Formal attire for men

3095-ag

If you choose to enter a dining room but choose not to comply with the requested dress code, you are putting your wants above the interests of your fellow diners --- many of whom chose that ship, at least in part, because of that dress code: that is egotism.

So well said. And so true. Before my husband passed away, there were few times we got to get REALLY dressed up. To both of us, it was really special to put on the nines and enjoy a night out. Nothing like a guy in a tux. Beats the heck out of the Levis and T shirts we wore most days.

His company Xmas party used to be formal-then it declined to a sports coat and slacks. I owe a international logistics company (read glorified trucking company that moves freight worldwide). How many times do you think there are formal parties for trucking companies-some conferences where suits are required, most just business casual. And the formal parties are few and far between with the exception of a few large food companies on the East Coast and those are fabulous.

Vegas is now shorts and flip flops when it used to be cocktail dresses and at least suits. Obviously, living in AZ, we aren't dining at the better restaurants in NYC every week where dress codes are enforced. And New Years Eve 2014, I went by myself to the Hyatt downtown Phoenix for a concert where the dress code was ENFORCED-nothing less than a suit for men and the women were blinged up more than I have seen for a long time. I missed him horribly but had a great time all dressed up and enjoying the ambiance of the entire hotel ballroom and fellow patrons.

We almost always chose cruises that were 2 weeks in length (eliminates a lot of the family groups and a lot of the "it's my vacation, I'll wear my flip flops and jeans crowd".) Never been to the Caribbean nor have any desire to go. And we picked cruise lines that at least tried to uphold the dress code for a few special nights-Celebrity, Seaborn, Cunard and HAL.

Did we spend money for the pictures-rarely. Only ones we purchased with regularity were the boarding photos or those you could take with the Captain (Cunard and Seaborn). Our cameras work plenty well the rest of the time.

But to sit with schlubs in jeans, shirts without ties, etc. etc. just downgraded the formal night atmosphere so much, you might as well go to Olive Garden or TGIF's and schlepp along with the rest of the crowd that could care less.

I've said my peace. Won't find me on an RCCL, NCL, Carnival or other ships where the attitude is very often "WEAR WHAT YOU WANT", no one cares. Well, I do and as navybankerteacher posted, I DO choose ships where the formal ambiance and attire is a BIG part of the experience.

You really do not understand, do you? No one cares what you wear - really - no one claims any right to tell you what to wear. They do, however, have a right to feel that people who do not believe that requested guidelines apply to them are the ones with the ego problem.

If you choose to enter a dining room but choose not to comply with the requested dress code, you are putting your wants above the interests of your fellow diners --- many of whom chose that ship, at least in part, because of that dress code: that is egotism.

Why don't you put it to rest, I am not interested an any further discussion with you.:rolleyes:

Good Grief!! How hard is it for a man to put on polo shirt with some slacks / dockers / khakis on with or without a jacket / blazer on? Because honestly, that what some cruise lines formal nights for suggested dress code for men at the bare minimum are- And if you can't muster that, either pick another location for dinner that evening or pick another cruise line that doesn't have minimum dress requirement for any dinner night in the MDR. :rolleyes:

Edited by maywell

How hard is it to understand that the cruise line personnel decide what is allowed in the MDR on "formal" nights.

If they don't allow it, you don't see it !

Accept what the cruise line decides is best for their business, or find another line that will allow you to set the rules.

Good Grief!! How hard is it for a man to put on polo shirt with some slacks / dockers / khakis on with or without a jacket / blazer on? Because honestly, that what some cruise lines formal nights for suggested dress code for men at the bare minimum are- And if you can't muster that, either pick another location for dinner that evening or pick another cruise line that doesn't have minimum dress requirement for any dinner night in the MDR. :rolleyes:

How hard is it to understand that the cruise line personnel decide what is allowed in the MDR on "formal" nights.

If they don't allow it, you don't see it !

Accept what the cruise line decides is best for their business, or find another line that will allow you to set the rules.

LOL

Is might be as popular as the Mayweather - ******** fight.;) (I guess CC doesn't like Manny's chances either!)

Hmmmm which one on you is Floyd? :)

Edited by DirtyDawg

LOL

Is might be as popular as the Mayweather - ******** fight.;) (I guess CC doesn't like Manny's chances either!)

