Review of Xpedition Galapagos Inner Loop May 10-17, 2015

Host Jazzbeau

Thank you for the wonderful review! Like many others, this is a bucket list trip for me. It's great to hear all about it, and your pictures really added to your descriptions.

This is on my bucket list someday. I'm a bit nervous about the altitude sickness possibility. Being from FL, I can't get much closer to sea level my whole life..:(

I wouldn't worry about the 10-day cruise tour. Going on to Machu Picchu would be more of a problem. We had a l-o-n-g day of travel just getting to Quito (LGA-MIA, layover, then MIA-UIO) -- you will only have 1/3 of that. Don't accept the offer of free booze on the plane, drink lots of water, arrive not-exhausted -- and you probably won't have a problem at all. [We didn't on the return trip, from sea level Galapagos to Quito. Although they never did answer my question about how high sea level is there??? ;)]

I am traveling in a few days to go on this trip of a life time. There are 8 of us! Thank you so much for the in depth review. I have packed and unpacked both in my head and in real life so many times! Is there anything you brought but didn't need? Anything you wish you had brought?

I am traveling in a few days to go on this trip of a life time. There are 8 of us! Thank you so much for the in depth review. I have packed and unpacked both in my head and in real life so many times! Is there anything you brought but didn't need? Anything you wish you had brought?

I bought a rash guard for the wetsuit and never used it because the water was warm enough that I never used the wetsuit (since I kept the tags on, I was able to return it). For clothing, the emphasis is on COOL -- we have never gotten any burn through regular cotton clothing, so don't buy SPF stuff which is very hot. We also prefer lightweight long pants to shorts, because then we don't have to "grease up" our legs. But do use SPF50 on all exposed skin, and apply before each excursion (i.e. twice a day). We brought Tilley-style hats, which was probably overkill -- a ventilated cap or straw hat would be fine (add a bandana to protect your neck). There was no need for a jacket for warmth even in the evening (and I think you will have hotter weather than we did). We brought gore-tex rain jackets and left them in the cabin the one day we needed them -- thankfully we had cheapie ponchos with us!

• 2 weeks later...
any particular wine recommendations served on this cruise? leaving on Friday, June 26 for the June 28, 2015 sailing. I understand the Ecuadorian beer selection is pretty slim. thanks

All the red wines were quite good, as were the couple of whites that I tasted. My preference was the 35 Sur Reserva Carmenere, which they only served late into the cruise. I assume you could get it every night if you knew to ask. They had 3 Ecuadorian beers, but as far as I could see they were all basically lagers -- good, but not very different from each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for this great and helpful review. I am booked for the inner loop in May 2016. I have 2 questions: is there a gift shop on board where you could buy a few souvenirs - t shirt, hat, figurine of some of the wildlife you saw? Also, will this trip be OK for someone who can not swim and has never gone snorkeling? Thanks so much for all the information.

Thank you for terrific review and pictures. My friend and I are booked for early December and I have a couple of questions. Is a backpack necessary? I have "fanny pack" that holds small camera, binoculars, two water bottles, and small odds and ends like bandaids. Is a rolling suitcase acceptable, or do I need to pack in a large duffle? Thanks.

Thanks so much for this great and helpful review. I am booked for the inner loop in May 2016. I have 2 questions: is there a gift shop on board where you could buy a few souvenirs - t shirt, hat, figurine of some of the wildlife you saw? Also, will this trip be OK for someone who can not swim and has never gone snorkeling? Thanks so much for all the information.

Yes, there is a small gift shop. Very small. And they didn't have a single item with Blue Footed Boobies on it. But there is lots of time for shopping on the last day -- we were able to buy my BFB cap from several choices!

The swimming and snorkeling opportunities were always at the end of an excursion so you could just wade in the water a little, or lie on the beach, or walk around a bit [you aren't allowed to wander off on your own], or take an early zodiac back to the ship. It wouldn't detract from the experience at all.

Thank you for terrific review and pictures. My friend and I are booked for early December and I have a couple of questions. Is a backpack necessary? I have "fanny pack" that holds small camera, binoculars, two water bottles, and small odds and ends like bandaids. Is a rolling suitcase acceptable, or do I need to pack in a large duffle? Thanks.

The fanny pack sounds like it holds all you want for a hike-type excursion. We used a back pack when we wanted to bring the provided brown towels to dry our feet on wet landings -- and then left the pack on the beach while we hiked since the hikes always come back to the same spot. The only risk with that is finding a sea lion using your pack as a pillow [really! didn't happen to us, but saw it :)]

Rolling suitcases are fine -- there is a long walk from the Baltra airport lounge to the busses, where this will come in handy for your carry-on. The ship personnel handle the checked luggage, and rolling suitcases are ok there too.

