Am I the only one? Is food a deal breaker?

DMH15

Facts:

1. It wasn't today. It was earlier in the week.

2. I try If they hold/keep it, i wouldn't bat an eyelash and most certainly not be outraged.

3. I would not buy the soda package not because the cost, but because it would be underutilized. If they offer bottled-water-only packages, which I have not seen in their website, I would consider that instead of trying to bring a 24-pack.

Better now? Breath in, breath out. It helps.

Actually I hope you are better now....after all perhaps you have forgotten that you were the one that began to rant about "its only 50 freaking dollars..." or have you forgotten? Hope you are now breathing better...or your memory has improved.

When you pay for your cruise the cost of the food is included....other then the specialty venues. So now they are telling you where you can eat the paid for food. The only reason this is occurring is that they are seeking to get you to pay the room service charge.

My one question is just how many accounts does NCL have on here....I can not believe that so many people on here are defending this nonsense.

I never have taken food back to my room on any cruise that I have taken....this is all about money and that is why I'm unhappy about this.

Maywell,

Just like room service...it you don't want to have to pay for it....don't use it (isn't that what has been said?" Soda to me falls in the same category...you don't have to have it....so don't....unless you don't care to pay for it.

Since soda /water / refillable bottles /travel mugs can be brought onboard - Guess what? No one doesn't have to, same can be said about the buffet / MDR - don't want to walk to them, there's room service. And if you don't want to pay for that, then please find a line where its still free (there's still plenty of lines -cheaper than NCL - that still have free room service).

That still no reason to get upset or outraged. You can still get it for $8. It's free on other cruise lines, yes. You can choose not to cruise NCL for a whole host of reasons: value, enjoyment, family fit, etc. Making such fuss about $8 room service fee is simply without merit.

I'm neither outraged nor upset, although I have to wonder at NCL's line of reasoning. You are absolutely correct; although I can certainly afford $8.00 - even 50 bucks", I will take my cruise dollars to other lines. Although it's a well-used maxim - it still stands "it is the principle of the thing".

Honestly, the Specialty thing is what puzzles/bothers me the most. If I've paid extra for a meal, then I want all of it. It's pretty crappy to pay for a meal, then only actually eat 2/3 of it or whatever.

One way or another we've paid for the meals, either by it being included in the cruise fare or being paid for in a specialty restaurant. NCL can spout health and safety all they want, but the only reason that they care at all where we eat those meals is the impact it would have on revenue from room service.

It's a deal breaker for us. We travel with DS who is 9. One of his favorite things about vacation is to have us bring him breakfast in bed and he can watch cartoons, while we enjoy our (usually third) coffees on the balcony. We hate the busy buffet lines and try to go when it's the least busy. DS isn't interested in heading to the buffet as early as I prefer to go to avoid lines and there's no way I'm fighting my way through masses of people for breakfast. His breakfast in bed is a compromise (for my family) as we all enjoy our vacation.

On the flip side, in the evenings, it's nice to enjoy a snack on the balcony and reflect on our day. Evening snacks and a kid's breakfast aren't worth the $7.95 (x2) for me.

DH was excited about trying the Eclipse and we were about to put our deposit on for next winter. However, this new policy was a definite deal breaker for us.

Actually I hope you are better now....after all perhaps you have forgotten that you were the one that began to rant about "its only 50 freaking dollars..." or have you forgotten? Hope you are now breathing better...or your memory has improved.

You are being nonsensical now and have begun to stop paying attention to the conversation and want to be "right" when you have the facts against you.

That still no reason to get upset or outraged. You can still get it for $8. It's free on other cruise lines, yes. You can choose not to cruise NCL for a whole host of reasons: value, enjoyment, family fit, etc. Making such fuss about $8 room service fee is simply without merit.

