Can you order a bottle of alcohol from room service?

2boys2girls

We will be cruising on the Breeze soon and not sure about getting the Cheers package or just getting a bottle of something for our cabin. I have seen older posts but just wondering if anyone has recent experience with this question. When you get on board, can you order a bottle of wine or some other alcohol through room service and have it delivered the 1st day?

I have ordered a bottle of wine, but it has been a few years ago and dont remember the cost. As douglas says it is pricey but probably less than ordering that amount from the bar in drinks. I no longer smuggle, so I am considering doing this for my next cruise, but for me it will be wine.

I believe the big difference between ordering a bottle from Bon Voyage before the cruise and ordering it while on the cruise from room service is that a gratuity is added.

Other than that, the price is a the same (albeit a tad expensive).

I have seen/read some previous comments and posts about this, and some say that there is no 15pc gratuity on the bottle of wine, but that you should and hopefully we all do tip the person who brings the bottle of wine or whatever room service to you. Honestly the one time I ordered a bottle of wine to my room was too long ago for me to remember if there was a gratuity added, but I most certainly did and always do tip the person who brings it. That particular thread went back and forth for so long, and one person said this and the other said that, so I am still not sure if you are billed for the bottle of wine plus 15pc gratuity..., and if so how much of that goes to the person who brings?, or if it is actually up to you the passenger to tip the person who brings the wine.

So...if you order a 40.00 bottle of wine, are you billed the 15pc? or do you tip the deliverer the same? I hate not to hand over cash to the person who brings it. Just me...I like cash tips to room service deliverers, but abide by all suggested prepaid or auto gratuities suggested. Also tip extra at the end of the cruise to staff who have been exceptional.

Thanks for any clarification. I just dont want to tip 15pc twice. If 15pc added to bill, ok, and I will still give the person who brings it a couple of bucks, just dont want to tip 15 pc twice.

Edited by SMSACE6

We order form Bon Voyage prior to the cruise, but were making more drinks than we anticipated, along with having family stop in the room before dinner. We ordered two more bottles from room service, which has the 15% gratuity added to it.

Remember, everybody 21 and older can bring a bottle of wine onboard in their carryon.

I usually order a bottle of vodka from Bon Voyage prior to sailing and that has a tax (no gratuity). I don't think you would have a problem ordering once you are onboard, as long it isn't one of the more uncommon alcohols. I have heard it depends on their supply when you order onboard.

we order two bottles or crown the package with six sodas with each bottle we have a bottle on monday and a bottle on wednesday as we sail out of texas they wont give you anything on the first day, we found this is our way of saving a little we havent had to smuggle and we enjoy our own beverage take a big Tervis cup and holder with you :D We order from Bon Voyage before we go, saves on the gratuity charges etc. $90 per bottle and six sodas.

Hope this helps.

I have seen/read some previous comments and posts about this, and some say that there is no 15pc gratuity on the bottle of wine, but that you should and hopefully we all do tip the person who brings the bottle of wine or whatever room service to you. Honestly the one time I ordered a bottle of wine to my room was too long ago for me to remember if there was a gratuity added, but I most certainly did and always do tip the person who brings it. That particular thread went back and forth for so long, and one person said this and the other said that, so I am still not sure if you are billed for the bottle of wine plus 15pc gratuity..., and if so how much of that goes to the person who brings?, or if it is actually up to you the passenger to tip the person who brings the wine.

So...if you order a 40.00 bottle of wine, are you billed the 15pc? or do you tip the deliverer the same? I hate not to hand over cash to the person who brings it. Just me...I like cash tips to room service deliverers, but abide by all suggested prepaid or auto gratuities suggested. Also tip extra at the end of the cruise to staff who have been exceptional.

Thanks for any clarification. I just dont want to tip 15pc twice. If 15pc added to bill, ok, and I will still give the person who brings it a couple of bucks, just dont want to tip 15 pc twice.

If you order from room service, whether it is for food or wine or liquor, a tip is customary. If you order pre-cruise from the Fun Shop, a tip is not customary. More than likely if you order from Fun Shop, the delivery will be made when you are not in your cabin (on the date you specify upon ordering).

Hope that helps.

I have never had a gratuity automatically added to anything I order from room service or from Bon Voyage. Delivery times on orders from Bon Voyage vary depending on the laws at the departure port. Also, sales type taxes may or may not be added based on tax laws in the departure port city/state.

Early this year on the Freedom I ordered a bottle, pre cruise, from Bon Voyage and sales tax was added. Once on board I ordered another bottle from room service and there was no sales tax or 15% gratuity added. I did tip the deliverer.

When ordering from anything from the fun shop if you have it delivered to be in your room before embarkation you will be taxed. If you wait and have it delivered that evening or the next morning you will not be taxed.
We ordered the beer in a cooler package and requested later delivery to save the tax .

It was waiting for us in our cabin (and we saved the tax) . :)

I tried ordering a bottle from room service on the Liberty and they said, "no, we don't do that." Several people have reported that they had ordered bottles through room service on the Liberty, both before and after my cruise.

If you already know you want it, I suggest ordering it online before you leave.

I tried ordering a bottle from room service on the Liberty and they said, "no, we don't do that." Several people have reported that they had ordered bottles through room service on the Liberty, both before and after my cruise.

If you already know you want it, I suggest ordering it online before you leave.

I would have called back... next person might have said "sure, what you want?"