DIAMONDS and PLATINUMS ONLY - NO GUESTS - OFFICIAL

Elaine515

Believe me NO ONE attending those gatherings are "special" Holier than thou? Perhaps. More frequent cruisers? sure. Wealthier? maybe. Older? likely.

Special? Never.

I think the people attending are the ones invited, by Carnival, because they want to say thank you to their most frequent cruisers, for their continued loyalty. It is not about better, or holier (whatever that means), or wealthier, or that they (the invited ones) think they are better.

Try spending half that and go twice as often and you'll get there sooner. ;)

Realistically, your vacation dollars are no better or worse than anyone else's vacation dollars but if you're unhappy with Carnival's loyalty program you can spend a few more thousand per cruise and cruise with a different line (while starting over at the bottom again). Maybe something like NCL that gives you multiple points per night, per cruise while nickel and diming you to death. :D

There is three of us cruising, we prefer a balcony room. Its my cruise and I will book the room that I please. Plus my wife is a teacher and our daughter is in school for another 2 years hence we can only cruise during the summer and a very limited time in the summer at that. I really looked hard at another line for next year but I won't pay their prices. I could care less about the party, but I do think Carnival should have given the Golds a little more than a drink and a bottle of water as a way of thanking them for spending $4,000 to $5,000 on their ship.

There is three of us cruising, we prefer a balcony room. Its my cruise and I will book the room that I please. Plus my wife is a teacher and our daughter is in school for another 2 years hence we can only cruise during the summer and a very limited time in the summer at that. I really looked hard at another line for next year but I won't pay their prices. I could care less about the party, but I do think Carnival should have given the Golds a little more than a drink and a bottle of water as a way of thanking them for spending $4,000 to $5,000 on their ship.

What kind of analogy is that? It is a reception for their most loyal guests. Period. Not everybody they can drag a long, part of their extended family of friends or pople they met waiting to board. If you tjonk it is a couple of wwatered down drinks, than I guess you won't mind not going. ;)

Where in the world did I mention bringing anyone except for a significant other? I only ever said "and guest."

Im not sure how you can say "what kind of analogy is that?" Did you read my whole post? I am comparing a party/celebration/reception that Carnival is throwing to a party/celebration/reception that ANY other person/company/organization would throw. It is literally an apples to apples comparison.

Once again, if you read my original post, I said I wouldnt be going. ;)

We'll be very interested in what happens on our Aug. cruise. My wife and I will be Diamond and bringing our 12 year old granddaughter for her first cruise. If she isn't allowed in, we can't (won't) attend.

OK, I think its wonderful that you're taking your 12 year old granddaughter on her first cruise, but I don't understand why you can't or won't attend. By the last day of the cruise, she is old enough and will have met new friends by then and probably will want to spend the HOUR with them....

It's not the end of the world to spend an hour away from the person you are cruising with to be welcomed back to a party just for Platinum and Diamond passengers...

It's not the end of the world to spend an hour away from the person you are cruising with to be welcomed back to a party just for Platinum and Diamond passengers...

I work, my SO is retired, so normally we spend 50 hours a week apart. Ours is a fairly new relationship (2 years). So, no, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but we would not (and did not) choose to spend that hour away from each other because one of us was welcomed back and one was not. I don't think that was an unusual reaction. Perhaps there is a CC member who is curious enough to conduct a poll, just for fun.

Where in the world did I mention bringing anyone except for a significant other? I only ever said "and guest."

Im not sure how you can say "what kind of analogy is that?" Did you read my whole post? I am comparing a party/celebration/reception that Carnival is throwing to a party/celebration/reception that ANY other person/company/organization would throw. It is literally an apples to apples comparison.

I read it just fine. The point is if they make it plus a guest, then it becomes it's plus my kids, then it becomes it's plus the people they are traveling with etc etc etc. In terms of your analogy, while I get your "party" reference, the fact is that it is a reception for their most loyal guests, which is totally different than you holding a party at your house and deciding who comes and does not come (which of course is your perogitive).

No. Wow.... Man you guys really missed the point.

Lets say I decide to have a party at my own home. Do I invite over my friend, who I have known for many years, but tell him that his new wife isnt invited because I haven't known her as long? What if they traveled from out of town to this party? How often is any invitation to a celebration or party in this world, not extended to the recipient's guest? We arent talking about a free trip to Tahiti here. We are talking about a couple of watered down $6 drinks.

If you wanted to make that the rule in your home, you certainly could but it seems you haven't and that is your choice as well. But IMO, you're looking at it from the wrong viewpoint. Let's say you were having a business meeting at your home with fellow members of the board or clients. What would you think if everyone brought their uninvited spouse and kids with them as well.....and maybe a few friends to boot (this is exactly the issue Carnival has had)? The party is for people who have attained a certain level with Carnival. If a person doesn't meet that level, they are not invited. Just because it may be your spouse still doesn't give him or her the right to go. You of course have the right to not go if you think they would make your spouse feel uncomfortable which is the way I would do it but you don't have the right or expectation that Carnival should bend the rules for you.

BTW, a couple of watered down $6 drinks for your wife x 99 others who felt the same way x 24 Carnival ships equals $28,800 per week or $1,497,600 per year for Carnival in stolen product.

Edited by Out to sea!

Are you paying for a cruise or for perks? Maybe the perks should be changed so that perks are given based on what someone spends on a cruise versus how many cruises they've taken. So a blue card in the Grand Suite get's free laundry, a free dinner, and get's to meet with the Captain and the Diamond couple in an inside only get a free bottle of water. How's that?

Edited by Out to sea!