I am saddened and disappointed with the recent changes NCL has made and the direction that Del Rio appears to be taking NCL. I am upset that they try to explain away their policies because of "health and safety". Tell it to the marines, this sailor isn't buying it.;)

When you pay for your cruise the cost of the food is included....other then the specialty venues. So now they are telling you where you can eat the paid for food. The only reason this is occurring is that they are seeking to get you to pay the room service charge.

My one question is just how many accounts does NCL have on here....I can not believe that so many people on here are defending this nonsense.

I never have taken food back to my room on any cruise that I have taken....this is all about money and that is why I'm unhappy about this.

There are quite a few users on here that are nothing more then NCL shill accounts. You have begun to identify them. You will see them in every single post defending policies even when what they say contradicts previous comments.

6&8

Don't you think a company wants to see a true picture of how their customers feel or do they just want to see those that have an issue with the change. If we only had posts from those that are on one side of this change, it would not give a company a true picture. The voice of the passenger who a policy doesn't affect should be heard just as loud as the passengers who has an issue with a policy.

Since you cruise in suites and can have the Butler deliver whatever you want whenever you want, you're being utterly disingenuous. Of course it doesn't bother you. You claimed you're going to the buffet to have your 3 pm milk and cookies? B.S.! You'll have the Butler deliver them to your suite.

Suite dwellers are vastly overrepresented on CC as compared to steerage customers. No more than 5 percent of pax are in suites, even on the mega-ships. Yet even a cursory glance at postings here shows that a quarter, or more, of CCers routinely cruise in suites.

People can post whatever they wish, of course. But it might help us know who we're talking to if people would post whether they are or are not suite dwellers. Some, of course, we know already.

To the extent that CC is for the benefit of NCL to gauge what its customers are thinking (which is what you imply though hardly what I believe is anywhere close to the mission of these boards), for suite dwellers to gum up comments on room service issues will lead NCL to the wrong conclusions. Steerage customers have been nailed by ALL these recent changes (well, they do get a nickel back on their specialty dining!) while suite customers have been allowed to float above the teeming masses.

So there! :mad::eek::rolleyes::D

There are quite a few users on here that are nothing more then NCL shill accounts. You have begun to identify them. You will see them in every single post defending policies even when what they say contradicts previous comments.

6&8

and I have pretty much blocked them all :D

You are being nonsensical now and have begun to stop paying attention to the conversation and want to be "right" when you have the facts against you.

The facts are against me? As I said.....you were the one that was ranting over 50 freaking dollars...is that or is that fact not correct?? (and yes, I am right about that)

There is possibly another hidden agenda here as well. It takes crew time to clear up the plates etc. left around the ship. Reduce or eliminate this work and you might be able to save on a couple of crew members. Just saying...

I am saddened and disappointed with the recent changes NCL has made and the direction that Del Rio appears to be taking NCL. I am upset that they try to explain away their policies because of "health and safety". Tell it to the marines, this sailor isn't buying it.;)

And that's fine. If you truly think an $8 per service charge is nonsense and unacceptable, it is OK to look elsewhere. That's the beauty of a competitive industry. But bringing a lynch mob for what's essentially a minor (and easily altogether avoidable) charge seems odd to me.

6&8

I wholeheartedly agree!! You could write that the ship was on fire and they'd respond with it was a planned bbq for our convenience.

I think the general intent of the rule is okay and I can understand trying to reduce the volume of trays and food that end up in the passenger cabin areas.

You do realize that NCL does not provide trays in the buffet or their restaurants. So if you've been seeing trays in the hallway, guess where those trays are coming from. (Hint, the initials are R & S)

Now consider that the new room service fee is a one-shot delivery charge. You can get food for thirteen elephants for the $7.95. You don't have to be a genius to see that is almost certainly going to encourage over-ordering (and potentially lead to the exact "health and safety" issues that NCL is allegedly trying to "protect against" with the new policy, with food for later being ordered now so we don't get whacked another $7.95).

In short, there will probably be MORE trays and MORE food left in the hallways.

Anybody who believes that this new policy is anything more than a money grab has to believe that the "convenience fee" was really for our "convenience," too.