Hmmmm which one on you is Floyd? :)

Let me put like this - If you're dumb enough to wear a Hawaiian shirt and shorts on a Carnival formal night in the MDR, you deserve to be kick out of there. Just saying.....

Let me put like this - If you're dumb enough to wear a Hawaiian shirt and shorts on a Carnival formal night in the MDR, you deserve to be kick out of there. Just saying.....

I haven't been on Carnival in years. Do they even have "Formal" nights these days? If they do, how many of those Hawaiian shirt and shorts people actually get kicked out of the MDR? You obviously would like 100%. Do you also want 100% of the Hawaiian shirt and Dockers crowd kicked out too?

Edited by DirtyDawg

I haven't been on Carnival in years. Do they even have "Formal" nights these days? If they do, how many of those Hawaiian shirt and shorts people actually get kicked out of the MDR? You obviously would like 100%. Do you also want 100% of the Hawaiian shirt and Dockers crowd kicked out too?

Last i went, they did on Tuesday and Thursday for week along one - which is announce int he dailies the day of and before plus it on the MDR menu windows outside the doors - so no excuses that one didn't know. I saw Hawaiian shirt and shorts along with his basketball jersey with no shirt under, getting kick of of the MDR - so I guess that Carnival ship takes dress codes seriously. If the dress code says no Hawaiian shirt on formal nights, guess what? No Hawaiian shirt on formal night and the person who wore it deserves to be kick out, its that simple. :cool:

Again, if you can't wear the bare minimum suggested dress code of polo shirt with slacks/ dockers / khakis with or without a jacket / blazer - find another place to eat that formal night or pick another cruise line that doesn't have formal night(s) or strictly enforces it. Its not that bloody hard for anyone to figure out - if you don't like that cruise line / ship is enforcing the dress code, DON'T. SAIL. ON. IT. EVER. AGAIN. :rolleyes:

Edit: Mind you, one male tablemate had polo shirt and slacks w/o a jacket which the Maitre and Waiters allowed to sit while another male tablemate had a business suit with tie on Formal nights - So there, 2 male extreme dressing styles sitting at the same table.

Edited by maywell

Suggested vs. manditory. 'tis the question. Hmmmm:confused:

Sometimes suggested = maditory. Like when;

My DW suggests I take out the garbage; or

My Tax accountant suggests I only take certain deductions.

Sometimes suggested = suggested. Like when;

A for profit company suggests a certain dress code for nights it want its customers to buy more overpriced photos.;)

I'll take that suggestion under advisement.:D

A good differentiation between "suggested" and "mandatory" - still, common courtesy would "suggest" complying with the suggested dress code.

On an unrelated note: your signature is just a bit off - it is not about a million monkeys (which would be an absurd contention), rather it refers to an infinite number of monkeys (making the production of any literary work an ultimate certainty).

A good differentiation between "suggested" and "mandatory" - still, common courtesy would "suggest" complying with the suggested dress code.

On an unrelated note: your signature is just a bit off - it is not about a million monkeys (which would be an absurd contention), rather it refers to an infinite number of monkeys (making the production of any literary work an ultimate certainty).

I would advise Mr. Robert Wilensky of the error of his ways. But of course the acclaimed Mr. Wilensky, who was the Artificial Intelligence Expert at U.C. Berkley for nearly 30 years, died a couple of years ago.:(

As an aside I think you totally miss the meaning of his quote.:D Think about it.;);)

Last i went, they did on Tuesday and Thursday for week along one - which is announce int he dailies the day of and before plus it on the MDR menu windows outside the doors - so no excuses that one didn't know. I saw Hawaiian shirt and shorts along with his basketball jersey with no shirt under, getting kick of of the MDR - so I guess that Carnival ship takes dress codes seriously. If the dress code says no Hawaiian shirt on formal nights, guess what? No Hawaiian shirt on formal night and the person who wore it deserves to be kick out, its that simple. :cool:

Again, if you can't wear the bare minimum suggested dress code of polo shirt with slacks/ dockers / khakis with or without a jacket / blazer - find another place to eat that formal night or pick another cruise line that doesn't have formal night(s) or strictly enforces it. Its not that bloody hard for anyone to figure out - if you don't like that cruise line / ship is enforcing the dress code, DON'T. SAIL. ON. IT. EVER. AGAIN. :rolleyes:

Edit: Mind you, one male tablemate had polo shirt and slacks w/o a jacket which the Maitre and Waiters allowed to sit while another male tablemate had a business suit with tie on Formal nights - So there, 2 male extreme dressing styles sitting at the same table.

