Shorts in Dinning Room for dinner

Hello Everyone. I was wondering if I could wear shorts in the dining room for dinner on non-formal nights. I plan on wearing khaki shorts and sometimes black jeans shorts or is it always long pants in the dining room.

Thanks ahead time

Pants are completely optional.

Don't count on this. With the exception of embarkation day, Royal's dining dress code (as listed in daily Cruise Compass you'll find in your cabin) states hats, shorts, tank tops and flip flops are not permitted in the dining room. Now...have we been on cruises where folks have pushed their luck and made it into the MDR in shorts? Sure. Have we seen people turned away? Yup. Pack some pants just in case they're diligently enforcing it on your ship. Also be prepared for much discussion on this topic. ;) Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by 1ParticularHbr

Hello Everyone. I was wondering if I could wear shorts in the dining room for dinner on non-formal nights. I plan on wearing khaki shorts and sometimes black jeans shorts or is it always long pants in the dining room.

Thanks ahead time

The rule has generally been no shorts in the MDR in the evening, though there are mixed reports on whether that is still a rule (and it was not strictly enforced before, anyway, for those who don't really care if it's a rule or not).

I can tell you that on my recent Serenade cruise, the Cruise Compass still said that shorts were not permitted for dinner in the MDR or specialty restaurants.

Just forwarded this thread to all members of my party on our upcoming cruise next week. We've been debating this since last week.

Thank you for pointing it out in cruise compass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most folks dress well in the MDR. I personally wear shorts every night, yes, even on formal evenings. Never had a problem or a comment from the staff.

It's your vacation, be yourself & enjoy.

Warmest Regards,

fmhealth

Edited by fmhealth

Lots of shorts in the MDR this last cruise I was on. Even on formal night. Worst will happen is you get asked to go change although that's highly unlikely

Edited by ryano

It's clearly stated that shorts are ok for breakfast and lunch but not for dinner. There is usually a sign at the entrance to the MDR. It's posted in the Cruise Compass. Can you ignore the dress code (this part isn't "suggested")? Sure. But why not just wear pants and a collared shirt like stated? It's the stated rules, just go with it.

Last month on Liberty, we were almost knocked over on the way into the MDR by a man in shorts and a tank top. He was storming off while giving the double bird to the staff that turned him away! :eek::D:D

I know, I know...the OP isn't planning on wearing a tank top (most likely;)), but this thread made me think of that moment all over again.:)

Sweat pants are not unusual in the MDR nowadays .Wear what you want .It's your cruise .It others have a problem its their problem

I hope we are on the same cruise. Since it is my cruise, not only am I planning on wearing what I want no matter what, I am going to chair hog, get on the elevator without letting anyone off, (not letting anyone in walkers or wheelchairs go first ), cut the line in the Windjammer, save lots of seats in the theater , get one drink package for the two of us, smoke on my balcony and bring my service pig. I don't have kids at home but I sm thinking I might rent a few to do cannonballs in the solarium pools, push all the elevator numbers with sticky ice cream hands, cry in specialty restaurants and run amuck through the ship. I will have those kids knock on all the doors at night and change the room service tags.

Why not? It's my cruise!

I hope we are on the same cruise. Since it is my cruise, not only am I planning on wearing what I want no matter what, I am going to chair hog, get on the elevator without letting anyone off, (not letting anyone in walkers or wheelchairs go first ), cut the line in the Windjammer, save lots of seats in the theater , get one drink package for the two of us, smoke on my balcony and bring my service pig. I don't have kids at home but I sm thinking I might rent a few to do cannonballs in the solarium pools, push all the elevator numbers with sticky ice cream hands, cry in specialty restaurants and run amuck through the ship. I will have those kids knock on all the doors at night and change the room service tags.

Why not? It's my cruise!

You forgot single rings on all the telephones at night and door bells on the suites.

We often see shorts in the MDR. We sometimes see people turned away. Those are facts. Anything else I might say on the subject would be my opinion.;) I wear shorts on a cruise a lot, but not at night in the MDR.

