A bit of a different passport question and frustration

kazu

Looking at an upcoming cruise, our passports will expire 5 and 1/2 months from the end of our cruise. All our ports of call require only three months from the date you enter (yes, I have checked) and while I have always abided by the 6 month rule it seems a pain to renew for the sake of two weeks when it is not required in any of our ports.

If our ports only require that the passports are good for three months (we are Canadian) then technically we are fine as is. But, one lives in fear that there will be an issue boarding so....

Question - does anyone really know - if the ports only require 3 months, would we be ok? I don't want to have issues. On one hand I have always followed the 6 month rule but on the other hand I am tired of losing nearly 6 months on our passports - not to mention that our on line registration with HAL won't be correct until we get the new ones.

I know, I know HAL says it's best to have them 6 months out but it's a tad frustrating IMO when none of our ports require it.

At least the new ones will be for 10 years instead of the 5.

I'd travel with what you have now. Only requirement is that you have the necessary documentation required in each port. If your ports only call for 3mth validity then you're good.

A fellow Canadian :)

While technically you are correct, it would be just your luck to get an embarkation official who didn't get the memo. Just sayin'.

and THAT is the frustrating part;)

I'd travel with what you have now. Only requirement is that you have the necessary documentation required in each port. If your ports only call for 3mth validity then you're good.

A fellow Canadian :)

thanks - it's the way I am looking at it from a logical point of view, but sometimes there is no logic in cruise lines.

Always nice to hear from a fellow Canadian:)

It's only 2 weeks out of 520 ... 0.4% ... that you would lose by renewing early. Just do it! :D:D

no, it's more like, nearly 10% I think since I am losing 5 and 1/2 months out of 5 year passport. (my math might be wrong - not using a calculator) Yes, I will do it, but it's frustrating and the reason for my post.

I don't think it's really necessary BUT......

no, it's more like, nearly 10% I think since I am losing 5 and 1/2 months out of 5 year passport. (my math might be wrong - not using a calculator) Yes, I will do it, but it's frustrating and the reason for my post.

Well, roll the dice then..............

Well, roll the dice then..............

huh??? why this reply? Bolding is mine as to what I said.

Another way of looking at it...and I will use your 10% figure.

Even if your passport costs $200, you are looking at a 'shortage' or 'loss' of $20...10% of the cost...compared to the potential loss of the fare if worst case denied boarding happens (and insurance won't help for lack of proper documents).

Easy choice...

Another way of looking at it...and I will use your 10% figure.

Even if your passport costs $200, you are looking at a 'shortage' or 'loss' of $20...10% of the cost...compared to the potential loss of the fare if worst case denied boarding happens (and insurance won't help for lack of proper documents).

Easy choice...

Exactly. It's a simple choice really.

If by any chance you are entitled to dual citizenship with any country then you can arrange so that they expire at different times. I know probably not but Canada is a land of immigrants after all.

Just don't do what I did once. On arriving in the UK to visit family I used my UK passport for entry to avoid the queues. When coming home to Canada I knew I couldn't use it because my Landed Immigrant Visa entitling me to entry ( before I became a citizen ) was in my old expired UK passport. I checked in at Heathrow with my Canadian Passport with no problems until Immigration. Then I found that they had no record of my entry in their computer.:( I was worried for a second until I showed them my UK passport and explained what had happened. There were no problems then but for a split second I worried. As the rules always change I never do that anymore just in case.

thanks - it's the way I am looking at it from a logical point of view, but sometimes there is no logic in cruise lines.

Always nice to hear from a fellow Canadian:)

We are renewing early for our Oct Japan cruise and just glad we now have the option of a 10 year PP instead of the old 5 yr. Saves a lot of hassles. Plus the new ePassports are supposed to have much better security:)

Edited by Christine Frances

BTW it is bad that Canada doesn't allow you to carry over unexpired time. The UK allows up to 9 months to carry over at renewal, which is much easier to manage I think.

Edited by Fizzer59

BTW it is bad that Canada doesn't allow you to carry over unexpired time. The UK allows up to 9 months to carry over at renewal, which is much easier to manage I think.

agree - wouldn't that be nice :)

At least now we have the 10 year. So we will definitely get that. Five years seems to come by all to fast it seems ;)

It's not so much the money as also the hassle and the question in my head. None of my ports require the 6 month time line. They are all 3 months so it seems strange that we have to do 6 months. I know, I know better safe than sorry. But the logic is baffling me.

Edited by kazu

Kazu: when we cruised with a friend on a Canadian passport 2 or 3 years ago, she was in exactly the same situation. She ended up getting a new (5 year) passport. She was quite annoyed, but decided to opt for 'safe' rather than 'sorry.'

I suspect this is not what you want to hear. It's your call on your vacation and you know what your comfort level is.

Hope you have a great cruise!

I know it is frustrating but I would renew and get the new 10 year passports. That is what I did because I would worry my vacation away if I didn't. .

Kazu: when we cruised with a friend on a Canadian passport 2 or 3 years ago, she was in exactly the same situation. She ended up getting a new (5 year) passport. She was quite annoyed, but decided to opt for 'safe' rather than 'sorry.'

I suspect this is not what you want to hear. It's your call on your vacation and you know what your comfort level is.

Hope you have a great cruise!

Oh I am so safety conscious we will do it, it just baffles me why it's necessary.

If we don't have a great cruise it will be no one's fault but ours :) thanks :)

I've been in the exact same situation and I never gave it a second thought on renewing it. The passport office asked why I was there so early so I explained why. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

We experienced the same thing - also we were among the first who had the option of applying for the 10 year passport which is what we did. Renewing every 5 years just didn't make sense to us. Kazu, if I were you, I'd just lose the months remaining and get a new passport.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

I just renewed mine that expires in Oct incase we decide to cruise this summer. Better safe than sorry, as annoying as it is.

I just did the same! Passport was going to expire in October and I am not even thinking about cruising soon, but what if some unexpected international travel should happen?

I've been in the exact same situation and I never gave it a second thought on renewing it. The passport office asked why I was there so early so I explained why. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I agree. It'd be a nightmare if it prevented you from taking your cruise.