Norwegian Sun newbies -- what did you like about her? Any negatives?

treesah

First time on NCL. Have cruised on Princess, RCL, Holland America, Celebrity, Costa, MSC, Carnival. Booked the Sun from Seward to Vancouver early August.

Can you share your impressions as regarding accommodations, food, staff, facilities, common areas? Does the ship feel crowded? What kind of demographics? The reviews are not glowing but then again, it's all subjective.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Love, love, love the Sun. It's smaller so there will not seem as much action, but we never lacked for something to do. It has never felt crowded to us. The crew is great; really fun. It has the Great Outdoor (eating area outside aft) is a wonderful quiet place to eat (if it's warm enough) and also the observation deck forward which is especially nice for Alaska (inside paranoramic views). Types of people who cruise her vary by time of the year. Since you are sailing later in August there may not be as many children, which can be good. Not sure the kind of cabin you plan to get, but the some of the insides are just huge and the minisuites are the largest in the fleet. The showers are smaller than other ships we have been on, but certainly large enough to stay clean. We have liked the food, but then we are not that hard to please. The menus have changed since we sailed her last, however.

Honestly, it's our favorite ship.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by drvalo

I was on the Sun in September, the ship does not feel crowded in the least, it was however an older crowd not being summer vacation and all. Food, staff and ship overall were amazing, treated my family of 3 like gold for the week, enjoy "fogust" on the coast

*Living large one week at a time*

DW and I also did a southbound last year, July 27. The things we really liked about this cruise were the size and layout of the ship, the excellent service, and the overall upbeat attitude of the crew. The only negative was the constant battle with soot raining down on our 8th deck aft balcony, but the views were more than worth the fight.

We have done 3 cruises on the Sun in the past, and have one more booked for 2016. My favorite thing about the Norwegian Sun is the crew on board, they are in my opinion the best and most friendly in the NCL fleet.

The Italian restaurant (Il Adagio) is also one of my favorites on the Sun, because of its design. All tables have a sea view, either by the two-persons tables next to the windows, or by the elevated booths for 4 persons. That is the reason why on the Sun the VIP breakfasts and lunches (for people in suites) is served there and not in Cagney's.

sun_modal-ilAdagio.jpg

Edited by TrumpyNor

Thanks one and all for your prompt replies. Looking forward to our Alaska adventure on the Sun.

The Spinnaker at top bow not only has wonderful floor-to-ceiling windows for views but also has a small outside observation area.

Outside the aft buffet is The Great Outdoors, another good place for viewing, as is the promenade deck which goes all around the ship.

We have taken two LONG cruises on the Sun and loved every minute.

The Sun was DH's and my favorite ship. It has an intimate feel since it's mid-sized, and the crew are amazing. My favorite activity of all time happened there one night when they had a sing-along in the atrium. At the end, we were in the middle dancing and singing at the top of our lungs, and a bunch of balloon dropped on top of us. It was such a special memory with our fellow passengers and awesome crew. They really go out of their way to make it personal, and that's what makes the biggest difference. I would book her again in a heartbeat!

We were just on the Sun in February for the first time.

Came away loving the ship and crew.

We had the UDP with service in Cagney's not the best and even spoke to the Hotel Director. He came to our M&M and asked if we saw opportunities to improve, let him know.

The issue was the man "in charge" who never said hello to anyone; did basically nothing while the waiters were running around crazy. We twice sat next to a pile of ever increasing dirty dishes that should have been removed regularly.

Had no problem in any other specialty restaurants.

Other than that, loved the great outdoors, crew and service.

Officers are very visible which is not always the case.

Love the size of the Sun. Extremely friendly crew. The aft mini suites are WONDERFUL. Sauna and steam room free but no thermal spa, miss those heated tile loungers. Will be on the Sun for the third time in May for Northbound from Vancouver in one of the aft minis. Can hardly wait.

We love the Sun for all the reasons mentioned here. The Great Outdoors, the Spinnaker, the ambiance in the Italian restaurant, and her crew are highlights. We are looking forward to sailing her again Spring 2016 in South America. Yes, we miss the heated tile loungers, too, but the warmth and intimacy of the ship is unbeatable.

The Sun is my favorite ship ever! The crew Re unbelievable for service, warmth and fun. The ship is easy to navigate, the cabins are a good size, the beds so comfy and the food is good. Go to the great outdoors for meals, aft. Enjoy your cruise. The Sun won't dissappoint you.

Just got off the Sun a week ago yesterday going to the western Caribbean. Loved the ship-great size. We were in an inside on deck 8 (8111) right near the forward elevators-no issue with noise, and it was nice to be only a few decks up to the lido and a few decks down to the Stardust, etc. Cabin was good size for two people, although the showers are pretty darn small.

