Formal attire for men

3095-ag

To me, formal means jacket and tie for men, but it seems like many cruisers opt not to get that dressed up. My husband hates to get dressed up and he really hates wearing a tie (usually the most he will do is slacks and a button down shirt, and he wears his everyday black Doc Martens unless he absolutely has to wear his dress shoes, and I usually don't care as long as he looks clean and his shirt isn't wrinkled), but I want the two of us to get really dressed up for formal night on the cruise and get some nice pictures. I'm considering renting a tux for him so he doesn't have to hassle with packing his suit and shoes (I talked it over with him and he said he'd be willing to wear one for a little while since cruises aren't a common occurrence for us), and I have a nice long evening gown that will pack easily. We are traveling with 12 other members of his family of various ages and it doesn't seem like any of them are planning on getting super dressed up for formal night (more along the lines of semi-formal: slacks and button down shirts for the guys sans ties, and skirts/dress slacks and nice blouses/dress jackets for the women), so I know we are probably going to stand out for actually being dressed formal on formal night, but I think it will be fun. With that being said, I'm pretty sure your husband can get away with not wearing a tie as I can guarantee he won't be the only guy who doesn't want to hassle with one. Some cruise lines may be more strict than others when it comes to seating in the main dining room on formal night, though, so you may want to check and see how strict yours is. You can always throw a tie in your suitcase just in case he ends up having to wear one.

Cunard apparently does. Among my investigating a jacket is needed for all nights and a tie/dressed neck for formal nights as well. Although things apparently changed recently.

Family who sail on P and O say its formal as well and I have heard Crystal cruises mentioned as very formal as well.

I have not heard of people being turned away but I imagine it happens. When discussing cravats and whatnot on the Cunard board even they were not acceptable on formal night (apparently).

Note to self:

- Never book a cruise on Cunard, P&O, or Crystal.

- Buy new "dress" jeans and polos for dinner on upcoming cruise.

I only have eyes for 1 fella and he chooses very nice and high quality on his own. What can I say, I enjoy a well dressed man. :)

The hang up with these dress code threads is what is the definition of a 'well dressed man'? Are you sure your definition is my definition is my neighbor's definition, is the cruise line's definition???? We don't seem to all agree. :D

Jacket with no tie is fine...no worries!

That is misleading to some. You need to indicate for which cruise line(s) that would be fine. If someone depends upon this information, they could have an unpleasant surprise if they are turned away from the dining room on formal night.

The hang up with these dress code threads is what is the definition of a 'well dressed man'? Are you sure your definition is my definition is my neighbor's definition, is the cruise line's definition???? We don't seem to all agree. :D

[/b]

Jacket and tie seems to cover formal for most lines. A $100 suit and a $15 shirt and $10 tie is formal wear to the cruiselines. It's the "type" of clothing not "quality". At this point in time that is what matters. A "jacket and tie" no matter how ill fitting or outdated or just plain ugly is all that seems to matter to the cruiselines. I'm a little fussier than they are but like I said I only care what my guy wears and how my guy looks.

I'm not sure what you or your neighbour's idea of a well dressed man is but picture George Clooney in a tux to understand what my definition is.:D

Jacket and tie seems to cover formal for most lines. A $100 suit and a $15 shirt and $10 tie is formal wear to the cruiselines. It's the "type" of clothing not "quality". At this point in time that is what matters. A "jacket and tie" no matter how ill fitting or outdated or just plain ugly is all that seems to matter to the cruiselines. I'm a little fussier than they are but like I said I only care what my guy wears and how my guy looks.

I'm not sure what you or your neighbour's idea of a well dressed man is but picture George Clooney in a tux to understand what my definition is.:D

But how does anyone set down in writing what quality of clothing is acceptable.

Also some men [and indeed women] can wear a rubbish sack and look good, others look pretty ordinary in Armani [unfortunately I'm in group 2, but fortunately my darling s in group 1].

Which cruise lines do you had personal knowledge that turned away passengers not dressed formally?

I have personally seen people turned away on Princess and Celebrity and had a person complain to me that he was turned away on HAL [though he had simply overlooked that it was formal night so into a Tux in nothing flat and back to eating].

Interestingly on Celebrity the person who was turned away was dressed closer to the written code than another family that was alowed in.

But how does anyone set down in writing what quality of clothing is acceptable.

Also some men [and indeed women] can wear a rubbish sack and look good, others look pretty ordinary in Armani [unfortunately I'm in group 2, but fortunately my darling s in group 1].

The point is you can't set a quality on clothing but you can demand a shirt with a collar and a tie and a jacket and long pants. :)

I have a DD in group 1 and boy do the rest of us hate shopping with her! I think that I'm doing ok until she comes out in the same outfit!

Edited by Karysa

I have personally seen people turned away on Princess and Celebrity and had a person complain to me that he was turned away on HAL [though he had simply overlooked that it was formal night so into a Tux in nothing flat and back to eating].

Interestingly on Celebrity the person who was turned away was dressed closer to the written code than another family that was alowed in.

Interesting, I have never seen anyone turned away, including myself. I never wear a jacket or tie to formal night if I choose to eat in the MDR.

I suggest that those who like formal night so much dress formally every night of their cruise. No one would question them or turn them away.:)

Interesting, I have never seen anyone turned away, including myself. I never wear a jacket or tie to formal night if I choose to eat in the MDR.

I suggest that those who like formal night so much dress formally every night of their cruise. No one would question them or turn them away.:)

It s a rarity, the point is it does occasionally happen.

