Mariner Japan Cruise - March 22-30 Review

I can't thank you enough for sharing your honest opinion of your cruise experience. We cruise often with friends and have been discussing places we would like to go. Based on what I have read, not just from you, but from others who have been there, we will scratch this particular trip off of our to do lists.

Please continue. And don't waste your time responding to those who want to argue with you. Ignore them. You don't have to defend yourself.

I don't post often, but this incessant need to correct someone's feeling/opinion or observation about a cruise they were on is annoying. She was there not you. Reviews are about someone's personal perspective of their OWN experience.

It is possible (however unlikely) that all 3000 Chinese on the ship were rude. How do you know they weren't? Whether it was 1% or 100% this is how SHE felt .... IMHO she wasn't looking to disparage anyone or offend anyone she was just offering HER experience hoping it would help others...

Ditto and thank you for your review. Please don't feel the need to defend yourself.

I've been following along and really appreciate the review. It is not something I would cope with, and I wouldn't consider it a "traveling experience", it sounds downright awful. A cruise is a pretty confined space.

Citizens of any country can and do behave badly when traveling, but right now it is such an issue with Chinese tourists as a group that their own government is taking steps to crackdown on their unruly behavior.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/04/08/china-blacklist-uncivilized-tourists/25419645/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2015/01/16/beijing-is-embarrassed-about-unruly-chinese-tourists-and-plans-to-publicly-shame-them/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/11519917/China-to-penalise-badly-behaved-tourists.html

http://www.news.com.au/travel/world-travel/chinese-authorities-seek-to-protect-countrys-image-by-cracking-down-of-poorly-behaved-tourists/story-e6frfqai-1227190785114

... etc

I'm really sorry your trip was ruined. I do think your review is really helpful to others who may have been considering a similar itinerary.

I can't thank you enough for sharing your honest opinion of your cruise experience. We cruise often with friends and have been discussing places we would like to go. Based on what I have read, not just from you, but from others who have been there, we will scratch this particular trip off of our to do lists.

Please continue. And don't waste your time responding to those who want to argue with you. Ignore them. You don't have to defend yourself.

I wondered how people get chosen for the iceshow. Now I know. Would have been fun for your boys.

re: Kobe - that is insane! Your poor boys.

Can I ask, if you had been able to disembark in a civilized manner, what was your plan for this port?

Thank you to all. The reason I wrote this review is precisely that -- to let others know our experience so they can make educated, informed choices about whether or not to cruise on these sailings. Had I found any information prior, I could've rethought our trip or better prepared myself and my family.

aussielozzie18 -- we had planned to just check out the city and get some dinner. And look for a Daiso (more on that tomorrow!)

Just off the legend March 20th sailing one thing Orlando the activities guy said while talking about the move to the Pacific was that very shortly the main language and everything about the ship will be in Chinese just a heads up

Yes ran the trivia,bingo, karaoke dance classes on pool deck, so yes. Member of entertainment staff

Were you on Mariner or Legend, when you met Orlando, who was part of the entertainment staff?

Those stores are awesome. I hope Daiso becomes the turning point of your rough times. I wait with bated breath.

Right??? I LOVE THEM.

Also, I forgot to respond to your other post. I am definitely interested in hearing your recommendations for Japan. We are seriously considering returning for Christmas. We are throwing around the idea of Tokyo Disney/other places in Japan or a B2B on Mariner (if Joel is there and I can confirm that there will not be the same demographic on the Malaysia/Thailand itineraries). We are DVC owners, but the cash value of our points isn't good for Tokyo Disney. I've heard that it is simply magical, though. Especially Disney Sea. I really like the 12/24 and 12/29 itineraries on MOS, but we would miss Japan.

Any thoughts on that dilemma or knowledge about those sailings?