What I find interesting is that a lot of the anger about NCL is for two reasons. One is the b.s. that NCL has been spewing, about "convenience" and "passenger health and safety." Nobody REALLY believes that.

The other is that the defenders of NCL on these boards, by actually defending these lame excuses, generate anger back at NCL! I can't really explain how this works, I just know that it's a fact. I have seen it at work on these threads, repeatedly.

Edited by Cruise4Real

I wholeheartedly agree!! You could write that the ship was on fire and they'd respond with it was a planned bbq for our convenience.

Hmmm, not sure who you are referring to. But I'm not defending anything and most certainly expressing my opinion. Just because someone doesn't agree with your outrage does not mean they are working for the line in question.

I have never cruised on NCL and after my upcoming cruise will not again...I will vote with my feet as I have always done.

Money is the basis of this decision. When I booked my cruise there was no charge for room service, and now this. This is beyond a rational decision this sounds like a company facing bankruptcy...

Increasing Mandatory Gratuities

Charging for room service

Policy for where you can eat.

All the incentives for booking cruises.

It adds up to desperate.

Hmmm, not sure who you are referring to. But I'm not defending anything and most certainly expressing my opinion. Just because someone doesn't agree with your outrage does not mean they are working for the line in question.

Funny how you think its you.. outrage? Get over yourself.

Clearly you do not have kids. Eating in the cabin is a necessity with young children in some cases. I find it funny that you dont see how this will effect you so let me help enlighten you. Now that I can not take my meals to go when my kid has a melt down in a specialty I will be forced to stay in the restaurant to eat the meal that I paid extra for instead of taking my meal to go and leaving to the room to comfort him. Before these insane changes I would have made the right choice and thought of everyone and tried to preserve their experience, but NCL has now forced my hand. I have no choice but to stay and potentially effect your enjoyment. This is not what I would prefer to do, but it is what the NCL policy that you think is no big deal that makes it the only choice.

6&8

Amen!

And we don't want others that sail w/o kids, complaint about kids misbehaving, and etc. while eating at Specialty Restaurants. :mad:

Cause, NCL is the one that is creating this MESS.

Oh, for your well-being, convenience.... LOL :D

However, if I awake at 3 AM and I'm hypoglycemic, I'm not going to want to leave my cabin and find my way to wherever the food is, simply because Norwegian has decided I can't take my snacks back to the cabin with me. During a hypoglycemic episode, a person is not usually thinking as clearly as normal and to me, this possible situation is a needless hassle and potential risk. The easier solution for me and my family is to find another cruise line which allows me the convenience I need, because quite frankly, if I am paying to cruise where there is abundant food, I shouldn't still have to tote my own snacks with me.

Yes, I've got to admit this is something I hadn't thought of. I'm also hypoglycemic and if I have a reaction then my thinking becomes fuzzy and my balance very poor. There's no way I could safely make my way to a restaurant and waiting 30 minutes to an hour for room service could mean I black out and am ill for the rest of the day.

That's quite the consequense for my DH not being able to run to the buffet in 10 minutes and bring me the food I need.

Obviously NCL is not thinking through the consequences of their actions/policies.

Because to them its a 'life and death' situation on their balcony/room while to others its a trivial matter. I mean once the a unpopular policy/rule is known, I would think common sense would dictated to reconsider sailing that line or avoid it like the plague - not these folks, they keep sailing it like setting themselves up for abuse they paid for...:rolleyes:

I have never cruised on NCL and after my upcoming cruise will not again...I will vote with my feet as I have always done.

Money is the basis of this decision. When I booked my cruise there was no charge for room service, and now this. This is beyond a rational decision this sounds like a company facing bankruptcy...

Increasing Mandatory Gratuities

Charging for room service

Policy for where you can eat.

All the incentives for booking cruises.

It adds up to desperate.

100% agreed canadianeh934!

NCL is sinking fast! :D