Noordam cabin 4183, you may want to reconsider

cruz chic

Just curious -- Was Ron Bonbital (I'm sure I royally screwed up the spelling of his last name) the HD on your cruise?

Interesting that you asked this question! The answer is Yes!

What was your experience when he was HD?

Is he an issue?

We found Mr Bontenbal a little standoffish, but over lunch at the Mariner party he was a very good host. Lots of stories, quite gracious about the whole thing.

He is all-business, doesn't waste time and seems to run a tight ship.

In my humble, but HAL experienced, opinion, he is not guest-friendly. Nothing wrong with running a "tight ship". But, when ship management issues detract from the proper total enjoyment of a cruise(s), then the philosophy of running a "tight ship" needs to be properly balanced with guest issues.

The issues that this guest had on my two Noordam cruises were not properly addressed!

And, Mr. Orlando Ashford has been so informed.

It is interesting that he chose to host a table at your Mariner Luncheon. On neither of my Janurary cruises did he do so and I was seated at a table that some officer was expected to appear. Captain Jan Kan did host a table, however.

Interesting that you asked this question! The answer is Yes!

What was your experience when he was HD?

Is he an issue?

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that he was an "issue", but if the front desk personnel are under his watch, then I'd say that he's not as accommodating as other HDs (the few that I've experienced). For example, on my most recent cruise (where he was the HD) I had booked a standard balcony cabin on the stern where the balcony is a bit deeper than usual. On other cruises where I've had a bigger than normal balcony I've had little to no problem requesting and getting a single lounge chair. In fact, this time I was kind of expecting that there might be one already there based on passenger pictures that I'd seen of other stern balconies.

Not to be. My request for a lounge chair was flatly denied by the front desk. They gave me the "if we do it for one person we have to do it for everyone and then there wouldn't be enough for the Lido" line. Never mind that there are several lounge chairs located on the sports deck that pretty much go unused (on the open deck -- not in the Retreat) and wouldn't be missed by anyone.

I'm not saying that my cruise was ruined because my request was denied, but I thought that not letting go of one little lounge chair was a bit stingy. And before anybody accuses me of feeling entitled because of my request, I repeat that other stern balconies on other ships came already equipped with the lounge chairs.

Lore, When they sanded and varnished our verandah railings on 2 of our cruises we received basically the same notices as you. When they came to do the railings though they did not come through the stateroom. They came through via the verandahs only after opening the connecting dividers.

Joanie

We were on Ruby Princess this Jan and our balcony railing needed to be varnished. We were sent a letter asking if they could do it. They wanted us to close our curtains during the time they were there. If we did not want them to varnish our railing they ask us to call the front desk to tell them no varnishing. We had them varnish it. It took about 20 minutes. But I like that we were given the option of saying no.

In my humble, but HAL experienced, opinion, he is not guest-friendly. Nothing wrong with running a "tight ship". But, when ship management issues detract from the proper total enjoyment of a cruise(s), then the philosophy of running a "tight ship" needs to be properly balanced with guest issues.

The issues that this guest had on my two Noordam cruises were not properly addressed!

And, Mr. Orlando Ashford has been so informed.

It is interesting that he chose to host a table at your Mariner Luncheon. On neither of my Janurary cruises did he do so and I was seated at a table that some officer was expected to appear. Captain Jan Kan did host a table, however.

I would agree that he is not, in general, guest-friendly.

Our cruise with him as HD was a 34 day one and he did a good job of hosting the high-Mariner table at the Mariner lunch.

He did not, however, attend any of the events, such as the Cook-off, which the Captain did attend as a judge.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that he was an "issue", but if the front desk personnel are under his watch, then I'd say that he's not as accommodating as other HDs (the few that I've experienced). For example, on my most recent cruise (where he was the HD) I had booked a standard balcony cabin on the stern where the balcony is a bit deeper than usual. On other cruises where I've had a bigger than normal balcony I've had little to no problem requesting and getting a single lounge chair. In fact, this time I was kind of expecting that there might be one already there based on passenger pictures that I'd seen of other stern balconies.