Dear Lalenalei,

Although I was one of the people pointing out cultural differences, after reading all your reviews that contained so many of your positive experiences as well as the negative ones, I think I too would have felt the same kind and amount of discomfort if I were subject day after day to some of the mob-like situations your describe. I guess I was reacting to your initial post; but now I see the full context. I appreciate your continuing review and have learned a lot from what you have posted. Thank you for your efforts as well as your perseverance to continue writing about your travels in spite of the criticisms.

Edited by emileg

Have really enjoyed [if that could be the right word at times ] your review and it has made me reconsider any cruise where I might have a similar experience with the Chinese culture.

I could possible handle it but I am sure my husband could not.

So thanks again for letting us know of your experiences both good and bad.

Sorry this is taking so long. Here is a video of the sports deck. DS is playing miniature golf and the inline skating is behind it on the right (can't see it, really). But in the video you can see the basketball court and rock climbing wall.

th_IMG_4464_zps0j1nxlsl.mp4

Lalenalei -

Thank you for posting your thoughtful review and comments. Our first cruise, celebrating a special anniversary, was nearly 20 years ago. We cruised SE Alaska with Royal Caribbean. 1/3 of the passengers were with a Chinese tour group. I wasn't certain I ever wanted to cruise again.

Fast forward - we've booked a 2017 Asia cruise with Royal's sister line, Celebrity. We selected the cruise based on itinerary, primarily SE Asia RT out of Singapore. I will admit your comments and our previous experience with the large Chinese tour group have us rethinking our Asia booking choice.

We've both been to Asia before, for business and for personal travel. We live in a diverse community and understand many of the cultural differences and practices in various Asian countries.

I am hoping that Royal Caribbean and its sister company Celebrity will work toward making the regional Asian cruise experience a positive one for all passengers. There are many from the U.S. who would like to explore Asia via a cruise ship.

Having done this cruise on Voyager I understand the circumstances. We never felt unsafe but definitely uncomfortable a few times. We did not realise it was school holidays in China so there were heaps of children on board. As there were only about 200 non Chinese on board we tended to use the solarium area to congregate and I must say the staff were very good about keeping children out of the area and pool. The cruise was a different experience but we enjoyed all the ports.

Day 6

Another day in Kobe! There were only two excursions offered, so we took the one that didn’t have the brewery tour. That’s one thing about this sailing. Perhaps I’m used to DCL, where we have many options. Sometimes there are more than two dozen. On this cruise, there were two at each port. That’s it. Disembarking is easier today, because we are on an RCI tour. Today’s guide is not as good as the one in Tokyo, but overall I liked this tour better.

We start at Shi tennoji Temple, which is the oldest Buddhist temple in Japan. The grounds are immaculate. The pebbles around the structures are manicured like a Zen garden. We walked around, then climbed the five story pagoda. Super cool! It has been restored, but it is still very culturally sound. We also visited the temple and main hall.

Then we drove to the Osaka Castle. Wowza. That place was impressive. I especially liked the architecture of the site. The walls with gigantic stones inspire you to consider how they moved such heavy stones into place. The walls themselves are also quite high. There is a lot of educational material posted along the walk to the main structure, as well as a little marketplace in front of the main entrance. A man dressed as a warrior will pose for photos with you. There are helmets you may put on for your picture. It’s all free. They refuse any money. He has a helper to take the photo so you can all be in it. So nice!

At the Castle, you take an elevator up a few floors, then have to walk up a few more. There are artifacts and history to view on each level. The top offers a 360 degree view of the city and a little shop to buy souvenirs.

Then it’s back on the bus and back to the ship. We considered abandoning the tour and going to check out Osaka, but the guide suggested that we go back on the bus, as it was far and there wasn’t much time before all aboard at 3:30. Of all the things on this cruise, we just wish we had more time in the ports. When we get to the port, I decide to go solo on the portliner into Sannomiya, which is where the D+ from Japan suggested I go to find a Daiso!

