Does Carnivals trip insurance cover delayed flights?

goduckies05

I leave on the Legend from Vancouver at 4 pm and my flight gets in at 1. I should be fine as it is only a 2 hour flight from SFO, but if for some reason i am really late and miss the ship does Carnivals trip insurance cover it getting sent to Juneau?

You're cutting it way too close. A 4PM ship's departure means that you have to check-in well before that time, arriving in Vancouver you also have to go thru Canadian Customs, and it's maybe a 1/2 hour ride from airport to the ship.

See the Policy at http://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/vacation-protection-pdf.ashx Part A for Independently booked Air ( your Common Carrier is delayed due to inclement weather which prevents you from reaching your destination and the delay causes you to miss more than 50% of your Cruise Vacation). and Trip Delay. It also looks to me that in an emergency you could cancel up to ship departure and receive 75% future cruise credit.

I'd change to an earlier flight or re-schedule a day earlier, stay at Pan Pacific or Fairmont at the port and see some of Vancouver.

ken

Edited by Ken076

If it were me, I'd look at travel insurance from an outside company that could cover missing a cruise due to late flight in or provide reimbursement for additional expenses needed to join the ship at a port other than the originating port. Not that expense in the grand scheme of things. Otherwise, attempt to find a means of getting to Vancouver the day before, or earlier on the day of the cruise.

As others have stated that is way to close for a flight. I hope it does work out for you but if the ship sails at 4 you do have to be checked in 90 minutes before she sails or you risk losing your room to someone on the stand by lists. I would contact Carnival right away and let them know you have a late flight as well as try your hardest to get an earlier flight.

I leave on the Legend from Vancouver at 4 pm and my flight gets in at 1. I should be fine as it is only a 2 hour flight from SFO, but if for some reason i am really late and miss the ship does Carnivals trip insurance cover it getting sent to Juneau?

2 separate questions here

Does Carnival Insurance cover for delayed flights? Yes and No depending what you want to do.

Turn around and go home because you missed the ship? No, that would be Trip Cancellation and would not be covered.

Want to spend the night and catch a flight up to the next port of call and rejoin the ship? Yes, that would be covered. Max payout of $500. Your hotels, meals, and last minute one way flight is going to cost you much more than $500. PLUS,,,,, will the cruise line even allow you to catch up to the ship and board? That's a whole nother question.

As others have stated that is way to close for a flight. I hope it does work out for you but if the ship sails at 4 you do have to be checked in 90 minutes before she sails or you risk losing your room to someone on the stand by lists. I would contact Carnival right away and let them know you have a late flight as well as try your hardest to get an earlier flight.

I thought it was 60 minutes before the ship departed.

Also never heard this policy about giving your room to somebody on standby if you don't show by 90 minutes.

I have only heard of one time that they oversold a ship.

What happens if your flight is late and the ship leaves and as you say they give your room to somebody on standby, where would you sleep if you caught up to the ship at the first port?

I guess anything is possible with the rules changing all the time but it's the first time i ever heard of this.

Bill

I thought it was 60 minutes before the ship departed.

Also never heard this policy about giving your room to somebody on standby if you don't show by 90 minutes.

I have only heard of one time that they oversold a ship.

What happens if your flight is late and the ship leaves and as you say they give your room to somebody on standby, where would you sleep if you caught up to the ship at the first port?

I guess anything is possible with the rules changing all the time but it's the first time i ever heard of this.

Bill

I am pretty sure you are correct about the lock down time. Op, way to tight a time period.

Ok, forgot about the customs part. i am running the Bay to Breaks that Sunday so at the time i didn't want to fly up that day as i figured i would be exhausted. But in looking at this, i decided to change to sunday night. Thank you!

I live in Vancouver, very close to the airport actually, customs is very quick now. They have DIY kisoks to go thru and it is very quick. I am usually done before my luggage arrives at baggage claim. The Skytrain from the airport to Waterfront Station (which is at the cruise ship terminal) gets you there in 16 minutes and they run every 3-5 minutes the trains. Cheaper and quicker than a cab. I have gotten off a plane, thru customs gotten my luggage and a cab and been home in about 30 minutes. You can easily be off the plane and getting off the skytrain at Waterfront Station in one hour. It may be a hassle with the luggage, but so much quicker.

If it was noon i think i would have kept the reservation as is. But, i was paranoid after thinking about it last night and even though it costs me 200 bucks to change, having that peace of mind is worth it. Also got a good rate at Century Plaza. So i guess i will have to relax that night. i am glad i asked instead of rolling with it. My luck SFO would have been fogged in!

If it was noon i think i would have kept the reservation as is. But, i was paranoid after thinking about it last night and even though it costs me 200 bucks to change, having that peace of mind is worth it. Also got a good rate at Century Plaza. So i guess i will have to relax that night. i am glad i asked instead of rolling with it. My luck SFO would have been fogged in!

Sorry you had to pay so much to change your flight, but now you can relax and enjoy your cruise.

Good luck with your running the Bay to Breaks.

I think you did the right thing. ENJOY. Ken