Erosion of Diamond Plus benefits?

Internet usage is a new problem for everyone. I agree, using your time over the cruise was preferable to the present method. But you may be able to talk your concierge club ambassador to apply all 4 coupons to a full cruise plan.

Yes, you can apply all 4 coupons to your cruise plan. However, my business needs require me to check in for a couple of minutes each morning, so I need that availability every day. ATT has a cruise ship package that seems to be better priced than that offered by the ship, but I wasn't fully aware of the new RCI policy before leaving.

My boyfriend and I are those type that talk with the person/persons sitting next to you on the tour bus etc. I can't even tell you how many people we have spoken with in ports where there was a Celebrity ship and the RCCI ship in it that said they made the switch and don't even look back for a second. If just one couple would have said it then yes, I would chalk it up to personal preference but I have been hearing it on different cruises for the past few years.

We tried Celebrity a few years ago and, while we would go again if the price was right, we much preferred the D+ perks on Royal.

We had heard for years how Celebrity was a "step above" Royal and we were a little disappointed.

Sherri:)

are fine and much better than competing lines...As far as the laundry issue, well check you seapass account everyday. If you waited till the last nite and didn't get the credit well that's on you, sorry. You had to 'ask" for your robes, how unfair!:rolleyes: You go online as a D+ and that's how you get your bottle of wine or whatever else you choice as your onboard gift. That is how it's done now. Sounds like you just weren't aware of how the perks work now, hopefully you will be up to speed for your next cruise.:)

Trail, thank you so much for your valued and informed opinion:rolleyes:. We've been doing this for a while and have a pretty good idea of how the system works, but - a mini bottle of cheap wine is still a mini bottle of cheap wine. Perhaps you didn't read the entire post (that can be such a bother!), but I did mention that these issues may sound trivial. The robes were but one issue of several. The point is that RCI supposedly goes to these lengths in order to make their high tier members feel welcomed back - I feel that they came up short on this particular cruise.

Edited by kongpup

Yes, you can apply all 4 coupons to your cruise plan. However, my business needs require me to check in for a couple of minutes each morning, so I need that availability every day. ATT has a cruise ship package that seems to be better priced than that offered by the ship, but I wasn't fully aware of the new RCI policy before leaving.

Or you could use a coupon the first morning, check email within 24 hours by next morning. Wait to use your next 24 hours til the next day, and repeat, using your partner's coupons on subsequent days. This would cover 8 days.

We were told that the 2 24 hour periods did not have to run consecutively.

Have to say that I rated C&A benefits highest on my survey. Between the coupons and our concierge, we felt valued as D+.

They were definitely the highlights of our cruise as well.

I tend to agree with you. I rather like the new internet policy. Getting 24 hrs in a row gives me enough time to get done what I have to accomplish. I usually save it for near the end of the cruise so I can clean up my e-mail and get the airline check in done. Under the old way it seemed like most of my time was used up with bad connections and slow speeds.

I really like the three drink vouchers. Our last cruise on Indy was the first one where we had this. It was so nice to be able to get a drink anywhere we wanted to be and not be confined to a crowded lounge. In my mind this is a much better perk than candy on my pillow or a free visit to Johnny Rocket's.

The DL on Indy was very nice for having a light breakfast, the coffee machine was always available. Ice show tickets were painless to pick up in there. The outdoor seating area is in a very nice location with good ocean views. It is a nice location to hang out for awhile if you want a quiet place just as long as you avoid it during happy hour.

The priority boarding line greatly shortened our check-in process at pier 29 in Port Everglades.

As far as "platers" of stuff to eat being placed in the cabin, I guess it is a "nice touch" but with all that I eat around the ship the last thing I really need to to walk into our cabin and find more stuff to eat. I have never had to ask for a robe. It has always been in the cabin. But if I had to ask I wouldn't find it to be an imposition. They are not asking me to go down to the linen room and pick it up myself.

I understand that different things are important to different people. But I feel the perks that are important to me have some real value. I don't need "nice touches". Even though some of the stuff RCI does sometimes makes me scratch my head, the bottom line is I still very much like the product and the ships. I guess that is why I continue to book my vacations with them.