Not to be. My request for a lounge chair was flatly denied by the front desk. They gave me the "if we do it for one person we have to do it for everyone and then there wouldn't be enough for the Lido" line. Never mind that there are several lounge chairs located on the sports deck that pretty much go unused (on the open deck -- not in the Retreat) and wouldn't be missed by anyone.

I'm not saying that my cruise was ruined because my request was denied, but I thought that not letting go of one little lounge chair was a bit stingy. And before anybody accuses me of feeling entitled because of my request, I repeat that other stern balconies on other ships came already equipped with the lounge chairs.

The Front Desk people report directly to their supervisors and the Guest Relations Manager.

Different HDs do things differently. They do have different personalities.

This is a problem with HAL, in my experience: the inconsistency from ship to ship in many, many respects.

Concerning lounge chairs: the cabins stewards or their supervisors are always very willing to please. I start there, myself.

The Front Desk people report directly to their supervisors and the Guest Relations Manager.

Different HDs do things differently. They do have different personalities.

This is a problem with HAL, in my experience: the inconsistency from ship to ship in many, many respects.

Concerning lounge chairs: the cabins stewards or their supervisors are always very willing to please. I start there, myself.

I used to start there, but the past few times the cabin stewards referred me to the front desk.

On one cruise on VOLENDAM in 001.... there were several issues that required attention. I knew this so I mentioned to Captain Bos, "Do you want some time on the balcony to get some work done?" He did. Next day, six fellows were there to start work at 8am. The false deckhead in the balcony had to be taken down. The space was rather 'gungy'. Had to be scrubbed and then some paint primed and then later a couple of coats of gloss. The deckhead had to he replaced and then repainted as well. It too two days. Smell? No me. I love smell of wet paint. ;)

What I am trying to show.... there is so much on a ship to clean, paint and varnish. This kind of work cannot be done during any drydock period. Painting the bottom of the hull... yes. Balconies? Never. It can only be done on days... usually when the ship in port and for the most of passengers are ashore.

It is a nuisance for everyone for sure, but to take a balcony out of service would mean that the cabin cannot be sold for the duration of the cruise. One cabin at a time, on each cruise, 50 weeks a year.... means that it take..... 1,000 cabins... at least 200 YEARS!!!! The first time a pax.... "The railing on the balcony needs varnish." "That carpet needs replaces." "That balcony needs painting."

It goes on and on. Demanding the President do something about this problem... he can't do anything. It is a necessary activity. Best think you can do.... smile and take that comp bottle of wine! For one thing that sure.... on any ship does not do the maintenance or painting of cleaning.... must be a damn dirty ship!!!!!!!

End of rant.

Stephen

P1010162.jpg.cf2a0317af03000f3b27d7b82e2cfae8.jpg

P1010079.jpg.5d368b733f66271fe62014c6cc8747bf.jpg

P1010078.jpg.b9b11cb8741bba626f90776b1a199213.jpg

I do not expect to live in a construction zone when I have paid a small fortune for my vacation. I've gone through this. That ship is going into dry dock in a few days. They should do it then. A hotel would not book you into a room that they are going to traipse through and work on. It was deplorable when this happened to me a little while ago, not only the noise, dirt, dust and grime, but the fumes of paint thinner and varnish, and the work crew leaving my door propped open all day so they could come and go easily. No sympathy from me for the cruise line, the captain or anyone else except the passenger.

On one cruise on VOLENDAM in 001.... there were several issues that required attention. I knew this so I mentioned to Captain Bos, "Do you want some time on the balcony to get some work done?" He did. Next day, six fellows were there to start work at 8am. The false deckhead in the balcony had to be taken down. The space was rather 'gungy'. Had to be scrubbed and then some paint primed and then later a couple of coats of gloss. The deckhead had to he replaced and then repainted as well. It too two days. Smell? No me. I love smell of wet paint. ;)

What I am trying to show.... there is so much on a ship to clean, paint and varnish. This kind of work cannot be done during any drydock period. Painting the bottom of the hull... yes. Balconies? Never. It can only be done on days... usually when the ship in port and for the most of passengers are ashore.

