An Incident that's Bothered Me

Maybe looking for a room for the day.:D

...or an hour....:rolleyes: :p

oh dear, we're getting bad. But, I must say. If my DND sign was in the door, and the deadbolt was 'on'......and my partner and I were 'relationallyship engaged', be it in the middle of the morning, afternoon, or evening....I would be incensed that someone enter our cabin when all the signals are saying 'busy, come back'.

Normally I sail solo...but I always felt very safe turning the deadbolt at night...as well as locking the door. Now I wonder.....can a key actually override the deadbolt?? :confused: :(

...or an hour....:rolleyes: :p

oh dear, we're getting bad. But, I must say. If my DND sign was in the door, and the deadbolt was 'on'......and my partner and I were 'relationallyship engaged', be it in the middle of the morning, afternoon, or evening....I would be incensed that someone enter our cabin when all the signals are saying 'busy, come back'.

Normally I sail solo...but I always felt very safe turning the deadbolt at night...as well as locking the door. Now I wonder.....can a key actually override the deadbolt?? :confused: :(

Yes the deadbolt can be opened with a key. There Needs to be a way to open the door in an emergency. The key Cards can´t override the deadbolt, but if you have a look at the doors there´s a keylock on them as well and someone Holding a key can open the deadbolt from the outside.

Now it Needs some higher up officer to have Access to the key.

Not in the Uk - there are either chains or fixed bar locks that you set across. They can only be opened from the inside- they are not controlled by anything except manual manipulation.

Same in the States, either a chain or some other type of locking mechanism to complement the normal door lock.

We have had our "do not disturb sign" that we put out missing later, not sure if it was children??

Same has happened to us George.:)

To the OP, we wouldn't be concerned, staff are in the hallways going in and out of cabins all morning, they have a lot to do while we all are about our business during the day.:)

Maybe, just maybe because of our society, they send two people to oversee some type of delivery or assignment (several suggestions have been made in this thread) simply because they don't want an employee to be 'accused' of anything inappropriate happening.

Once the individuals opened the door and realized you were inside the cabin, they proceeded to close the door and leave. I hope they inquired to make sure you were OK, or perhaps if you needed something.

As someone else stated, I can see why two people would come to the room- so they would not be accused of anything improper. I would say that having a male and female enter any room would be even more likely- so that no one could say that something improper was happening. Obviously anything could happen, but the likelihood that a sexually related allegation would be made might be less as long as one same sex person was in the room.

I seriously doubt they were in a relationship and coming into a passengers room to close the deal.

But doesn't the steward enter alone? Is he/she somehow more trustworthy?

Edited by time4u2go

The people who check the minibars always work in pairs and - now that it's been mentioned - it usually is a male and a female. I would think that's the likely explanation

I think you're right. That makes the most sense. I was never inferring that they were there for "nefarious purposes", I just wondered what reason they could have for entering. I never thought of the mini-bar, etc. As I said, I told my husband to put up the DND, but, well, he's a husband....so I can't say for certain that it was on.

Yes, so whats your point?:confused:

My point is, people were saying that 2 people entered so that nobody could be accused of anything improper. If that's the reason, why doesn't that logic apply to the steward? Why is the steward somehow less likely to do anything improper?

Edited by time4u2go

My point is, people were saying that 2 people entered so that nobody could be accused of anything improper. If that's the reason, why doesn't that logic apply to the steward? Why is the steward somehow less likely to do anything improper?
OK see your point, when the OP stated that the thought crossed her mind about a sexual encounter I thought how ridiculous is that! :rolleyes:

The people who check the minibars always work in pairs and - now that it's been mentioned - it usually is a male and a female. I would think that's the likely explanation

My experience is definitely different here, I´ve been in the cabin when the bar staff came for Minibar check and I´ve never seen them work in a Team of two.

This doesn't strike me as odd at all. I worked at a hotel in in-room dining years ago and I would get the occasional mini-bar shift and I sometimes accidentally walked in on people sleeping, with no DND on the door. I would do the same thing, be surprised but leave quietly.

We would work in pairs but we wouldn't really enter rooms in pairs. We would just work in the same area to get it done more quickly.

If OP remembers what kind of uniforms they were wearing maybe we could narrow it down. Sometimes maintenance/facilities people will also enter rooms like that.

The people who check the minibars always work in pairs and - now that it's been mentioned - it usually is a male and a female.

Not always, but maybe in your experience they have worked in pairs. Just as recently as my last cruise in February...I approached my cabin and the door was not wide open, but just closed without being latched. Knowing that the steward had already finished...I gingerly pushed open the door...and sure enough, there was a woman looking in my mini-bar. She was alone..and in uniform with a clipboard. It was legit alright. But she was alone.

Another time, I was in my cabin and someone knocked. It was a male, again in uniform, wanting to check the mini-bar...he was alone. I stood at the open door while he did his check.

I trust these folks and they're in and out in no time. It's the 'surprise' element that gives me the willies. :D Now I know that they will come around and check 2 or 3 days before the end of the cruise, so I'm more prepared.

Just on the Independence in March, first time I ever had the mini bar checked while I was in the cabin. Was the last morning, had gone for breakfast, back to cabin for an emergency bathroom break. The knock on the door, almost immediate door opens and announcement "Mini Fridge Check". Commode flushed as she is walking by to fridge. Didn't see a second person, happened so fast I don't know what she was wearing. I don't know if I had put the deadbolt on the door, but it was certainly closed and I think I had the DND in the slot.

Actually I don't appreciate that she came in so quickly, she didn't give me a chance to yell out "just a minute". When I left for breakfast I had left everything ready to just pick up and leave the ship so I had left the DND in the slot so the attendant wouldn't come in to clean before I was officially out.

Wish I had remembered this on my satisfaction questionnaire.