Carnival Sunshine sickness

sunlite

April 18th sailing, I got sick on the Sunshine and found out that I was not alone. I also heard that the previous sailing they quarantined an entire deck. I wish they would have sanitized it before letting a whole new cruise group on it and got them sick. A person's health is most important and I wish they would have taken that into consideration.

Just had to get that off my chest.

They are usually very good about sanitizing after an outbreak. How do you know they didn't sanitize? On a ship with 2500+ passengers, a few are most likely going to come down with something, and it could be that it was picked up before they embarked. Incubation periods are often more than a few days.

If it was an entire deck then it would have been reported to the CDC as that's more than 3% of the people onboard.

Even on a Code Red ship, pax who are well are not quarantined to their cabins. Protocols are in place.

April 18th sailing, I got sick on the Sunshine and found out that I was not alone. I also heard that the previous sailing they quarantined an entire deck. I wish they would have sanitized it before letting a whole new cruise group on it and got them sick. A person's health is most important and I wish they would have taken that into consideration.

Any proof of any of this? any documentation? Repeating things you heard is a poor way of giving information.

'lots' of people get sick on any given cruise sailing. some of them were sick before they boarded, some of them may not have exhibited symptoms until after they boarded (given incubation periods and such), others may have got 'sick' in terms of food poisoning in port, others may have been exposed to allergens or viruses, or bacteriological infections while in port and had those manifest while on the ship, and others may have 'caught' something from any of those aforementioned points.

if an entire deck was quarantined i'd think it would have made the 'news' and we would have heard about it. further, carnival is very good at sanitizing after 'actual' manifest 'outbreaks' of noro and the such, and consistently scores very highly on cdc inspections (actually consistently better than most of the competition)...

while i feel for you and sympathize with your situation, i do not agree with your generalization of cause and effect. do you know exactly how or why you got 'sick'?

lots of people in a town of 5,000 get sick on any given day. and most of them don't blame the town they live in, or go to the internet to smear the town they live in, based on speculation of their neighbors.

We were on the 4/11 sailing and did not hear of any sickness. We were with a group of 24 with cabins on several decks.

Yea and if they would have quarantined a whole floor it would have made the news and definitely would have been talked about here. Op is not the 1st person to come off a cruise, get sick and blame the ship. Not saying it can't happen but people are quick to point to the ship.

Lets see .... a couple of weeks ago on the Splendor I had just started a walking tour excursion of San Juan and forts when my stomach really started to bother me. Made a good decision and turned around and went back to ship. Stomach continued to bother me for a couple hours and was allright. Hmmm... quess I could have blamed the ship , I had heard a rumor that all odd numbered decks and even numbered cabins were quarantined the week before , but instead I went with the old I've been on a cruise now for five days , been eating all the wrong stuff for a type two diabetic , have lost 50 lbs in the last year and now attempting to gain it all back in 5 days so maybe it just caught up with me this morning. Personal responsibility , sometimes a tough pill to swallow.

We were on the april 18th sailing and my whole family and friends (about 30 of us) were fine knock on wood! And we were on deck 11 while we had others on decks 6, 7 and 8.. Sorry to hear about so many being sick..

Lets see .... a couple of weeks ago on the Splendor I had just started a walking tour excursion of San Juan and forts when my stomach really started to bother me. Made a good decision and turned around and went back to ship. Stomach continued to bother me for a couple hours and was allright. Hmmm... quess I could have blamed the ship , I had heard a rumor that all odd numbered decks and even numbered cabins were quarantined the week before , but instead I went with the old I've been on a cruise now for five days , been eating all the wrong stuff for a type two diabetic , have lost 50 lbs in the last year and now attempting to gain it all back in 5 days so maybe it just caught up with me this morning. Personal responsibility , sometimes a tough pill to swallow.

Now this is what I believe. Good thinking, Rock.

We were on the april 18th sailing and my whole family and friends (about 30 of us) were fine knock on wood! And we were on deck 11 while we had others on decks 6, 7 and 8.. Sorry to hear about so many being sick..

WOW. Must have been on deck 9.

I will say this (and for the record I also don't buy that an entire deck was quarantined) - I get really irked when folks do not truthfully respond to the illness questionnaire at the start of a trip. Simply because YOU (they) want to go on your trip you've looked forward to doesn't mean you should bring whatever ails you on board. Also...even if you're not a handwasher at home when you're on a ship for god's sake WASH YOUR HANDS WITH SOAP AND WATER! A LOT!!!! Sheesh! And those hand sanitizer dispensers are there for a reason. On one trip as we were going into the showroom they had staff members with sanitizer spritzing us as we went in. One woman walked past and staff stopped her and requested she sanitize. "Oh I'm a nurse, I don't need to." REALLY? Oy!

