Using Istanbul trams

Hi, I know where to get the tram and how to pay for it by buying a jeton. I just wondered if you should by jetons for the return journey when you buy them for the outward journey, or do you have to buy the return journey just before you take the tram back? Thanks, Sue

You can buy as many jetons as you like, whenever you like - they're not dated or timed. Locals usually buy a number at a time & keep them in their pockets, same as you might keep coins in your car for parking meters.

It potentially saves you time - you put the jeton into a turnstile to access the platform, and there's often a line to use the jeton machines. If you have some in your pocket you can by-pass that line & get on the tram that's just arriving.

Downside is whether you'll make use of those jetons - you might find that you have the time & inclination to walk back to the ship.

BTW, the jeton machines have instructions in English, and you can buy a number of jetons in a single transaction rather than one at a time. And the machines give change if you don't have the correct amount.

But I don't think they accept plastic.

Do make a note of the name of the stop where you board, so that you know where to get off when you return.

We learned that the hard way. :rolleyes:

Do as I say, not as I do :o

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

....actually, I suspect most locals use the Istanbulkart, a reloadable electronic card (like the Oyster card) you can use for public transportation including the trams. It provides a discounted fare. ;)

At any rate, you can certainly do as suggested and buy several jetons at one time.

The Turkey Travel Planner site has detailed info on buying jetons and using the tram to get around:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/Transport/fares.html

One should also keep in mind that those "jeton" or token machines only accept Turkish Lira. We actually saw one cruiser get upset when she discovered that her US dollars did not work.

Hank

We actually saw one cruiser get upset when she discovered that her US dollars did not work.

Hank

Hi, Hank.

That's what comes of USD being so widely accepted in the Caribbean and in some places in SE Asia, etc, it makes folk think they're universally accepted.

Same scenario with the wide acceptance of the Euro in tourist places neighbouring Euroland.

In Istanbul, USD aren't anything like as widely accepted as the Euro (except the bazaars, where accepted currencies include euros, dollars, GBP, yen, shekels, camels, goats, wives, daughters etc ;)) but like most places in the world you need local shrapnel for public transport and govt-operated museums, other than those places which accept plastic.

Totally off-topic, which will probably lead to my post being binned by the mods ;) - as of today I can't get Googlemaps classic, it's been withdrawn. Dead. Ceased to exist. :eek:

I've e-mailed them to say "goodbye, I'm off to Bing Maps" but possibly I don't hold too much sway with Google. :D

Has the same thing happened on your side of the Pond?

Edited by John Bull

Hi JB,

We also noticed that Google made some changes with their map program. It seems to be related to your operating system and those still using the older Vista or XP (we still think this was the best Windows platform) are now relegated to something they are calling Google Maps Lite.

So JB, I guess this means its time to get a new PC or upgrade your operating system :). We would find it hard to survive without Google Maps :).

Hank

Hi JB,

We also noticed that Google made some changes with their map program. It seems to be related to your operating system and those still using the older Vista or XP (we still think this was the best Windows platform) are now relegated to something they are calling Google Maps Lite.

So JB, I guess this means its time to get a new PC or upgrade your operating system :). We would find it hard to survive without Google Maps :).

Hank

Thanx for the reply Hank.

I'm on Windows 7 (newish desktop which I actually down-graded from 8 cos I hated 8 with desktop & mouse), so I've got the choice of Lite or the full orchestra.

But I switched back to classic when new googlemaps came along, cos I hated that too - far too slow & far too many useful features disappeared.

So now it's a choice of new googlemaps or Bing. :(

Or adding routing to maps.me, which at least doesn't need wifi.

Nah, I'm a dinosaur, I think I'll go back to paper maps. :rolleyes:

(apologies to coralsmum for the hijack ;))

Hi,

I highly recommend finding Tom's Port Guides online (free) and downloading the Istanbul guide. Print the map of the port that shows your tram stop options. Be aware that there are several exits to the port (you may be limited in which one you're allowed to use by border control), and several tram stop options. If you ask a local, don't just ask for the tram, say "tram-vay"!

Below are some more threads I found helpful for Istanbul & the tram.

Happy Travels!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2166501

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2148939

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2108170

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2087974

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2067416

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1895167

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1826831

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2132956

Edited by syesmar

Yes, count me among those mourning the loss of Google Maps classic which I used all the time on the Canada board here and on Trip Advisor.

