Shorts in Dinning Room for dinner

[quote name='American Bear']You, and yours would be welcome at my MDR table anytime.:)[/QUOTE]

Would be fun, you could sit together and judge all the other childish and uninteresting people whose vacations you fantasize that you're ruining by your mere presence. Fun times. :D

[quote name='Paul65']Seems you resort to the same kind of tactics you're describing. Someone thinks differently than you, so you apparently have a need to throw around name-calling, insults, and implications about them. :cool:[/QUOTE]

But yet you didnt called out the drama where one person said our society is deteriorating and called people narcissistic trolls? :rolleyes:

Why is that Paul? Because you agree with them? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Paul65']Oh goody. Here's another person who took that same analogy about a "rules don't apply to me" attitude, over-analyzed it to pretend it meant the two rules were equivalent, thereby making an easy straw man argument, then followed with a red herring, pretending the person's vacation was "ruined" and what other people chose to wear had "power and control" over them.

Bravo at your excellent depictions of logical fallacies. :cool:[/quote]

I simply stated that no one should hand me enough power to ruin their vacation by wearing shorts on one evening. Yes, there is certainly some over-analyzing going on. I too hope your afternoon is better than your morning.

Best-

Steve

[quote name='PhDUnderTheSea']I assure you I am not a "miserable human being in daily life" because I chose to wear shorts one night to dinner on my Caribbean vacation. I am amazed someone would post such nonsense as your message although I do agree, *some* people here have absolutely terrible attitudes. Maybe your afternoon will be better than your morning today.

Best-

Steve[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://dontbubble.us/images/like.png[/IMG]

[quote name='American Bear']You, and yours would be welcome at my MDR table anytime.:)[/quote]

Maybe you saw our ladies in their short skirts and are keen to have us around? :D. Sounds like your morning is going fine, but have a great afternoon too!

Best-

Steve

I simply stated that no one should hand me enough power to ruin their vacation by wearing shorts on one evening. Yes, there is certainly some over-analyzing going on. I too hope your afternoon is better than your morning.

Best-

Steve

Right. And I was applauding your red herring, since no one was talking about ruined vacations. I'm having a lovely morning, by the way.

Would be fun, you could sit together and judge all the other childish and uninteresting people whose vacations you fantasize that you're ruining by your mere presence. Fun times. :D

No interest in doing any of that. I don't waste time on such nonsense and child like antics. More interested in the food and travel mates. Have read some of your posts, can't honestly decipher which side of things you are on, if your posts are tongue in cheek, or you just enjoy arguing different positions.

Best-

Steve

But yet you didnt called out the drama where one person said our society is deteriorating and called people narcissistic trolls? :rolleyes:

Why is that Paul? Because you agree with them? :rolleyes:

Nah. PhD guy already responded to that. I didn't think he needed any help.

Because it's all about ME! ;);)

:rolleyes:.

This makes me laugh also every time I read it. you're implying, that the person attempting to make everyone conform is not "all about me"? It would seem that since these people are the ones kicking screaming and whining about how poorly everyone else is behaving, that they are the very definition of the "me" crowd.

No interest in doing any of that. I don't waste time on such nonsense and child like antics. More interested in the food and travel mates. Have read some of your posts, can't honestly decipher which side of things you are on, if your posts are tongue in cheek, or you just enjoy arguing different positions.

Best-

Steve

I see folks like you sometimes getting a little over the top in your high-and-mighty positions, talking as if you're better than others, because you don't let what other people do "ruin your vacation" and such. I like to think that I am pointing out some of the hypocrisy that runs rampant in discussions, but I doubt it's very effective. Some people use hyperbole to describe those who would wear shorts; you use hyperbole to describe those who think you shouldn't, if the published guidelines say they are not appropriate. Most, as you seem to be here, just come off confused, if they can't pigeon-hole someone as being either a fashion-police busybody or a rules-don't-apply-to-me narcissist.

My personal feeling is that, if they say no shorts for evening in the dining room, then people should respect that. It doesn't mean that I go checking people's clothing and get upset, if I see someone breaking or bending the rules. It's just my opinion. No meal, much less a whole vacation, has ever, even once, been "ruined" by what someone else chose to wear.

