Views while sailing Alaska

presjade

Okay, here's my wonky itinerary. I bought the books, have the maps - but nothing matches experience in terms of knowing what to watch out for.

Here's my itinerary. I am in a port side midship balcony. I know I won't have the daylight advantage of others, but I'm not opposed to early rising / late nights, being out on a deck, etc. I don't need to see absolutely everything, but pretty close ;)

May 7 - 17

Thu Vancouver, British Columbia ---- 4:00 pm

Fri At Sea

Sat Juneau, Alaska (1P - 10P)

Sun Skagway, Alaska (7A - 8:15P)

Mon Sitka, Alaska (10A - 7P)

Tue Icy Strait Point, Alaska (7A - 6P)

Wed Cruise Glacier Bay (2 ships scheduled, I think)

Thu Ketchikan, Alaska (9A - 6P)

Fri At Sea

Sat Victoria, British Columbia (10A - 12A)

Sun Seattle, Washington

Okay, here's my wonky itinerary. I bought the books, have the maps - but nothing matches experience in terms of knowing what to watch out for.

Here's my itinerary. I am in a port side midship balcony. I know I won't have the daylight advantage of others, but I'm not opposed to early rising / late nights, being out on a deck, etc. I don't need to see absolutely everything, but pretty close ;)

May 7 - 17

Thu Vancouver, British Columbia ---- 4:00 pm

Fri At Sea

Sat Juneau, Alaska (1P - 10P)

Sun Skagway, Alaska (7A - 8:15P)

Mon Sitka, Alaska (10A - 7P)

Tue Icy Strait Point, Alaska (7A - 6P)

Wed Cruise Glacier Bay (2 ships scheduled, I think)

Thu Ketchikan, Alaska (9A - 6P)

Fri At Sea

Sat Victoria, British Columbia (10A - 12A)

Sun Seattle, Washington

You have plenty of daylight. :) Early predawn inside Vancouver Island. Several hours prior to Juneau, Several hour prior and after Sitka, pre Hoonah, several hour post. Very early Glacier Bay, with hours post. (I have no idea, why you aren't leaving late from Hoonah- as Hoonah is only an hour from Glacier Bay- you probably will be stalled, which gives you great opportunity for wildlife)

Again hours before and after Ketchikan. Last sea day- you will be going through the humpback migration route.

I'm talking about perhaps 30 minutes prior and post. There is viewing for me. This is especially crucial for me, when I'm there in Sept, as I HATE missing out. :)

I'm also on the lowest open deck, sometimes, I will concentrate on the back more, during those darker times, since that area is usually "ship" darker and less interference from bright lights from the ship. I guess, I have good night vision. Of course, the moon can be significant as well, as I've had good light with a full moon.

It really pays to know your areas, which I have tried to post above. But, for the die hards like us, it does involve a great deal of time invested. Many people aren't willing to do so. I always get,- every sailing, people coming up to me, asking me "what time" and "what side" for wildlife. :) I do usually get a little group that sticks together for the likely areas that I know about. I always yell out when I spot wildlife, and there always is someone who is interested in seeing it, but there also are people who don't care as well. You can see more with more eyes looking, so, I always will always ask if someone has seen something. :)

Good luck and may you be greatly rewarded. :)

Thanks BQ. Perhaps I was a tad early that day (consider that an understatement) :D and my night vision is not great, nor was there much moonlight.

Our trip last year had tons of new-to-Alaska cruisers, and we had a fabulous group of "eyes". I think it was my best cruise ever, in many ways. Particularly having all those kindred spirits watching for wildlife and cheering one another on.

Edited by CowPrincess

What a great thread!

We are sailing June 2016 on the Coral - first Alaska cruise.

May 28 Vancouver 4:30PM

May 29 At Sea

May 30 Ketchikan 6:30AM - 2:00PM

May 31 Juneau 8:00AM - 9:00PM

Jun 01 Skagway 7:00AM - 8:30PM

Jun 02 Glacier Bay 6:00AM - 3:00PM

Jun 03 College Fjord 6:00PM - 8:30PM

Jun 04 Whittier 12:30AM

Budget Queen,

We have basically the same itinerary as OP. Thanks for all your information. I want to be out seeing as much wildlife and scenery as possible. I will probably spend the next year researching everything. Your information is great! I like the idea of the lower deck. We have a balcony on the emerald deck and plan to use the aft and promenade deck a lot.

I have no problem being up early. I'm an early riser. My concern is the late evenings. When do you sleep? With so much daylight, is there any down time?

