how does the room safe get locked?

catspaw1

I don't remember if it was on the Celebrity board or the Princess board but someone started a thread a while back stating that her phone was stolen out of her room. She was able to track down the staff member because every picture he took was transferred to her computer. She got some great pictures of what happens behind the scenes at parties when the staff has time off. The Captain even was in attendance. She was able to get her phone back. I'm sure that was a rare case but it can happen.

Interesting!

I remember a thread some time back where someone posted about something that had been taken from their room and they concluded it must have been a member of staff. What followed was a trial by forum where several people concluded they were either making it up or were mistaken as staff were too honest, have too much to lose by taking stuff from cabins and that they, as regular cruisers, had never experienced such crime and therefore it was unlikely to be true.

If it were true that crime was never committed because people have too much to lose then there would be no serious crime in the world, particularly where they hang, fry, poison or gas those convicted of serious crimes.

Edited by DYKWIA

Thanks everyone for the helpful hints. As to the suggestion that people don't trust the Marriott that is simply untrue. We are lifetime platinum members & have never had anything taken. The only thing we leave out there would be a laptop & phones charging but we generally try to put them away as much as possible. Temptation is not good for many people so I just like to keep things out of site. We leave 2 weeks from today.

Thanks everyone for the helpful hints. As to the suggestion that people don't trust the Marriott that is simply untrue. We are lifetime platinum members & have never had anything taken.

I am lifetime platinum at Marriott also. I agree it is a fine company. That said, I still take reasonable, common sense precautions while staying there.

Perhaps you know a Marriott maintenance man murdered a guest (in their room) some years back?

Crime can happen anywhere, any time. No need to be paranoid, but also don't be naive.

Edited by Nachosdelux

Thanks everyone for the helpful hints. As to the suggestion that people don't trust the Marriott that is simply untrue. We are lifetime platinum members & have never had anything taken. The only thing we leave out there would be a laptop & phones charging but we generally try to put them away as much as possible. Temptation is not good for many people so I just like to keep things out of site. We leave 2 weeks from today.

I am just a little curious here --- Marriott is a fine corporation, but why would their staff be more trustworthy than cruise ship workers? Not trying to be snarky, just honestly wondering.

I don't remember if it was on the Celebrity board or the Princess board but someone started a thread a while back stating that her phone was stolen out of her room. She was able to track down the staff member because every picture he took was transferred to her computer. She got some great pictures of what happens behind the scenes at parties when the staff has time off. The Captain even was in attendance. She was able to get her phone back. I'm sure that was a rare case but it can happen.

I am pretty sure that was a Disney ship. Can't fix stupid lol

we had a friend who lost her camera on a cruise- she thinks the steward took it but not sure. We have traveled all over the world & frankly don't leave valuables out. In the US maybe I leave my laptop out but we only stay in Marriott hotels- never anything else. Too much temptation so why chance it? That's why we have portable combination locks. We lived abroad for 7 years in some third world countries also- we have never had anything stolen but we always take precautions. Maybe I am just paranoid.

Do you really think a Cabin Steward would jeopardize his/her job over a camera? People are so quick to judge them. JMHO...

Do you really think a Cabin Steward would jeopardize his/her job over a camera? People are so quick to judge them. JMHO...

Judging by the story earlier about the photos on the stolen phone being sent back to the owner's PC - there's at least one.

People are the same the world over - a small percentage will be bad eggs who haven't got found out yet. As I said earlier people commit crimes the world over where the risk and subsequent punishment is greater than losing your job / not having a contract renewed. The mistake we make is that we think everyone makes the same rational decisions we make - they don't always.

Additionally people may care less about losing their job if they've got a promise of different job next month and are working their notice.

Edited by DYKWIA

... As to the suggestion that people don't trust the Marriott that is simply untrue...

Excuse me? I said, or implied, that I don't trust the Marriott and you are telling me I lied? Well, as it happens, I was not lying, I do not trust the staff in Marriott. Or Hyatt or Hilton or any other mega-chain factory hotel. The staff in such places, apart from the managers of course, will tend to be minimum wage itinerant workers who are much more likely to yield to the temptation of a wallet or purse or camera or iPad than are the cruise ship staff who have made a career of this work. One of many reasons why I would far rather stay in a small family-run boutique hotel.

I am more concerned about passengers walking by a propped open cabin doors and spotting something that they could quickly grab than the room stewards. I personally am uncomfortable with that practice but it is done. We always just put things out of sight.

There have been posts that when it is reported that something goes missing that the stewards rooms are searched. Humiliating to say the least. We gave our wonderful Butler a iPod dock that we weren't using to give to his two girls. He reported it to his supervisor and then came back and asked us to write a note to state that it was a gift.

I can absolutely answer that question yes. No one thinks the staff would take anything, until they do. I felt that way for years.

My last cruise, on disembarkation day after we had breakfast, came back to room, got ready to go to disembark lounge, couldn't find my sunglasses($300 Maui Jims). After searching and not being able to find them, I contacted steward, he helped me look and talked to his assistant and another worker. I knew exactly where I left them, on the shelf, behind a rail (S Class). Sunglasses are important to me and I always keep track of where mine are.

I mentioned I really didn't want to get security involved but I'm afraid we'll have to. Steward left and in a few minutes came back to help me look more.(through carry ons, under beds etc. In a couple of minutes the assistant and other worker came in and excitedly told me & the steward they "found" them in the garbage can down the hall.

I'm sure there are many here that won't believe this, or think I somehow contributed to them being in the trash. They would be absolutely 100% wrong. In the past I've read similar stories and had doubts myself, not anymore.