Edited by Paul65

My last cruise I saw short on formal night. Casual nights people took it very seriously they were more than casual. I will go

More relaxed on my last cruise.

I still don't understand how people get stopped because they don't follow the recommended attire. Once those door are open everyone get in like cows and there is always a door with a captain on it so no one is stopping anyone

Why is it so hard for adults to act like adults? Long Khaki pants or jeans are not uncomfortable when worn with a nice loose fitting button down shirt, or a polo shirt. What is the difference?

Yes, people do get turned away. Some do slip by. But seriously, you are adults, why should a fashion police be needed at the front door. As Adults you should be respectful.

LIKE!

We were on a MSC Divina cruise recently and the daytime attire of the people relaxing in the lounges on the sea days was far better than the dinner attire of those on RCCL, NCL, X, and even HAL. Probably because it was full of Europeans who seem to know how to dress effortlessly. Even DH noticed it and he is not into fashion. Why do we insist on lowering our standards? Comfort can also look nice!

Edited by DebJ14

Why is it so hard for adults to act like adults? Long Khaki pants or jeans are not uncomfortable when worn with a nice loose fitting button down shirt, or a polo shirt. What is the difference?

Yes, people do get turned away. Some do slip by. But seriously, you are adults, why should a fashion police be needed at the front door. As Adults you should be respectful.

LIKE!

We were on a MSC Divina cruise recently and the daytime attire of the people relaxing in the lounges was far better than the dinner attire of those on RCCL, NCL, X, and even HAL. (I won't even bring Carnival onto the list since the dinner attire on CCL has slipped so much. ) Probably because the Divina was full of Europeans who seem to know how to dress effortlessly. Even DH noticed it and he is not into fashion. Why do we insist on lowering our standards? Comfortable clothes can also look nice!

Saw a guy coming to work in shorts and a tank top. And it wasn't even casual day. You start letting the rules slide and it all goes down the tank eventually.

Melissa

Absolutely! The company my DS works for has gone back to requiring dress shirts and ties everyday in the office because so many people abused the casual dress. Women may wear suitable dresses, dress slacks or skirts with a nice top. If you have a meeting with someone form another company at least a sport coat is also required. It went downhill from Dockers and Polo shirts to jeans and then sweatpants and flip flops.

I think short shorts and hairy underarms in a vest top are great! .................. when you are walking around poolside or maybe even grabbing a snack at the windjammer.

But - I don't want the bare backs of sweaty thighs on the nice fabric chairs that I might then be expected to sit on the night after in my nice dresses.

Flame away. I dont care.

I hope we are on the same cruise. Since it is my cruise, not only am I planning on wearing what I want no matter what, I am going to chair hog, get on the elevator without letting anyone off, (not letting anyone in walkers or wheelchairs go first ), cut the line in the Windjammer, save lots of seats in the theater , get one drink package for the two of us, smoke on my balcony and bring my service pig. I don't have kids at home but I sm thinking I might rent a few to do cannonballs in the solarium pools, push all the elevator numbers with sticky ice cream hands, cry in specialty restaurants and run amuck through the ship. I will have those kids knock on all the doors at night and change the room service tags.

Why not? It's my cruise!

Exactly RIGHT! As for the other 3000 or so people on the cruise? It's not THEIR cruise too; just YOURS!!!! So wear and do whatever you want!!

I'm pretty new to all this. and as such didn't realize this could be such a hot topic. I don't plan on wearing shorts, and just assumed everyone else wouldn't be either, while in the MDR for dinner. Since there are other casual eateries on the ship, why would someone wanting to dress down not go there instead? I heard a lot of 'its my cruise' thrown about, but it is other's as well. Many of us appreciate the aesthetics and atmosphere that has been put together for the MDR. After a full day of being inundated with tank tops, swimsuits and shorts, a nice evening without such is very appealing. Now, what you're saying is I'm out of luck.

The sense of selfishness and entitlement in today's society is certainly no surprise, so I'm not sure why this should be either. At least now I can go in w/o the shock factor. Its less about the shorts than the grimy tank tops, anyway....sigh...