Shorts in Dinning Room for dinner

[quote name='FLACRUISER99']Put me in the group that thinks you should dress neatly. What difference does it make if you wear shorts? In many nice restaurants that are in the area of Florida that I'm from, shorts are perfectly acceptable.[/QUOTE]

Then go to those restaurants. On this cruise line they are not considered perfectly acceptable.

[quote name='American Bear']Because interpretations of what makes an adult, or what is respectful can be different.
And with acceptable dress in the MDR, its up to RCL to make that determination on their ship.:)[/QUOTE]

I think that's the point that was being made, though. RCL made that determination, yet plenty of people want to do it their way, anyway.

Of course, as you say, interpretations can be different. Some don't consider a sign on the door or a sentence in the Cruise Compass to be enough to indicate they've made a determination. But I think you can probably understand why others would think the "adult" and "respectful" thing to do would be to follow what is posted, rather than do whatever you want, as long as nobody stops you, even if you disagree.

[quote name='soccerdad72']It's a "Greatest Hits" sort of day on CC - between this thread, the water dispenser thread and the drink package thread, there's all sorts of fun to be had today. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Now we really need a tipping thread to make this Greatest Hits day complete :)

[quote name='FLACRUISER99']Put me in the group that thinks you should dress neatly. What difference does it make if you wear shorts? In many nice restaurants that are in the area of Florida that I'm from, shorts are perfectly acceptable.[/QUOTE]

Not just in Florida, nearly everywhere.

[quote name='papaflamingo']nothing personal, but i sure have no desire to sit anywhere near you. Don't get too upset, i know it's "your cruise," but it's my cruise too. And on "my cruise," having a guy in a tank top in a dining room is just not appetizing to me. So hopefully while you enjoy "your cruise" in a tank top in the mdr i'll still be able to enjoy "my cruise." should it bother me? No. Does it? Yes. Who is right? Well, according to the dress code, looks like i am. Sorry... You lose.
[b]now, if you are a hot girl with a dynamite body, forget everything i just said.[/b][/quote]

lol!

[quote name='ryano']Ha ha ha, leave it up to you to stretch things and get that out of what he posted. I could be wrong but I think the point the OP was trying to make is that comparing wearing shorts in the MDR to someone driving down the wrong side of the road is about like comparing apples to footballs. Driving down the wrong side of the road endangers others. Wearing shorts in a dining room does not. Why can you not see that?

Seriously, its absolutely hilarious so many get their undies in a wad over what others wear LOL.

The bottom line is shorts are becoming more and more common in the MDR on any night. [B]While I would NEVER wear shorts in the MDR, I could not care less if others do.[/B] Maybe those that are upset need to go find another cruise line instead of telling the shorts wearers to go to the Windjammer.

Obviously RCI no longer cares.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I never wear shorts in the MDR but I could care less nor look down on those that do.

[quote name='Havingfun2010']Why is it so hard for adults to act like adults? Long Khaki pants or jeans are not uncomfortable when worn with a nice loose fitting button down shirt, or a polo shirt. What is the difference?

Yes, people do get turned away. Some do slip by. But seriously, you are adults, why should a fashion police be needed at the front door. As Adults you should be respectful.[/QUOTE]

This made me laugh out loud. I am forever amazed that some people refuse to grow up and act like adults also, What reasonable adult would spend any energy worrying about what others are wearing?

[quote name='arendale1']When posters are saying 'tank top' what do they mean?
Is it a woollen sleeveless jumper, or a vest type garment (sleeveless tshirt with a large area of armpit on show)?
I'm just having trouble imaging people wearing the former with a pair of shorts, but that is what is known as a tank top in the UK. :confused:[/quote]

This
[IMG]http://juan.linkko.com/sites/default/files/IMG_9473.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='American Bear']Since when?
They have been acceptable on every non-holiday RCL cruise I've been on![/QUOTE]

Then they need to update the published attire requirements. People refer to that when they book.

[quote name='Sitzmark']This made me laugh out loud. I am forever amazed that some people refuse to grow up and act like adults also, What reasonable adult would spend any energy worrying about what others are wearing?[/QUOTE]

Very well-said!

