On board The Star

kathy9

Went on this optional tour today and found it average at best. The first disappointment was the drive-by of Belem Tower - this was more of a glimpse-by. Then spent too much time IMO at the 'modern' Tower to the Discoveries featuring Prince Henry the Navigator (which wasn't in our tour descrption). Then off to the Monastery and Cloisters which we did both enjoyed. On the way we learned all about the nightlife and drinking habits of university students (more on that later).

Our guide, Maria, told us about a fabulous custard tart shop that we'd be passing by on the way from the Monastery to the Coach Museum and encouraged us to get in line to buy. When we got there the line was long, but she said it would move quickly. Well it didn't. Some of our group started walking to the Coach Museum, but some of us stayed in line (moi being one of the custard tart liners). In retrospect this was not a good idea and she should have told us to forget it. Most of the group went on ahead and those in line caught up with the other half at the totally skippable Coach Museum. Although the coaches were interesting, not something I'd recommend you spend your time on when you only have 6 hours in Lisbon.

Then we seemed to go on a bus ride through town, with her pointing out the hazing rituals that university students go through and the drinking games they play. We probably spent half an hour touring about on the bus, but non memorable in my opinion. The highlight was seeing the old fashioned tram cars about.

Then we finally got to the Alfama district where we were supposed to stroll by the exterior of the Cathedral and "free time to wander it's labyrinthine streets brimming with inviting cafes and craft shops". She announced as we got off the bus that we only had 10 minutes and then walked us about half a block into the area and started another discussion about what young people like to do and the acoustic guitars they like to play and their drinking habits, all while standing still. Of course we have no idea which way to go, so I finally interrupted her and suggested we really didn't care about university drinking habits and let's get moving. We walked about 2 blocks in total, a lot of which was under construction and then back on the bus. "So sorry but we don't have time for the Cathedral, but it's not that great anyway." It was only about 4:30 and our onboard time was 5:30 and we were literally within sight of the ship and could have walked back 20 minutes tops. But no - have to get back right away.

There were two busloads with this excursion with two different guides. It would be interesting to compare notes with the other group and see how it compares with my opinion. The guides can have such an impact. If there's anyone who was in the other group, post your opinion please!

Bottom line - I would not recommend this optional tour, and would definitely avoid Maria, but don't know how you'd do that if Viking opted to have her back.

Looking forward to tomorrow and the first of our 2 sea days.

Lisbon is a difficult city to see by bus. If it makes you feel any better though, there is absolutely nothing inside the Belem Tower. It's beautiful from the outside, and of course it's very old, but I decided not to spend my valuable time inside (and waiting in line) when I was there last year. Some people did, but their visit was shorter than their wait in line.

Maria sounds like quite an interesting tour guide! Hhmm...

Where do you go after your sea days? Rouen? I'm so envious of your journey....so many wonderful places to see in this big world!

Thanks, how about specialty dining? I know you can't pre-reserve before departure but was wondering about the chances of reserving while on board.

Also, was bringing hard liquor on board in ports allowed?

Thanks, how about specialty dining? I know you can't pre-reserve before departure but was wondering about the chances of reserving while on board.

Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong, but: I forget who said it (several people, I think), but the general consensus from the first segment or two "deluxe" cruisers was that there was no problem reserving the specialty dining once you got on board. As for hard liquor, I think someone reported it would be held until the end of the cruise and returned when you disembarked. Wine and other stuff under a certain percentage, however, could be brought on board.

There is a posting on the Viking Oceans forum that includes all of the dailies for the first leg. I see that there are a number of enrichment lectures, but quite a few occur during meal times. Are the lectures taped and broadcast on the TV for later viewing?

The lectures are not available via TV at a later time. I've asked if this is something that Viking will do once the TVs work and have gotten conflicting information from Explorers' Desk personnel. Not being able to watch taped lectures, not having a navigation channel, not having a view from the front (a camera on the bridge) and not having sports channels are just some of my video pet peeves with Viking.

