A favorable and honest review of CB-- Best cruise yet!!!

BeachinBeauty

I'm really going to try to make an honest effort to provide a detailed review here. I never actually finished my last one. Just Saturday, I got off of the Caribbean Princess five day (3/30-4/4) Caribbean sampler sailing. I've been seeing a ton of non-favorable posts on this board regarding the CB and it's current state. Let me preface by saying, this cruise was, hands down, my best cruise experience thus far. No, I do not have an extensive cruise history. I am a novice and, up until this trip, had only sailed Carnival :eek:. So, no, I am not of the caliber of the ocean's most elite and seasoned luxury travelers. I am merely your average consumer. Therefore, I represent the majority of travelers. I feel it is my duty to provide an accurate and honest account of my experience with Princess and the CB, specifically. There were high points and there were low points. The low points weren't dealbreakers, by far. As with any cruise, it really is all a matter of a opinion. There were likely people on my sailing that had a horrible time, while others may have had an even better time than I did. My last cruise, I had a great time while others in my party were miserable. Keep that in mind. I just hope that, in doing this, I can help ease the minds of concerned travelers and assist people in their choice of cruise line/ship.

(I will start the actual review in the comments)

I am merely your average consumer. Therefore, I represent the majority of travelers. I feel it is my duty to provide an accurate and honest account of my experience with Princess and the CB, specifically. There were high points and there were low points. The low points weren't dealbreakers, by far. As with any cruise, it really is all a matter of a opinion. There were likely people on my sailing that had a horrible time, while others may have had an even better time than I did. My last cruise, I had a great time while others in my party were miserable. Keep that in mind. I just hope that, in doing this, I can help ease the minds of concerned travelers and assist people in their choice of cruise line/ship.

(I will start the actual review in the comments)

Welcome to the club! We all started out as 1st time cruisers and I guess that after several hundred cruise we might be as cynical as some of our CC compadres have become. I hope that I never do, but time will tell.

I for one enjoyed your fresh take on cruising and look forward to many more reviews from you.

We are just,

“RetiredNTraveling”!(Mike & Betty)

Platinum Members after 4 Suite Cruises,

"Remember Travel First Class, If You Don't, Your Kids Will!"

On Sunday, March 29th we began the 10+ hour drive from North Carolina to our hotel in Florida. Traffic was in our favor and we made good timing. We stopped off to eat at a Longhorn in Jacksonville, grab a few items from Wal-Mart, re-fuel before getting back on the road to finish our trek to Ft. Lauderdale.

20150329_1548071_zpsmyvxxjmp.jpg

Our hotel was the Holiday Inn Express Plantation. With traffic and lights, this hotel is about a fifteen minute drive from the cruise port. I'd gotten some Expedia coupon rewards, so ended up getting a decent room for the night, along with a full breakfast buffet for two, for $93. So, definitely a good value. I'd recommend it if you can book through Expedia and use one of their coupons.

The room was in good shape. Wasn't the nicest thing I ever stayed in, but not dirty or decrepit. Excuse the clutter. That's what's to be expected with two women and all of their travel necessities in one room ;)!

DSCN2469_zpsns7qgvpo.jpg

DSCN2470_zpsqaqyrbgq.jpg

They provided Bath and Body Works toiletries

DSCN2467_zpsaqdaacwo.jpg

After we got settled in, we were just too exhausted to go out to eat. So, we went to the front desk and requested delivery menus. She provided us with three. We chose the Chinese restaurant. For $20, including a tip, we received a feast fit for a king. We shared an entree, but it was still too much food and we ended up throwing away a great deal of things.

After dinner, we'd planned to go to the pool, but were just too full and tired. So, we called it an early night.

In the morning, we got up and went to the hotel's breakfast room. A full breakfast was included in our rate. This breakfast consisted of pancakes, biscuits, sausage links and sausage gravy, various breads, eggs, cereals, yogurts, coffee, juices, etc. It was pretty substantial, given that most chain hotels only offer quick grab items. I didn't get any pictures of the offerings.

We checked out at 10:45. Checkout time was 11 AM. We weren't rushing because I'd received an e-Mail from Princess informing me that we wouldn't be able to board until around 2 PM. So, we went to a few stores before heading towards the Park n' Go.

DSCN2473_zpsnbdtr7hl.jpg

The sign above is actually the billboard for Park n' Fly, but it's right near the Park n' Go entrance. As for Park n' Go, can't recommend these folks enough! Book in advance, online, and receive their special internet rate. I paid $45 and some change for a week's worth of secure parking. We pulled into the parking lot around 12 PM on Monday, March 30th. We handed an attendant our keys, they removed our suitcases and placed them onto the shuttle, which were direct to, and our car was valet parked. We were pulling up to the terminal at approximately 12:18 PM.