It is a nuisance for everyone for sure, but to take a balcony out of service would mean that the cabin cannot be sold for the duration of the cruise. One cabin at a time, on each cruise, 50 weeks a year.... means that it take..... 1,000 cabins... at least 200 YEARS!!!! The first time a pax.... "The railing on the balcony needs varnish." "That carpet needs replaces." "That balcony needs painting."

It goes on and on. Demanding the President do something about this problem... he can't do anything. It is a necessary activity. Best think you can do.... smile and take that comp bottle of wine! For one thing that sure.... on any ship does not do the maintenance or painting of cleaning.... must be a damn dirty ship!!!!!!!

End of rant.

Stephen

Thanks, Stephen.

Excellent explanation. Very reasonable, clear and to the point.

Appreciate it that you took the time to put this issue in perspective.

I do not expect to live in a construction zone when I have paid a small fortune for my vacation. I've gone through this. That ship is going into dry dock in a few days. They should do it then. A hotel would not book you into a room that they are going to traipse through and work on. It was deplorable when this happened to me a little while ago, not only the noise, dirt, dust and grime, but the fumes of paint thinner and varnish, and the work crew leaving my door propped open all day so they could come and go easily. No sympathy from me for the cruise line, the captain or anyone else except the passenger.

Well, if you can come up with a better way to do ship's maintenance and cleaning in only a few days every once year.... you should be the CEO of... not HAL... you should be the Chairman of Carnival Corporation and you would earn at least $10 million a year!

I am sorry that you are experiencing this. When I was aboard the Noordam from January 5th to the 26th, while I enjoyed my cruise, I was really disappointed in what I felt were ship management issues in some areas. I expressed my feelings to Mr. Ashford upon my return.

I would request to speak with the Guest Relations Manager. I should have done so when I was aboard and did not do so. A different Master is at the helm since January, but I wonder if the same Hotel Director is still there and if he is not the problem.

I was aboard the Carnival Miracle on the cruise prior to when she went into drydock at Freeport and the cruise was great with no passenger problems due to the drydock (other than they ran out of the wines in my package, but I received even better quality substitutes)!

What is wrong with HAL these days!!

Thank you. I thought I was the only one noticing some issues on that cruise. In the morning, crew started hitting metal railings right outside my cabin (I had an obstructed oceanview on deck 4) for repairs to the lifeboat mechanisms. 3 or 4 time, without any warning. I understand repairs need to happen, but why not do these loud things in the afternoon or at least inform guests in the area. I was awakened rudely by the metal hitting at least 3 times.

While I enjoyed my cruise and most of the staff, it was very clear there were quite some changes behind the scenes and among the officers/supervisors.

Edited by headhunterke

Have you never spent a day or few in a hotel in a city.... Manhattan, London, Antwerp, Amsterdam? Have you every paid good money for a room at a hotel and there in the middle of the afternoon.... ROAD WORKS! BUILDING WORK! AMBULANCE! TAXI! Ship (shi*) happens!

That three or four bangs of hammer on might be the sound of someone repairing of your lifeboat. I love the sound of that! It might even be a crew boat drill for our safety. I love that sound too!

That is completely unreasonable. Doesn't matter how you explain it but I bet hal loves folks that think it is reasonable.

Salt water being what it is, and passengers being who they are, ship maintenance is continuous. I wouldn't want to sail on a ship that was only worked on during drydock.

This is the point.

Moreover, if cruise lines were to take cabins from the inventory for completing repairs while sailing, our fares would rise to accommodate the losses of having empty cabins.

Say what you will, but not many would be happy with that. Maybe Seaborn, Regent and other really high-end lines do that, but it is not the solution for a line like HAL.

As evidenced by the posts on this thread, HAL does need to have better planning, supervision and attitude towards repairs in pax areas.

Is anyone at all in charge of how these repairs are arranged, supervised and completed?

This is the point.

