is it too late to purchase insurance?

We sain on the Navigator of the Seas in 25 days. My wife just found out she will have her Gallbladder removed this Friday. I am nervouse even though the Surgeon told us he does not see any problems with her being able to cruise three weeks after surgery. Is it even possible to still by insurance? We plan to make every effort to be on that boat.

Others can guide you more effectively, but just remember that this is a pre-existing condition and she knows she is having surgery. If you are able to get coverage, I would imagine it costing a lot.

Are you flying to port? The plane ride could be uncomfortable for her as well, plus many unforeseen things like infection could also arise. OR she could bounce out of that hospital bed and be raring to go!

Let me just say that I cruised two weeks after having my gall bladder removed. It was by far the least amount that I have eaten on a ship but I otherwise was fine. Ask her doctor for a prescription for "oral suspension" medication (powdered form) as normal OTC GI-symptom meds are of no use for the indigestion caused by the inability to store bile.

I think you should still plan to go as long as you have medical evacuation insurance. As for finding cancellation insurance nearly two months after final payment that covers pre-existing conditions...don't stress yourself searching for it, just concentrate on her recovering in time.

Others can guide you more effectively, but just remember that this is a pre-existing condition and she knows she is having surgery. If you are able to get coverage, I would imagine it costing a lot.

Are you flying to port? The plane ride could be uncomfortable for her as well, plus many unforeseen things like infection could also arise. OR she could bounce out of that hospital bed and be raring to go!

We live about an hour from the port so it will be a quick easy drive. She has a pretty high tolerance for pain was at work less than a week after our first child. She is also in her 30's so healing should be fine. Just thinking about it makes me sick if it was me I would be out for months.

My DW had her Gall Bladder removed and we cruised about 45 days afterwards. She was released from the surgical ward about two hours after the surgery and had no health issues afterwards.

Hi,

My wife recently had her gall bladder removed via key hole surgery, I believe that most are done that way, she developed a very severe infection in the wound that they removed the bladder through. I believe that this can be quite common as the gall bladder is full of infection. Before she was diagnosed with the infection she complained of a "muzzy" head which kept getting worse. Strong antibiotics got rid of the infection but it did cause the wound to require daily attention.

Please keep an eye on your wife checking for increased temperature and any contra indications of her recovery.

Wish her well from me.

Pete

I know you are asking about insurance and people are giving you advice on her after care.... I am going to add myself to the unsolicited advice....

Since you will be driving to the port, my suggestion would be she take a small pillow with her. It can kinda be like a shock absorber, held loosely against her stomach, should the road get even the slightest bit bumpy.

I was up and out of bed doing laps in the hospital an hour or so out of recovery. The doctors told me I wouldn't be limited in what I eat, everyone else told me otherwise... everyone else who had their gallbladder removed knew better. most common complaint is iceberg lettuce, it will most likely no longer be her friend. Romaine, Spring mix, spinach most dark leafy lettuce is fine. Greasy foods, deep fried food, and really fatty foods will be trial and error (I would try to avoid them on the cruise)

Thats my 2 cents feel free to ignore it or pass it along

Happy Cruising

Thank you everyone for your input and advise. We appreciate it all. At this point I think insurance is a wash and we will just wait and see what happens. After research I feel we will be OK but I never will not purchase insurance when i purchase a cruise again. I know Rookie Mistake. I also would never try to force her to go is she did not feel she was up to it. I may have to rethink our excursions but once again no big issue.

I traveled 2 weeks after having my gallbladder removed toting an infant and a toddler. There were weight restrictions on what I could lift and carry so this will need to be factored in when it comes to luggage and carry-on. So you will literally be doing all of the even moderately heavy lifting. I could carry the infant or the car seat but the infant in the car seat was over the limit.