I wore shorts and a tank top on all non-formal nights on the Oasis for the April 25th, 2015 cruise. I never had anyone mention anything to me. The way I view it is that I have to wear dress pants/shirt/tie for work most days, so if I am on vacation I want to be comfortable.

I would have wore shorts and a tank top for formal night but my girlfriend wouldn't let me. Three years ago when I went with my guy friends on the Allure, they did not say anything to us when we wore shorts and tanktops to formal nights. I guess it depends on the staff that are there.

Why not? It's my cruise!

Wearing shorts in the MDR doesn't effect anybody else. All of your "examples" above does. Apples and oranges.

Wearing shorts in the MDR doesn't effect anybody else. All of your "examples" above does. Apples and oranges.

Exactly!

I have never worn shorts to the MDR at dinner and do not intend to start, but in no way am I impacted by someone who does. I am too busy enjoying a nice dinner with me darling wife to worry about what someone else wears. There seems to be way too many folks worrying about other people's business.

I wore shorts and a tank top on all non-formal nights on the Oasis for the April 25th, 2015 cruise. I never had anyone mention anything to me. The way I view it is that I have to wear dress pants/shirt/tie for work most days, so if I am on vacation I want to be comfortable.

I would have wore shorts and a tank top for formal night but my girlfriend wouldn't let me. Three years ago when I went with my guy friends on the Allure, they did not say anything to us when we wore shorts and tanktops to formal nights. I guess it depends on the staff that are there.

Nothing personal, but I sure have no desire to sit anywhere near you. Don't get too upset, I know it's "your cruise," but it's my cruise too. And on "my cruise," having a guy in a tank top in a dining room is just not appetizing to me. So hopefully while you enjoy "your cruise" in a tank top in the MDR I'll still be able to enjoy "my cruise." Should it bother me? No. Does it? Yes. Who is right? Well, according to the Dress Code, looks like I am. Sorry... you lose.

Now, if you are a hot girl with a dynamite body, forget everything I just said.

My Cruise Compass from our Allure sailing on April 19 says, and I quote:

"Tonight's Dinner Dress SUGGESTION - Casual. Please note that bare feet, short pants, caps & tank tops are not RECOMMENDED in the Dining Rooms or any of our Specialty Restaurants."

Emphasis added by me.

My Cruise Compass from our Allure sailing on April 19 says, and I quote:

"Tonight's Dinner Dress SUGGESTION - Casual. Please note that bare feet, short pants, caps & tank tops are not RECOMMENDED in the Dining Rooms or any of our Specialty Restaurants."

Emphasis added by me.

Sort of goes along with what I said initially, that it's a mixed bag right now. Our Serenade cruise in April had a similar statement in the Cruise Compass, but instead of "not RECOMMENDED" it said "not PERMITTED."

hope some people have there anti seizure medicine when reading this thread, lol.. they will be appealed that your not wearing a tux

Nothing personal, but I sure have no desire to sit anywhere near you. Don't get too upset, I know it's "your cruise," but it's my cruise too. And on "my cruise," having a guy in a tank top in a dining room is just not appetizing to me. So hopefully while you enjoy "your cruise" in a tank top in the MDR I'll still be able to enjoy "my cruise." Should it bother me? No. Does it? Yes. Who is right? Well, according to the Dress Code, looks like I am. Sorry... you lose.

Now, if you are a hot girl with a dynamite body, forget everything I just said.

im sorry, but someone in a tank top will take away from your cruise experience. im assuming you'll be staring at him the whole time, thats the only way you would notice him right?

Why is it so hard for adults to act like adults? Long Khaki pants or jeans are not uncomfortable when worn with a nice loose fitting button down shirt, or a polo shirt. What is the difference?

Yes, people do get turned away. Some do slip by. But seriously, you are adults, why should a fashion police be needed at the front door. As Adults you should be respectful.