Tuxedo Rental

Hello all you happy cruisers! I just brought a really nice formal dress and was thinking of having hubby rent a tuxedo. Has anyone rented on the ship before? Any idea in price? Also do they give you two shirts for both formal nights? Thank you in advance!!

Hello all you happy cruisers! I just brought a really nice formal dress and was thinking of having hubby rent a tuxedo. Has anyone rented on the ship before? Any idea in price? Also do they give you two shirts for both formal nights? Thank you in advance!!

Good choice. I rent the shoes too so I don't have to bring my shiny shoes. Make sure he tries it on the first night. The first time I didn't, the pant length was to short and I looked like Peewee Herman on formal night. They actually sent the tailor to my cabin two hours before dinner. He measured, took the pants, and I had them back in 30 minutes. Still made it to the lounge for a couple of cocktails. :D

Edited by Big_G

My husband has rented a tux on numerous occasions. On each occasion the Tailor has come to our cabin and measured him. A couple of hours later the tux and shirts are delivered (as earlier posters have said; you can rent the shoes, cuff links, dickie bow, vest/waistcoat also). They ask you to hang the tux over the back of your door when finished with it and they will collect - actually I think we just leave it behind the door on disembarkation.

Cheers

Di

So the company I rented from supplied 5 other cruise line, None of them RCI. so not sure my previous answer is accurate. Hopefully someone who has rented on RCI will chime in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was talking about RCI. He has also rented on Princess.

Cheers

Di

I love renting tuxes, and shoes.

You can go to Men's Warehouse, they will do your measurements.

When you go online to rent one, they give a sheet for you to fill in.

Just bring that with you and write everything down.

Do try it on first night, just in case. I never had any problems.

Enjoy your grand evenings.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Bigtex1622

Thank you so much for the info you all provided. Do I really have to measure and start a reservation for his tux online or can we just wait till we board?

Do it ahead of time, less chance of things being wrong. You can go to any place that has tuxedos and they will measure for you, or you can do it yourself

With the understanding that not everyone can pack a tux and shoes when traveling, a reasonable alternative to renting is buying an inexpensive tux package from one of the several online stores. For about the cost of two to three rentals, depending on the vendor and package chosen, it is possible to get a tuxedo and have alterations made so it is tailored. It looks and feels better than a rental and it's yours.

On the other hand, for convenience, renting on board is surely the way to go.

I just rented one three weeks ago for a trip on Oasis. I took my own shoes and socks (it's a personal preference). I paid $89 got two shirts, cummerbund, vest, bow tie, and long tie with pocket square, studs and cuff links.

First few times I went down to Men's Warehouse and had measurements done. Since then I found it not really necessary. I know my jacket size and just put down what my normal pant size is. The tux pants have a pretty adjustable waist band so if you are within two inches you will be fine. Usually I find the length a little shorter than I like, but heck it's only two nights so who really notices.

We always rent so we don't have to pack even more for when we fly.

We always rent online in advance.

We always rent the combination package $99 which includes a coloured vest (gold, silver or red), matching tie, cummerbund, bow tie, cufflinks and studs. So one night we wear black tie, one night the coloured vest set.

We always bring our own shoes.

We always find the tuxes in the closet when we enter the cabin on boarding day.

We always try the whole outfit on the first afternoon so that any issues can be rectified by the on board tailor. On one occasion the vests were the wrong size and we hadn't tried them on (unlike the jacket and pants), but it was rectified just in time for formal night!

Pretty sure you have to reserve online.

They actually carry a pretty good stock onboard. I have rented twice from RCI and have not reserved online. Several times in the Compass, tux rental availability was listed. I was measured on the spot and it was delivered to my room within an hour or so. I had an issue with the seat of the pants coming unsewn and it was taken care of immediately.

Im not saying do not reserve online but the tailor told me they can accomodate most anybody spur of the moment without doing so so its not totally necessary.

Edited by ryano

So the company I rented from supplied 5 other cruise line, None of them RCI. so not sure my previous answer is accurate. Hopefully someone who has rented on RCI will chime in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Royal used Cruise Line Formal in the past too but switched a few years ago.

With the understanding that not everyone can pack a tux and shoes when traveling, a reasonable alternative to renting is buying an inexpensive tux package from one of the several online stores. For about the cost of two to three rentals, depending on the vendor and package chosen, it is possible to get a tuxedo and have alterations made so it is tailored. It looks and feels better than a rental and it's yours.

On the other hand, for convenience, renting on board is surely the way to go.

I bought a cheap tux from Men's Warehouse for $200 I believe. I needed one for a black tie wedding and a New Years Eve event within a few weeks of each other. Sure, it's not the best quality, but they did do free alterations and it fits me quite well. I was initially going to rent but didn't realize how expensive it was (about $140 all in here in the Chicago burbs).

I may take it on our next cruise if I have the luggage space.

I seen Tux's as cheap as 100 at JC Penny and some other stores, I do 1 or 2 cruises a year and get my money worth out of it, I will use it 3 times this month once at a charity gala and twice on my cruise. I wear my Tux more than I wear a suit. I always take a garment bag and do not bring any other jackets.

I purchased one on Ebay recently. Former rental stock. Excellent condition. All wool, not polyester. Fit perfectly, even the pants length. Jacket, pants, vest and tie. Fifty bucks and free shipping. We drove to the port, so no problems with airline weight limits etc. I was very pleased. And it is ready for next cruise.

They actually carry a pretty good stock onboard. I have rented twice from RCI and have not reserved online. Several times in the Compass, tux rental availability was listed. I was measured on the spot and it was delivered to my room within an hour or so. I had an issue with the seat of the pants coming unsewn and it was taken care of immediately.

Im not saying do not reserve online but the tailor told me they can accomodate most anybody spur of the moment without doing so so its not totally necessary.

&

Royal used Cruise Line Formal in the past too but switched a few years ago.

Gregg

That is good to know certainly different from my HAL cruise last summer. Think I'll wait til on board to use my OBC.

Dave

I FOUND THAT YOU CAN BUY A TUX WITH SHIRT ETC. FOR ABOUT THE COST OF TWO RENTALS.:cool: