Noordam cabin 4183, you may want to reconsider

cruz chic

My room remains acceptable tonight. I will be writing Seattle when I get home. Even though I declined for them to come into my room to sand and varnish my balcony, they did it while I was ashore. Shady. I'm not ready to flush hal down the drain because I still do like them the best but this certainly hasn't been a stellar cruise. That said, my cabin stewards have been great. Most of the MDR staff are good too. The cabana guys have been very good as well. I appreciate the feedback. Thx.

I'm so sorry you are having these issues. You shouldn't have inconvenience and stress on your vacation. To tell you several days to vacate your cabin for 6 hours is not reasonable.

I hope everything resolves quickly and you can relax and enjoy.

Make sure you write down your complaints and keep a copy for yourself. You're always better off recording the "play by play" than waiting until you get home.

Hope things get better for the rest of the week!

We were recently on the Noordam and had one or two of those notes. But as I recall, they always ended with something like: if this is an inconvenience to you, please contact the front desk as soon as possible so we can make other arrangements.

If it was inconvenient, I would simply call them and tell that to remove your room from the cleaning list.

My blood pressure would rise if I were told to make my room available all day two times for ship maintenance. And cruises are supposed to lower the BP.

I consider my stateroom my peaceful and private sanctuary where I can leave schedules behind, read, watch the waves, sit in the sun if I have a veranda, disrobe and nap undisturbed until the time when I choose to dress at my convenience... not a place where my day has to be regimented according to HAL's maintenance timeline.

Your experience sounds like sitting at home waiting for a repairman to show up all day at his convenience and then paying for the privilege.

I would write the Hotel Manager a note requesting to be moved to a room of equal or better category -a fully functioning room not scheduled for maintenance - or failing that, a monetary credit on my shipboard account for the hours I had to return my room back to HAL for the ship's use. I'd ask the front desk for a copy.

Then, having done what I could do, I'd try to forget it and have fun for the remaining time aboard. Perhaps put out my "Do not Disturb" tag. And if my concerns were ignored, I'd certainly write a letter once home.

For the balcony maintenance, they'll come from outside. They typically knock on your veranda door so you'll know they're there. They did our teak on Nieuw Amsterdam in the fall. If I recall correctly, it took less than an hour.

My room remains acceptable tonight. I will be writing Seattle when I get home. Even though I declined for them to come into my room to sand and varnish my balcony, they did it while I was ashore. Shady. I'm not ready to flush hal down the drain because I still do like them the best but this certainly hasn't been a stellar cruise. That said, my cabin stewards have been great. Most of the MDR staff are good too. The cabana guys have been very good as well. I appreciate the feedback. Thx.

Lore, When they sanded and varnished our verandah railings on 2 of our cruises we received basically the same notices as you. When they came to do the railings though they did not come through the stateroom. They came through via the verandahs only after opening the connecting dividers.

Joanie

For the balcony maintenance, they'll come from outside. They typically knock on your veranda door so you'll know they're there. They did our teak on Nieuw Amsterdam in the fall. If I recall correctly, it took less than an hour.

Not always, POA. They did this to us a few months ago, and the crew needed access via the stateroom door. I was very annoyed to find that while I had to give them access and vacate my room all day, they left the door propped open all day to make it easier for them to go in and out. They covered the floor with plastic runners.

Make sure you write down your complaints and keep a copy for yourself. You're always better off recording the "play by play" than waiting until you get home.

Hope things get better for the rest of the week!

Yup, I was going to do that today.

We were recently on the Noordam and had one or two of those notes. But as I recall, they always ended with something like: if this is an inconvenience to you, please contact the front desk as soon as possible so we can make other arrangements.

If it was inconvenient, I would simply call them and tell that to remove your room from the cleaning list.

That was my issue. They were supposed to remove me from the list but they didn't.

Not always, POA. They did this to us a few months ago, and the crew needed access via the stateroom door. I was very annoyed to find that while I had to give them access and vacate my room all day, they left the door propped open all day to make it easier for them to go in and out. They covered the floor with plastic runners.

That's what it sounded like to me. I understand that they need to maintain the ship. I don't understand why this couldn't have been done during drydock from April 10 to 20.

My blood pressure would rise if I were told to make my room available all day two times for ship maintenance. And cruises are supposed to lower the BP.

I consider my stateroom my peaceful and private sanctuary where I can leave schedules behind, read, watch the waves, sit in the sun if I have a veranda, disrobe and nap undisturbed until the time when I choose to dress at my convenience... not a place where my day has to be regimented according to HAL's maintenance timeline.

Your experience sounds like sitting at home waiting for a repairman to show up all day at his convenience and then paying for the privilege.