I got my sunglasses back, and hopefully scared the responsible parties enough that they wouldn't attempt it again. I didn't pursue it any further that day as I had things to do and places to be.

Needless to say there was no tip left for the room attendants.

PS, this was the last cruise of his contract. He was going home that day. I don't know if he was coming back or not. Hopefully not.

Edited by ORV

You enter a four digit number. The directions are posted at the safe. They are not very large, but may be able to hold what you mention depending on the size of the DSL camera.

Note: Security can open the safe without knowing your code. On some cabins on some M Class ships they need to drill the safe to open without combination.

Recently on the Millennium, our safe had provisions for credit card swipe or six digit code.

The credit card swipe function had been disabled and the slot covered with a label leaving a six digit code as the only option. Our stateroom attendant told us that the ship had safes with both four digit configuration and six digit configuration.

If you can't open your safe, they send both a security guard with the master passcode and a witness to open the safe.

NO! I never said you lied at all. You misinterpreted what I said. I said I have not heard of theft in any Marriots we have been too & since we are lifetime platinum you know that has been a lot. I never heard of the maintenance man attacking staff either.

I used to work for DHS as you all have probably figured out by now & yes they make us paranoid about a lot of things but I have been much more alert about things since I worked there.

I think the whole point of this post is we all need to be more vigilant about security of our things- temptation is never good. Personally I could never steal something as that is not the way I was raised. However, having lived abroad for over 7 years in many third world countries, many people see us as rich and that we can do without things when they can't even afford to put food on the table. I know as they have told me this! Some countries I have been too don't to anything about theft to tourists as we just leave the country & why bother. So the tourist theft continues as they know they can get away with it.

I used to ride NYC subways for over 25 years back when things were not so good & never ever had a problem. But I am always alert- crime can happen anywhere!

So as they used to say on Hill St Blues- stay safe out there!

....Some countries I have been too don't to anything about theft to tourists as we just leave the country & why bother. So the tourist theft continues as they know they can get away with it.

Spain, for example. Barcelona and Malaga are notorious, but other Spanish cities and resorts are getting bad. The Police they have set a limit financial limits below which they will not follow up. It has effectively made it open season on tourists. My Father has been robbed 3 times and had at least 4 other attempt of theft from his person in the last 5 years.

In Lisbon last year several cruise passengers were robbed during our day there.

hi All we leave in 2 weeks aboard the Summit. Question: How does the safe lock? Do we enter our own combination? If so how many digits? Or use a credit card to open it? How much stuff can you fit in there? Would a DSL camera, point & shoot camera, cell phones, wallets , passports & money be too much?

We have put all of these items in the safe...along with a tablet. And yes, you enter your own combination. The DSL camera will fit with a 35-50mm lens, but probably not with a telephoto lens on it.

We have put all of these items in the safe...along with a tablet. And yes, you enter your own combination. The DSL camera will fit with a 35-50mm lens, but probably not with a telephoto lens on it.

We put items that we will not be needing until the end of the cruise in the safe. This includes passports, money, cell phones, iPad, and a MacBook. We leave our cameras out in order to charge them.

Remember to check what four digit combination you have entered on the digital display. Each time you lock the safe, you actually enter a new combination to lock it. And you need that same combination to unlock it!

We don't carry a lot of expensive electronics, so the safe is plenty spacious for our needs. However, if we had something larger that we wanted to secure, we would just store it in our locked suitcase, under the bed. :cool:

thats what we do in most places.. not just on a cruise. if they want the things that desperately they are willing to lug my suitcase away too, then go for it!:D

You enter a four digit number. The directions are posted at the safe. They are not very large, but may be able to hold what you mention depending on the size of the DSL camera.

Note: Security can open the safe without knowing your code. On some cabins on some M Class ships they need to drill the safe to open without combination.

As someone who has usually to go to GR on a couple of occasions to get replacement seapass cards I would find having to remember combinations rather irksome.:cool: :confused: Anyway leave the Boss Lady to things like that

I discovered my iPhone was missing one day. Couldnt remember when I last had it so sort of retraced my steps. I had dined in Tuscan previous evening. Went down and asked "dont suppose anyone found an iPhone in here , not sure but I might have left it whilst dining last night". " I believe one was found and taken to Guest Relations"

It turned out someone had found it whilst setting up the Tables, as it had got lodged down side of the Chair. The Staff could easily have pocketed it.

Other posts seem to imply that Staff could be tempted. Not in my experience and we leave laptops, iphones, ipods , cameras on charge in the Cabin all the time .

I am a tad uncomfortable with this lack of trust of the Cabin Staff.

I debated whether to respond, but no one mentioned that the original posters comment about losing her key card if that was used for the safe would then allow someone to get in their cabin and safe. Cabin numbers aren't on key cards so someone would have to try a lot of cabins for this to work before you reported it lost and had it deactivated.

We use the safe, more conservatively at the beginning of the cruise, and then get lazy as cruises go on, after two weeks or more in a cabin with the same attendants I guess we get complacent. The difference I find between a cruise ship and a hotel, and I stay in a lot of hotels (92 Marriot nights this year alone plus many more nights in other hotels already) is that:

1. I usually never see me room attendant in a hotel and they often change daily, on a cruise ship we meet and have the same staff all cruise.

2. Hotel staff can go home with anything they take. On a cruise ship, except on the last day, they'll be easy to find, and if there is a report of stolen property, there are only so many places for them to hide it. They also need to sell it from the ship, or get it home in their one bag. It wouldn't pay to ship stolen property by post.

All this being said, I have read reports, including one here regarding missing cash which were believable. In my opinion cash and small jewelry would be the most likely targets of theft for reasons stated above.

Happy sailing,

Jenna