A330 carry on

mina

We are flying to Europe via us air on a330 planes in business class. Want to only use carry on luggage. Just wanted to see if US size carry ons fit on this plane or if we have to use international sized carry ons. Thank you!

You can use the "US" carryon ONLY if it measures no more than 22" in height from the floor to the tallest point of the luggage, not just the bag portion. That is where some people go wrong; they forget to measure the wheels and handle for their 22".

I went to that referred web page; it was interesting that the bags were also stowed on their sides along with front-to-back - never saw that before! I might try that on my next flights in June.

Thank you! I had read the baggage size info on the website. I got confused as I also read posts about international size carry ons. So I was not sure if there were different requirements for an international flight. Our carry ons are under 22 inches with wheels. Now, to just successfully pack with enough room for souvenirs! Those roll up space bags will help, I hope!

Edited by mina

Thank you! I had read the baggage size info on the website. I got confused as I also read posts about international size carry ons. So I was not sure if there were different requirements for an international flight. Our carry ons are under 22 inches with wheels. Now, to just successfully pack with enough room for souvenirs! Those roll up space bags will help, I hope!

Curious which airline you are using that has a domestic and a different international carry on definition. That has not been my experience.

Sorry for the confusion, Bruce. I am was not saying that the airline has different requirements, although my wording could be interpreted that way! I meant that I read on message board posts many questions about "international carry ons" I did not know if that implied there are different European size requirements and since I have never flown an A330 before (the plane we are on) -- thought I would ask. Sorry.

I have flown business (Envoy) on US Airways between the U.S. and Europe several times. The equipment is usually the A330-300. The luggage bins are deep and tall. Luggage space in Envoy has never been full in my experience, given it works out to almost an overhead per person and the FA's don't allow economy passengers to use the forward overheads. (I imagine they would make an exception for a medical device.).

The limit is 22" x 14" x 9" if I recall, plus a personal item, but they aren't super strict about it for Envoy like they are on the domestic flights. If you are a little "fat" they aren't going to bust your chops, as long as it will fit without too much effort.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the product. I will try to answer.