Sail Away Gang - in living Colour - a photo review

1of4

Thank you for letting me know you like the pictures!

We were on our way out of the cathedral ruins when I saw the beautiful flowering bush:

ry%3D400

There were blooms amoung the ruins everywhere!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Remember this picture? Well DH told me a story from the guide that I missed (I am boarder line for requiring hearing aids). He said the Spanish enslaved the Mayans to built the cathedrals. The guide said "as a middle finger salute to the Spanish, the Mayans used their unique angles on top of each pillar" and the Spanish were none the wiser. Just thought I would share.

ry%3D400

We reluctantly left the ruin and started walking....

ry%3D400

we walked only down the street and around the corner...

The cobblestones were still a point of interest for me:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Past more doors and windows that look my fancy

ry%3D400

In single file as that is what the sidewalks allowed

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

and in less than five minutes we were at another park

ry%3D400

If you are able to increase the size of the picture above you will see a man working on restoring the church behind the yellow structure. Look for the round (or is that octagon?) window.

Edited by 1of4

The yellow structure in the last picture is where we were heading:

ry%3D400

Interesting...what could it be...

ry%3D400

But we just have to turn around and there is another church

The traditional community laundry facility and it is still in use by some today

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We kept walking. Everywhere I looked there was something to photograph!

ry%3D400

The picture below was a convent and only the nuns were able to see the inside so the outside wall was built lower to allow everyone could catch a glimpse.

ry%3D400

I loved this window

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Turns out that this is another convent

ry%3D400

Love the pictures!

It's almost like being there.

We contemplated doing a full transit of the Panama Canal, but weren't sure we could handle the heat. Seeing all your wonderful pictures, and reading these threads, we will reconsider.

Thanks everyone.

This was our destination

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Inside the walls

ry%3D400

No pictures allowed inside

Another entrace to the left of the one we came through. We exited via this gate. You can see a volcano in the background.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

There were 3 of these just outside the door

After we left through the gate I turned around and took this picture

ry%3D400

yet another gate

ry%3D400

This row of homes goes right up to the gate we exited through

ry%3D400

Flowers, flowers everywhere!

ry%3D400

We were on our way to have some lunch. It was just coming up to noon and it was the first time that day that I was starting to feel the heat. Being up in the mountains really kept the temperature down.

I will resize some more pitures when I get home....

Yes, it's called a stoop.

Gail, loving your photos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, Mumsysailor,

You are correct, but with one small difference--- I think your spell check probably got in the way here and changed one letter. The holy water vessel is called a "stoup" rather than a "stoop" which is like the small platform at the end of a stairway, doorway or entrance. In fact, my own spell check keeps trying to change it to stomp!!!:)

And to "1 of4"---I too am thoroughly enjoying all the pictures and narrative. I may never get there in person, so love that you are taking us along with you! I also love taking photos of the "details".

Wow, glad I'm British/Canadian and therefore very intelligent:D Hope that comment didn't offend any other North Americans, LOL.

Of course I'm joking. My kids are American bred and born and VERY intelligent.:D Of course it could be that their mother is Canadian:rolleyes:

Edited by nana51

Love the pictures!

It's almost like being there.

We contemplated doing a full transit of the Panama Canal, but weren't sure we could handle the heat. Seeing all your wonderful pictures, and reading these threads, we will reconsider.

Thanks everyone.

I won't lie to you, we live close enough to share the same winter conditions, it is very hot. But that said, I would do it again in a heartbeat! Proper dress and the cooling towels and even a fan make a huge difference. We also drank a lot of water which we carried with us.

Just a few more for today...the 4:00 alarm is killing me!

We had lunch at a place recommended by our guide. Since he grew up in Antigua he knew where to suggest. DD and DS were a bit confused as they had never encountered food being sold this way. Another great learning experience. Since the lunch in Leon was too big we decided to share so not to waste food.

ry%3D400

We ate in a courtyard that was behind the kitchen. It was lovely. We took the opportunity to "trade" money with our tour mates so we would have a few $5 so we could purchase DS his drum.

After lunch we went, because we asked, to a jade shop. This shop also cut and made the items on site. On our way we passed some shops

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

And another ruin of a church

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

To be continued tomorrow....

Getting closer to the highlight of the trip! But first we walked over to the jade place passing many beautiful buildings:

ry%3D400

This is where they caught us up and DS finally got his drum (which he is so proud of he brought it to school the first day back).

As most buildings, the Jade shop was no different and had a stunning inner courtyard.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Edited by 1of4

Sorry, I forgot to include this picture above.

ry%3D400

DS, for the first time all day, wasn't too interested in jade or how it is shaped so he asked if could sit out (and play his drum softly)

ry%3D400

Raw jade before being cut

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

There was a lovely shop.... They had all colours of jade even the elusive lavender jade. Now I know it is not as valuable as green and white jade but it is much rarer. I love purple so DH bought me a small pendant that I love. DD also chose a small necklace with a purple jade and two pink, one on either side on a silver wire. Beautiful. We left the green for onther to purchase.

After leaving the shop we made our way back to the van. I didn't realize until now where we were. I took the following picture of a volcano and now see that we were back at Central Park, right where we started.

ry%3D400

We were soon on our way to the children's school. As we left Antigua the streets once again reminded us we were a long way from home!

Since DD and I were sitting in the back of the van I was able to turn around and take pictures through the back window. The following pictures are from the town where the school is. Please excuse the quality as the van was moving as I took the pictures.

ry%3D400

Some of the streets were impossibly narrow for 2 way traffic. I was very happy I was not driving!

ry%3D400

In no time we arrived and waited for all 3 vans to park. We grabbed our HAL blue bags and we were off. Anticipation was very high!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The teacher first brought us to the building site. They started building a proper school in January. These children would have no school without this couple and now they are going to get a proper school building. If anyone has it in their heart to support this project the contact information is coming up.

ry%3D400

This is the amazing woman who started all this. Although most of us could not understand what she was saying, her pride in seeing this school being built said it all.

ry%3D400

Finally we were off to the current school site which is a dirty courtyard.

There were handicrafts hanging everywhere made by the families of the children and sold to raise money.

ry%3D400

Oh those children! Beautiful, and each with a new pair of sandals on their feet, whether they fit or not, they wore them!

Two children held up a banner with contact information as we settled ourselves on stools.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

They lined up and each introduced themselves and where they were from as each wore the traditional outfit from their Mayan community. I did take pictures of each one (are you surprised) but I am only posting a few here.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

After the introductions the children performed 4 traditional dances for us.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Don't you just love the little guy in the back? He plays a huge role in DD's experiece of this trip after the dances. I will show you in a minute. First, back to the dances:

ry%3D400

Planting corn

ry%3D400