I just looked you up, you are sailing in June?? Jackpot viewing opportunities. With my Ketchikan comment above, if of interest, find out if you go through Snow Pass. You may have Brent Nixon on board as a naturalist, which is another jackpot if you do, but ask who is with you. You can also try and verify the time with the bridge. I would be out about 3a myself. I always see humpbacks there.

Yes June 12 to 19

Hubbard is forward viewing, until the ship starts turning. Be out, several hours prior to Juneau, and after through dusk. Stay out through dusk, after Skagway. Early prior to Hoonah, stay out after leaving.

You "may" go though Snow Pass which would be several hours prior to Ketchikan, but you already have an early port arrival, so probably not.

Late afternoon, last sea day, when you start seeing closer land, stay out through dusk.

Will see anything from my balcony deck 7 port side

Will see anything from my balcony deck 7 port side

Hubbard? As I mention, all the way in, Hubbard is forward. There is a sea lion haul out on the right side, you will pass at unknown distances. But binoculars are always needed.

the ship, at it's turn around point will place each side for viewing.

If you stay in your balcony- only, you have less than half the viewing potential.

You have plenty of daylight. :) Early predawn inside Vancouver Island. Several hours prior to Juneau, Several hour prior and after Sitka, pre Hoonah, several hour post. Very early Glacier Bay, with hours post. (I have no idea, why you aren't leaving late from Hoonah- as Hoonah is only an hour from Glacier Bay- you probably will be stalled, which gives you great opportunity for wildlife)

Again hours before and after Ketchikan. Last sea day- you will be going through the humpback migration route.

Beauty. Thank you so much!

Hey, last port for me is Ketchikan. Arriving at 9 a.m, on Sept 9th, so would there be enough light out when going through Snow Pass. Also, would the purser's desk know if the naturalist is on board, and where would one find that person, and does the naturalist have an office? Sorry to be askin such questions, but on the several last cruises I've been on to Alaska, didn't know they had naturalists on board. This time I'm goin with my eyes open!!!:rolleyes:

Hey, last port for me is Ketchikan. Arriving at 9 a.m, on Sept 9th, so would there be enough light out when going through Snow Pass. Also, would the purser's desk know if the naturalist is on board, and where would one find that person, and does the naturalist have an office? Sorry to be askin such questions, but on the several last cruises I've been on to Alaska, didn't know they had naturalists on board. This time I'm goin with my eyes open!!!:rolleyes:

Sorry, no chance for Snow Pass in daylight. You are on the Radiance? They usually do not have ship naturalists. Sometimes they do have "lecturer's" who are not usually on board the entire season, so, in my experience, don't have as much insight as the ship naturalists. Several times, they have been teachers, who didn't have a lot of first hand experience in Alaska. If a naturalist is on board it will be there the entire week. And certainly the purser's desk should know. There also would be programs presented duing the week, listed in program flyer.

HAL, has, ship naturalist, Lance who does have "hours" where he has a table and he meets with passengers. But most ship naturalists, you have to grab after a presentation, with a brief question. Some will wander around the ships, but, I have seen most of them, less, than several years ago.

Hubbard? As I mention, all the way in, Hubbard is forward. There is a sea lion haul out on the right side, you will pass at unknown distances. But binoculars are always needed.

the ship, at it's turn around point will place each side for viewing.

If you stay in your balcony- only, you have less than half the viewing potential.

We'll go out and about forward I meant during the course of the cruise will I see anything on my balcony?

Thank you

We will be on the Ruby as well May 17-24th.

Seattle

Sea Day

Ketchikan 6:30am-3pm

Tracy Arm 5am-9am

Juneau 12:30pm-10p,

Skagway 7am-5pm

sea

Victoria 7pm-12pm

Budget Queen, your information is so helpful. Any sighting information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for all or your posts. Not just on this topic but on so many others as well.

BudgetQueen, here is my itinerary. Can you suggest good wildlife viewing opportunities please ?

Mon July 13th Seward Depart 9:00 pm

Tue July 14th Hubbard Glacier

Wed July 15th Icy Strait Arrive 9:00 am Depart 5:00 pm

Thu July 16th Juneau Arrive 7:00 am Depart 1:15 pm

Fri July 17th Skagway Arrive 7:00 am Depart 5:00 pm

Sat July 18th Ketchikan Arrive 1:00 pm Depart 8:00 pm

Sun July 19th Inside Cruise passage

Mon July 20th Vancouver Arrive 8:00 am

I have been trying to see where snow pass is. doesnt all ships go in and out of ketchikan the same way. i am going on ruby princess in july an help would be nice

Snow Pass is a "dog leg" pass north of Ketchikan, it's at least 5 hours between the two. Ships also do NOT have to pass through here, it's one route of many.

