Liberty...searching now possible man overboard

I think cabins are faster and they are going to use manpower to check all cabins anyway. People, knowing the ship itself is in no imminent danger, would not go from bar to muster station but go back to their cabin and make sure they have whatever they need or want for comfort at muster stations delaying the process. In addition you have some people in cabins and / or already asleep. Closing venues and sending all to cabins, to me, sounds like most economical use of time and resources.

True. I was just thinking that it is probably the cabin stewards that are designated with going door to door. As such they were likely asleep themselves, so hence why I though it may have taken longer to check.

I am not disagreeing in any way with going back to the cabin either, and was certainly not out to offend anyone. I was just curious about the protocol. as I say I have experienced two cruises with MOB but no head counts ever been done. Hence why I asked.

3:eek:

I am not an expert, but I am wondering if it would have been easier to have everyone go to muster stations and do a sweep of the ship, if they needed to do a roll call? Check cabins and public areas clear.

Like I say, in two sailings that involved MOB on neither did they do roll call, so this is new to me. But if most people are around the ship, the majority are likely to be around the muster station decks, in bars or entertainment venues. To me it makes sense that may be quicker identifying the missing person.

It sounds like they knew quite quickly someone went overboard, and they would have verified with the video cameras. At that point it is a question of who is missing. Once that is established it still seems strange to ask everyone else to stay in cabins.

Maybe they could just have everyone walk through the Bridge and check off names.

Maybe they could just announce free everything at the Promenade and count the people as they arrive.

Maybe it's a good thing you're not in charge.

No harm no foul. To me closing ALL the common spaces (bars) and ordering all back to cabins is the most efficient way to get an accurate nose count quickly. Minutes matter in these situations.

Thanks

I was just weighing up pros and cons to both scenarios. I like to over think things:rolleyes:

154 nautical miles from KW to Port Everglades. Let's be generous and say you are 15 miles north of KW, so 140 nautical miles. Doable in 7 hours time or even 6.5. Though making an on time or near on time arrival will depend on how long you stay on station.

Maybe they could just have everyone walk through the Bridge and check off names.

Maybe they could just announce free everything at the Promenade and count the people as they arrive.

Maybe it's a good thing you're not in charge.

No, I'm not in charge, that was why I was wondering what the protocol was.

Whilst it may sound stupid to you there is actually a reason why I feel it is useful to know what standard protocol is. That's because the last cruise we were on there was a MOB call. It was our first cruise where DD was not in AO as she had turned a teen. Whilst we knew where she said she would be, first instinct as a parent is "what if it's her" I remember the second we heard the announcement DH and myself instinctively looked at each other, and made sure we checked she was safe. There was no roll call. There were no announcements for ages.

So whilst you might regard my asking questions about protocol and why they do things as stupid, perhaps think about why people ask questions in the first place.

It is to understand and be better educated. And also to keep our DD up to speed with protocol, so that I can explain to her what happened tonight, and if this tragic event should ever happen on a future cruise and passengers are asked to return to cabins, she doesn't get alarmed and freak out as to why she is being told to return to the cabin.

There is always more than one way to deal with a situation. Sorry if you felt like me needing to know the why to explain to my daughter sounds stupid to you. Not trying to be rude, just saying. The events of tonight are every parents worst nightmare.

Edited by Spurschick

At some point the CG should release Liberty from search duty,

not sure how that protocol works.

Our next cabin door neighbors are sad about this situation....but

now wondering about their flights home.

:cool:

Whilst it may sound stupid to you there is actually a reason why I feel it is useful to know what standard protocol is. That's because the last cruise we were on there was a MOB call. It was our first cruise where DD was not in AO as she had turned a teen. Whilst we knew where she said she would be, first instinct as a parent is "what if it's her" I remember the second we heard the announcement DH and myself instinctively looked at each other, and made sure we checked she was safe. There was no roll call. There were no announcements for ages.

So whilst you might regard my asking questions about protocol and why they do things as stupid, perhaps think about why people ask questions in the first place.

It is to understand and be better educated. And also to keep our DD up to speed with protocol, so that I can explain to her what happened tonight, and if this tragic event should ever happen on a future cruise and passengers are asked to return to cabins, she doesn't get alarmed and freak out as to why she is being told to return to the cabin.

There is always more than one way to deal with a situation. Sorry if you felt like me needing to know the why to explain to my daughter sounds stupid to you. Not trying to be rude, just saying. The events of tonight are every parents worst nightmare.

Simply asking a question about protocol is not stupid at all. But beating a dead horse after it has been explained several different ways is.

If your daughter is a teen, she is old enough to understand orders and follow them. And I would be willing to bet she can understand why people are being ordered back to their cabins after a MOB announcement without "freaking out".

At some point the CG should release Liberty from search duty,

not sure how that protocol works.

Our next cabin door neighbors are sad about this situation....but

now wondering about their flights home.

Thanks for the updates. These last few weeks have unfortunately had many tragic issues for a number of cruise lines.

I think your timing is just "off". It seems a bit insensitive to be hashing out what you think would be a better protocol on an active MOB thread. The quibbling back and forth with what you think is right isn't appropriate right now (and comes across as annoying due to the circumstances. Sorry), that's all.

Simply asking a question about protocol is not stupid at all. But beating a dead horse after it has been explained several different ways is.

If your daughter is a teen, she is old enough to understand orders and follow them. And I would be willing to bet she can understand why people are being ordered back to their cabins after a MOB announcement without "freaking out".

I was actually responding to other posters. As I was typing my next response other posters were responding. I apologize if you felt I was beating a dead horse. That wasn't my intention. I was just trying to reply as I tried to keep up with posts. It has been a pretty fast moving thread and I am not the quickest at typing. I have the point. Let's move on cordially.

Edited by Spurschick

21.4 now.

Back to the real world...or was tonight the real world?

Sad.

I would like to spin this and say Captain made all the right calls.

The officers and crew were professional.

And... we did what were asked to do... and basically

stayed in our cabins.... and out of their way.

I will continue to cruise with Royal and have new

respect for their emergency response.

Is it strange that the Liberty is the only vessel that is traveling at such a quick rate (24 knots) through that corridor? All of the other vessels going both ways are max about 13 knots. I'm hoping that means maybe someone else found him and they're rushing back to port so that the family can disembark and go to him. When I first clicked on the vessel finder website the map showed a helicopter in the area, and then it was gone immediately.... I was thinking it would have stayed searching if they hadn't found anything yet.