Next up will be embark...

Thanks for the warm welcome! I hope to be able to provide more reviews (aka: go on more cruises!) in the future. I'm addicted ;)!

I totally understand people holding the cruise lines to a certain standard and being concerned about where their hard earned money is going. I suppose if I'd traveled on a nicer ship before, it would've been easier for me to have noticed the flaws that others do on CB. I did, indeed, notice flaws. But, they didn't hinder my ability to thoroughly enjoy this trip. I was scared to board due to things I'd read on here before sailing. I was sort of expecting a run down, ocean jalopy. Last night, I noticed someone posted expressing concern due to what they had also seen. So, just wanted to provide a different take on matters.

It was my first time with Princess and I was overall pleased with the product and the ship. I know some people have been sailing this line for years and, just as with other lines, they are disappointed in things that are changing or diminishing.

We just all have to keep in mind that one person's idea of a good time, or an acceptable condition, is different from another's. We cruised over Thanksgiving on Carnival Conquest. Aside from some sea sickness, I had a fabulous time. Couldn't wait to book my next cruise! My father in law, who was also traveling with us, had a miserable time and has sworn off cruising.

Ten hours is a long time! More power to you! Nice pictures of the area.

Yes, it was a super long time! It ended up being around twelve with stops. But, I am terrified of airplanes. Imagine that. I really don't mind the road trip thing, though. You get to see a lot of interesting things along the way.

Thanks for the review. I'm boarding the CB in 10 days so this is just what I need.

I know what you mean about looking at a cruise from fresh eyes. We've been thinking of trying Celebrity just as a change of pace. Nothing at all against Princess, we'll be back many more times, but just to try something new. I was on their board the other day and they were complaining about not having fresh squeezed orange juice any more. Now, if I hadn't read that I'm sure I would have thought the orange juice was just fine (and probably still will). I thought I had better stop reading so I won't be disappointed about something that I didn't even know I should be disappointed about.

I can't wait for your continuing review.

Thanks for the review. I'm boarding the CB in 10 days so this is just what I need.

I know what you mean about looking at a cruise from fresh eyes. We've been thinking of trying Celebrity just as a change of pace. Nothing at all against Princess, we'll be back many more times, but just to try something new. I was on their board the other day and they were complaining about not having fresh squeezed orange juice any more. Now, if I hadn't read that I'm sure I would have thought the orange juice was just fine (and probably still will). I thought I had better stop reading so I won't be disappointed about something that I didn't even know I should be disappointed about.

I can't wait for your continuing review.

Orange juice was fine. In fact, I recall the waiter in MDR saying, "Would you guys like some of our fresh squeezed orange juice?" So, don't know if he was just saying that or if they still are doing it. Either way, I had a glass every morning. I don't drink fresh squeezed orange juice at home, so it's not a requirement of mine. One thing I've noticed is people continuously saying Princess coffee is "horrible." I'm not a big coffee person, but OMG!!! I had to have several cups with breakfast and the best part of dessert after dinner was getting a cup of that nectar of the Gods! Haha. Maybe they've changed their supplier? Maybe I don't know what good coffee is. Probably, I don't, because like I said I don't drink it much. But, it was fantastic to my taste buds. It could've been the creamer, too. We don't use real cream at home and I think that really made it perfect. Now we're planning to go out and buy real cream to put in ours here. On another note, I've also seen many posts claiming Princess pizza was rated best cruise line pizza. I felt there was nothing that set it apart from Carnival pizza. It was very standard. I liked it, but it wasn't phenomenal.

That's a trip to the market. We are heading down in 9 days and it's 19 1/2 hours. Just point the nose South. I await your next installment. This is our 2nd time on her and had an excellent time in 2013.

Edited by golfb4cruzing

I totally appreciate another cruiser with a positive perspective. We have been pretty much Royal cruisers with a cruise on Norwegian a few years ago. I had done research before our 20th Anniversary cruise, and the reviews were quite bad [emoji15]. But the itinerary was right as was the price, so we jumped. The ship may not have been "perfect" but it was nicer than any RCCL ship we have sail, and the staff was impeccable. Plus the food was better than any other cruise we have been on.

I attribute this to the squeaky wheel phenomenon. I believe more people will post a bad review than will post a positive one. Or should I say, an entitled type of person is more likely to post a negative review than your average vacationer who had a nice cruise. We are not by any means extensive cruisers, but we have had our share of good and bad cruises. Even the worst of cruises, to me, is still a heck of a way to spend a week.

