd be proud of. I've learned so much from you on these boards. Thanks.

Vicki

Enjoy your trip- Alaska is paradise for me. :)

Take your views where and when you can. If you can spend a few minutes outside, consider doing so perhaps, when you feel up to it? Proper attire can make a big difference too, so, if an option for some outside viewing from the cruise ship- bundle up with layers and pack the hat and gloves. :)

A huge thanks to all that have posted on this thread! What a great resource to help plan a cruise to Alaska. With that being said and all I've learned about wildlife viewing en-route I guess I shouldn't have booked a quilting cruise.

We leave Seattle 6/27/15 and all our at sea days will be in quilting classes. It sounds like I need to book another cruise to Alaska in order to see all of the beautiful scenery and wildlife (or I could skip classes ).

Thanks to everyone for all the great info and time spent sharing your knowledge with the "newbie Alaska cruisers"!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Found this thread very useful. I can't find where my itinerary has been represented so any tips on wildlife viewing would be much appreciated. Also, approx what time would we go through Snow Pass?

Star Princess southbound July 4

July 4 depart Whittier 8.30pm

July 5 Hubbard Glacier 3pm - 8pm

July 6 Glacier Bay 9.15am - 7.30pm

July 7 Skagway 7am - 8.30pm

July 8 Juneau 6.30am - 4pm

July 9 Ketchikan 10am - 6pm

July 10 at sea

July 11 Vancouver arrive 7.30am

Hi all,

Found this thread very useful. I can't find where my itinerary has been represented so any tips on wildlife viewing would be much appreciated. Also, approx what time would we go through Snow Pass?

Star Princess southbound July 4

July 4 depart Whittier 8.30pm

July 5 Hubbard Glacier 3pm - 8pm

July 6 Glacier Bay 9.15am - 7.30pm

July 7 Skagway 7am - 8.30pm

July 8 Juneau 6.30am - 4pm

July 9 Ketchikan 10am - 6pm

July 10 at sea

July 11 Vancouver arrive 7.30am

Snow Pass- if going that route- would be very early before Ketchikan.

The basics - several hours before and after Glacier Bay, with wildlife frequently seen in the outer third (approx 1 hour) of the bay. Scenic sailing of the Lynn Canal after leaving Skagway. July 10 as soon as you get to the Queen Charlottes, (land) staying out through dark, has good chances of seeing orcas, nonstop scenery. (VERY few take advantage, since it "cuts" into dinner. :)

• 1 month later...

Trying to plan an anniversary dinner in a specialty restaurant the evening we are leaving Skagway. Help would be appreciated.

Depart Skagway at 4:30pm

Next day is cruising Hubbard glacier 7am-11am

In order to not miss anything of interest leaving Skagway and figuring we will need maybe 30 minutes to get ready for dinner, need a suggested dining reservation time.

Thanks!!!

I'm delighted there is the interest for some, considering, taking advantage of sailing Alaska. :) I am always greatly rewarded, with this added bonus, that you can get sailing Alaska.

It should, now be very easy for anyone who may want some scenery and wildlife viewing, to now, know when they should be out looking. :) Just plug in the timeframes, and follow, the route for your sailing. With key being, where you are coming from and where you are going. Difference will be the round trip Seattle sailings with the humpback migration, only being in May.

Overall, few take full advantage. Knowing areas can greatly enhance a trip. So, bundle up, never be without your binoculars, and leave some of ship activities for your Caribbean trips. :)

I've been enjoying reading all your posts Budget Queen. We are leaving this Friday, June 5 for a r/t out of Seattle. Does the migration of the humpbacks spill over into early June at all? Hoping to see some from our balcony.

I've been enjoying reading all your posts Budget Queen. We are leaving this Friday, June 5 for a r/t out of Seattle. Does the migration of the humpbacks spill over into early June at all? Hoping to see some from our balcony.

Humpbacks are pretty much migrated already.

Trying to plan an anniversary dinner in a specialty restaurant the evening we are leaving Skagway. Help would be appreciated.

Depart Skagway at 4:30pm

Next day is cruising Hubbard glacier 7am-11am

In order to not miss anything of interest leaving Skagway and figuring we will need maybe 30 minutes to get ready for dinner, need a suggested dining reservation time.

Thanks!!!

This is solid nonstop scenic sailing through evening. So doesn't matter what time you choose.