Traveling under my maiden name

I got married a year ago and changed my last name. I got a new drivers license in the mail, but I still have my old license with my maiden name that doesn't expire for years.

I've flown under my maiden name on a couple of flights because I forgot to change my name on their loyalty programs. I just showed my maiden name license and had no issue.

I haven't changed my name on my passport because it's valid until 2017. I booked the cruise under my maiden name so I wouldn't have to bother with bringing my marriage license with me and any confusion or delay that might bring at the pier. I have my maiden name license as back up.

I know things will be fine, but I'm getting a little nervous for some reason as I fill out my edocs. Has anyone else done this?

I got married a year ago and changed my last name. I got a new drivers license in the mail, but I still have my old license with my maiden name that doesn't expire for years.

I've flown under my maiden name on a couple of flights because I forgot to change my name on their loyalty programs. I just showed my maiden name license and had no issue.

I haven't changed my name on my passport because it's valid until 2017. I booked the cruise under my maiden name so I wouldn't have to bother with bringing my marriage license with me and any confusion or delay that might bring at the pier. I have my maiden name license as back up.

I know things will be fine, but I'm getting a little nervous for some reason as I fill out my edocs. Has anyone else done this?

You should be fine. You're booked under your maiden name, it matches your passport and that's all you need to board. How would they even know your now married? Lots of people these days don't even change their name. You need to have a photo ID with your key card when you return to the ship in Bermuda (if that's where you're going) so take either your passport or your old license since it's still valid when going ashore.

If you have gotten married & have changed your last to your new married name, then in the eyes of the law your passport and drivers license are illegal. Why can't you have your old drivers license reissued with the same expiry date in your new name ?

Don't think it's legal anywhere to be in possession and found using two or more different pieces Identification, that's called Fraud. I doubt it's worth all of the trouble and aggravation trying to explain to the local authorities why you have two different identifications ?

You didn't say when your next cruise is, so I don't know how much time you have to get a new passport, but I wouldn't wait for something to happen that would prevent me from traveling or worse.

I would ask myself if I were you (and i'm not so it's jmho and you asked lol) is it really going to be worth it $ wise to not change anything and take a chance of nothing happening or just go ahead and get the proper id's changed and enjoy the travel adventure for the sake of a few bucks.

Don't know what the cost is to get those changes made but it would have to be cheaper than the cost of your cruise. Either way, enjoy your cruise.

cheers...the Ump...:D

You should be fine. You're booked under your maiden name, it matches your passport and that's all you need to board. How would they even know your now married? Lots of people these days don't even change their name. You need to have a photo ID with your key card when you return to the ship in Bermuda (if that's where you're going) so take either your passport or your old license since it's still valid when going ashore.

Wow, that's some gutsy information your passing along, you must be a Para-Legal or something to feel comfortable giving someone you don't know that type of direction. I don't know, maybe you are some sort of Legal Beagle and good for you for helping, I learned something new today. Thanks !

If you have gotten married & have changed your last to your new married name, then in the eyes of the law your passport and drivers license are illegal. Why can't you have your old drivers license reissued with the same expiry date in your new name ?

I assume you mean passport. I can't, I would have to get a brand new passport.

You're fine in using your maiden name; as long as your travel documents match (tickets & passport).

Many married women continue to use their maiden name in their professions.

Edited by Philob

My wife has been doing this for over 30 years. As long as you book your cruise in the name on your passport you have nothing at all to be concerned about.

Wow, that's some gutsy information your passing along, you must be a Para-Legal or something to feel comfortable giving someone you don't know that type of direction. I don't know, maybe you are some sort of Legal Beagle and good for you for helping, I learned something new today. Thanks !

Pretty gutsy trying to explain US law since you are a Canadian. I guess you have a valid license to practice law in the US.

OP has nothing to worry about, and as long as she is not trying to commit fraud it doesn't matter which name she uses, in fact based on the information she has given she has not completed the name change process as far as the Federal government is concerned, because there is no indication she has changed her social security information, so technically her maiden name is her correct name for Federal purposes, including passports.

Edited by zqvol

Pretty gutsy trying to explain US law since you are a Canadian. I guess you have a valid license to practice law in the US.

OP has nothing to worry about, and as long as she is not trying to commit fraud it doesn't matter which name she uses, in fact based on the information she has given she has not completed the name change process as far as the Federal government is concerned, because there is no indication she has changed her social security information, so technically her maiden name is her correct name for Federal purposes, including passports.

I did change my SSN:eek: First thing I had to do to get my new license.

Edited by BeachMartini

You're fine in using your maiden name; as long as your travel documents match (tickets & passport).

Many married women continue to use their maiden name in their professions.

Using one's birth name professionally is not the same thing as using it on legal docs or identity docs. One of my colleagues, for example, uses her birth name professionally, but all her tax, payroll, etc. information is in her legal (married) name.

I did change my SSN:eek: First thing I had to do to get my new license.

I can't speak to what will happen on your upcoming trip, but since you have changed your name legally, why not simplify your life and get new identity docs (including your passport) in the only name that is now your legal name? Then you will no longer have these concerns, or need to remember which name to book a trip in, etc.

As others have said, as long as your reservation name matches your passport, you should be fine.