:) Thanks for posting a more positive review. I have always figured the whole trip has to have the right attitude! I am always a 'glass half full' type of person, and always see the good side of things. Can't wait for the remainder of your review! Leaving on the CB on May 9th doing the Mediterranean! :p

I totally appreciate another cruiser with a positive perspective. We have been pretty much Royal cruisers with a cruise on Norwegian a few years ago. I had done research before our 20th Anniversary cruise, and the reviews were quite bad [emoji15]. But the itinerary was right as was the price, so we jumped. The ship may not have been "perfect" but it was nicer than any RCCL ship we have sail, and the staff was impeccable. Plus the food was better than any other cruise we have been on.

I attribute this to the squeaky wheel phenomenon. I believe more people will post a bad review than will post a positive one. Or should I say, an entitled type of person is more likely to post a negative review than your average vacationer who had a nice cruise. We are not by any means extensive cruisers, but we have had our share of good and bad cruises. Even the worst of cruises, to me, is still a heck of a way to spend a week.

That's so true! The ship had minor flaws but it was nicer than the Carnival ships I'd been on. I would sail CB again and again, actually. I got a really great deal on this trip, otherwise, I may have never ventured away from Carnival.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

:) Thanks for posting a more positive review. I have always figured the whole trip has to have the right attitude! I am always a 'glass half full' type of person, and always see the good side of things. Can't wait for the remainder of your review! Leaving on the CB on May 9th doing the Mediterranean! :p

You're soo right! I remember, before my Thanksgiving cruise, my father in law told me, "I work with somebody and they just went on a cruise and said it was terrible." He was already set to go into it negatively. I knew from that point he was going to have a bad time. Sure enough, he did. They sat in their stateroom the entire trip, with the exception of meal time. DH and I did activities and things. Hearing my father in law describe the cruise and hearing me describe it, you'd think we'd taken two separate trips. He says cruising is no different than jail. JAIL :confused:! But, it's the perfect illustration of how different people and different mindsets can mold the same situation into two totally opposite forms.

Nice to read that you had a great cruise. It sounds like you have a great attitude when traveling.

Thank you! I try! I mean, there were times on the ship where I can see how someone's favorable opinion might waver. There was the occasional waft of sewage scent at certain, unfrequented spots. Our room steward didn't return us any pool towels after the second day. I saw stained carpet in some places. But, you could always walk away from the scent. It wasn't shipwide or near our food or room. Pool towels were available at the pools and the resort we visited provided them for the day. The carpet may have been stained in areas, but it was very beautiful and ornate and was certainly clean. So, I tried to make the most of things. I went into this fearing much, much worse, so the little flaws were kinda like, "Oh, is that all?"

We were on the same voyage. We drove a total of 22 hours (should have been 19) and, by the time we got to Ft. Lauderdale, we needed to get on the ship!

Can't wait to read your take on the cruise. I thought it went well, but had a few issues. Nothing that was critial, but it was noticable. It didn't detract from the cruise overall, because, in the end, a day at sea is better than a day at work.

All these stories of long drives make me happy I live close to a port!

I wold give my eye teeth to be able to drive to an east coast port in under 20 hours. I, too, live close to a port (SF) but the itineraries are very limited and with the same limitations that L.A. has. Getting to Europe is also much easier. I hate flying so much that I have considered buying a second home on the east coast when we retire just so that I can avoid having to fly so much and to have more options. :D

I wold give my eye teeth to be able to drive to an east coast port in under 20 hours. I, too, live close to a port (SF) but the itineraries are very limited and with the same limitations that L.A. has. Getting to Europe is also much easier. I hate flying so much that I have considered buying a second home on the east coast when we retire just so that I can avoid having to fly so much and to have more options. :D

It's definitely a blessing being so close to Florida. I happen not to mind the drive even though it hurts my body. We always just drive and get a hotel so we can rest and do the same on the way back.

Thanks for starting your review. We sailed on the CB for New Year's. It was our first time driving down to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise. We're in Raleigh. We stopped near Port Saint Lucie. Traffic was heavy on the way down and impossible on the way back to North Carolina since it was right after the holiday. But I'd do it again as long as we had time if the price of airline flights is too much.

Thanks for the review. My DW and I have sailed on the CB in the past and have always had a good experience. We are booked on her for November of this year. We only sail Princess since they have always been good cruises. We like the itineraries, the ships and the staff. Basically they have not made us mad yet.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean]

Thank you! I try! I mean, there were times on the ship where I can see how someone's favorable opinion might waver. There was the occasional waft of sewage scent at certain, unfrequented spots. Our room steward didn't return us any pool towels after the second day. I saw stained carpet in some places. But, you could always walk away from the scent. It wasn't shipwide or near our food or room. Pool towels were available at the pools and the resort we visited provided them for the day. The carpet may have been stained in areas, but it was very beautiful and ornate and was certainly clean. So, I tried to make the most of things. I went into this fearing much, much worse, so the little flaws were kinda like, "Oh, is that all?"

OMG the horror a carpet with a stain!!