I would write the Hotel Manager a note requesting to be moved to a room of equal or better category -a fully functioning room not scheduled for maintenance - or failing that, a monetary credit on my shipboard account for the hours I had to return my room back to HAL for the ship's use. I'd ask the front desk for a copy.

Then, having done what I could do, I'd try to forget it and have fun for the remaining time aboard. Perhaps put out my "Do not Disturb" tag. And if my concerns were ignored, I'd certainly write a letter once home.

I feel the same way about my cabin. I don't enjoy people going thru it all day long.

I'm so sorry you are having these issues. You shouldn't have inconvenience and stress on your vacation. To tell you several days to vacate your cabin for 6 hours is not reasonable.

I hope everything resolves quickly and you can relax and enjoy.

So far the a/c is working and no maintence scheduled for today. Life is good.

So far the a/c is working and no maintence scheduled for today. Life is good.

Glad to hear it. A hot & toasty room is not something of which I'm fond - especially on formal nights, with all those extra layers of worsted wool. Enjoy the rest of your cruise. You'll be back here in Fort Lauderdale before you know it.

Glad to hear it. A hot & toasty room is not something of which I'm fond - especially on formal nights, with all those extra layers of worsted wool. Enjoy the rest of your cruise. You'll be back here in Fort Lauderdale before you know it.

That's for sure. I'm already dreading the flight home:D. I think I'll stay because nothing is happening job wise at home.

I'm not a long-term follower of these boards, but I've been active enough to recognize the value of "cruise critic" commentary. I particularly appreciate comments that show objectivity, fairness, and civility. Cruz Chic is one of the contributors that I respect and appreciate. Balanced comments and opinions are useful to me, as I prepare for future cruising vacations. Cheer-leading and fierce loyalty to a cruise line certainly have their place, but when I'm looking to spend hard-earned retirement dollars on a vacation, I look for those people who are able to share both the positives and negatives of their past experiences. I feel more informed when consulting and reading reports from people like Cruz Chic. Thank you!

I'm not a long-term follower of these boards, but I've been active enough to recognize the value of "cruise critic" commentary. I particularly appreciate comments that show objectivity, fairness, and civility. Cruz Chic is one of the contributors that I respect and appreciate. Balanced comments and opinions are useful to me, as I prepare for future cruising vacations. Cheer-leading and fierce loyalty to a cruise line certainly have their place, but when I'm looking to spend hard-earned retirement dollars on a vacation, I look for those people who are able to share both the positives and negatives of their past experiences. I feel more informed when consulting and reading reports from people like Cruz Chic. Thank you!

Awwwww shucks, you've made my day:). You are very kind.

On one of my Maasdam cruises, they sanded and painted the railings all along the deck. The horrible odor came into the cabin and the smell was awful. My husband, who had terrible issues breathing in the smell and they sent someone to spray in our room. Next day, same thing all over again. Several cabins up and down the lanai cabins complained, but nothing happened. The front desk was non responsive so I parked myself outside the HM office and waited for him to be free. Captain happened to be in there. I politely explained the situation and the problem was taken care of.

Sometimes, when you try the lower level of front desk people, customer service, etc. and you don't get satisfaction (I was always told the HM was unavailable) you need to go up the chain of command while you are still on board so you can enjoy your cruise.

On one of my Maasdam cruises, they sanded and painted the railings all along the deck. The horrible odor came into the cabin and the smell was awful. My husband, who had terrible issues breathing in the smell and they sent someone to spray in our room. Next day, same thing all over again. Several cabins up and down the lanai cabins complained, but nothing happened. The front desk was non responsive so I parked myself outside the HM office and waited for him to be free. Captain happened to be in there. I politely explained the situation and the problem was taken care of.

Sometimes, when you try the lower level of front desk people, customer service, etc. and you don't get satisfaction (I was always told the HM was unavailable) you need to go up the chain of command while you are still on board so you can enjoy your cruise.

The problem is that those people are easier to find on the older ships. I think they hide them now:D.

I am sorry that you are experiencing this. When I was aboard the Noordam from January 5th to the 26th, while I enjoyed my cruise, I was really disappointed in what I felt were ship management issues in some areas. I expressed my feelings to Mr. Ashford upon my return.

I would request to speak with the Guest Relations Manager. I should have done so when I was aboard and did not do so. A different Master is at the helm since January, but I wonder if the same Hotel Director is still there and if he is not the problem.

I was aboard the Carnival Miracle on the cruise prior to when she went into drydock at Freeport and the cruise was great with no passenger problems due to the drydock (other than they ran out of the wines in my package, but I received even better quality substitutes)!

What is wrong with HAL these days!!

Just curious -- Was Ron Bonbital (I'm sure I royally screwed up the spelling of his last name) the HD on your cruise?