Okay so I’m not a big shopper. I like getting new stuff, but I don’t like going to malls or spending a lot of time shopping. I like to just get in and out as fast as possible. One of my clients told me that I needed to go to a Daiso. She tried to explain it to me, but had a hard time. I was like, “What’s so hard about describing what’s in a Daiso?” She’s like, “EVERYTHING.” And she was right!

Taking the portliner is super easy. Put in money, a ticket comes out, you put your ticket in the slot at the gate, go through the turnstile (which has no bar across it haha), and the ticket spews out on the other side. There are two trains. The Sannomiya station is the second stop from the port. I get off and look for a 7-11 to get money. Mission accomplished, I ask the clerk where to find a Daiso. She tells me the general direction. The city is crowded, but the personal space thing isn’t even in play as far as I’m concerned. I don’t feel like people are too close at all. Long story short, I find a Daiso in a department store type building within a giant mall (which oddly spans blocks – like real street blocks!) My client had told me that Daiso is the dollar store. Everything for $1. But it’s not the typical crap we have in American dollar stores. It’s good stuff. I wasn’t even prepared for what I found. The place is huge and there is everything from craft to kitchen to bath to food to office to decorative to toys to….whatever! And no kidding, everything is 108 yen! OMG. I’m a little pressured, because at this point I only have 20 minutes to then have 30 minutes to get back. So I go through the aisles like that grocery store game show, throwing stuff in a basket, but only enough that I can carry back to the ship. I’m also hindered by the fact that I don’t know what many of the items are (especially food), so I don’t want to buy too much. I pledge to go to another Daiso in Beppu.

Getting back to the ship was also easy (although I almost got on the train in the wrong direction haha). We relax for a bit, then go to trivia. It’s just me, the boys, and the two friends we’ve met on the ship. Instead of “Who In The World Am I” trivia, she asks if we’d like to do an easier one….like geography. Hahaha. I get my butt kicked. One DS says he’s going to play basketball. I hang out and chat. Then we all decide to go ice skating!

I have to go to the CL and ask Joel to cancel our tour in Beppu. We felt like the tours wasted too much valuable time waiting around for people who show up way after the stated meeting time. Like half an hour or more. Joel is amazing as always, and takes care of it. DH rounds up the boys and we go down. One of the guys we met is a great skater. Basketball DS shows up with a very nice 16-year-old kid that he met on the court. We have a great time. He explains that he is here with his mom, whose work group is on an incentive trip. We invite him to eat dinner in our room. We order room service, and his mom ends up joining us. We talk for hours. They stay in our room until 12:30!

Shi tennoji

IMG_4414_zpszczo8rxu.jpg

IMG_4288-2_zpsylwlbych.jpg

IMG_4298-2_zpsze0rtkpp.jpg

I think it is very good that you post your experience. That way people can have some idea of the different ambiance and clientele Asian cruises have, and maybe adjust their expectations. That way it would maybe not be such a disaster, since you'd know what to expect. I mean; some people (=not particularly just American, but just some people) expect all Royal's cruises to be similar, to be like "all American", since it is an American company. But it differs a lot due to the clients.

We've been to cruises from Fort Lauderdale, Rome and Southampton and all of them have been different, since the largest group of passengers usually come from the country the ship is sailing from (ie. American, Italian or British in our case). For us they are all foreigners with strange and different habits - but actually WE are the foreigners with our strange and different habits. I easily can feel the difference of the atmosphere - it changes with the people. I will not go into details, because I feel doing that will insult some nations, but you get the point.

We have been debating taking a cruise from Singapore, but that might still be different to this cruise although the ship would be the same.

I've been to China on business several times, as my employer has a factory in Shenzhen. So I've seen a lot of different situations. Chinese can be a "herd or barbarians" at their worst but individual persons are a different story. That applies to all nations.

Thanks for your review. I am following.

I have done several Mariner cruise in Asia. If you go expecting it to be the usual "all American" cookie cutter experience, yes, you will be disappointed and maybe a bit shocked. When the cruise lines move these ships to China, they are marketing to the Chinese consumer. Western patronage is secondary. Of course everything is geared and targeted to their primary consumer.

