Is he going to STARVE????

Hubby and I will be cruising to Alaska on the 30th of May on the Noordam, he is worried he will starve. He likes normal down-home food. Steak, Prime rib, Fried Chicken comfort food, you get the idea. After seeing several menus from similar ships is there going to be food he will eat????

:confused::confused::confused:

He also has a cheese allergy so he has to be careful with certain dishes. :eek:

Hubby and I will be cruising to Alaska on the 30th of May on the Noordam, he is worried he will starve. He likes normal down-home food. Steak, Prime rib, Fried Chicken comfort food, you get the idea. After seeing several menus from similar ships is there going to be food he will eat????

:confused::confused::confused:

He also has a cheese allergy so he has to be careful with certain dishes. :eek:

You should make sure his cheese allergy is noted on your reservation. Cruiselines like to know ahead of time if there are special dietary needs for stocking purposes.

There is an "always available" menu for dinner. Typically has chicken, steak, fish and steamed veggies (sometimes baked potato). May have a few other choices.

I'll also point out that many "fancy" dishes just have fancy names/descriptions, and are basic food.

If you do some reading on the Holland America board, you will find sample menus.

Looking at those sample menus you will see that every dinner will have a beef, chicken and fish on the menu. Many nights also add a pork dish and a pasta main course.

You will also see the "Always Available " menu, which means these are available EVERY night. This always includes a NY steak (which Holland America does very nicely) and several other items.

I have never, in 15 years of cruising and 18 cruises, heard of any one starving.

I'm only familiar with Princess on the matter of food allergies but I imagine other cruiselines have a similar routine:

We cruised last Christmas with our daughter-in-law who is violently allergic to onions. Each evening the Head Waiter would bring her the menu for the following night and together they would plan what she could eat. If necessary the kitchen would prepare something just for her that normally contained onions.

About the only thing they could accommodate for her were soups and certain sauces.

Edited by gooch47

My wife suffers pancreatitis, from time to time, and at those times needs to follow a strict diet, never had a problem asking the waiter for something made for her or finding something in the buffet.

Your Hubby may well prefer the buffet to the MDR.

The burger grll will also probably be right up his alley.

By the same token it will give him the chance to try something new. too am a Plain eater but take the opportunity to try something new on a cruise, if I don't like it, grab some Room Service or a trip to the buffet or ask water for somethng else [i generally avoid this unless t is a slow night in the MDR]

Upon boarding look at your ship's paper and see when the MDR is open. The Maitre d will be there taking care of problems. Talk then about your DH's allergies. They should be able to give you an idea what he can eat the first night.

The buffet can be an issue due to cross contamination. Talk to the Lido Chef to confirm what's in the food.

So true. It is hard to find any one who have even lost weight on a cruise.

I did! On my one and only HAL I lost 4 lbs. in 7 days. Had real issues with the food until mid-way through the cruise when they finally got it sorted out. I have food allergies and food intolerances.

HAL just wasn't a good fit for me.

LOL. He won't starve.

I did lose weight on a cruise once, however. On a Carnival cruise. We've enjoyed the food on some cruiselines better than others, but you can always find something good to eat, regardless of the line.

I have to laugh at the people who use words like "inedible" and "disgusting" to describe the food on any line. There's always something edible. Most times the offerings are very good.

The Carnival weight loss was likely more to do with chasing a four year-old up and down the beach. :) I wasn't crazy about some of the food on Carnival, but my husband and granddaughter liked it.

FYI: I have always lost weight while cruising. I eat more healthy while cruising (lots of salad and veggies, and no fried foods). And, I mostly take the stairs instead of the elevators. The most I ever lost was about 10 pounds on a 7-day cruise.