Liberty...searching now possible man overboard

waiting on 3 people to be accounted for

3:eek:

I am not an expert, but I am wondering if it would have been easier to have everyone go to muster stations and do a sweep of the ship, if they needed to do a roll call? Check cabins and public areas clear.

Like I say, in two sailings that involved MOB on neither did they do roll call, so this is new to me. But if most people are around the ship, the majority are likely to be around the muster station decks, in bars or entertainment venues. To me it makes sense that may be quicker identifying the missing person.

It sounds like they knew quite quickly someone went overboard, and they would have verified with the video cameras. At that point it is a question of who is missing. Once that is established it still seems strange to ask everyone else to stay in cabins.

That's very sad to hear. I am praying they find whoever it is. I think it's easier to have everyone in their cabins to get a head count and find who is missing. I feel terrible for the family that went to their cabin and that one person did not show up. Sends shivers down my spine.

Edited by goldgirl2

Capt updated that 5 vessels involved now and Liberty

is at exact GPS position. Nothing yet.

Capt released us from cabins, free to move

about, all venues to reopen.

But ship is not cruising yet, still at search

position.

He said he'll update us as needed....I am

planning for late arrival to PE.

You don't know who saw the person go overboard. If it is a 16 yr old, they could have been out with someone they met on the ship, not their family. The Captain wants to make sure he knows who is missing.

We can speculate all we want but the ship has a protocol that it is following.

Agree, just thought that if someone saw, at best they would at least know first name if friend hanging out with, at worst give a description. What I mean is if I saw a teen go overboard, there must be a way I could say to security, okay I saw teen rough age range and whether male or female. Surely the manifest could pull up all passengers that sex and age range and then look at pictures and identify? All pictures are in their system.

I agree each ship has protocol, and need to know who is missing. Just with video which I understand they have to have in case of mob, I would have thought that they have some sort of facial recognition on board, for security purposes.

Thank you to everyone who is posting updates. I think the Captain made the right decision by ordering all guests to cabins. Prayers to this guests family and that they find him/her. Does anyone know if this will affect her arrival in Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow morning?

Edited by cruiser fanatic

Capt updated that 5 vessels involved now and Liberty

is at exact GPS position. Nothing yet.

Capt released us from cabins, free to move

about, all venues to reopen.

But ship is not cruising yet, still at search

position.

He said he'll update us as needed....I am

planning for late arrival to PE.

Thanks for the info. I hope that they find the person.

3:eek: I am not an expert...

Your sig shows you have cruised enough - that's exactly where your comment should stop. Aircraft or ship - the Captain is THE Captain.

I'm an old aircraft pilot - as pilot in command my attitude was always "my ship my rules" because I have my reasons and don't always have time to explain.

Cabin returns for a nose count makes 100,000 + tons of sense.

Edited by Beachin2

That's very sad to hear. I am praying they find whoever it is. I think it's easier to have everyone in their cabins to get a head count and find who is missing. I feel terrible for the family that went to their cabin and that one person did not show up. Sends shivers down my spine.

Agree this is an awful situation, and I dread to think what the parents are currently feeling.

I only mentioned convening at muster station as technically that is the convening point for emergencies, and is specicifically set up to take roll in an organized and quick manner. I also appreciate that going to cabins is less stressful for passengers, I just felt that it may be more time consuming.

Whilst I am glad 2 of the 3 missing people have been accounted for, I still pray for the 16 year old.

Agree, just thought that if someone saw, at best they would at least know first name if friend hanging out with, at worst give a description. What I mean is if I saw a teen go overboard, there must be a way I could say to security, okay I saw teen rough age range and whether male or female. Surely the manifest could pull up all passengers that sex and age range and then look at pictures and identify? All pictures are in their system.

I agree each ship has protocol, and need to know who is missing. Just with video which I understand they have to have in case of mob, I would have thought that they have some sort of facial recognition on board, for security purposes.

The video for MOB is not attached to an alarm. no one knows how long it was that a person went overboard before it was discovered...then the video needs to be reviewed. Further more those cameras that site down the ship probably work off a heat signal/IR and would not have any facial recognition capacity at all.

Agree this is an awful situation, and I dread to think what the parents are currently feeling.

I only mentioned convening at muster station as technically that is the convening point for emergencies, and is specicifically set up to take roll in an organized and quick manner. I also appreciate that going to cabins is less stressful for passengers, I just felt that it may be more time consuming.

Whilst I am glad 2 of the 3 missing people have been accounted for, I still pray for the 16 year old.

While you are at your muster station, they are systematically checking staterooms.

I still pray for the 16 year old.

allegedly 16...still not confirmed yet.

I think going to the cabins is quicker..not everyone remembers where their muster is...unfortunately.

Your sig shows you have cruised enough - that's exactly where your comment should stop. Aircraft or ship - the Captain is THE Captain.

I'm an old aircraft pilot - as pilot in command my attitude was always "my ship my rules" because I have my reasons and don't always have time to explain.

Cabin returns for a nose count makes 100,000 + tons of sense.

Firstly, I wasn't out to offend anyone and I wasn't questioning the captain. I was making a statement and askng a question that if the majority of people, given the time of day, are probably likely to be near muster stations would it have been quicker to get to the muster stations. My other rational was the distance involved in some people getting back to their cabins especially if people are likely to get stuck getting out of dinner on stairs etc.

I wasn't out for an argument or to offend anyone. I was just trying to understand the reasoning behind cabins opposed to muster station as either way they still need to clear public areas and go door to door.

Firstly, I wasn't out to offend anyone and I wasn't questioning the captain. I was making a statement and askng a question that if the majority of people, given the time of day, are probably likely to be near muster stations would it have been quicker to get to the muster stations. My other rational was the distance involved in some people getting back to their cabins especially if people are likely to get stuck getting out of dinner on stairs etc.

I wasn't out for an argument or to offend anyone. I was just trying to understand the reasoning behind cabins opposed to muster station as either way they still need to clear public areas and go door to door.

I think cabins are faster and they are going to use manpower to check all cabins anyway. People, knowing the ship itself is in no imminent danger, would not go from bar to muster station but go back to their cabin and make sure they have whatever they need or want for comfort at muster stations delaying the process. In addition you have some people in cabins and / or already asleep. Closing venues and sending all to cabins, to me, sounds like most economical use of time and resources.

Edited by LMaxwell

The video for MOB is not attached to an alarm. no one knows how long it was that a person went overboard before it was discovered...then the video needs to be reviewed. Further more those cameras that site down the ship probably work off a heat signal/IR and would not have any facial recognition capacity at all.

Thanks for the info.

It was the fact that the video is not alarmed that made me think someone had seen them go overboard.

No harm no foul. To me closing ALL the common spaces (bars) and ordering all back to cabins is the most efficient way to get an accurate nose count quickly. Minutes matter in these situations.

Sorry to hear this .... again? Do you think the railings on the balconies, at least should be higher? Not that this couldn't happen somewhere else on the ship for various other reasons.

Railings could be 20 ft high. If someone wants to jump, they will jump.

Just off balcony, search goes on.

Liberty using thrusters at position.

Eerie. No wind, flat sea. Small schools of fish

attracted to lights. Birds flying around.

Radios crackling in the distance, otherwise quiet.

Stars out.

Actually thought the fast response was amazing.

But not looking good. Heli grid searching now

accounting for current, they know their business.

:cool:

BTW...entire port side deck 4 used by security...

no way to muster on deck 4 for a head count.

Edited by rocketsurgery