Noordam cabin 4183, you may want to reconsider

cruz chic

What a difference a day makes. My cabin was beautifully nice and cool. That all changed in the middle of the night last night. I woke up around 3:30 and thought my cabin was hot but feel asleep again. Then I woke up at 5 am and realized there was no air flow. I reported it to the front desk at that time. They did not get the air going until about 11:30. I guess they had problems with the aft section of the 4th floor. It has still not cooled down that much. In addition they are doing all sort of maintenance. They were in my cabin cleaning the rug so I needed to make it available between 9 and 3. Tomorrow, now they want to do balcony repairs and I need to make my cabin available between 9 and 5. This ship is going into dry dock for 10 days after this. Why not do it then?

What a difference a day makes. My cabin was beautifully nice and cool. That all changed in the middle of the night last night. I woke up around 3:30 and thought my cabin was hot but feel asleep again. Then I woke up at 5 am and realized there was no air flow. I reported it to the front desk at that time. They did not get the air going until about 11:30. I guess they had problems with the aft section of the 4th floor. It has still not cooled down that much. In addition they are doing all sort of maintenance. They were in my cabin cleaning the rug so I needed to make it available between 9 and 3. Tomorrow, now they want to do balcony repairs and I need to make my cabin available between 9 and 5. This ship is going into dry dock for 10 days after this. Why not do it then?

I would be talking to the Hotel Manager and remind him of just that fact. Do the repairs next week. And I would request a refund for the time you have been put out these few days. On sea days I'm in my cabin most of the time. I am so sorry you are having to deal with this!

It is called cheating the customer.

Reducing your customer experience and the environment that you paid for in order to reduce the down time/out of revenue service time in dry dock.

How would you feel if they did this in a hotel room? You would ask for another room or simply check out.

Come to think of it, most better hotels would not even rent the room if they knowingly had to complete work of that sort.

If you 'have to make you room available' for routine maintenance like this then HAL should consider a credit for those waking hours in which you are 'sharing your room' or do not have full control of it.

I am sorry that you are experiencing this. When I was aboard the Noordam from January 5th to the 26th, while I enjoyed my cruise, I was really disappointed in what I felt were ship management issues in some areas. I expressed my feelings to Mr. Ashford upon my return.

I would request to speak with the Guest Relations Manager. I should have done so when I was aboard and did not do so. A different Master is at the helm since January, but I wonder if the same Hotel Director is still there and if he is not the problem.

I was aboard the Carnival Miracle on the cruise prior to when she went into drydock at Freeport and the cruise was great with no passenger problems due to the drydock (other than they ran out of the wines in my package, but I received even better quality substitutes)!

What is wrong with HAL these days!!

If it gets much worse I will attempt to talk the the guest relations manager. Agree with what you said iancal. I've declined the work and he asked if I was going to be in my cabin. I'm in and out many times a day. They pulled this crap in the cabanas on the NA. The cruise was pretty nice before today. Now not so much. Concerned for anyone that may be in this room for the canal cruise on the 20th. Not good if the air is not working. It seems like they feel they have the run of everyone's room and you should give them free rein.

Edited by cruz chic

I am sorry that you are experiencing this. When I was aboard the Noordam from January 5th to the 26th, while I enjoyed my cruise, I was really disappointed in what I felt were ship management issues in some areas. I expressed my feelings to Mr. Ashford upon my return.

I would request to speak with the Guest Relations Manager. I should have done so when I was aboard and did not do so. A different Master is at the helm since January, but I wonder if the same Hotel Director is still there and if he is not the problem.

I was aboard the Carnival Miracle on the cruise prior to when she went into drydock at Freeport and the cruise was great with no passenger problems due to the drydock (other than they ran out of the wines in my package, but I received even better quality substitutes)!

What is wrong with HAL these days!!

If it gets much worse I will. 2 years ago I had toilet issues (the toilet not me:D)on this ship. I was hoping this cruise woukd be better and it was for the most part but it seems to be going downhill fast now.

What a bummer that is! Why don't you tell them it is your holiday and you like to sleep until noon? Why should you have to get up and out early on your vacation? The answer is that you shouldn't have to.

If it gets too hot at night wander out into any of the cooler public areas in your sleeping attire and take along a pillow or two. Relax and lie down on a sofa or chair. Don't forget your book and a glass of water.

If management asks...tell them it is too hot in your room. Make sure that others around you hear your issue.

Sadly it may be that the only way to reach them is to embarrass them in front of other customers.

And send back (to the Hotel Manager) that 'shut up and go away' bottle of cheap wine that may be delivered to you cabin as your consolation prize.

Edited by iancal

Sorry about all this! No A/C is a bummer.

We've had the carpet cleaning many times, but always with a 3 hour window to be out of the cabin. I am surprised at the 9 - 3 range!

Balcony repairs, too, but they have never needed to come through the cabin. They have just let us know that someone would be out there between a 4 -5 hour period.

Getting a head start on the DD, I guess. Nice for the pax on the post-DD cruise, but not for those on now.

Hang in there and write a note to the GRM about this. This really isn't acceptable.

If it gets too hot at night wander out into any of the cooler public areas in your sleeping attire and take along a pillow or two. Relax and lie down on a sofa or chair. Don't forget your book and a glass of water.

If management asks...tell them it is too hot in your room. Make sure that others around you hear your issue.

Sadly it may be that the only way to reach them is to embarrass them in front of other customers.

And send back (to the Hotel Manager) that 'shut up and go away' bottle of cheap wine that may be delivered to you cabin as your consolation prize.

Would really get their attention OP didn't wear sleeping attire :D.

I would go straight to the HD- totally unacceptable.

Would really get their attention OP didn't wear sleeping attire :D.

I would go straight to the HD- totally unacceptable.

It is best to work up the chain of command, I think.

This is the GRM's job. He/She can pass it onto the HD, if necessary.

I have a feeling that there are a lot of cabins involved in this mess, so there will be a number of complaints and it will all be discussed a the morning staff meeting.

I can understand if they needed access to your cabin for an hour or two, but from 9 to 3? That's ridiculous. On sea days we are in and out of our cabin several times during that period, and to not have access to it would be unacceptable. I would ask to be moved to another cabin - a fully functional one.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Oh, I feel for you. I lost the use of my Neptune balcony while they did maintenance for several days on my dollar. If they try that again I won't be so compliant, I can assure you. It's a bit hard to block out the noise of sanding and scraping, and the paint fumes, though, from the adjacent balconies.

Thanks for the great ideas everyone. Thankfully my cabin did cool down over night. I hope it stays that way. They did show me another cabin but it was no cooler than mine. My guess the temp was in the high 70 region. I'm hoping today will be better or they will be seeing my jammies.

This sure does not make for good memories of your cruise. Other then you complaining up the chain of command & filling out the survey at the end of your cruise not much you can do. Do hope it does get better.

Allan

There is something that one can do.

When we do not get what we paid for and/or management is completely indifferent we simply vote with our feet and with our wallet.

At the end of the day it can be the most effective and sometimes the only lever that you have.

Filling out a comment card (at the front desk or delivered to your room) has worked well for me when I've had issues in the past. Just a clear here is what happened, here is how it has affected me, and here is what I'd like to see. I've also used them to say positive things about who has performed well.