shipboard credit for owning stock

spikecat

Hi

I knew i should have bought the stock when it was lower last year. But for me to get it now I don't think I would get my Money's worth. Its in higih 40's I only cruise once a year.

At the end of the day, this is still an investment with a really nice side perk. I wouldn't ever buy shares of anything if I didn't believe that it was going to go up in value. The OBC is just gravy on top.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

At the end of the day, this is still an investment with a really nice side perk. I wouldn't ever buy shares of anything if I didn't believe that it was going to go up in value. The OBC is just gravy on top.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My view is different from yours. As long as the stock doesn't lose appreciable value when I chose to sell it I am happy with it retaining its current value. It is, after all, an investment which (at the current price) is returning 2.4% or so with the payments in dividends. I don't think any bank is paying that on regular savings accounts.

It would be nice to hear from a CCL stockholder who has done a cruise tour to see if the OBC received was based on sailing days or cruise tour days.

We did a 14 day cruise tour (Alaska) in June 2014 and received $250 shareholder obc on the cruise portion. It was 7 days land tour with a 7 night cruise.

Thank you, for your confirmation.. IMO that's exactly what it should be..

I am booked for a 20 day sea land cruise to Alaska. Will I get the $250.00 for total days involved or will I receive $100.00 for the sea portion? The sea portion is 7 days? The cruise is with Holland America.

i called Holland America and was transferred to World Wide Services who does the CCL share holder awards for Holland America. The person said that on Sea Land Cruises the Sea Days count as well as the land days. I will receive the full $250 award. In addition she stated that with Holland America the land portion counts toward the advancement in the Mariners Program just as the sea days count. If you go on a Sea Land Cruise Journey and book a Suite all days both sea and land will be doubled towards advancement in the Mariners program.

1. The credit, as has been previously noted, is per cabin, not per person.

2. There is no limit on the number of cruises. You can get the credit for each and every cruise you book on HAL, Cunard, Princess, Seaborn, etc.

3. If you book a multi-segment cruise in a single booking, you will get only one credit. If you book each segment separately, you will get the OBC for each booking.

4. It's a true credit. If you don't use it up on board, you cannot cash out the remainder.

5. It cannot be booked through a Travel Agent. You are required to request the credit directly with HAL.

6. It is always additional. The usual "cannot be combined with other offers" does not apply in any way to the Shareholder OBC, so make sure you apply for the credit every time you cruise.

By the way, the page explaining the Shareholder benefit is the last page of the annual report. We always photocopy the page and the proxy ballot and fax it over as soon as we have a confirmed booking.

---

One other unrelated matter, Royal Caribbean International, parent of Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Celebrity and others, offers the same deal for its shareholders.

Edited by Host Walt

5. It cannot be booked through a Travel Agent. You are required to request the credit directly with HAL.

This isn't correct; the TA can forward the proof of ownership for you.

Mine did as recently as a little over a week ago.

In all the cruises I have taken since I purchased the stock (back in '06, a lot of cruises ago), I have never sent in the proof to HAL; my TA has always done it for me.

This isn't correct; the TA can forward the proof of ownership for you.

Mine did as recently as a little over a week ago.

In all the cruises I have taken since I purchased the stock (back in '06, a lot of cruises ago), I have never sent in the proof to HAL; my TA has always done it for me.

In your case your TA acted as your personal assistant with regard to the shareholder credit, not as a Travel Agent.

What I said was a Travel Agent cannot book the shareholder credit. Of course they can forward the request for you but that's it. If you don't get the credit you cannot hold the TA responsible, even if he/she forgot to mail/fax it to HAL.

In your case your TA acted as your personal assistant with regard to the shareholder credit, not as a Travel Agent.

What I said was a Travel Agent cannot book the shareholder credit. Of course they can forward the request for you but that's it. If you don't get the credit you cannot hold the TA responsible, even if he/she forgot to mail/fax it to HAL.