Agree with you although we haven't experienced the new internet perk yet so not sure about it. We don't use the internet much on a ship, we've always had left over minutes with the old perk so the new one may work just fine for our needs.

We really like the vouchers as it is nice to be able to have the free drink at another bar instead of being confined to the DL/CL lounge. We found the "nice touches" on Celebrity weren't that important to us.:D

Or you could use a coupon the first morning, check email within 24 hours by next morning. Wait to use your next 24 hours til the next day, and repeat, using your partner's coupons on subsequent days. This would cover 8 days.

We were told that the 2 24 hour periods did not have to run consecutively.

Our letter stated the same thing. For D+ you could use it in one 48 hour consecutive period OR 2 24 hour consecutive periods.

I'm sometimes pretty amazed at the level of snobbery I see on these boards. We cruise for the fun, time with family and the time away from work. We're far too busy to worry about free drinks, vouchers, robes or even priority boarding. Really? Some of you people actually stress out over waiting in line like the rest of us riff-raff? Next you'll be asking for elevators reserved for D+ members.

I'm not usually one to reply to these posts (I'm definitely not D+), but I do see a lot of these posts where people are complaining about how they weren't indulged and made to feel special or elite during their cruise based on some loyalty program. Get over yourselves, loosen up a bit and have fun.

I'm sometimes pretty amazed at the level of snobbery I see on these boards. We cruise for the fun, time with family and the time away from work. We're far too busy to worry about free drinks, vouchers, robes or even priority boarding. Really? Some of you people actually stress out over waiting in line like the rest of us riff-raff? Next you'll be asking for elevators reserved for D+ members.

I'm not usually one to reply to these posts (I'm definitely not D+), but I do see a lot of these posts where people are complaining about how they weren't indulged and made to feel special or elite during their cruise based on some loyalty program. Get over yourselves, loosen up a bit and have fun.

I wasn't complaining about the wait, as the two lines were pretty equal, but the fact that I was sent to the wrong line and then had to wait for them to find locate our Seapass cards, which were somewhere else. I then waited for her to add my cc, which was not done anyway, making it necessary to stand in line again at GS on the last day when I received a notice that my bill needed to be paid.

I don't see why you are bothered that loyalty members receive some nominal perks, or appreciate them. If we said the opposite, you'd label us ingrates. Just don't read threads that cause you mental pain.

Please re-read my post, I think you misunderstood my point. The Concierge can be talked into giving you unlimited Internet for the entire cruise. First set-up an unlimited account, then go to the concierge and ask that all coupons be applied together. It should be enough to cover, it was for me on my last TA.

Edited by steveru621

What a GREAT idea with the elevators! I'm putting that in our special D+ suggestion box next time!

Please re-read my post, I think you misunderstood my point. The Concierge can be talked into giving you unlimited Internet for the entire cruise. First set-up an unlimited account, then go to the concierge and ask that all coupons be applied together. It should be enough to cover, it was for me on my last TA.

Thanks, Steve - we'll give it a shot next time.

"level of snobbery" ? I guess maybe I should be offended, but it's really your issue not mine.

Most of what I took away from the OP is RCI has not put procedures and processes in place so the simple practice of applying a coupon does not happen automatically.

I enjoy my D+ benefits. Just because I expect to actually receive them does not make me a snob.

I'm a rookie D+ so my opinions are not fully formed. I've always found my D benefits' application varied widely from ship to ship.

Your welcome aboard platter may require you to update your D+ preferences on RCI's web site. We got all of our preferences plus an additional 6 bottles of water. Chocolate covered strawberries and snacks arrived during the cru

I see your point, but I don't think it applies strictly to D+.

Just a quick question. How did you get 6 bottles of water ?

My boyfriend and I are those type that talk with the person/persons sitting next to you on the tour bus etc. I can't even tell you how many people we have spoken with in ports where there was a Celebrity ship and the RCCI ship in it that said they made the switch and don't even look back for a second. If just one couple would have said it then yes, I would chalk it up to personal preference but I have been hearing it on different cruises for the past few years.