The lectures are not available via TV at a later time. I've asked if this is something that Viking will do once the TVs work and have gotten conflicting information from Explorers' Desk personnel. Not being able to watch taped lectures, not having a navigation channel, not having a view from the front (a camera on the bridge) and not having sports channels are just some of my video pet peeves with Viking.

That makes me sad. The lectures were highlighted in the initial press releases and they played a big part in our decision to give this a try. I really don't want to feel like I have to choose between eating and attending a lecture. :(

That makes me sad. The lectures were highlighted in the initial press releases and they played a big part in our decision to give this a try. I really don't want to feel like I have to choose between eating and attending a lecture. :(

A good number of them I saw on the dailies people posted seemed to be from 5 to 6, a great time when normally people are back on board the ship but not going to dinner yet - although it may cut into cocktail hour for some! But for those lectures scheduled near lunch time, why not just eat before or after? There seem to be a number of options for lunch, including a fairly late lunch.

There were two lectures my husband went to that went into the dinner hour . We were a party of four, so the remaining three of us went to The Restaurant at 7pm and he joined us there when he was finished at 7:15. For us, it wasn't a big deaL. One time, I even ordered for him, as he usually asks me what I think he'd like anyway. :)

Becki

Edited by rjscott

I had the same concern being in the basic veranda...no problem..when we boarded, we made a 6:30 rez at both specialty rests...and two days ago, we got a phone call in our cabin confirming that nights rest as Manfredi's which we had not made.

Sea day today..movie theaters still not working...very few activities onboard..It would be nice if the CD got on the PA once in a while likewise the Capt. Last nights production show canceled because...ready? A performer was seasick.

Chef's Table no problem. One night (6:30) when we ate there, we counted only 12 diners including ourselves. I think I heard it seats 125 or so. So, I'm sure you can get into there at some point - maybe not on a specific night, but at some time during your cruise. Manfredi's I would try to book earlier in your cruise as people quickly figure out it's the best restaurant onboard and it's much more crowded. However, my guess is that you can get in there if you book as soon as you board, as there are usually some empty tables even there.

The weather cleared this afternoon and everyone is enjoying this leisurely day at sea. Yesterday everyone was rather cooped up and trying to stay upright. Today folks are out and about.

Yesterday about 3:30 we enjoyed the free spa amenities as it had been a bit crowded earlier in the day, I think in large part due to the weather. When we went though only about 6 folks were there so we enjoyed it a lot. The spa area is one of my favorite areas on the ship and kudos to Viking to making it available and free to everyone (regardless of cabin category). I know other cruise lines restrict access and you have to pay extra to take advantage of the spa. I was worried that the spa would be overly crowded with 900 passengers, but yesterday was the first day that we noticed more than 8 or so people there. Also, I had initially thought that there wouldn't be enough lockers available, but any time I've been there, there's plenty of available lockers. Note to Viking though - several of them don't lock with your keycard - #4 and #12

Today we went to the Infinity Pool and we were the only ones in the pool - had it all to ourselves. Fantastic. Temp was nice and warm. All the pools are salt water pools and the spa and infinity pools (haven't done the main pool yet) are heated to a nice temp - very comfortable. The salt water is mild and you don't feel like you have salt residue all over you when you get out. About the only thing we noticed is a slight salt taste if you luck your lips.

Have had fantastic massages in the spa (3 so far) and today I had a facial. And true to their word they do no push product at you and give you a sales pitch to buy more. I had to ask about a product - she then gave me the info I wanted, but didn't at all push. Another kudo to Viking for taking this approach.

