Craft Beer on board

When I sailed on Liberty earlier this month, I went into the pub one evening to get a Coke, and at the end of the bar where I was standing, there was a display set up, a tower made up of different craft beers. I believe Sierra Nevada was one of them, and I know for sure there was a 312, it had a green label and I believe it was an IPA. I don't remember the others. There may have been one with Heffa on the label. I went back the next day to take a picture for my husband who wasn't traveling with me. He's a craft beer lover, and we'll be sailing on FOS in September. Of course, the display was gone, and it never re-appeared for the rest of the cruise.

I asked someone working there the next day, and they knew nothing about it.

Anyway, does anyone know what (if any) craft beers are available on board? I would hope that whatever they offered on Liberty will be available on Freedom.

It changes cruise to cruise and ship to ship. What's on FOS one week may not be there next week. On my last cruise the most exotic beer was Stella Artois. Not my fave but I was fine with that.

I was wondering if this was the case. Oh well, hopefully they'll be something he enjoys when we sail on Freedom in September.

There's an entire craft beer menu in the pub and it does not change from cruise to cruise. They've had the same menu for years now.

And they're out of a lot of it, one time they didn't have one single beer on the 'craft' menu or at least they didn't know where they were.

Ignore the menus. You can basically get any beer you want at any bar from what I was told and observed. They may have to go get it but they will. I had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Sam Adams Boston Lager at the pool bar for example.

When I sailed on Liberty earlier this month, I went into the pub one evening to get a Coke, and at the end of the bar where I was standing, there was a display set up, a tower made up of different craft beers. I believe Sierra Nevada was one of them, and I know for sure there was a 312, it had a green label and I believe it was an IPA. I don't remember the others. There may have been one with Heffa on the label. I went back the next day to take a picture for my husband who wasn't traveling with me. He's a craft beer lover, and we'll be sailing on FOS in September. Of course, the display was gone, and it never re-appeared for the rest of the cruise.

I asked someone working there the next day, and they knew nothing about it.

Anyway, does anyone know what (if any) craft beers are available on board? I would hope that whatever they offered on Liberty will be available on Freedom.

We love 312. Was this in the English pub down in the promenade?

These menus are courtesy of Gambee:

http://cruisewithgambee.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/DSC09622_zps660d2195.jpg

http://cruisewithgambee.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/DSC09622-2_zps4f020075.jpg

They do tend to stretch the definition of craft beer but we always find something. I've never experienced them being out of a particular beer on Freedom but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Have a great cruise.

http://cruisewithgambee.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/DSC09622-2_zps4f020075.jpg

They do tend to stretch the definition of craft beer but we always find something. I've never experienced them being out of a particular beer on Freedom but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Have a great cruise.

Thank you but do you know which ones are on tap?

Recent cruise of Brilliance had 'Old Speckled Hen' in pint bottles. Not sure where they picked them up. I enjoyed them for 2 days till I had bought their supply out. Just have to be a little careful on some 'craft' beers as they may have been there for a long time.

I was lucky the beers had not gone 'skunky'. Also on last Indy cruise had Old Speckled Hen in pint bottles.

I plan to look for cruises where they have been recently across the pond. :)

We love 312. Was this in the English pub down in the promenade?

Yes it was in the English pub. We also are fans of 312 (being from Chicago). This wasn't the traditional yellow label 312, it was an IPA with a green 312 label. I know they didn't have it on FOS last September. That's why the display on Liberty caught my attention. There were definitely beers there that weren't available last time we sailed.

312 is OK, but I love their summer ale.

I have to imagine the craft beer might be hit or miss on how long the beer has been on board. Can't imagine it turns over often. I don't see the cruising crowd as much of a craft beer crowd, but I could be wrong.

312 is OK, but I love their summer ale.

I have to imagine the craft beer might be hit or miss on how long the beer has been on board. Can't imagine it turns over often. I don't see the cruising crowd as much of a craft beer crowd, but I could be wrong.