Moreover, if cruise lines were to take cabins from the inventory for completing repairs while sailing, our fares would rise to accommodate the losses of having empty cabins.

Say what you will, but not many would be happy with that. Maybe Seaborn, Regent and other really high-end lines do that, but it is not the solution for a line like HAL.

As evidenced by the posts on this thread, HAL does need to have better planning, supervision and attitude towards repairs in pax areas.

Is anyone at all in charge of how these repairs are arranged, supervised and completed?

Yes. The senior on board are responsible for the planning on board from Captain, Chief Officer, Chief Engineer, Hotel Manager from the way through.

The work is planned, arranged, supervise and completed in as possible quickly as possible. There is no mess.... the works is done and the spaces left in immaculate condition.

Forget Seabourn etc... the work goes on the same as in every other ship.

I can tell you something what does go on Seabourn a while back.... make a decision if you think they did things better than HAL. Read on.

Ten years ago HAL took over the SEABOURN SUN. HAL put the ship into dock and did a major refit. She came out as PRINSENDAM. On the maiden voyage, one passenger, who was a regular from Seabourn, She complained that the door on her balcony was faulty. The glass panels in the door had allowed for moisture to cloud the panels. She complained and said, "Typical HAL, they have done nothing about it." For the rest of the maiden voyage she complained. "Whenever they had this problem, Seabound would fix it the same day." Every day Chief Officer, now Captain Andre van Schoonhoven, had to explain that he could not repair the door until spares could get on board. She said, "Not good enough!" Well the ten day voyage completed in Southampton. The replacement panels arrived that day! The next voyage.... first day the Chief Officer had the new door fitted. We know all this because there were quite of passengers including the 'OP'. She was happy that the door was fixed, but yet continued that they should have fixed the problem immediately... as in old Seabourn days. On day I went to a Norwegian girl who was ex Seaboun and switched over to HAL. I asked about the problem about the 'cloudy' doors. She knew all about it and what they did. It was easy. In Seaboun they simply switched doors around from one balcony to another. The problem was never 'fixed'.... it was on-going. That is what 'high end' ships like Seabourn did. You can guarantee that it does no go on today... because HAL runs Seabourn!

All high end ships are painted and varnished exactly the way as the others. Passengers are told that the work has to be done and it is minimal fuss about the work.

On one other voyage .... just starting off from New York a passenger say that a paint roller must have caused a splodge of white paint right into the top corner of the glass of the window.... right next to the end of the bar in the Oceaan Bar. Unsightly. Next day on transatlantic... one passenger complained that the paint splash was still the same day. Every day she made the same complaint. '"he work on HAL is sloppy!" The same passenger then went 'on line' on another site... not CC... but similar. Months and months later she was still complaining about the lack of the work on HAL. Finally, I spoke to a friend who was on the ship at the time of this 'paint' incident. The captain made just one comment back, "How the heck does a crew member get over the side of the ship in mid North Atlantic and clean it off the window?"

Next time you feel something is 'wrong' you should write a letter to the Captain or Hotel Manager and tell front desk that you want a response in written.

I step into this thread with no small amount of trepidation, for two reasons:

Firstly, Topsham/Stephen is infinitely more qualified to speak on this subject than I (or most others here) will ever be. Any who ignore the wisdom of his experience do so at their own peril.

Secondly, despite all that, I doubt that anyone's mind is going to be changed one way or the other.

Nonetheless, I feel compelled to chip in. So here goes.

Any comparison to a hotel is irrelevant, and based on a false equivalency. A hotel on land is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a cruise ship. A ship is an enormous - and enormously complex - machine; one that requires a nigh-incomprehensible amount of maintenance and upkeep just to fulfill its most basic function of providing a relatively safe place to be while traveling (all alone) in the middle of a very inhospitable and potentially deadly place.

A hotel on land is also not subject to a constant onslaught of one of the most corrosive substances on Earth - seawater. A ship's crew fight a never-ending battle to keep their vessel maintained and operable in the midst of an element that is actively trying to destroy it. While paint and varnish may seem fairly insignificant to the average passenger, they are in fact the first line of defense in that battle. If the frontier is lost, the heartland won't be far behind.