Only one negative for the spa experience. The gratuities are confusing. There's an "auto-gratuity" of 15% that gets added onto the spa price. You can change this amount if you want. But, SOME of the personnel tell you that goes to the spa and that doesn't go to them. They tell you how to leave a "tip" which would go to them on TOP of the auto-gratuity. After a couple of times I talked with the spa manager and here's the scoop. The "auto-gratuity" of 15% gets divided up amongst all the spa personnel. So those that say they don't get any of it aren't exactly truthful if you ask me. They get a slice of your auto-gratuity as well as a slice of everyone else's auto-gratuity. You CAN give 0% to the auto-gratuity and give your whole "tip" to the particular person you want, but then you're cutting out all the spa people that are behind the scenes. Very confusing policy I'd say!

Now off to sit on my deck and enjoy the evening.

The weather cleared this afternoon and everyone is enjoying this leisurely day at sea. Yesterday everyone was rather cooped up and trying to stay upright. Today folks are out and about.

Yesterday about 3:30 we enjoyed the free spa amenities as it had been a bit crowded earlier in the day, I think in large part due to the weather. When we went though only about 6 folks were there so we enjoyed it a lot. The spa area is one of my favorite areas on the ship and kudos to Viking to making it available and free to everyone (regardless of cabin category). I know other cruise lines restrict access and you have to pay extra to take advantage of the spa. I was worried that the spa would be overly crowded with 900 passengers, but yesterday was the first day that we noticed more than 8 or so people there. Also, I had initially thought that there wouldn't be enough lockers available, but any time I've been there, there's plenty of available lockers. Note to Viking though - several of them don't lock with your keycard - #4 and #12

Today we went to the Infinity Pool and we were the only ones in the pool - had it all to ourselves. Fantastic. Temp was nice and warm. All the pools are salt water pools and the spa and infinity pools (haven't done the main pool yet) are heated to a nice temp - very comfortable. The salt water is mild and you don't feel like you have salt residue all over you when you get out. About the only thing we noticed is a slight salt taste if you luck your lips.

Have had fantastic massages in the spa (3 so far) and today I had a facial. And true to their word they do no push product at you and give you a sales pitch to buy more. I had to ask about a product - she then gave me the info I wanted, but didn't at all push. Another kudo to Viking for taking this approach.

Only one negative for the spa experience. The gratuities are confusing. There's an "auto-gratuity" of 15% that gets added onto the spa price. You can change this amount if you want. But, SOME of the personnel tell you that goes to the spa and that doesn't go to them. They tell you how to leave a "tip" which would go to them on TOP of the auto-gratuity. After a couple of times I talked with the spa manager and here's the scoop. The "auto-gratuity" of 15% gets divided up amongst all the spa personnel. So those that say they don't get any of it aren't exactly truthful if you ask me. They get a slice of your auto-gratuity as well as a slice of everyone else's auto-gratuity. You CAN give 0% to the auto-gratuity and give your whole "tip" to the particular person you want, but then you're cutting out all the spa people that are behind the scenes. Very confusing policy I'd say!

Thanks for the info on the spa!!!

I much appreciate it!

Denise from sunny San Diego😄

I enjoyed the day wandering around on my own, taking my time, enjoying this delightful city of leaning half timbered houses and soaring Cathedral spires. I didn't even do the included Viking tour as my guide books told me there was a local Market that ended at 12:30 and the Viking tour was not going there. This worked out fine. Viking provides a free shuttle bus that takes you from the industrial area around the port into the heart of town. (You could also walk along the river, but it's a mile and a half.) Where the shuttle drops you off in town is where you catch it to come back, and unlike some other ports, this one in fact runs continuously. (I've had trouble in some other ports (like Dubrovnik) where the bus sits and waits for 20 minutes after you get on before it starts up again while the bus driver reads the paper.)

Note: Viking Oceans ship is NOT docked where the Viking River boats are docked. We're about a mile farther out from town.

Rouen is entirely doable on your own. I had a blast. DH went on a private tour (arranged by CC member PopsA) of the D-Day Normandy area that's not back yet. We're scheduled to leave Rouen for Greenwich at 9:00 tomorrow morning.

