An Incident that's Bothered Me

I'm guessing the deadbolt wasn't locked either. I don't know what staff carries the deadbolt key but if you have to use it then you would expect someone to be in the cabin. If they were surprised then they probably didn't have to use the key.

I've also experienced a the mini-bar staff working alone. I've never experienced any staff unlocking the deadbolt but sometimes they do enter a little quick for my liking. Some times their timing is really really bad. :eek::D

Edited by Big_G

In my experience, the deadbolt can not be overridden with a key card. It is a physical, metal key.

My DH went back to the room one night while I was still out with friends. He had a lot to drink....and accidentally locked the dead bolt. I could not get in when I returned to the cabin, and there was no waking him up (knocking, calling on the cabin phone repeatedly). Guest Services did not have a key to unlock the door. They called "maintenance" to the room who confirmed the dead bolt was on (duh...I told them that. lol.). He had to go get special "approval" to use the key to open the door. It took another 30 minutes for him to do so. Whether true or not, he told me he had to get authorization from an officer on the bridge.

Of course, when he did open the door, my DH then woke up and asked me why I had been out so late -- it literally took 2 hours to get in the room! :mad:

Of course, when he did open the door, my DH then woke up and asked me why I had been out so late -- it literally took 2 hours to get in the room! :mad:

I'm guessing he paid dearly. :D

Even when you lock the door from the inside it can still be opened by staff.

It would have to be that way for safety reasons. However I would assume in realizing the door is bolted, that means somebody must be inside.

I don't know how the staff is trained, but I would think if the DND card is in the reader long enough it may mean the pax just forgot to take it out.

If I see the SA I usually say hi and tell them how long we will be out, just so they can plan for how they have to do our room.

Not in the Uk - there are either chains or fixed bar locks that you set across. They can only be opened from the inside- they are not controlled by anything except manual manipulation.

Well, when an RCI ship comes to the UK it is going to work as described above.