I got married in late 2013, updated my driver's license with my new name in early 2014 after our honeymoon, and my old license was invalid the day I got my new one; my state even hole punched "invalid" (or maybe it was "expired") into the license. My passport in my maiden name was good until 2019, and for our cruise this year, I was going to book in my maiden name and bring along our marriage certificate. I got nervous about doing so, because I was worried that, when taking ID off the ship, the DL wouldn't match my ship ID - so then just opted to just get an updated passport. That alleviated stress for me, despite loosing a few years on a valid passport. It was worth the cost to update the passport now; I figure costs for them will (maybe) go up again in a couple years anyway, and that combined with the relief about having matching documentation sealed it for me.

Looks like you may be cruising in a couple weeks, so wouldn't have time to get a new passport, but just wanted to send my $.02 your way.

Have a good cruise!

I got married in 2008 and my passport doesn't expire until 2016. Have taken at least one cruise a year under my maiden name. I have not had any problem. I did change my Drivers License and SS Card and will update passport next year.

Not that it matters now for the OP but if you marry and change your name you have 1 year to change passport without any cost. :)

When I changed my name I still had to pay fees to have a new passport issued. Not sure why you think that it is free.

Not that it matters now for the OP but if you marry and change your name you have 1 year to change passport without any cost. :)

The rule is actually that if you have a legal name change within the first year of your passport's validity you can submit for the name change without cost (not within the first year of your name change).

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/services/correction.html

Edited by gluecksbaer

I don't see how they would know, unless you tell them. My passport doesn't expire until 2020, and I'm not about to pay for a new one just to get the name changed. I travel internationally in my maiden name about once a month, I just make sure to make all reservations in the name that shows on my passport.

I'm 100% certain that it's not free to change the name in your passport within one year of the change. I'm an American living abroad, so I need to always have my immigration documents in order. I called the embassy to ask about changing the name on my passport and was told I need to pay for a new passport. They suggested traveling in my maiden name since I have five years left before renewal.

Regarding the laughable info given upthread about it being fraudulent to have IDs in 2 different names, in Denmark, they don't even issue a new driver's license when you change your name, they only change the central people registry and your insurance card. I was married last September and I'm STILL waiting on an updated visa card... am I residing illegally?

Edited by ExpatBride

I would just like to add my name to the chorus of Americans that have their passports in her maiden name. I have booked all my international travel in my maiden name since I got married in 2008. Never had ANY trouble in that regard. If you have your passport, people don't ask for other forms of ID.

Here is a link to something from US Border Patrol about the issue:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1209/kw/travelling%20passport%20maiden%20name/session/L3RpbWUvMTQzMTgxMTEzMi9zaWQvTWk4Z1J2bW0%3D/suggested/1

LMAO

In the event you're a credentialed professional (you're demonstrating behaviors that in my view make this far beyond very unlikely) then you might want to review the code of professional conduct by which you're bound to confirm whether your behaviors are consistent with the minimum standard that you must reach.

The original poster will be fine traveling on their existing passport. It will be essential to have the name match between the passport and the cruise booking since even with a marriage certificate in hand boarding will otherwise be difficult.

LMAO .......... I probably know more about the laws and history of your country than 85% of population of your U.S.of A.

Unlike most of you I don't deal in "well technically" as seems to be the basis of most of your posts, I deal in facts and actuality's. As far as having a "valid license", I dare say that my Validity in making those comments is far more superior than what yours would be.

I based my information on facts and hands on experience, I didn't guess or ass u me just because it sounds like it's right.

I could go on about why I know, but I doubt very much you would take the time to understand something from a "dumb Canuck" uh uh uh duh, would ya like frys wit dat order. PLEASE !

Since you have suggested other posters on this thread shouldn't comment unless they are paralegals, stated that you are unfamiliar with US name change laws, and also suggested you got your knowledge of the law from a TV show, it seems odd that you would come back with such an attack when someone questions your legal credentials.

Also some definitions that might help you:

"technically": according to rules or to the law: (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/american-english/technically)

Most people consider rules and laws to be facts and actualities.

Fraud: "the crime of obtaining money or property by deceiving people:" or "a person or thing that is not what it claims or pretends to be:" (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/american-english/fraud)

As noted by someone else above, simply having ID in more than one name is not fraudulent. It may cause an officer or other government agent to ask lots of questions, but having the ID is not fraudulent. In my state it's legal to use any name you wish to go by with limited exceptions (such as being in prison or on probation). Performers all over the US frequently use a name other than their legal name. So just using an alias other than your legal name is also not considered fraudulent.

(I do not have the legal knowledge to know whether traveling and using a passport under a name that is not ones current legal name would technically constitute fraud or not. The US customs and border protection appears to indicate that one should travel under ones current legal name and bring proof of the name change. Although on a cruise where one intends to enter multiple countries, it would be particularly difficult to give an answer on the technical legalities. I believe the other posters are correct that officials are unlikely to know or care as long the names match especially since the OPs intent is not to deceive people or take their money. But your previous statement was that having two sets of ID in ones possession was fraudulent.)

Many married women continue to use their maiden name in their professions

TRUE! As long as all of your travel documents match you won't have a problem. :)