You got me thinking. The Carnival web site suggests the following; " Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat."

:eek: You are not suggesting ;) that cruisers ignore Carnival's suggestion and wear a "polo shirt with slacks/ dockers / khakis with or without a jacket / blazer".

Secretly you are one of us aren't you.:D

BTW If you wore a polo shirt and Dockers on Elegant night I would still welcome you while dressed in my dress slacks, dress shirt (OK maybe a Hawaiian ;)) with a proper jacket (I just hate sports coats on me). I'm just willing to judge people for who they are, and not what they wear. But that's just me.

Edited by DirtyDawg

I would advise Mr. Robert Wilensky of the error of his ways. But of course the acclaimed Mr. Wilensky, who was the Artificial Intelligence Expert at U.C. Berkley for nearly 30 years, died a couple of years ago.:(

As an aside I think you totally miss the meaning of his quote.:D Think about it.;);)

Your reference to Robert Wilensky is interesting - in that he referred to "a million monkeys" in discussing the probability theory put forth by Robert Borel in the 1920 's - he misquoted Borel who referred to "infinite" rather than "million" - the difference of course is significant - while it is absurd to propose that a million monkeys could accomplish anything specific, true probability theory - which holds that an infinite number of monkeys with an unlimited time span would, in fact must, accomplish virtually anything.

This, of course, requires the understanding of the concepts of "infinite" and unlimited time".

All of which goes to prove Alexander Pope's caution that "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

You rely too heavily on Mr.Wilensky's mis-statement concerning probability theory.

You got me thinking. The Carnival web site suggests the following; " Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat."

:eek: You are not suggesting ;) that cruisers ignore Carnival's suggestion and wear a "polo shirt with slacks/ dockers / khakis with or without a jacket / blazer".

Secretly you are one of us aren't you.:D

BTW If you wore a polo shirt and Dockers on Elegant night I would still welcome you while dressed in my dress slacks, dress shirt (OK maybe a Hawaiian ;)) with a proper jacket (I just hate sports coats on me). I'm just willing to judge people for who they are, and not what they wear. But that's just me.

You do know when they talk about dress shirts - which are plain color, checkered or stripe; they're not referring to Hawiian shirts which are flower and sometimes 'loud'... A simple google picture search will show you the difference between the 2 shirts.:rolleyes:

You can make as many excuses as you want and I will still point you to 2 simple solutions to your excuses - 1) don't dine there on formal night if you can't dress for it and/or 2) find a cruise line/ship that doesn't enforce the dress codes on formal night. :cool:

Your reference to Robert Wilensky is interesting - in that he referred to "a million monkeys" in discussing the probability theory put forth by Robert Borel in the 1920 's - he misquoted Borel who referred to "infinite" rather than "million" - the difference of course is significant - while it is absurd to propose that a million monkeys could accomplish anything specific, true probability theory - which holds that an infinite number of monkeys with an unlimited time span would, in fact must, accomplish virtually anything.

This, of course, requires the understanding of the concepts of "infinite" and unlimited time".

All of which goes to prove Alexander Pope's caution that "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

You rely too heavily on Mr.Wilensky's mis-statement concerning probability theory.

Respectively, you may be misinterpreting Mr Mr. Wilensky's co-called 'mis- statement'. You might want to ponder that statement. (don't take it so literally ;))

Actually that whole discussion would be fun outside these silly little cruise forums. Is there a private communication feature on this board?

Edited by DirtyDawg

You do know when they talk about dress shirts - which are plain color, checkered or stripe; they're not referring to Hawiian shirts which are flower and sometimes 'loud'... A simple google picture search will show you the difference between the 2 shirts.:rolleyes:

You can make as many excuses as you want and I will still point you to 2 simple solutions to your excuses - 1) don't dine there on formal night if you can't dress for it and/or 2) find a cruise line/ship that doesn't enforce the dress codes on formal night. :cool:

But you didn't answer my question. "You are not suggesting that cruisers ignore Carnival's suggestion and wear a "polo shirt with slacks/ dockers / khakis with or without a jacket / blazer". ;):p