Finally, anything a hotel needs is only as far away as the nearest supermarket, hardware store, or lumberyard, and professionals with the skill to perform needed work are practically jumping out of the phone book (or these days, the internet). Ships have no such luxury. At sea, all you've got is what you've got. Space is finite, as is skill. Ships' carpenters and engineers can pull off some amazing repairs and other work while underway, but there's still only so much they can do, and so much to do it with.

Ports of call are not necessarily helpful, either. It may be impractical or impossible to acquire provisions and materials or have work done; this could be due to local laws, availability, pricing, lack of talent or facilities, etc.

Ultimately, cruising (like any of life's other pursuits) is a balance of compromises. The benefit is the freedom, adventure, and romance of being out to sea with like-minded folks. The drawback is that at some point we will have to subordinate our own activities and desires to the necessary functions of maintenance that can be done, or the inconvenience of maintenance that, for whatever reason, cannot be done. We can't have one without the other.

And before anyone else repeats it, "But I paid good money" carries no weight with me. What was paid for was the privilege of sailing as a passenger on a ship. Like most privileges, it carries with it certain liabilities; not least of which is understanding that the needs of the ship (and the crew, without which the ship is useless) must necessarily come first. It's all part of what that good money was paid for.

Yes. The senior on board are responsible for the planning on board from Captain, Chief Officer, Chief Engineer, Hotel Manager from the way through.

The work is planned, arranged, supervise and completed in as possible quickly as possible. There is no mess.... the works is done and the spaces left in immaculate condition.

Forget Seabourn etc... the work goes on the same as in every other ship.

I can tell you something what does go on Seabourn a while back.... make a decision if you think they did things better than HAL. Read on.

Ten years ago HAL took over the SEABOURN SUN. HAL put the ship into dock and did a major refit. She came out as PRINSENDAM. On the maiden voyage, one passenger, who was a regular from Seabourn, She complained that the door on her balcony was faulty. The glass panels in the door had allowed for moisture to cloud the panels. She complained and said, "Typical HAL, they have done nothing about it." For the rest of the maiden voyage she complained. "Whenever they had this problem, Seabound would fix it the same day." Every day Chief Officer, now Captain Andre van Schoonhoven, had to explain that he could not repair the door until spares could get on board. She said, "Not good enough!" Well the ten day voyage completed in Southampton. The replacement panels arrived that day! The next voyage.... first day the Chief Officer had the new door fitted. We know all this because there were quite of passengers including the 'OP'. She was happy that the door was fixed, but yet continued that they should have fixed the problem immediately... as in old Seabourn days. On day I went to a Norwegian girl who was ex Seaboun and switched over to HAL. I asked about the problem about the 'cloudy' doors. She knew all about it and what they did. It was easy. In Seaboun they simply switched doors around from one balcony to another. The problem was never 'fixed'.... it was on-going. That is what 'high end' ships like Seabourn did. You can guarantee that it does no go on today... because HAL runs Seabourn!

All high end ships are painted and varnished exactly the way as the others. Passengers are told that the work has to be done and it is minimal fuss about the work.

On one other voyage .... just starting off from New York a passenger say that a paint roller must have caused a splodge of white paint right into the top corner of the glass of the window.... right next to the end of the bar in the Oceaan Bar. Unsightly. Next day on transatlantic... one passenger complained that the paint splash was still the same day. Every day she made the same complaint. '"he work on HAL is sloppy!" The same passenger then went 'on line' on another site... not CC... but similar. Months and months later she was still complaining about the lack of the work on HAL. Finally, I spoke to a friend who was on the ship at the time of this 'paint' incident. The captain made just one comment back, "How the heck does a crew member get over the side of the ship in mid North Atlantic and clean it off the window?"

Next time you feel something is 'wrong' you should write a letter to the Captain or Hotel Manager and tell front desk that you want a response in written.

Thanks, again, Stephen, for your expert views. I agree with you, even though you may not realize it.