Formal attire for men

3095-ag

We have seen a deterioration in cruising over the years.

We no longer care about dining in the MDR on formal nights. The dinner is really nothing special although the cruise line wants to pretend that it is.

So we pass on it and dine elsewhere. Works for us because we are light packers. Everyone has their own preference. There is too much 'pretend' for our liking.

We have not been on Cunard. But our experience on HAL, RCI, Celebrity, Princess, etc is that formal nights are no longer very special. Just an opportunity to increase revenue by selling photos.

Edited by iancal

Interesting, I have never seen anyone turned away, including myself. I never wear a jacket or tie to formal night if I choose to eat in the MDR.

I suggest that those who like formal night so much dress formally every night of their cruise. No one would question them or turn them away.:)

I have personally seen several men turned away from the MDR because they were not wearing a jacket. There were some loaner jackets available if they chose to use one.

We thanked the Dining Room Manager for following through on the suggested attired mentioned in the cruise information.

I have personally seen several men turned away from the MDR because they were not wearing a jacket. There were some loaner jackets available if they chose to use one.

We thanked the Dining Room Manager for following through on the suggested attired mentioned in the cruise information.

Have you thought about dressing formal every night of the cruise? I'm confident you wouldn't be turned away even though the suggested dress was causal.;)

Funny how things change over time.

The first time we skipped formal night in the MDR was a number of years ago. We attended one. On the second DW said let's skip it. I was OK with it because I wore suits every day...wearing a suit on a warm Caribbean cruise was not my idea of fun. DW always wanted to attend, so I did.

Well, now when we cruise DW is the first to question why we would bother with formal nights. She does not want to pack for it and the few times that we have packed and attended she has come away with the attitude of why bother, it is hardly worth it.

So now we don't. I do not think that we are missing much, other than lugging around a bunch of clothes and shoes that we would otherwise never take on vacation.

So it is quite straightforward. If you don't want to bother taking the clothes, jacket, etc. just dine somewhere else. Hardly rocket science is it?

Edited by iancal

Have you thought about dressing formal every night of the cruise? I'm confident you wouldn't be turned away even though the suggested dress was causal.;)

Why would someone want to dress formally on a casual night? That would be almost as silly as someone refusing to comply wait suggested dress code on a formal night,

All of you have been so helpful. Thank you and my husband looks forward to attending formal night "without" a tie!

Good for you! As you noted YMMV but most cruiselines treat you with respect and a smile as long as you don't come looking like you came straight from the pool.

Not different than a fine land establishment, you'll find many in nice attire and some that show up in jeans. Not saying jeans is "okay" but I've seen them in the main dining room.

The only people that seem to get upset, seems those that like to vent here :D

Why would someone want to dress formally on a casual night? That would be almost as silly as someone refusing to comply wait suggested dress code on a formal night,

Sometimes dressing up is just fun, after all you are dressing up for event, but hopefully mostly for your companion, no?

I didn't say I wanted them to, I clearly said have they thought about it. You make think it is silly, but I don't. You are entitle to your opinion as I am.:rolleyes:

If a dress code is suggested, how does one not comply if it is not mandatory?:rolleyes:

If a dress code is suggested, how does one not comply if it is not mandatory?:rolleyes:

One does not comply with a suggested, but non-mandatory, dress code by simply not complying. It is impossible to not comply with a mandatory dress code: if you are not appropriately dressed, you are not there.

Not that hard to understand.

DW and I do like to dress up on whatever night passes for "formal" night on the cruise that we are on, but I wear a business suit only because I feel that I would be in a distinct minority if I wore my tux (and my observations of other passengers bears that out).

DW and I do like to dress up on whatever night passes for "formal" night on the cruise that we are on, but I wear a business suit only because I feel that I would be in a distinct minority if I wore my tux (and my observations of other passengers bears that out).

Even formal Cunard now stipulates business suit OR tux for formal night - and even there, in my experience, no more than 50% of men wore tuxes.

I didn't say I wanted them to, I clearly said have they thought about it. You make think it is silly, but I don't. You are entitle to your opinion as I am.:rolleyes:

Suggested vs. manditory. 'tis the question. Hmmmm:confused:

Sometimes suggested = maditory. Like when;

My DW suggests I take out the garbage; or

My Tax accountant suggests I only take certain deductions.

Sometimes suggested = suggested. Like when;

A for profit company suggests a certain dress code for nights it want its customers to buy more overpriced photos.;)

I'll take that suggestion under advisement.:D

Edited by DirtyDawg

Suggested vs. manditory. 'tis the question. Hmmmm:confused:

Sometimes suggested = maditory. Like when;

My DW suggests I take out the garbage; or

My Tax accountant suggests I only take certain deductions.

Sometimes suggested = suggested. Like when;

A for profit company suggests a certain dress code for nights it want its customers to buy more overpriced photos.;)

I'll take that suggestion under advisement.:D

My DH and I dress nicely (i.e. follow suggested dress code) and NEVER buy the photos. Some people LIKE to have photos of themselves dressed nicely. By the way, you do NOT have to follow the dress code to have the photos taken. You can go to the photography stations and have your picture taken wearing jeans, if you like.

The cruise line does NOT make you buy photos. I'm so tired of hearing people say it's a ploy to sell photos -- only because they don't want to/know how to dress a bit nicer than usual.