[quote name='arendale1']When posters are saying 'tank top' what do they mean?
Is it a woollen sleeveless jumper, or a vest type garment (sleeveless tshirt with a large area of armpit on show)?
I'm just having trouble imaging people wearing the former with a pair of shorts, but that is what is known as a tank top in the UK. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Tank top is a sleeveless shirt...usually made some sort of knit fabric (like tee shirt fabric). If it is well fitting, there shouldn't be an armpit hole larger than what comfortably accommodates your arm. Often though, you might see an undergarment at the arm pit, across the back (especially if it is a racerback style), and at the shoulders. Usually, it is the glimpses of the undergarment that make tank tops so unacceptable in a venue where dressing nicer is the norm.

At least for women...for men, many people get offended by the show of body hair. Though it strikes me that the same might be said for any "all-natural" woman that doesn't shave.

I believe we would call a UK tank top, the woolen sleeveless jumper, a "sweater vest" in the States.

[quote name='rollingstone']OK, you are going on a cruise. The rules say to wear certain clothes on certain days. You decide that it is your cruise so you don't do this.
You are driving down a road. The sign says not to enter because it is a one way street. You decide that this is your road ( paid by your taxes) so you enter anyway.
My point is that you know what is expected of you before the cruise. If you do not agree with the rules, why even go?[/quote]

If that was the point you intended to make, your analogy was illogical and not appropriate. One could potentially impact health and safety (your own, or others). One is about what to wear on vacation. They really aren't the same order of importance and suggest you do not make silly comparisons if wish to be taken seriously on your point.

On Allure in February we saw men and women some nights in shorts. A-OK with us. Wear a suit nearly every single day that I am not on vacation and much of that is spent traveling and living out of a suitcase. This is for work within professional organizations and circles, and is how I make a living.

Do confess, our party was all casual one evening; men in shorts, women in short skirts. Enjoyed ourselves immensely and not a single issue. We were in khaki shorts with collared polo shirts and appropriate footwear. It was very much nice resort casual. We are all professionals and adults and as such can make our own decisions. I do not sail on cruise lines that require us to participate in fashion shows in order to receive the dining experience we have paid for.

I apologize if our nice resort casual wear one evening on vacation ruined yours, but you really shouldn't allow others to have that sort of power and control over you.

Best-

Steve

This thread is a bit sad. It really shows how society in general continues to deteriorate over the years and I am not even what most people consider old at 41. Why do people feel they are entitled to do whatever the heck they want whenever they want just because it pleases them only? OP, I am not talking to you here either. You asked a question which is what this board is intended for. This message is for the narcissistic people who are trolling the rest of the people in this thread saying they will dress however they please whenever they please. Those people disgust me and have to be simply miserable human beings in their daily lives. If you want to wear shorts at dinner, then by all means go to any restaurant on the ship that you wish with the exception of a specialty restaurant or the MDR which specifically state that is not acceptable attire. That is not quite good enough for you though is it? Nope, you are on vacation and deserve to dress however you want right? What an absolutely terrible attitude some of you people have.

[quote name='Paul65']I think that's the point that was being made, though. RCL made that determination, yet plenty of people want to do it their way, anyway.

Of course, as you say, interpretations can be different. Some don't consider a sign on the door or a sentence in the Cruise Compass to be enough to indicate they've made a determination. But I think you can probably understand why others would think the "adult" and "respectful" thing to do would be to follow what is posted, rather than do whatever you want, as long as nobody stops you, even if you disagree.[/QUOTE]

I understand that RCL rarely enforce their dress suggestions, and that irritates people here for some reason, so they resort to statements like 'act like an adult', 'grow up', etc., which makes them seem very childish!:eek:
It seems these upset childish people want to enforce RCL's dress suggestions even when RCL refuses to.
I can't imagine why these childish people would want to take on RCL's job of enforcing their rules, suggestions etc., perhaps their dining partners are boring.:eek:
Personally I don't let how others dress affect my dinner, my focus is on my wife, and enjoying our dinner.:D

[quote name='PhDUnderTheSea']I apologize if our nice resort casual wear one evening on vacation ruined yours, but you really shouldn't allow others to have that sort of power and control over you.
[/QUOTE]

Oh goody. Here's another person who took that same analogy about a "rules don't apply to me" attitude, over-analyzed it to pretend it meant the two rules were equivalent, thereby making an easy straw man argument, then followed with a red herring, pretending the person's vacation was "ruined" and what other people chose to wear had "power and control" over them.

Bravo at your excellent depictions of logical fallacies. :cool:

[quote name='voyager70']This
[IMG]http://juan.linkko.com/sites/default/files/IMG_9473.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Ah, that's what we call a vest top - thanks for clearing that up lol!