We went to two specialty restaurants-Teppanyaki and Moderno. Food and service were great in both, and the staff in Moderno were especially friendly. Main dining rooms were also very good and you could see officers and other bigwigs helping out consistently which was great.

We had an issue with our toilet on the last sea day with it not flushing and they were very efficient and helpful with fixing it quickly.

Great ship, great crew, great cruise!

The things that really stood out to me about the Sun:

1) How it never seemed crowded anywhere on the ship

2) How good the buffet desserts were (I ordinarily only eat dessert in the restaurant but the buffet had a lot of really good desserts)

3) How fun the white hot party was!

Just off the Sun on 3/15.

Smaller ship with lots of nooks and crannies to get away from the masses. There's a walkway out front on deck 12 that you can only get to through from the Observation Lounge bar. Great forward views from the lounge as well.

One of the best crews I've encountered - very friendly and attentive.

Daily poolside BBQs were excellent. Plenty of chairs and tables on the deck.

Loved the Great Outdoors. Drinks from the Sports Bar and the bar by the Great Outdoors were the best. (Find Dimitri the bartender and ask for "the Mary-Ellen drink" with Malibu, Chambord, Sierra Mist with a squeeze of lime. He also make THE best bloody mary's - called a "Garden Mary" if I recall correctly - and uses Patron in the margaritas instead of a lower-level brand.)

Lost my way many times on the ship - getting from mid-ship to La Cucina requires walking through the mid-ship MDR as a shortcut. Strange elevator layouts - mostly concentrated towards mid-ship forward - there's 6 within very close proximity.

The buffet layout still confuses me, but I didn't do the buffet except when looking for a snack. Had cold soups too - I remember the blueberry one.

I appreciated the fact that they posted menus for both MDR in one place in the main atrium.

Not quite sure what to make of Las Ramblas. Seems a waste of space, and the tapas were passable. Get the spinach pastry.

Loved the Le Bistro location and layout on this ship. La Cucina was also very nice.

I didn't do many shows, but do catch the Tim Kaminsky late-nite show one evening. Not as much "nickel-and-diming" as I've seen on other ships, which means that there wasn't anyone selling those pull-tab tickets before shows.

There was one day late in the afternoon when the crew officers, concierge, CD, etc. held a big rally in the main atrium - listed as "Sing-Along with the Norwegian Sun Family". Fun to hear them singing "Take Me Home, Country Roads", "Sweet Caroline" and other songs.

A real small ship feel. One of our better cruises.

For those of you just off her, are they using the new menus yet? <fingers crossed>

To the OP, haven't sailed as great a variety of lines as you, but I will say all the PPers have hit Sun's high points...and a couple of her low ones...but she remains DH and my favorite. So looking forward to boarding her on April 19th.

Reading this thread brings back good memories! We enjoyed a 10 day Southern Carribbean on the Sun and would love to sail her again. The crew was always happy, available to talk to you, very cohesive. Ronny Borg was the captain at the time, unsure who is there now. Our cruise was disembarking in Miami as hurricane Sandy started to track up the East Coast (came in right behind us). This crew liked to keep everyone busy and things upbeat. As said before, anytime the weather was good at all, the cooks were on the pool deck having a BBQ. Never was on a ship that held as many poolside BBQ's. The picture posted of Il Adagio on here brings back good memories of the lunches we ate there.

As others have said, the Great Outdoors and the Sports Bar stand out on this ship. I believe we watched a full length movie on a big screen in the Atrium. They held an informal question and answer forum one afternoon in the theater with the Captain, HD, and CD up front in the hot seats (only ship we've experienced that on).

In general, we were made to feel very at home. An Alaska cruise on her would be wonderful! Enjoy. You are going to love her.

For those of you just off her, are they using the new menus yet? <fingers crossed>

From what I saw of the MDR menus, and not having looked at the new menus, the impression I have is - no they aren't using the new ones. Unless the new ones contain most of what were on the old ones. First night had the roast strip beef loin and the key lime pie for dessert - like most of my other cruises. Later in the week I saw the prime rib the same night as the pot roast - normally I would have expected to see leg of lamb the same night as the pot roast but that was later in the week. Also I remember the night with turkey and gravy.

Not sure if this helps - didn't eat many nights in the MDR.

To the OP, haven't sailed as great a variety of lines as you, but I will say all the PPers have hit Sun's high points...and a couple of her low ones...but she remains DH and my favorite. So looking forward to boarding her on April 19th.

As of the February 7th sailing they were still using the old menus.

Harriet

Thanks rpb718!!

Will use your comments especially about the shows we leave next Sunday!! And will make GOOD FRIENDS with Dimitri!!!!

RedRover96

Write those drink names and DIMITRI down! Share that at our beaded meet up! ha ha:)