Now I am totally confused: If your Rule # 5 had said that the s/h benefit cannot be booked with a TA, I would agree with your correction of RuthC. But it said that since the s/h benefit "cannot be booked through a Travel Agent ... [y]ou are required to request the credit directly with HAL" Does this not mean that only a passenger can book the s/h credit? If so, specifically how does a person "book" the s/h credit?

Or does your correction of RuthC turn on the definition of the word "book" If so, please let us know how you define that word and, in turn, how "book" is different than "request".

Thank you for clarifying this matter.

Edited by Ky Colonel

Now I am totally confused: If your Rule # 5 had said that the s/h benefit cannot be booked with a TA, I would agree with your correction of RuthC. But it said that since the s/h benefit "cannot be booked through a Travel Agent ... [y]ou are required to request the credit directly with HAL" Does this not mean that only a passenger can book the s/h credit? If so, specifically how does a person "book" the s/h credit?

Or does your correction of RuthC turn on the definition of the word "book" If so, please let us know how you define that word and, in turn, how "book" is different than "request".

Thank you for clarifying this matter.

I think the confusion here comes from the term "book". When you use a TA to BOOK a HAL cruise, they cannot get you the shareholder credit along with your booking. Once you are BOOKED, you can request a shareholder credit from HAL following the proper procedure outlined in CCL's annual report (or here on CC), which requires you to provide ownership proof of 100 shares of CCL stock. I have heard that they like you to request this after final payment, but I do not know the actual dates required.

Now, after you have been booked, your TA can fax or mail your request to HAL for your, but you obviously have to give them the necessary information.

One more thing - I have had my HAL PCC (personal cruise consultant) automatically get me this credit at the time of booking, but only if my shareholder information is fairly current (like when I book a second cruise close to when I submitted my previous credit request).

I hope this helps.

I think the confusion here comes from the term "book".

My "confusion" (if that is the correct word) was Walt's statement that you have to contact HAL yourself. You don't.

I don't know how current your stockholder verification needs to be, though. I recently submitted current verification to have it applied to my upcoming October and November cruises; certainly "current". HAL also applied it to my October 2016 cruise, and gave me the stockholder credit for that one, too.

My "confusion" (if that is the correct word) was Walt's statement that you have to contact HAL yourself. You don't.

I don't know how current your stockholder verification needs to be, though. I recently submitted current verification to have it applied to my upcoming October and November cruises; certainly "current". HAL also applied it to my October 2016 cruise, and gave me the stockholder credit for that one, too.

Actually I said "booked directly with HAL." That is also what RuthC said. Her TA submits the required documentation to HAL so that HAL can do the booking of the on board credit for shareholders.

The point you are missing is that many OBC deals are offered by travel agents and not by the cruise lines. In those cases the customer is governed by the TA's rules, not by the cruise line's rules.

In the case of the shareholder benefit, however, the TA has no involvement in obtaining the credit except, as in RuthC's case, if they choose to handle the transmission of required documentation as a courtesy to their client.

If the TA transmits the documentation and HAL declines to provide the credit, the issue is between the customer and HAL. The TA has no obligations.

Actually I said "booked directly with HAL."

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you did not say "booked directly with HAL." In your Rule #5, you said "It cannot be booked through a Travel Agent"; and in your post, you said "a Travel Agent cannot book the shareholder credit." Hence my "confusion".

Edited by Ky Colonel

• 2 weeks later...

CCL documents state stock ownership must be provided within 6 months of sail date, but I mailed ownership proof February 6th for a cruise Oct 30 (way more than 6 months out) and they mailed back my credit confirmation within the week. Seems like there is more latitude than officially stated.

I just downloaded the Shareholder Benefit statement (link provided in post #2), and it says the benefit is for sailings through July 31, 2016. Wouldn't you know, our cruise is in August 2016. Does anyone know whether this benefit will continue?

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

I just downloaded the Shareholder Benefit statement (link provided in post #2), and it says the benefit is for sailings through July 31, 2016. Wouldn't you know, our cruise is in August 2016. Does anyone know whether this benefit will continue?

As far as I know this is voted on every year and for many years it has always been approved.