Traitional Brit summer wear for the beach - not particularly attractive when dining though. ;)

[quote name='WhenIsLobsterNight'] Why do people feel they are entitled to do whatever the heck they want whenever they want just because it pleases them only?[/quote]

Because it's all about [I][B]ME[/B][/I]! ;);)

:rolleyes:.

[quote name='American Bear']I understand that RCL rarely enforce their dress suggestions, and that irritates people here for some reason, so they resort to statements like 'act like an adult', 'grow up', etc., which makes them seem very childish!:eek:
It seems these upset childish people want to enforce RCL's dress suggestions even when RCL refuses to.
I can't imagine why these childish people would want to take on RCL's job of enforcing their rules, suggestions etc., perhaps their dining partners are boring.:eek:
Personally I don't let how others dress affect my dinner, my focus is on my wife, and enjoying our dinner.:D[/QUOTE]

Seems you resort to the same kind of tactics you're describing. Someone thinks differently than you, so you apparently have a need to throw around name-calling, insults, and implications about them. :cool:

[quote name='PhDUnderTheSea']If that was the point you intended to make, your analogy was illogical and not appropriate. One could potentially impact health and safety (your own, or others). One is about what to wear on vacation. They really aren't the same order of importance and suggest you do not make silly comparisons if wish to be taken seriously on your point.

On Allure in February we saw men and women some nights in shorts. A-OK with us. Wear a suit nearly every single day that I am not on vacation and much of that is spent traveling and living out of a suitcase. This is for work within professional organizations and circles, and is how I make a living.

Do confess, our party was all casual one evening; men in shorts, women in short skirts. Enjoyed ourselves immensely and not a single issue. We were in khaki shorts with collared polo shirts and appropriate footwear. It was very much nice resort casual. We are all professionals and adults and as such can make our own decisions. I do not sail on cruise lines that require us to participate in fashion shows in order to receive the dining experience we have paid for.

I apologize if our nice resort casual wear one evening on vacation ruined yours, but you really shouldn't allow others to have that sort of power and control over you.

Best-

Steve[/QUOTE]

You, and yours would be welcome at my MDR table anytime.:)

[quote name='papaflamingo']Nothing personal, but I sure have no desire to sit anywhere near you. Don't get too upset, I know it's "your cruise," but it's my cruise too. And on "my cruise," having a guy in a tank top in a dining room is just not appetizing to me. So hopefully while you enjoy "your cruise" in a tank top in the MDR I'll still be able to enjoy "my cruise." Should it bother me? No. Does it? Yes. Who is right? Well, according to the Dress Code, looks like I am. Sorry... you lose.
[/quote]

To be perfectly honest, if a person is going to judge me for wearing shorts and a tank top, then I expect they may also judge me based on the color of my skin, body composition, etc. I personally wouldn't have any problem sitting next to anybody because I'm just a nice person. In fact, if we ever cross paths on a cruise I will offer to switch tables because I know I may not live up to your standards.

I came from 8-9 feet of snow on my front lawn to go on this cruise. 30 degrees Celsius is unheard of where I am from. I personally don't feel comfortable in a long sleeve shirt because I know I would have pit stains down the whole length of my shirt. That would be a little less appetizing than a shirt without sleeves don't you think?

[quote name='WhenIsLobsterNight']This thread is a bit sad. It really shows how society in general continues to deteriorate over the years and I am not even what most people consider old at 41. Why do people feel they are entitled to do whatever the heck they want whenever they want just because it pleases them only? OP, I am not talking to you here either. You asked a question which is what this board is intended for. This message is for the narcissistic people who are trolling the rest of the people in this thread saying they will dress however they please whenever they please. Those people disgust me and have to be simply miserable human beings in their daily lives. If you want to wear shorts at dinner, then by all means go to any restaurant on the ship that you wish with the exception of a specialty restaurant or the MDR which specifically state that is not acceptable attire. That is not quite good enough for you though is it? Nope, you are on vacation and deserve to dress however you want right? What an absolutely terrible attitude some of you people have.[/quote]

I assure you I am not a "miserable human being in daily life" because I chose to wear shorts one night to dinner on my Caribbean vacation. I am amazed someone would post such nonsense as your message although I do agree, *some* people here have absolutely terrible attitudes. Maybe your afternoon will be better than your morning today.

Best-

Steve