The problem is, while Carnival does not make the rules in your home you seem to think you should be able to make the rules in Carnival's home. Therein lies the difference.

BTW, a couple of watered down $6 drinks for your wife x 99 others who felt the same way x 24 Carnival ships equals $28,800 per week or $1,497,600 per year for Carnival in stolen product.

That is the retail cost of the drinks. The actual cost is less than 28% of that and I don't mean the purchase price of the liquor. I mean the cost of getting it on the ship, up to the bar and the drink in the passenger's hand.

There was no plus one or those travelling with me allowed on the Legend last week. It was for the person named on the invitation and they were collected at the door by a staff member.

Agreed, others were posting that there should be the +1 (or 2 or 3 or....) allowed.

The problem is, while Carnival does not make the rules in your home you seem to think you should be able to make the rules in Carnival's home. Therein lies the difference.

Man you guys are ridiculous.

I don't think I should be able to make rules in their business. I gave my opinion on why I believe this is wrong and why I will not be participating.

Way to put words in people's mouth. :)

If you wanted to make that the rule in your home, you certainly could but it seems you haven't and that is your choice as well. But IMO, you're looking at it from the wrong viewpoint. Let's say you were having a business meeting at your home with fellow members of the board or clients. What would you think if everyone brought their uninvited spouse and kids with them as well.....and maybe a few friends to boot (this is exactly the issue Carnival has had)? The party is for people who have attained a certain level with Carnival. If a person doesn't meet that level, they are not invited. Just because it may be your spouse still doesn't give him or her the right to go. You of course have the right to not go if you think they would make your spouse feel uncomfortable which is the way I would do it but you don't have the right or expectation that Carnival should bend the rules for you.

The exact same way that carnival is making sure that only the actual VIFP is allowed in is the exact process they could use to make sure it's only the invitee plus their guest and not everyone they are traveling with. As stated many times, I'm not asking for them to bend the rules. They can do what they wish. I simply believe it's the wrong way to conduct business for this situation.

As for your cost savings comparison, this is something I'm very familiar with. Actually a professional as my career is in marketing, advertising and branding. Generating an ROI. Do you know how many companies would KILL to be able to have a captive audience, for an hour, while actually using their product for $12 per person. Like someone else said, they wouldn't look at it like that. They would use actual hard costs and I'm guessing it's less than $5 per person.

What kind of analogy is that? It is a reception for their most loyal guests. Period. Not everybody they can drag a long, part of their extended family of friends or pople they met waiting to board. If you tjonk it is a couple of wwatered down drinks, than I guess you won't mind not going. ;)

Sorry I have to say this, all it is a 45 min (or so) open bar. That is it. If you don't drink, it would not even be worth going too. I would not even call it a party.

I posted this in another thread and it's how I feel.

So what would be the point then in banning Gold Members because there were too many people and letting Platinum/Diamonds bring a guest in? I went alone when I was Gold and I didn't die, nor did my mom who was Red.

I think it should be only the people who rightfully earned the spot to be there. If you don't feel like going by yourself, then don't go. It's not like you're spending the whole day by yourself. It's an hour max.

Edited by firemanbobswife

This is supposed to be a reception to celebrate how many cruises you've done not how much money you've spent. They show a film with all the Carnival ships not all the nations banks/

Again, from the other thread:

I agree that there are a lot of Golds, however, if they stuck with checking invitations at the door, then I don't think they would have had to go to this measure. The amount of Platinums will soon be overwhelming as well. Just wait until they introduce a "Platinum Plus" tier for those that have 75 days sailed. Platinum will become the current Gold Status.

I still say no +1. It's not comparable to an office party, wedding, etc where a companion is almost necessary. While it might not be as fun (for some people), it is a party to celebrate a status that has been earned, not to entertain guests of the guests.

And I say this as a lowly, red headed step child, I mean, Gold Member (not the Austin Powers movie BTW)

I've been to several past guest parties and I've never found the drinks to be watered down. The quality of the snacks went from adequate to inedible, but I never thought the drinks were weak.

Just my $0.02.

Last year the drinks and food were good at the past guest party. My whole group was gold, as we always cruise together. We always had fun. Would only have a drink or two at the most since we were headed to dinner. Won't be going to one for a while now.......since we are lowly golds.

Yeah...wish they did reward us for how much we spend on board. (We have always taken our four boys and sometimes their friends. Now we take wives, too) We book ocean suites on big ships and grand suites on the Fantasy Class ships, do our fair share of excursions, buy pictures, and have a few drinks.

AND please don't suggest we go to another line....we have liked carnival's product.....and room size. I understand businesses need to make money...but man I do feel like CCL is getting cheap. There may come a time we do go on another line. Not going to say "Never" for sure!

Sorry I have to say this, all it is a 45 min (or so) open bar. That is it. If you don't drink, it would not even be worth going too. I would not even call it a party.

I agree, so what's the big deal.

We just went to a past guest party on the Legend with only Platinums and Diamonds. The major issue is that it was held in the Firebird Lounge- for a more intimate experience- which is way too small even for the smaller number of attendees. Why cram chairs in-between the bench rows? If you have to do that to accommodate the guests, keep the program in the theater where at least the wait staff can reach us and we all have our own table. The new menu was awful. Black bean and rice patties were offered that were really terrible. The shrimp on the pastry puff was ok. The sushi was good, but complicated to serve with the wasabi, soy and ginger. As most always, drinks were gone quickly and we sat and waited and waited for anyone to show up to our area. We finally went to the bar to get our own drink. The people that sat on the sides of the lounge could see nothing of the film. Not a good experience for us this time.