This whole discussion is so sad -- people who are too stubborn to "submit" to wearing a jacket or tie -- after KNOWING that it is the polite thing to do when suggested. How self-centered must one be to insist on not wearing a jacket or tie BUT want to make sure they get to eat in the "grown up" dining room?

And, when all other arguments fail ("I don't want to have to pack a jacket", "I'm on vacation, I don't want to have to wear a jacket", "I'm uncomfortable in dressy clothes"), say that Formal Nights are just a ruse to sell photos. Sheesh! All over putting on a jacket! :)

One does not comply with a suggested, but non-mandatory, dress code by simply not complying. It is impossible to not comply with a mandatory dress code: if you are not appropriately dressed, you are not there.

Not that hard to understand.

Why don't you wear formal clothing all the time, maybe that would satisfy your ego.:rolleyes:

Why don't you wear formal clothing all the time, maybe that would satisfy your ego.:rolleyes:

It is not a matter of ego to show courtesy to ones fellow passengers - it is simple civility. I am not sure of precisely how to identify the character traits of those who feel that requested guidelines do not apply to them: it is better not to give them that much thought.

Good for you! As you noted YMMV but most cruiselines treat you with respect and a smile as long as you don't come looking like you came straight from the pool.

Not different than a fine land establishment, you'll find many in nice attire and some that show up in jeans. Not saying jeans is "okay" but I've seen them in the main dining room.

The only people that seem to get upset, seems those that like to vent here :D

Many cruise lines will turn away jeans after 6:00 pm.

It is not a matter of ego to show courtesy to ones fellow passengers - it is simple civility. I am not sure of precisely how to identify the character traits of those who feel that requested guidelines do not apply to them: it is better not to give them that much thought.

Jezz,

They are guidelines, not rules.:rolleyes: I don't care what YOU wear to dinner.;)

My DH and I dress nicely (i.e. follow suggested dress code) and NEVER buy the photos. Some people LIKE to have photos of themselves dressed nicely. By the way, you do NOT have to follow the dress code to have the photos taken. You can go to the photography stations and have your picture taken wearing jeans, if you like.

The cruise line does NOT make you buy photos. I'm so tired of hearing people say it's a ploy to sell photos -- only because they don't want to/know how to dress a bit nicer than usual.

This whole discussion is so sad -- people who are too stubborn to "submit" to wearing a jacket or tie -- after KNOWING that it is the polite thing to do when suggested. How self-centered must one be to insist on not wearing a jacket or tie BUT want to make sure they get to eat in the "grown up" dining room?

And, when all other arguments fail ("I don't want to have to pack a jacket", "I'm on vacation, I don't want to have to wear a jacket", "I'm uncomfortable in dressy clothes"), say that Formal Nights are just a ruse to sell photos. Sheesh! All over putting on a jacket! :)

Thanks for the chuckle.:D Same old bluh, bluh, bluh from the fashion police.

So why do you think the cruise lines have dress up night? Or sell booze.... or 'art'....or spa treatments......? It's all about the money. I'll let you in on a little secret the cruise lines do not love you - they love your money. :(

Sheesh!!! All this over some people not putting on jackets for a made up event held in a 2 star resturant .:D:D

At least you are consistent -- in not appearing to care about anything beyond what YOU (capitalization suggested by YOU) want.

I'm sure that some of us anti-fashion police types are about the Me, Me, Me thing. But I wonder how many of fashion police types are also about the Me, Me, Me thing? i.e. "I want you to conform to the suggested dress code because if you don't you will affect ME, ME, ME and MY enjoyment of MY cruise."

I bet it's a lot more than the fashion police types would like to admit.;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

At least you are consistent -- in not appearing to care about anything beyond what YOU (capitalization suggested by YOU) want.

There you go again with your unsubstantiated allegations. I said I don't care what YOU wear to dinner, where did I say I don't care about anything beyond me.:rolleyes:

You have ego issues that YOU need to address.;)

"I'm NOT going to dress up! I'm NOT going to wear a jacket! I'm not, I'm not, I'm not!"

Those of us who are able to read the guidelines, comprehend the guidelines and follow the guidelines need to remember some very sage advice:

Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty and the pig likes it! :)

"I'm NOT going to dress up! I'm NOT going to wear a jacket! I'm not, I'm not, I'm not!"

Those of us who are able to read the guidelines, comprehend the guidelines and follow the guidelines need to remember some very sage advice:

Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty and the pig likes it! :)

Pigs can read!! hallelujah!

Like my Mom used to say; "you can put lipstick on a pig, (or a Tux) but it's still a pig.":D

Edited by DirtyDawg

There you go again with your unsubstantiated allegations. I said I don't care what YOU wear to dinner, where did I say I don't care about anything beyond me.:rolleyes:

You have ego issues that YOU need to address.;)

You really do not understand, do you? No one cares what you wear - really - no one claims any right to tell you what to wear. They do, however, have a right to feel that people who do not believe that requested guidelines apply to them are the ones with the ego problem.

If you choose to enter a dining room but choose not to comply with the requested dress code, you are putting your wants above the interests of your fellow diners --- many of whom chose that ship, at least in part, because of that dress code: that is egotism.