Me? I love Mariner and my cruises have been some of the BEST I have been on. Just stand back, go with the flow or push right back

Whilst this cruise is not something I would have wanted to experience - and it will make me reassess cruising from CHINA - I am a little alarmed at the people on here who are saying it has made them reconsider any Far East Sailing. It reminds me of those who post about how people do things in EUROPE without acknowledging (or maybe even realising) that Europe is a vast continent made up of many countries with very different customs and languages - try standing in line for a bus in England compare with, say, Italy or Spain;)

I did a South East Asia cruise from Singapore on Celebrity Century in February this year (calling in Phuket, Myanmar and 3 Malaysian ports). It is one of the best cruises I've ever taken, had a wide demographic onboard and we experienced nothing like the OP is describing.

Please do not write off cruising in the Far East based on this particular sailing.

I think it is very good that you post your experience. That way people can have some idea of the different ambiance and clientele Asian cruises have, and maybe adjust their expectations. That way it would maybe not be such a disaster, since you'd know what to expect. I mean; some people (=not particularly just American, but just some people) expect all Royal's cruises to be similar, to be like "all American", since it is an American company. But it differs a lot due to the clients.

We've been to cruises from Fort Lauderdale, Rome and Southampton and all of them have been different, since the largest group of passengers usually come from the country the ship is sailing from (ie. American, Italian or British in our case). For us they are all foreigners with strange and different habits - but actually WE are the foreigners with our strange and different habits. I easily can feel the difference of the atmosphere - it changes with the people. I will not go into details, because I feel doing that will insult some nations, but you get the point.

We have been debating taking a cruise from Singapore, but that might still be different to this cruise although the ship would be the same.

I've been to China on business several times, as my employer has a factory in Shenzhen. So I've seen a lot of different situations. Chinese can be a "herd or barbarians" at their worst but individual persons are a different story. That applies to all nations.

Thanks for your review. I am following.

Well said.

Thank you to OP. I appreciate your taking the time to relate your personal experience.

I go on vacation to relax and experience something new and different at the same time. I understand that "acceptable behaviors" vary throughout the world. I also don't want to spend my vacation stressed and unhappy, so your review has given me a peek at situations which would admittedly lower my enjoyment factor.

Thanks again for all your work on writing this with all the details.

I still want to do a cruise out of China ... and now I am more prepared what to expect which I appreciate! :)

As you point out, people will still want to cruise out of China, and now have some knowledge of what this OP experienced. The review is good to have and read for everyone.

Whilst this cruise is not something I would have wanted to experience - and it will make me reassess cruising from CHINA - I am a little alarmed at the people on here who are saying it has made them reconsider any Far East Sailing. It reminds me of those who post about how people do things in EUROPE without acknowledging (or maybe even realising) that Europe is a vast continent made up of many countries with very different customs and languages - try standing in line for a bus in England compare with, say, Italy or Spain;)

I did a South East Asia cruise from Singapore on Celebrity Century in February this year (calling in Phuket, Myanmar and 3 Malaysian ports). It is one of the best cruises I've ever taken, had a wide demographic onboard and we experienced nothing like the OP is describing.

Please do not write off cruising in the Far East based on this particular sailing.

Thank you!! I was getting really bothered by this too (since I am planning on a cruise out of Singapore!). This was a cruise out of China with 3000+ Chinese pax. It does not apply to all of Asia!

Thank you!! I was getting really bothered by this too (since I am planning on a cruise out of Singapore!). This was a cruise out of China with 3000+ Chinese pax. It does not apply to all of Asia!

Yes! I absolutely agree. In fact, I've already contacted Joel to ask about the RT sailings out of Singapore. The 3/7 group did mention some of the same experiences, but if I recall correctly, it was a repo to Shanghai, so that may also change the dynamic. We really did enjoy the ship and the crew and Japan. I would love to visit Malaysia and Thailand. I'll let you know what he says.