We will be on the Ruby as well May 17-24th.

Seattle

Sea Day

Ketchikan 6:30am-3pm

Tracy Arm 5am-9am

Juneau 12:30pm-10p,

Skagway 7am-5pm

sea

Victoria 7pm-12pm

Budget Queen, your information is so helpful. Any sighting information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for all or your posts. Not just on this topic but on so many others as well.

Sea days you are going through humpback migration routes. After Tracy Arm, stay out the entire time,until you get to Juneau- humpback feeding area, and close up scenery.

Be out leaving Skagway, Haines will be on your right, pretty much nonstop scenery, and humpbacks possible.

BudgetQueen, here is my itinerary. Can you suggest good wildlife viewing opportunities please ?

Mon July 13th Seward Depart 9:00 pm

Tue July 14th Hubbard Glacier

Wed July 15th Icy Strait Arrive 9:00 am Depart 5:00 pm

Thu July 16th Juneau Arrive 7:00 am Depart 1:15 pm

Fri July 17th Skagway Arrive 7:00 am Depart 5:00 pm

Sat July 18th Ketchikan Arrive 1:00 pm Depart 8:00 pm

Sun July 19th Inside Cruise passage

Mon July 20th Vancouver Arrive 8:00 am

Wildlife- hours before and after Hoonah, after Juneau- do you have Tracy Arm? Stay out entire time.

Ketchikan day, - For Snow Pass, verify the route of the ship, then be out at least an hour prior if given the time from the bridge. You are looking at by 7am

Last sailing day, be on the look out- when you start getting closer to land, can be later afternoon, going through the Queen Charlottes. Then stay out - this is an orca sighting area. move side to side for all possibilities.

Budget Queen: We are on the Star Princess, May 30th from Vancouver.

At Sea 5/31

6/1-Ketchikan 6:30am-2pm

6/2-Juneau 8am-9pm

6/3-Skagway 5:30am-8:30pm

6/4-Glacier Bay 6am-3pm

6/5-College Fjord 6pm-8:30pm

Followed by Connouissuer Land Tour for 6 nights: Talkeetna, Denali and Fairbanks.

We are D627 which I believe is Starboard.

Can you tell me anything about what will be great viewing for our cruise?

Wildlife- hours before and after Hoonah, after Juneau- do you have Tracy Arm? Stay out entire time.

Ketchikan day, - For Snow Pass, verify the route of the ship, then be out at least an hour prior if given the time from the bridge. You are looking at by 7am

Last sailing day, be on the look out- when you start getting closer to land, can be later afternoon, going through the Queen Charlottes. Then stay out - this is an orca sighting area. move side to side for all possibilities.

Thank you BudgetQueen. My itinerary doesn't say Tracy Arm so I don't think we will get close to it. I'll look at the map closely to see if I can figure out what route it takes. I appreciate all the tips for wildlife viewing.

Thank you BudgetQueen. My itinerary doesn't say Tracy Arm so I don't think we will get close to it. I'll look at the map closely to see if I can figure out what route it takes. I appreciate all the tips for wildlife viewing.

Just looked at the map and looks like to get to Sawyer Glacier, you have to pass Tracy Arm. Correct me if I'm wrong but from Juneau to Sawyer Glacier the map shows Tracy Arm on the way. So it is possible that we will be sailing past Tracy Arm. Any chance of wildlife viewing there ?

Just looked at the map and looks like to get to Sawyer Glacier, you have to pass Tracy Arm. Correct me if I'm wrong but from Juneau to Sawyer Glacier the map shows Tracy Arm on the way. So it is possible that we will be sailing past Tracy Arm. Any chance of wildlife viewing there ?

Yes you are sailing Tracy Arm, just by what you wrote, you don't leave Juneau at half day with Skagway the next day, and not have somewhere in between to go. :) You can easily leave Juneau at 10p and get to Skagway early the next am.

The twin Sawyer glaciers are at the end of Tracy Arm, which is a 30 mile dead end. Endicott Arm is just south of Tracy Arm.

Yes, wildlife is possible, from the entire time between Juneau and Tracy Arm. Last year, they did not offer the add on tour. It is highly recommended if a wildlife priority, since you are going to miss a lot from a cruise ship.

Edited by Budget Queen