I see lots of talk on CC about specialty beers, more than I expected to see. I'm into craft beers myself. The available selection that I seen on Gambees list, are more than what I expected for a cruse ship. Now I would add that International / imported beers do not often qualify as "Craft" beer, but still better than just having BMC on board. (BMC = Bud/Miller/Coors)

OT: I was really impressed with the Carnival Vista thread that has popped up recently that mentions that there will be a Full time Brew master on board, creating different brews on the ship, to serve on tap at different locations on the ship. Now that is a WOW.

dp

Edited by dpostman

We are sailing on Thursday, so I will give you all a run down on brews. I am not an IPA lover myself, more of an unfiltered gal, but the husband enjoys an IPA or two. Well, maybe more with the drink package and no worries of driving. YAHOO!!!

I should also add: I'm boarding Liberty for the Easter Cruise this Thursday April 2nd. I will probably not be writing a long and detailed review of our cruise. Many people with way better writing skills than I have already and will do this in the future.

But, you can rest assured, that as a Co-Host to a local friendly annual beer fest (10 years running), I will be taking pictures and notes of what beers are actually available and at what bars throughout the ship. I'll probably not be making individual reviews of any of the beers since those can be found on many websites already.

I'll also be taking notes regarding different drinks and my thoughts on which bars/bartender makes the better ones :D

dp

We are sailing on Thursday, so I will give you all a run down on brews. I am not an IPA lover myself, more of an unfiltered gal, but the husband enjoys an IPA or two. Well, maybe more with the drink package and no worries of driving. YAHOO!!!

Darn, you beat me to it :p

Is that on Liberty? if so, Great! I'll see you both at the pub. I'll probably have my Tilley hat on my head and an IPA in my hand.

dp

Edited by dpostman

Hi All,

I sailed on the Navigator out of Galveston this past February and recall there being a fairly limited supply of "craft" beer. I didn't go thirsty, that's for sure! The three I remember drinking the most were Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Red Hook Long Hammer IPA, and Le Fin Du Monde out of Canada. I'm sure they had Sam Adams as well.

None were on tap. however.

Cheers!

Gusman

I should also add: I'm boarding Liberty for the Easter Cruise this Thursday April 2nd. I will probably not be writing a long and detailed review of our cruise. Many people with way better writing skills than I have already and will do this in the future.

But, you can rest assured, that as a Co-Host to a local friendly annual beer fest (10 years running), I will be taking pictures and notes of what beers are actually available and at what bars throughout the ship. I'll probably not be making individual reviews of any of the beers since those can be found on many websites already.

I'll also be taking notes regarding different drinks and my thoughts on which bars/bartender makes the better ones :D

dp

Look forward to your review! Maybe because it's an Easter week cruise, they'll have more of a selection. Cheers!

Look forward to your review! Maybe because it's an Easter week cruise, they'll have more of a selection. Cheers!

That sure would be nice. As long as they don't expect me to make any sacrifices and abstain from meat and drinking for the duration of the cruise.:eek:

dp

Thank you for posting the menus. Some of the beers have an asterisk next to them and the bottom of the page says *This item is excluded from all packages. On an upcoming cruise I have the ultimate drink package and know if mixed drinks or wine go over $12 I can pay the difference. Does it work the same way with beer that that have the asterisk next to them? Do I pay the difference from what a bud/miller/coors cost? I imagine not but thought I would throw it out there for comment. Thank you.

@thrasht

As far as I know, all beers were included in the Premium & Ultimate packages except for 2.

The Chimay (750ml) and The Fosters Oil Can, and I've even seen a few posts that said the Fosters was included so...

I do believe that if the Beer was not included, you had to pay the full price, not just the difference.

As for the select package, I think it includes a more limited selection of beer but I can't say where the cut off is, or how it is determined.

dp

Edited by dpostman