I did Rouen on my own this morning and then did the included walking tour in the afternoon. In the morning I went up the town's clock belfry since it was free (normally 6 euro I think). I don't know if it's free every Sunday but it was a neat 100-spiral stair experience with a fabulous overlook at the top. There was a provided 30-minute audio guide that came with the free ticket but I didn't bother. Others, though, said the 30-minute audio guide was very interesting. I also visited the morning market but wasn't that impressed since I've seen bigger ones. It had 6-8 vegetable stalls, 2-3 fish stalls and a few other stalls. There was some kind of African-oriented outdoor market/festival at another square but that was definitely a one-time thing and I didn't need to buy any African masks or fabric.

Regarding the walking tour, this was the best walking tour I've had so far since getting on in Istanbul. The guide definitely makes it or breaks it (plus there were only 16 of us) and she was from the UK so English wasn't a problem. And this tour seemed to be more walking and less standing in one place for 20 minutes at a time. Since it was a Sunday neither church (Joan of Arc & the Cathedral) allowed visitors in until after 2. Our tour was 1:30-4:00 and we spent at least 30 minutes in the very interesting Cathedral (and I am NOT into churches or castles!!!). If you visit Rouen on a Sunday, take the afternoon walking tour so you can have an explanation of the inside of the Cathedral.

We've been to Paris before (6-night honeymoon!) and didn't care for it. Rouen, on the other hand, is delightful!

LadyVol - did you go to the Market near the Joan of Arc Church? If so, that was the smaller one. The bigger one was on Place du Marc on the east side (by a couple blocks) of Eglise St Marclu. On the other side of town from the Joan of Arc Church. A little past the Plague Cemetery. Or maybe I was delighted by it since I'm easily impressed, being a market novice.

Lots of fresh flower vendors, bakeries, fresh veges, fish (with some very weird looking crabs I've never seen before), meat, sausages, cheeses, plus antiques, vintage books (all in French of course), leather goods, even underwear, and mattresses of all things. I spent 2 hours there. Bought a chunk of Brie, and a half of a small loaf of fresh raisin walnut bread. Stopped by a Cafe in front of Eglise St Marclu and ordered a pot of Earl Grey tea and enjoyed my Brie and bread as my lunch. But like I said, I haven't done a lot of Markets.

Ran into Mrs CrusinSubWoman there. We were both trying to take a picture of the same thing and bumped into each other. The rest of the folks there were definitely French!

id4elizabeth - Yes, I went to the market near Joan of Arc Church. I knew about the other market but based on what the local tourist info person at the shuttle drop-off told me, I went to the Joan of Arc one. I should have done my homework better. Your market sounded much larger. Basically only locals were buying items at the Joan of Arc one although the morning Viking tours walked through it. I'm guessing locals go to their closest one for their fresh food. Anyway, your market sounded bigger and better!

Thanks for the rundown on the spa, id4Elizabeth -- I too think it's pretty exceptional. Glad to hear some clarity on the tipping issue -- yikes.

Carolyn

While standing in the UK immigration inspection line, I saw Michael, Systems Manager. (Names and titles are on the name tags they wear.) I asked him about the status of getting sports channels, the navigation channel and taped lectures in our cabin. He told me to ask the Broadcast Manager. I went to the Explorers' Desk and asked for the Broadcast Manager's phone number and one of the women took my message and contacted the Broadcast Manager. She then told me that the contract for the sports channels is still being negotiated and the navigation channel, which was never planned for, is now being developed. She didn't ask the broadcast manager about the status of watching taped lectures in our cabins. I expressed my dismay over Viking not getting the contract for the sports channels signed prior to April 11 since that is one of the entertainment items that was documented in many places pre-cruise and she said it is Cruise Director Paul Reynolds' responsibility since it is "entertainment". I will now follow-up with Paul. (Having a navigation channel and taped lectures were never advertised so it's my fault for not asking pre-cruise about the availability of these basic ocean cruise entertainment options. However, Viking still owes us the sports channels.)

