Room service charge official on ncl ... Hope rci doesn't follow

Watch what you wish for you just might get it. This started when people wanted more options to dine because they didn't like the dining hours or choices, etc., so now we have up-charge restaurants (no I don't use them) and the food in the MDR is just fine for us. We've used room service from time to time for morning coffee and danish and tipped. If they start charging for room service we will no longer use it. You can only be nickel and dimed if you let them do it. Having cruised for 30 years now we've been there, done that so we just go to relax and will eat at any of the included venues, MDR, buffet, Park Cafe, etc. Prices for photos have skyrocketed over the years to an average of $25 per photo, but we no longer need to purchase them. We rather cruise on the smaller ships due to a medical condition and easier to get around and I don't want to have to make reservations for dinner and for entertainment. Just my 2 cents opinion so no bashing please.

You're right about pretty much all of this. Pricing is always market driven, period. The whole travel industry is transitioning to a fee for extras. Yeah, it sucks to pay for things that used to be free, but some things I'm happy to pay for. It used to be that you couldn't book a bulkhead seat without being an elite or paying for a full fare coach ticket; now UA will at least let me book one for "just" an extra $200. As a 6'1" dude, I actually appreciate that ability.

TBH, I don't mind the upcharge restaurants, but then again, I've only got two cruises under my belt. A good steak house on land is going to cost you around $75/pp, I don't mind paying half that on a cruise ship if the quality is equivalent. I do like "fancy" meals -- did the Chef's Table on Carnival a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it; looking forward to Wonderland on the Harmony. Just make it cheap enough where I won't think that I could have gotten better quality for less money on land.

Did anyone let NCL know that? Because their new ships are coming with more up charge entertainment options.

Well I didn't know that. I do know that when it was put in place on some of their ships in the past it didn't last very long.

51 cruises and I can count the times we've ordered room service on 1 hand. And a couple of those were just to get some potato chips.

I could keep count if I had no hands. We have never once used it. I look for any reason to go take a walk somewhere on the ship. Heck, I don't even need a reason at all but a food trip is plenty good!

I could keep count if I had no hands. We have never once used it. I look for any reason to go take a walk somewhere on the ship. Heck, I don't even need a reason at all but a food trip is plenty good!

Absolutely, but sometimes, that is the only way to get a bag of Lays.

1443792994711.jpg.f0134dbb352aaf463454e40ebc17183a.jpg

$7.95 per order? That's insane! If I had special needs folks in my party, I'd just have someone walk to the buffet and bring the food back. No big deal.

At the same time they started the $7.95 charge, they also started a new policy of not being allowed to take food out of any dining venue. There was so much backlash though, they rescinded the no take-out policy.

Yup-never use room service but I do like to stop at the WJ for bring to the room snacks.

Thankfully NCL did re-visit the not taking food from the buffet!!!

Once we watched someone deliver 2 cookies to a cabin near us. I'm thinking how often things like that happen so there goes one of the reasons for the charge I'm thinking. You better want those cookies!!

If I were in charge :eek: Just like suite guests, I'd make all Handicap-Accessible Rooms no charge for room service.

I'm not a real fan of room service especially onboard a cruise with so many dinning options but to be honest I did rom service in my last cruise and service was really slow. It took them almost 44-55 mins to arrive the food to my cabin, by then we already wanted to do something else than eating. I might ask again for room service but with a charge I won't do it

I'm not a real fan of room service especially onboard a cruise with so many dinning options but to be honest I did rom service in my last cruise and service was really slow. It took them almost 44-55 mins to arrive the food to my cabin, by then we already wanted to do something else than eating. I might ask again for room service but with a charge I won't do it

Our experience is that they are very clear as to how long it will take, and they usually beat their estimate.