Ok off my soapbox.

... I get really irked when folks do not truthfully respond to the illness questionnaire at the start of a trip. Simply because YOU (they) want to go on your trip you've looked forward to doesn't mean you should bring whatever ails you on board. One woman walked past and staff stopped her and requested she sanitize. "Oh I'm a nurse, I don't need to." REALLY?

I don't know anything about an entire deck quarantined on April 11 sailing. Carnival might sanitize the ships on ongoing basis without any rumors or outbreaks anyway.

People show up for work, classes, or church functions sick all of the time - all closed air environments. They also grocery shop when ill, and even go out to eat (soup?) when ill. It's literally unavoidable and rampant. Exposure risks are potentially greater when hanging with international passengers and visiting international place by sea, rail or air.

I would have laughed out loud at that 'nurse' had I been there at that moment.

Out kids are going to start selling T-shirts and towels to the 23 million world wide cruisers each year. Most colors and styles. Raising money for our college funds and future holiday trips. First two will be:

"I'm Nuro and Hep free"

Towels that have custom chair hog logo's on them that say "40 Minutes aren't up"

Copyright 2015 Eponym :D

Edited by eponym

Yea it seems pretty funny to those not affected. haha LOL Lets joke some more.

Read other forums and you will see several hundred got sick and are still sick. Now what a coincidence huh? Yea maybe everyone just got the flu at one time, same day, same place who all drank and ate the same food and water.

Yea it seems pretty funny to those not affected. haha LOL Lets joke some more.

Read other forums and you will see several hundred got sick and are still sick. Now what a coincidence huh? Yea maybe everyone just got the flu at one time, same day, same place who all drank and ate the same food and water.

I agree. Believe me when I tell you I know how you feel. Obviously none of these people that want to "joke" have ever had this sickness before. If these people think that every deck sickness is reported, they're kidding themselves. One day it will happen to them, and as they have their rear-end on the toilet, and a trash can at their face (at the same time), then they can keep telling themselves repeatedly "This is not really happening." Because if it's not on the news the next day, then it had to be a figment of their imagination.

Almost everyone has been sick with a respiratory or stomach bug at some point. There is never a good time to be sick, especially on a vacation. What I think people are questioning, and finding humorous is the unsubstantiated claim that an entire deck was quarantined. It doesn't happen like that. When people report with symptoms of illness, specifically Noro, they are quarantined to their rooms. When the number gets above a certain percentage (3%?) the CDC gets involved. The idea of quarantining an entire deck is ridiculous and funny. Also, I'm not familiar with other forums that would substantiate this instance on the Sunshine. Could you provide a link? Hope you are feeling better.

LSEA- really? You mean other people have been sick before not on a ship??? Thanks i did not know that was possible. I wonder if it had something to do with deck 6 being flooded with poop water but i suppose you will tell me that is safe and happens all the time.

If you are a well experienced cruiser you would be familiar with the forums. Why would i provide that? Oh so you can rip on other sick people and tell them they were sick before they boarded? You probably work for Carnival, see how many complaints were filed since you know it all.

LSEA- really? You mean other people have been sick before not on a ship??? Thanks i did not know that was possible. I wonder if it had something to do with deck 6 being flooded with poop water but i suppose you will tell me that is safe and happens all the time.

If you are a well experienced cruiser you would be familiar with the forums. Why would i provide that? Oh so you can rip on other sick people and tell them they were sick before they boarded? You probably work for Carnival, see how many complaints were filed since you know it all.

A whole entire deck quarantined for poop water the week prior and yet you are the only one reporting it, based on "something you heard".

Yeah, please excuse our inability to just believe things of this nature with no factual evidence to support it other than "I heard". But if you like this site better as a Cruise National Enquirer, then so be it. :rolleyes:

A whole entire deck quarantined for poop water the week prior and yet you are the only one reporting it, based on "something you heard".

Yeah, please excuse our inability to just believe things of this nature with no factual evidence to support it other than "I heard". But if you like this site better as a Cruise National Enquirer, then so be it. :rolleyes:

18 years of professional work, meaning after graduating college. I have never missed a day of work. Yes, I have been sick before just like everyone else.

Why the sarcasm? If you are frustrated that people aren't taking your experience seriously, you could clear up any misunderstanding by revealing your source regarding the quarantine of an entire deck and point us in the direction of the other forum posts regarding the illness.