Has this happened to you?Taxes are less for the sailing than what they were when we

stipmom

originally booked .

Booked a May 2016 Europe cruise onboard.Switched last week to the spring into savings promo and got all 3 perks. When TA sent me invoice noticed a $70 difference between what is on the invoice and what I expected it to be from what is on the website-both TA and Celebrity.Turns out when I booked taxes were $279 pp and now they are around$235pp.

Should I be entitled to a refund of the taxes? Thanks

originally booked .

Booked a May 2016 Europe cruise onboard.Switched last week to the spring into savings promo and got all 3 perks. When TA sent me invoice noticed a $70 difference between what is on the invoice and what I expected it to be from what is on the website-both TA and Celebrity.Turns out when I booked taxes were $279 pp and now they are around$235pp.

Yes, you are entitled to a refund. You can contact your TA and let them know. It is likely the change happened between the time you booked and the time you paid/deposited, and your TA simply didn't notice it.

The same thing happened for our Bermuda cruise, and when I alerted our TA, he confirmed with Celebrity and then adjusted our invoice and final amount due.

originally booked .

We also are booked on a May 2016 cruise (Silhouette British Isles) and Sunday my TA did the switch to Spring Into Savings for us so we could get the additional $300 discount (already had the 3 perks). The difference in taxes had been noted and so she was also able to save us the almost $70 difference for that. All in all, a good discount day for us! Our TA told us that some cruise lines automatically refund if there is a drop in the taxes but she has to call Celebrity for the adjustment. So, definitely ask your TA to take care of that for you!

Edited by Seattle@heart

When we sailed on the Constellation to Norway this summer, the taxes were less than what we were charged. The travel agent would not refund the difference. She also said if they went up from what we paid, we would not have to pay. But the last night of the cruise, I saw a credit for 92.00. When I went to the pursers desk to ask what it was for, they said for an overpayment of taxes. I asked for the money in cash.

When we sailed on the Constellation to Norway this summer, the taxes were less than what we were charged. The travel agent would not refund the difference. She also said if they went up from what we paid, we would not have to pay. But the last night of the cruise, I saw a credit for 92.00. When I went to the pursers desk to ask what it was for, they said for an overpayment of taxes. I asked for the money in cash.

Your TA, as you discovered, was just plain wrong.

I was also told by my TA that if it happened after final payment, we would get back the difference in OBC. Since we hadn't paid our final payment yet, he just adjusted the invoice.

Glad it worked out for you!

Spoke to Celebrity and they told me that it depends on the Revenue Department whether you get it back

Seems to me since I haven't used the service (the cruise) yet I should pay current tax not tax charged two months ago.

Still need the TA to do it.Here is a good reason for handling your own booking

same thing happened to me. My TA said she couldn't do anything about it because I was under a discounted contracted cabin group rate, but to bring the docs with me, visit guest relations once onbard and Celebrity may credit the diff in OBC. They did.

Spoke to Celebrity and they told me that it depends on the Revenue Department whether you get it back

Seems to me since I haven't used the service (the cruise) yet I should pay current tax not tax charged two months ago.

Still need the TA to do it.Here is a good reason for handling your own booking

It's just a good reason to find a better TA...LOL

I saw current taxes and port charges were now advertised by a TA (not ours) as less than what we paid for our May 2015 Summit to Bermuda cruise. We booked July 2014 and our son and D-in-L booked in December 2014. I requested refund from TA and TA said that taxes and port charges were based on WHEN we booked so subsequent reductions would not be made. A penalty for booking early?!?!

I saw current taxes and port charges were now advertised by a TA (not ours) as less than what we paid for our May 2015 Summit to Bermuda cruise. We booked July 2014 and our son and D-in-L booked in December 2014. I requested refund from TA and TA said that taxes and port charges were based on WHEN we booked so subsequent reductions would not be made. A penalty for booking early?!?!

Sounds like that TA does not know what s/he is talking about.

It is very common for the taxes to change even after final payment, and we've had them credited to our account on board several times.

If the TA cannot or will not adjust now, ask for an email indicating that refusal in writing. Then take a printout with you of what you paid and what the website shows as the tax, and speak to the front desk on board about a credit to your account.

Here is the thing about port taxes. They go up. They go down. If you were overcharged you will get a refund to your shipboard account that will be refunded in cash should you have a zero balance. With this in mind they can also go up while you on the ship sailing. Your account will be charged the difference of what you paid and what the current charge is. I have had both refunds and charges while on a cruise. So while your TA doesn't have a clue it will all come out in the wash.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I was looking at my on board account on the television and noticed a credit of somewhere around $5-$10 -- can't remember the exact amount, but it wasn't substantial. I went to guest relations and was told it was a credit for the port taxes.

Don't worry about, it, don't waste time calling or emailing anyone and being frustrated.

Just go on your cruise, and the variance will appear on your SeaPass account, and if you spend nothing on board, will be applied as a credit to the method of payment on your seaPass account.

Happens all the time. Good news is, they only refund when it goes own, they don't charge more when the costs go up.