I am learning my way around the new Google Maps. You can do routes with several stops; it is just a bit different.

When we were in Istanbul we worked out how many times we would use the tram and bought eight jetons. The tram is very convenient.

Does ship exchange dollars for TL? Directions to nearest token machine at the pier?

It really depends on the cruise line but generally no! There are places within the port shopping facility that change money and there are also some ATMs where you would generally get the best rate.

Hank

When you exit the port you will be on the street with the trams. There are several ATMs on both sides of the street. It is likely they all have the same rate. Get your cash and then in the centre of the street you will see the sidewalk for getting on the tram and there will be the ticket booth. You really can't miss but if you are still worried look on youtube or get Rick Steves' guide.

Is there an ATM there recommended for good rates???

We like to give a general rule for ATMs. It is best to only use bank ATMs and avoid those which are owned by private companies (including Travelex) which may often charge extra fees. A majority of all bank ATMs are actually processed (in the background) by Visa International (for foreign exchange) who uses a current wholesale rate of exchange (it is a good rate) less a 1% transaction fee (built into the exchange rate). At that point it is then up to your own bank as to whether they will add any additional fees. Personally, because we have done a lot of international travel, we have 2 major credit cards (a Visa and a MC) issued by a credit union and bank that charge zero exchange fees or any other fee. I also have 2 ATM cards (drawn on accounts at 2 different credit unions) that charge no fees for foreign withdrawals. But many US banks (especially the large banks) add on their own charges which can often be 3-5% (this is a lot).

One nice thing about European bank ATMs is that most of them do not charge any extra fees for withdrawals...unlike here in the US

We would add one final thought which is that the typical cruiser does not normally use a lot of foreign currency so the fees really do not make a huge difference in the scheme of things. But for those of us who spend significant time traveling independently on land, the fees do start to cost real money. For example, if I use my fee free ATM card to withdraw $10,000 (on a long trip) I will have $10,000 withdrawn from my bank account. But if DW uses her commercial bank ATM to withdraw that same $10,000 she would have about $10,450 withdrawn from her bank account. That is what I call real money :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hank- thanks for this info. We try to do one overseas trip a year, but the ATM's seem to be something I'm never sure of. I believe we have a debit with our credit union with no fees. However, when we went to Venice it seems like it wasn't work in the airport ATM's so we got our visa to work. Just uneasy when you can't get cash.

Totally agree with Hank. We almost always use ATMs for both foreign land or cruise trips. One additional tip is to withdraw only as much currency as you anticipate using since you will get a poor exchange rate (or no interest in buying ) for your remaining money once you leave that country.

Edited by dabear

Hank- thanks for this info. We try to do one overseas trip a year, but the ATM's seem to be something I'm never sure of. I believe we have a debit with our credit union with no fees. However, when we went to Venice it seems like it wasn't work in the airport ATM's so we got our visa to work. Just uneasy when you can't get cash.

As long as your ATM card is on a network (such as Plus, Star, Visa, etc) is should work in most European ATMs (they display the allowable networks at the ATMs). But we do have some additional advice regarding ATMs. You should have a 4 digit PIN (there have been some reported issues with 6 digit Pins) and you need to know your PIN in numbers (there are no letters on European ATMs)). You also should notify your issuing Credit Union (in advance of your trip) of your trip itinerary. Also keep in mind that you will have a daily ATM withdrawal limit which is set by your own bank (often $500) and also by the withdrawing network. So we usually limit our withdrawals to 300 Euros. A few times we have encountered ATMs that rejected a 300 Euro withdrawal after which we settled for 200€.

If you are only have a single ATM account then it is always wise to have a backup source of cash in case there is a problem with your ATM or the network happens to be down (this is rare...but possible). Carrying some US dollars is usually a good backup (they can be exchanged at money changing places) and carrying a Visa and/or MC is also handy.

When you use an ATM card, if your card does not work do not keep trying at that same machine :). Simply sigh and move on until you find another machine (preferably from a different bank). If you keep trying at a single machine, and its the type of machine where you must insert your card, it could "eat your card" after failing at multiple attempts.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hlitner's advice is bang on. One little thing though. Sometimes if you ask for too much money (more than the machine is programmed to allow) it will refuse you with no explanation. It does not hurt to try one more time for a lesser amount.