Hotel FLL

babygoo

Hi there, I gather Intercontinental Doral is the hotel in which Princess Uk guests are accommodated but we'd prefer to be closer to the port. Before I contact them can anyone let me know if Princess regularly uses other hotels and what they are?

Thanks

They have also used Embassy Suites on 17th.

Chances are excellent you can get a better deal on the hotel and transport on your own, be closer to the port if you wish, and get to the ship when you want to. FLL is probably the easiest port to get around on your own.

Hi,

Princess will offer you a choice of hotels if you ask. We stayed at the Intercontinental Doral last year, we weren't that keen on it, so are trying the Embassy Suites next Friday.

I agree with cruiserbruce that you can easily book your own hotel and for much less.

Too, the cost for a cab is very low as the city isn't very large. You don't need to pay for that transfer to the port. And most hotels preferred by cruisers are only minutes from the port. You can see the ships from many nice hotels.

If possible, even if not booking on your own, choose a different hotel. The Embassy Suites is a mile or so from the port. And in walking distance to restaurants, stores for last minute purchases etc. No way do you want to stay at the Doral hotel.

I advise you to go to the Florida departures board for more ideas for hotels if doing on your own. As Bruce said, this is one of the easiest ports to handle. Stay in the city and enjoy all the perks.

If you are coming from Scotland, I'm thinking that you are landing in Miami sometime in the early evening. Miami airport is about 45 mins. drive to Ft. Lauderdale. I would suggest you look into booking your own hotel in Ft. Lauderdale and transfer there by taxi when your flight lands. Taxi fare will be about US$75 plus tip. I would look at hotels on S.E. 17th Street. Princess charges by the person, but if you book on your own the price is per room and usually quite a bit less than the Princess price. A taxi for two persons from a S.E. 17th St. hotel to the pier on boarding day is under $15 with tip, and it is a 5 min. ride.

If you decide to go with the Princess hotel package Princess does use hotels in Ft. Lauderdale. These hotels can change each year.

Our choices in Ft Lauderdale would be,

1)Hyatt Place on 10th (next to Embassy Suites)

2)Renaissance on 17th St, across from the port entrance.

I like the Intercontinental Doral. :)

I, too, recommend the Marriott Renaissance on 17th. Street. It's a really nice hotel, with restaurants within walking distance. There's a Wallgreen's right across the street; they sell just about any/every thing you can think of in the way of a drug store/grocery and odds and ends you might have forgotten to pack, or something to snack on.

When we were there two weeks ago we stayed one night at the FL Hilton Marina which we really liked.

We arrived at MIA at about 6.30 from the UK and I'd booked a shuttle bus transfer for the 5 of us - exclusive use for 5 being no more than a shared service and cheaper than 2 taxis (which we'd have needed).

It took maybe 40 minutes to get to the hotel and we had dinner there in the outdoor bar by the moored yachts - it was a great start to the holiday.

In the morning, Id planned to just get a couple of taxis to the port but the hotel was offering a shuttle service for a fee (I honestly can't remember how much but it was in the range I'd have paid for the taxis for 5 people). The shuttle service was for every ship and there were departures every 15 minutes. So on our mini bus there were passengers for the Regal and the Allure. On the bus before us it was the Royal and something else.

It was so stress free we'd definitely do the same again next time.

Thanks for all the replies :)

Princess are charging us £210 ($310) for our hotel and transfers, I thought this was quite a good deal?

It depends on the 'season', as the Ft. Lauderdale hotel

prices can vary greatly.

I would use an estimate of $80 for cab fare from MIA to

a Ft. Lauderdale hotel, check the hotel price, and then

decide.

Personally, I like to avoid the princess cattle-cars if at all possible.

For that $310, you can get into the port area and not be stuck inland in a nice but generic hotel. If you booked with the cruiseline for convenience, I'd request a different location. you are at least 45 min. from beautiful Fort Lauderdale. I'd even pick downtown Miami over Doral. Might as wellstart your vacation with a true Florida feel.

Knowing the date would really help us compare pricing for you.

Edited by eandj

We used Princess the first time we traveled to Ft. Lauderdale. We stayed in a Marriott inland and it was over $300/person. We thought we could do much better on our own. (We fly into Ft. Lauderdale)

If you go to google maps and look up the port area, you can ask for hotels near there. Then you can 'shop' for one you might like. There is a strip of beach just north of the port that has a plethora of hotels! My brother-in-law said he liked Bahia Mar so we checked them out. They are right across the street from the beach, a short walk to all activities on the strip, rooms were nice, and they have many prices and packages to choose from. For the past two winters, we have chosen the package that includes breakfast and a ride to the port the day of embarkation. We are getting ready to book again for next winter. We splurged tis year, getting a room with a view of the beach, breakfast, and the ride to the port and still got out of there for $350 total. Compare that to the $600 for just a room our first time. . . No brainer!

Have fun choosing!

$310 for two people or $310 per person?

$310 for two of us- Thanks to the poster who quoted taxi prices; I've had a look at the hotel prices and I don't think I can do better than this. I guess I'll have to try my luck with Princess ..eek