Liberty...searching now possible man overboard

Agree this is an awful situation, and I dread to think what the parents are currently feeling.

I only mentioned convening at muster station as technically that is the convening point for emergencies, and is specicifically set up to take roll in an organized and quick manner. I also appreciate that going to cabins is less stressful for passengers, I just felt that it may be more time consuming.

Whilst I am glad 2 of the 3 missing people have been accounted for, I still pray for the 16 year old.

You can't listen for a person in the water with thousands of people on deck making noise.

I think that is an understatement. It depends upon your height, what's available to step upon, and your physical and mental condition.

If these are going to be your requirements, then there should be no balconies, or completely glassed in. Unless you are a center for an NBA team, and even then I have my doubts, your height will not affect whether a balcony railing stops you from falling over, that's why there are construction codes for this kind of thing. If you are going to say that what is available to stand on is a determining factor in railing design, stepping on something is a conscious decision, not falling, and to prevent people from having adverse effects from a conscious decision would require full enclosure. Not sure how physical condition would affect this, as the poorer your condition, the less likely you are to be able to get up and over the railing. Mental condition cannot be controlled, but it would still require a physical action to go over, not an involuntary one.

I am sorry for this individual and his family, but one does not fall overboard, and certainly not from a balcony railing.

NO. Just "no". No. They do not. NO.

Canadian? What are they doing down there???? :confused:

Doing our job to protect North America. There is Canadian Vessels all over the world right now

PS. I really hope they find this person but doesnt look good.

Edited by trev71

Doing our job to protect North America. There is Canadian Vessels all over the world right now

PS. I really hope they find this person but doesnt look good.

Canadian Forces Search and Rescue are some of the top units in the world.

We got in around 7:15 this morning. Still waiting to start disembarkation . It is confirmed a 16 yr old boy.

Captain and staff did an amazing job in this situation. Cabin stewards went room to room checking . It was shocking that after we were ordered back to rooms how long it took a few passengers to get back. !! They called a few names over and over for confirmation .

I very sad and tragic situation .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it strange that the Liberty is the only vessel that is traveling at such a quick rate (24 knots) through that corridor? All of the other vessels going both ways are max about 13 knots. I'm hoping that means maybe someone else found him and they're rushing back to port so that the family can disembark and go to him. When I first clicked on the vessel finder website the map showed a helicopter in the area, and then it was gone immediately.... I was thinking it would have stayed searching if they hadn't found anything yet.

No. They still had to get to port for turnaround day.

We got in around 7:15 this morning. Still waiting to start disembarkation . It is confirmed a 16 yr old boy.

Captain and staff did an amazing job in this situation. Cabin stewards went room to room checking . It was shocking that after we were ordered back to rooms how long it took a few passengers to get back. !! They called a few names over and over for confirmation .

I very sad and tragic situation .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS is why they don't send you to muster stations instead. People will say "Its not sailaway, I don't need to go to the muster station" or "I'm here, so I know its not me that's missing". Its a time frame issue, and with some ships having muster locations outside, they don't want the lights and noise of thousands of people going "what's going on" on the outside decks while trying to conduct a SAR.

no expert- but I believe they would carry out whatever orders came from the us coast guard

They were dismissed from station. Someone asked why they were going so fast and was it related to a recovery. Given their time and location the speed was to keep to schedule and not any other reason. Their speed is not controlled by USCG

no expert- but I believe they would carry out whatever orders came from the us coast guard

Generally, when the governmental agency tasked with SAR believes they have sufficient, professional assets in place, they will release commercial shipping from this activity. The agencies (USCG, CF SAR) do this for a living, and the last thing they want is to have to deal with untrained (merchant ships do drills, but don't routinely do searches) ships cluttering the area. There is a desire also to get the ship to port where the USCG and FBI can board and take statements while things are fresh in people's minds.

They were dismissed from station. Someone asked why they were going so fast and was it related to a recovery. Given their time and location the speed was to keep to schedule and not any other reason. Their speed is not controlled by USCG

I suspect the Gulf stream had something to do with how fast they were going.

I suspect the Gulf stream had something to do with how fast they were going.

While the Gulf Stream would affect the fuel they were burning, and the power generated, the speed would have been dictated by the ship's desire to meet itinerary. If she only needed 6 knots to get to port on time, she could have just about shut off the engines and let the Stream drift them there. :)

1 - They needed to KNOW for sure who was missing. Best guess is somebody was seen going over, or something that might have been overboard, but did not KNOW who or what it was.

2 - Going to cabins works just as well as muster station. Those muster stations are a pain in the.... Having hundreds of people in the various locations is not an easy way to check things. They then have to deal with various complaints and issues there. It takes considerable more crew to manage that process.

3 - Sit in cabin. Let them do a count of who is there. Customers are comfortable. Have access to water, bathroom, something to do. And, if they are already in stateroom to rest, or are sick, all is fine.

When they KNOW if someone is missing, they can then page them. There would be lots of people missing at the muster station as they wander about the ship.

Really is pretty simple stuff folks.

I noticed on vessel finder that the Canadian Forces war ships are now moving faster, one at 13.5 kn and the other at 7.6 kn. Does the faster movement of the ships mean anything?

Edited by geocruiser

I heard from Bob, he and Lee are okay.

Thanks. I assumed he was fine. :) Looking forward to his return to the boards.

I was hoping to wake up this morning to news that the kid had been found. Such a sad situation.

I noticed on vessel finder that the Canadian Forces war ships are now moving faster, one at 13.5 kn and the other at 7.6 kn. Does the faster movement of the ships mean anything?

Could be they are released from station, could be they are moving to the head of a new search grid. Impossible to tell.