You might find that you do prefer Celebrity. However, I am basing my opinion on my experiences and my likes not on the opinions and likes of people who I have talked to on tour buses. It would make sense that if you talk to people who are sailing Celebrity that a good many of them are going to prefer that line over RCI. If you talk to a group of people who are sailing NCL or Carnival or Princess you might find exactly the same pattern.

"level of snobbery" ? I guess maybe I should be offended, but it's really your issue not mine.

Most of what I took away from the OP is RCI has not put procedures and processes in place so the simple practice of applying a coupon does not happen automatically.

I enjoy my D+ benefits. Just because I expect to actually receive them does not make me a snob.

I actually would prefer that I specify when I want a benefit to be applied or that I be asked before it is applied. For example, if I were to buy a soda or bottle of water at a bar I certainly would not want a free drink coupon applied if I could use that benefit at another time on a more expensive drink.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Steve, when you establish an internet account you must use a folio number to begin with. Each D+ folio number has 2 24 hours of complimentary loaded onto it, so I am surprised that the Concierge was able to apply both your 2 24 hours and your wife's 2 24 hours onto one account since you each have different folio numbers.

Steve, when you establish an internet account you must use a folio number to begin with. Each D+ folio number has 2 24 hours of complimentary loaded onto it, so I am surprised that the Concierge was able to apply both your 2 24 hours and your wife's 2 24 hours onto one account since you each have different folio numbers.

I always get some portion of Internet access. I have always found my wife's coupon would be applied to my account, even at guest services.

Quite frankly I didn't even notice he did it for a few days. I got the unlimited package for $225 and could not find a way to apply my 2 $60 D+ coupons. Knowing the concierge could apply coupons I just went to him and asked for this service. A few days later I found he had refunded all $225. Someone at our table reminded me we had 4 $60 coupons.

I intend to try it again. BTW this was a TA.

I always get some portion of Internet access. I have always found my wife's coupon would be applied to my account, even at guest services.

Quite frankly I didn't even notice he did it for a few days. I got the unlimited package for $225 and could not find a way to apply my 2 $60 D+ coupons. Knowing the concierge could apply coupons I just went to him and asked for this service. A few days later I found he had refunded all $225. Someone at our table reminded me we had 4 $60 coupons.

I intend to try it again. BTW this was a TA.

I think you were very lucky. On our recent 16 and 17 night Radiance cruises in Feb/March we were told if we purchased an unlimited pkg we could not use our coupons. In the past....when there were paper coupons.....we could put them together. But now, with the new system, Patti is correct and we were told, on more than one ship, that they were now attached to the each person's folio. Each of us had to log in and set up an account. Sure would have been nice to have credit towards a package. :)

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

We tried Celebrity a few years ago and, while we would go again if the price was right, we much preferred the D+ perks on Royal.

We had heard for years how Celebrity was a "step above" Royal and we were a little disappointed.

Did you know that you can apply your D+ perks when sailing with Celerity? As long as you are platinum with RCCI you can get the same with Celebrity. That's why I just don't understand why RCCI is so different the Celebrity?

Did you know that you can apply your D+ perks when sailing with Celerity? As long as you are platinum with RCCI you can get the same with Celebrity. That's why I just don't understand why RCCI is so different the Celebrity?

Royal's perks do not directly transfer to Celebrity.

You get Celebrity perks when sailing on a Celebrity cruise. Royal's D+ level translates to Elite level on Celebrity.

Cruising on Royal has changed along with the times. We welcome the perks but they are not as important to us any more. Our first cruise in 1984 on the Sun Viking was wonderful with no perks. Our recent cruise on the Seranade was wonderful, comparing it is like apples to oranges some good some bad. Times change.

Trail, thank you so much for your valued and informed opinion:rolleyes:. We've been doing this for a while and have a pretty good idea of how the system works, but - a mini bottle of cheap wine is still a mini bottle of cheap wine. Perhaps you didn't read the entire post (that can be such a bother!), but I did mention that these issues may sound trivial. The robes were but one issue of several. The point is that RCI supposedly goes to these lengths in order to make their high tier members feel welcomed back - I feel that they came up short on this particular cruise.
Then why did you get a "mini" bottle of wine and not a full size bottle???? :D