Thank you for the quick reply. Just what I needed to know. It sounds like the backpack could be very "low tech" since I would not be carrying it for a long excursion. I had pictured something more complex with well padded shoulder straps, waist belt, ventilation in the back panel, etc. Nice to know it's not needed.

Thank you for your response, Jazzbeau. Isn't it strange that the small gift shop on the Expedition does not sell anything with the blue footed boobies on it? I would think that would be a top seller! That is certainly what DH and I hope to get. You said there is plenty of time to shop on the last day. Do you mean that final day back in Quito? Are there lots of shops near the hotel to buy souvenirs?

Having done some research, I found that for US citizens, no visa is needed, only a passport. Also, that the US dollar is the official currency. Can you confirm that?

My final question is about vaccinations. From what I read on the CDC website, it appears that none are required, but hepatitis A and typhoid are recommended because you can get those diseases from contaminated food or water. I'm sure all food/water on the ship is fine, but I'm wondering about food/drinks for the three days we will be in Quito. Are any meals provided by the hotel? And for those that aren't, where did you eat, how did you know what was safe? Do you know if many people got the hepatitis A and typhoid shots before going to Ecuador? Thank you in advance for all your information.

Thank you for your response, Jazzbeau. Isn't it strange that the small gift shop on the Expedition does not sell anything with the blue footed boobies on it? I would think that would be a top seller! That is certainly what DH and I hope to get. You said there is plenty of time to shop on the last day. Do you mean that final day back in Quito? Are there lots of shops near the hotel to buy souvenirs?

No, I mean the last day on Xpedition. You go to the town of Puerto Ayora on Santa Cruz Island, which has lots of souvenir stores, and you have free time to shop. Lots of choices.

Having done some research, I found that for US citizens, no visa is needed, only a passport. Also, that the US dollar is the official currency. Can you confirm that?

All true.

My final question is about vaccinations. From what I read on the CDC website, it appears that none are required, but hepatitis A and typhoid are recommended because you can get those diseases from contaminated food or water. I'm sure all food/water on the ship is fine, but I'm wondering about food/drinks for the three days we will be in Quito. Are any meals provided by the hotel? And for those that aren't, where did you eat, how did you know what was safe? Do you know if many people got the hepatitis A and typhoid shots before going to Ecuador? Thank you in advance for all your information.

We were not advised that any shots are required or recommended for this cruise. DW and I had gotten Hep A and Typhoid shots for our Panama Canal cruise, which was probably overly cautious but they do last a long time so we're covered for wherever now.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much for posting your wonderful review. Your vivid review tipped the scales and we pulled the trigger and just booked our Inner-Loop cruise (11 night) for next July.

You won't regret it. Happy cruising!

PS -- Be sure to follow the Mega Roll Call thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2069149

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I have a few questions that I cannot seem to find any information on.

1. How far is it between islands?

2. Are you constantly in sight of land?

3. Where does the boat anchor at night? In sight of land or open waters?

4. Are there any personal water crafts on the Xpedition such as kayaks?

5. Can you snorkel right of the Xpedition or do they always take you to shore?

6. If you were to do another Galapagos trip would you do a cruise again or would you do a land based trip?

7. Is the ship traveling during the night or are you pretty much anchored by dark?

Thanks for taking the time to post.

I have a few questions that I cannot seem to find any information on.

1. How far is it between islands?

Some are within sight of each other, others can be 20-50 miles apart. The itineraries are laid out so you are always positioned at an island at breakfast and the morning tours start right away.

2. Are you constantly in sight of land?

Not always, but much of the time.

3. Where does the boat anchor at night? In sight of land or open waters?

In sight of land (they have to be close enough to shore for the anchor to hit bottom).

4. Are there any personal water crafts on the Xpedition such as kayaks?

No.

5. Can you snorkel right of the Xpedition or do they always take you to shore?

Not right off the Xpedition, but there are two Advanced Snorkel excursions where you snorkel right off a Zodiac.

6. If you were to do another Galapagos trip would you do a cruise again or would you do a land based trip?

Absolutely a cruise! It's too hard getting from one island to another, and it would be a real time-suck if you had to get back to your hotel after each island visit. The "ship as a hotel" concept works really well here.

7. Is the ship traveling during the night or are you pretty much anchored by dark?

There are a couple of long runs where they have to sail at night to cover the distance. Frankly we didn't notice the difference in terms of movement -- the biggest movement was actually when anchored, as the ship rocked softly side to side (like a cradle).

Thanks for taking the time to post.

You're welcome!

I have another (probably controversial) question. The Xpedition is in essence an all-inclusive trip. Is a tip to the room steward, maid, and waiter customary?

No. Tipping is included, so I got to feel like an Australian. Have to admit, it's a better way to handle paying for service! Even in Quito we were told all gratuities had been taken care of.