I would not chance buying insurance. If you went to a doctor to see about it then its now going to be listed as a pre excisting condtion. (trust me I know all about insurance and the pre excisting condtion thing. Ive had mind removed as well after a few days It was ok. Just couldnt do alot of lifting and tugging. I know the pains are horrible until its removed. Hopefully it holds up so you guys can enjoy your cruise

By 3 weeks post-surgery, you should be able to have the doctor take a look to see if the healing is coming along smoothly. Avoid lifting and slowly add any food that could trigger a problem. A visit to the doctor as close as possible to the date you cruise could alleviate many of your concerns if all is well. Cancel for "any reason" insurance would be your only possible hope, as all others must be purchased within 10-15 days of booking your cruise to cover any pre-existing condition. Note I said "possible" hope. This would only cover if your wife is having a problem and you decide to cancel. Once on the cruise, any problem would not be covered (because it would be determined to be pre-existing). My daughter had the surgery a couple of years ago and she would have been fine to go on a cruise but would have had to be careful with some of the food.

Dw and I get our insurance through a well known insurance company very reasonable rate and they even cover missed ports i believe it's against the rules to name specific companies so I'll just say they are on my side

Only against rules to name travel agencies. Insurance, excursions, transportation, hotels, etc. are all fair game.

Only against rules to name travel agencies. Insurance, excursions, transportation, hotels, etc. are all fair game.

Ive talked about hotels and people post about hotels all the time, espically on roll calls . I dont think that is one of them. I can understand TA's though, they could start a big war :o

Edited by trev71

There are policies you can buy with "cancel for any reason" coverage, but they will be a bit more expensive than typical policies, and you'll still need to read the fine print to be sure it covers medical reasons that are from a pre-existing condition.

It's not really fair to the insurance companies, if you get to the point of thinking it's likely that you'll have to cancel, so you buy insurance to get someone else to pay for it. In this case, it sounds like you still expect to be able to go, so you may be able to get something. Hopefully, though, all will go well, and you'll be enjoying your cruise in a few weeks.

Sure, there are cancel for any reason policies.

But, most have in the small print a clause about pre existing conditions. After all, at this point, it would be a poor bet for the insurance company.

I will add this disclaimer about insurance.

1 - The poster CAN afford to pay for a cruise. They already did. And in most cases are ready to spend hundreds or even thousands more $$$ onboard.

2 - If they are unable to cruise, they did not lose all that money. They will lose out on the cost of the cruise. The part that they will miss is the cruise. They already spent the money, so, they can afford it.

I will add to what others have said to offer assurance that all can go well. My husband had to have his gallbladder removed about one week before our cruise. Our main worry was getting a doctor to do it in time since it was discovered only a few days before having it removed. The doctor cleared him to go and the only thing he felt was tired from the surgery. A cruise is perfect for relaxing and we had to take it easy the first few days, but he did not have any problems. With 3 weeks healing I think you will be over any worries by then. Have a great cruise!

Let me just say that I cruised two weeks after having my gall bladder removed. It was by far the least amount that I have eaten on a ship but I otherwise was fine. Ask her doctor for a prescription for "oral suspension" medication (powdered form) as normal OTC GI-symptom meds are of no use for the indigestion caused by the inability to store bile.

I think you should still plan to go as long as you have medical evacuation insurance. As for finding cancellation insurance nearly two months after final payment that covers pre-existing conditions...don't stress yourself searching for it, just concentrate on her recovering in time.

The Medevac is a good idea but still covered by pre-existing condition exclusion terms which would say if she had a post surgical problem it would not have to pay for the claim.

Almost always best to first read exclusions of a policy and see if they are problematic before reading the coverage and then buy.

In case of OP yes they can get policies of various sorts but coverage will be very limited and generally not what someone just having surgery would want.

Surgery went well so now here is to some quick healing. The Dr said there is no reason why she should not be on that boat as long as things go as planned.

I'm happy to hear all went well. Does she have dissolving stitches, regular stitches or staples? Only reason I ask, I had a dissolving stitch that did not dissolve. Wasn't much of an issue just a visit to the doctor, out within 5 mins. I just know you are leaving soon and want to make sure she has one last check up before you leave, if needed.