On some cruises I do dress formally every night.:D

On some I dress casually every night.

The point is you can't set a quality on clothing but you can demand a shirt with a collar and a tie and a jacket and long pants. :)

I have a DD in group 1 and boy do the rest of us hate shopping with her! I think that I'm doing ok until she comes out in the same outfit!

That was my pont is is difficult to set quality of clothes, so instead thay seta standard of clothes, ie you can wear a suit and tie from Walmart or whatever the equivalent is and it is easy to police, but if you set a quality level how do you prove your dress equates with that quality, almost impossible to police.

That was my pont is is difficult to set quality of clothes, so instead thay seta standard of clothes, ie you can wear a suit and tie from Walmart or whatever the equivalent is and it is easy to police, but if you set a quality level how do you prove your dress equates with that quality, almost impossible to police.

Yes, I agree. I think that has been my point all along. :)

It s a rarity, the point is it does occasionally happen.

On some cruises I do dress formally every night.:D

On some I dress casually every night.

I for one have no problem with you and others dressing formally every night of your cruise.:)

My husband just hates wearing a tie on formal. We found a way to get around wearing the tie and still looking nice. First we brought a tux for him. (yes a tux). The we brought some mandarin collar shirts and a jeweled button clip to wear on the button that showed by his neck.

His shirt looks like this, but we got them in pale colors. No trouble now on formal night.

http://www.finetuxedos.com/ivory-banded-tuxedo-flyfront-shirt.html

Edited by geocruiser

DH and I always dressed in true formal on the ships for over 20 years. He always had tuxedo, appropriate formal shirts, cummerbuns and ties for each formal night. I always wore long dress with appropriate high heeled sandals/shoes and formal purse. Then HAL started describing formal as jacket and tie for gents. We continued with our formal wear but each cruise saw more showing up in blazer and grey trousers and the women in pants and sparkly tops. That is no 'real' definition of formal and thus, we stopped dressing formal. My DH was a professional with a closet full of suits and we brought a dark suit ( of very good quality :D) for him and cocktail dresses for me.

There is no real formal left on HAL but they have the right to call it whatever they wish and their dress code should be honored, IMO.

Edited by sail7seas

DH and I always dressed in true formal on the ships for over 20 years. He always had tuxedo, appropriate formal shirts, cummerbuns and ties for each formal night. I always wore long dress with appropriate high heeled sandals/shoes and formal purse. Then HAL started describing formal as jacket and tie for gents. We continued with our formal wear but each cruise saw more showing up in blazer and grey trousers and the women in pants and sparkly tops. That is no 'real' definition of formal and thus, we stopped dressing formal. My DH was a professional with a closet full of suits and we brought a dark suit ;) ( of good quality :D) for him and cocktail dresses for me.

There is no real formal left on HAL but they have the right to call it whatever they wish and their dress code should be honored, IMO.

I'm beginning to think that your idea and my idea of a well dressed man are not that far off.:D

I'm beginning to think that your idea and my idea of a well dressed man are not that far off.:D

Your thinking is 'right on'. :) ;) My late DH loved fine clothing, well fitted, from high quality designers and he wore it well. I was always extremely proud when he left the house for his office or our cabin for dinner aboard a ship/hotel room for dinner out. :)

Your thinking is 'right on'. :) ;) My late DH loved fine clothing, well fitted, from high quality designers and he wore it well. I was always extremely proud when he left the house for his office or our cabin for dinner aboard a ship/hotel room for dinner out. :)

I have read many posts from you and when you speak of your beloved husband I can tell that he was a good and decent man on top of being a well dressed man.:) (your story about finally going on an Alaskan cruise together warmed my heart):)

Which cruise lines do you had personal knowledge that turned away passengers not dressed formally?

Personal none. But I know that Crystal and Cunard enforce their dress codes.

Although they don't have a formal night, Windstar enforces their no shorts after 6:00 pm rule and I have seen them refuse entry to the dining room for a man wearing shorts. If you are in the lounge and haven't changed for dinner yet they won't tell you to leave, but once you leave you can't get back in until you change.

Note to self:

You'd be turned away wearing jeans on any night on a number of lines, including Windstar and PG.

I have read many posts from you and when you speak of your beloved husband I can tell that he was a good and decent man on top of being a well dressed man.:) (your story about finally going on an Alaskan cruise together warmed my heart):)

What a lovely post. :o Thank you.

Originally Posted by pseudoware

Note to self:

Most cruise lines would turn you away in jeans on formal night.

On HAL, you can go to MDR for dinner in jeans on smart casual nights.

• 4 weeks later...

Gosh, I simply want to chime in on this topic. I recall the days when DH would order his tux to be picked up at the onboard shop. I would wear a floor length dress (gown). In the dining room on formal night, the ratio of men wearing a tux was just about 100%. Ladies in floor length dresses, just about 100%. These days, I see that the gents are down to 20% tux and ladies the same. For me, it's just sad to see that "formal night" has almost dissipated.

Happy sailing the high seas, everyone!

Gosh, I simply want to chime in on this topic. I recall the days when DH would order his tux to be picked up at the onboard shop. I would wear a floor length dress (gown). In the dining room on formal night, the ratio of men wearing a tux was just about 100%. Ladies in floor length dresses, just about 100%. These days, I see that the gents are down to 20% tux and ladies the same. For me, it's just sad to see that "formal night" has almost dissipated.

Happy sailing the high seas, everyone!

There are only a very few things that are guaranteed in this life, taxes, death and change. Sometimes change is :( and sometimes it's :D. For me this change is :D:D:D