On a positive note, today's weather has been absolutely great for our nice Seine River scenic cruising from Rouen. The ship left a little prior to 9 AM and it's now almost 3:30 PM and we just passed Le Havre and are now almost in the English Channel. Our cabin is on starboard and we passed castles, abbeys, manors, villages, farms, white cliffs, barges, river cruise boats, cows, mules, sheep, horses and swans. To me it was nicer than a river cruise since we have a much bigger balcony (and cabin) from which to enjoy the views.

I agree with LadyVol about our River cruise today. It was marvelous. Our ship seemed enormous winding it's way down the narrow river. We must have been quite a sight for the locals, who all came out and waved. We saw one truck stop in the middle of the road, which ran right along the river, and pull out his camera and take our picture.

I think the other thing that made it so spectacular in comparison to river boating is the height. Quite different to be 9 stories up looking down rather than two. You could see the landscape out for miles. Quite relaxing!

I agree with LadyVol about our River cruise today. It was marvelous. Our ship seemed enormous winding it's way down the narrow river. We must have been quite a sight for the locals, who all came out and waved. We saw one truck stop in the middle of the road, which ran right along the river, and pull out his camera and take our picture.

I think the other thing that made it so spectacular in comparison to river boating is the height. Quite different to be 9 stories up looking down rather than two. You could see the landscape out for miles. Quite relaxing!

I didn't even realize ocean cruise vessels could go to Rouen, and even cruises with Paris in the itinerary are unusual, even with the smaller ocean cruise ships. Do you go to a nearby port rather than right down the Seine to Paris, or how does that work?

Just curious for anyone who remembers Kotor: I have read that the strait is less than a fourth mile wide when it comes out into the part of the Bay where Kotor is located, plus the two tiny islands across from Perast. This must have been interesting. Was anyone up early enough to see that, and was it light enough in early April to do so? It's apparently about 45 minutes out of Kotor. I'm hoping to see it, although it may have to be when we depart, as I don't know if there will be enough light that early in the morning.

We had plenty of light in April when we sailed in. I think the scenic part started around 6:30? We were all out on the bow freezing taking pictures, and then I finally realized that it was much quieter aft and there was no wind. Sorry it's so small, I'm not sure how to make it bigger.

ETA: On our cruise, it was dark by the time we left, so if you wanted to enjoy the sail-in, you had to get up. My husband passed on it.

DSC00234.jpg.01dd121688fc0a004d539bb1af48f752.jpg

Edited by amyr

We had plenty of light in April when we sailed in. I think the scenic part started around 6:30? We were all out on the bow freezing taking pictures, and then I finally realized that it was much quieter aft and there was no wind. Sorry it's so small, I'm not sure how to make it bigger.

ETA: On our cruise, it was dark by the time we left, so if you wanted to enjoy the sail-in, you had to get up. My husband passed on it.

[ATTACH]349026[/ATTACH]

Wow, that's a beautiful picture. The infinity pool makes it really special, too!

We are scheduled to be in Kotor at 7, and given that many cruise ships end up getting to a port before the scheduled "itinerary" time, I'm thinking I may not see much that morning. However, we leave at 6, and there will still be some daylight then, according to what I googled. (We're doing the reverse of your cruise, so leaving earlier to make the long trip around to Greece.) Hopefully between AM and PM, I'll see something. It sounds like an excellent evening to eat outside, and hopefully late September it will be warm enough for that.

Between the fact that I'm sometimes waiting for lighthouses and therefore up on a windy deck when others aren't, plus the fact that I'm too cheap to stay in veranda cabins (or suites with wider views!), I learned long ago that aft is a great place for me. That big old smokestack is my friend when it's windy! I just stand behind it and wait for something nice to appear!